Perch Devastated In Dressing Room After Game

24-year-old James Perch will have bad memories whenever anybody mentions Stoke City in the future, because it was his own goal yesterday that cost Newcastle all 3 points.

James Perch – diving header for Stoke City yesterday

Perch did not have a good second half yesterday, on returning to the Newcastle first team, and apparently Perch was very down in the dressing room after the game.

Hughton told the Shields Gazette today.

“He’ll be devastated – you always are when something like that happens,” “He’s the one person you don’t need to speak to after the game. As bad as we feel, nobody will be feeling worse than him.”

We hate to keep writing this but Newcastle had completely dominated the first half  player without creating one clear cut chance, which is why we though the Gods were on our side when Newcastle got a penalty after  Robert Huth’s foul on Andy Carroll and captain Kevin Nolan fired home form the spot.

And a good side would be able to hold that lead at home – but not Newcastle – not the Newcastle of the second half yesterday that looked so vulnerable to the high ball into the box.

Hughton continued:

“It was a combination of a couple of things – not doing enough in that second period, and also conceding.”   “I couldn’t fault the commitment of the players.”

“Even going into that last few minutes, I thought we could get back on level terms, but we didn’t have enough to break down a very resilient back line.”

“For me, this was a missed opportunity. We’re at home and leading 1-0, and played well enough in that first half without being on our best form.”  “We weren’t able to cap off a very good week.”

We just cannot continue throwing points away at home in the league against ordinary sides, because if we’ll do we’ll be in another relegation scrap this season, which is the very last thing we all want to see.

• Adssy Mccc

Sep 27, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Hi Ed, opening line says he cost us all three points….

would have been 1 point at the time it happend though!

• Angryman the Angry fan

Sep 27, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Good, coz he was shite!!

• GeordieDan

Sep 27, 2010 at 2:09 PM

The own goal could have happened to anyone but Perch in my opinion is way out of his depth in the Premier League and shouldn’t have been playing yesterday at all. Why wasn’t Ryan Taylor given the chance???

We should never have tried to play Stoke their way-the way they play game in game out, with our big men against theirs vying for balls coming into the box. Now that was very poor tactics.

Once again I have to ask why the hell were we playing 4-5-1 against a lower quality (allegedly) team???

Change it now PLEASE!!!!

• GeordieGerman

Sep 27, 2010 at 2:14 PM

Just to put things into context (again). Perch’s own goal was nowhere near as tragic as Duffs.

• Newcastle Rock

Sep 27, 2010 at 2:33 PM

We did not deserve to win especially after awful second half show. Carroll is not working hard as he used to when we were in coca cola champianship , he needs to improve quickly else there is extra space in the bench .
    ben arfa is a selfish players at times and slows down the attack.Still early days but I DONT think we should buy him after his loan expires.

• StuW

Sep 27, 2010 at 2:56 PM

After my anger calmed down from yesterday, I feel sorry for Perch, you have to think, if he doesn’t make contact with the ball, there was a Stoke player stood right behind him with a tap in. Yesterday there was alot more wrong in the game, in fact Perch played quite well up until that point. Enrique was lucky not to be sent off after trying to gouge Fuller’s eyes out(albeit, Fuller made a meal of it). You cannot raise your hands like that at this level. Ben Arfa was tearing the Stoke defence apart at will, and it was a mistake to take him off at that point. From his substitution, we lost our spark, we barely created enough attacking play, and we were poor.

• Visten

Sep 27, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Newcastle Rock you have to be joking right?
    I bet you would not have said that about Ben Arfa after the Everton game. You said it yourself still early days yet in the same breath you say we should not sign him? He has to be given a chance and what I have seen from him he is top quality considering this is much tougher league to adapt to than the French league. When he gets the ball a buzz is generated in the crowd to see what he will do and you can not have to many players like this in your team. Yes he is over eager to impress and needs to look up more as a great pass is just as good as a great run but he is one of the players that has real upside in our team.

• Visten

Sep 27, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Stuw, I totally agree, what if Perch had ducked under the ball and it was buried by a Stoke player Huth I think it was behind him, he would have looked a right wally. There are own goals and then real own goals. Own goals are the sort you cant avoid (you die if you do and die if you dont) ask Perch about these, The real own goals are where the player may slice the ball in the net or lob his goalkeeper from a back bass etc etc.

• alex84

Sep 27, 2010 at 3:08 PM

Newcastle Rock i respect you have your own opinion but to say we shouldnt sign him is a joke, he played average yest and still looked dangerous, we needed him in those last few minutes chasing a goal, him and tiote have been very good additions, tiote looked very good yesterday again, he totally bossed the middle.

• Malaysia-RASHID

Sep 27, 2010 at 3:21 PM

if he (perch) do again like that but that time is scoring for us, for sure all fans will pointed you (perch) is awesome. So, lets forget this and keep moving to next game. Lets HWL!!

• shearermania

Sep 27, 2010 at 3:30 PM

problem with the own goal was – perch positioning was wrong to begin with – he gets on the wrong side of the stoke player and therefor has to make the header…..its pretty woeful to be honest…and to all the supporters who says ” give the lad a chance” i can only say this ” remember the wolves game – he should have been sent off and concede a penalty which the ref didnt was a stonewall penalty and he got away with it…..sorry not good enough…taxi for perchy

• callie9

Sep 27, 2010 at 3:31 PM

I know everybody is entitled to an opinion but some of the ones on here are woeful.
    It’s clear to me that BA was asked at HT to stick to the left wing instead of drifting inside. That totally wasted him and he wasn’t in the game at all in the second half. Perch actually played well I thought, up until the OG. He’s stronger and taller than RTaylor which is probably why he played, and RTaylor is awful in the air – which was Stoke’s main threat. Jonas came on and looked threatening and I thought Routledge had a decent game, esp in the first half. I think everybody would like to see HBA in Nolan’s position, with Jonas on the left. Perch made a mistake but jesus leave the kid alone, he’s been solid and Etherington didn’t really do all that much against him in open play. I’ll always defend Hughton but he needs to play more offensively at home, he’s made Nolan indespensible by making him captain and it’s looking like it’s holding us back, as he often ghosts through games. Ah christ man. I hate Newcastle. But I love them so much. Lol.

• callie9

Sep 27, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Shearermania – you played football competitively? I play full back and I know for a fact any footballer would stick their head on the ball. The marking wasn’t at fault, he was a yard away from him and in front of his man.

• shearermania

Sep 27, 2010 at 3:36 PM

if we would have played raylor – we could have attcked down the right hand side with raylor overlapping – perch is way too afraid to run the channels so he sits back and let routledge take to men on and the he drift inside and thats the end of the attack……..listen perch is probably a nice lad but unfortunately hes not a very good footballer…..he wasnt good enough for forrest so why should he suddenly be good enough for us………get rid

• shearermania

Sep 27, 2010 at 3:40 PM

yes ive played football and thats why im saying his positioning is soo poor … even happened at the first goal where he gets stucked under the ball and huth heads it across…..
    his starting position is wrong time after time..not just this stoke game but hge constantly looks like hes out of depth.
    hes worse than charvet

• G

Sep 27, 2010 at 3:43 PM

I quote ‘hes worse than charvet’

Oh come on! Lets not get too abusive here!

• ToonAndy

Sep 27, 2010 at 3:46 PM

I’m not angry at Perch for the own goal… it was obvious what he tried to do but on this ocassion didn’t turn out in our favour… To me, the formation is so obvious, I can’t understand why Houghton doesn’t put out this line up…

Simple as that…. we have a good attacking force but also good defensively… This 4-5-1 makes this much more difficult for Carroll to find his game… I have played upfront on my own and your not half as dangerous without your fellow striker…

I love you Newcastle!!

• shearermania

Sep 27, 2010 at 3:47 PM

well i havent looked up charvets stats but cant top 6 games 5 bookings 1 own goal and a bundle of errors…..
    when we play smith its like playing with only 10 players from the off… we got tiote and we got 11 players but noooooo perch dosnt count ..its back to 10 – thank god he didnt play smioth and perch together cause then it would be like plaing 9…..

• shearermania

Sep 27, 2010 at 3:50 PM

problem with your formation is its not much different to the the one hughton plays with nolan supporting carroll….
    we need a pacy forward to run the channels – ive been saying this for soo long….try to look at the games we’ve played and see how few off sides we got – its because no one is running for the through ball…its too predictable…….
    when we played chelski we played 2 forwards and loverboy has pace – he might not be the game all the time but he creates space for the others…and thats how you play football

• G

Sep 27, 2010 at 3:57 PM

I feel your pain shearermania, but I think Perch has age on his side. Last night I said quite a few harsh words about him, however, after reflecting on it during the night I acknowledge that you could see how devestated the lad was, straight after, and at the end of the game. I think Perch was brought in as back up only, and yet he has been thrown in at the deepent through circumstances. Danny Simpson is my first choice RB from the ones at our disposal. Hopefully now he is training agian he should be back by the muckems game, if not sooner.

• shearermania

Sep 27, 2010 at 4:01 PM

you are absolutely right…..

perch can only get better……….

but in my very humble opinion i think its time for him to warm the bench a bit

• ksmit

Sep 27, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Honestly there were some serious issues with the tactics used yesterday. Obviously what we were doing was NOT working as I can’t remember one shot on target in the first half in one of the most boring halves I’ve ever seen. HBA off for Jonas seems odd as HBA was the only one creating movement in the middle. Jonas should have come one for the ineffective Barton (Every cross too high and out at the back) or Routledge who just couldn’t get it in on the night. Tiote never should have come off for Ameobi who was obviously going to be ineffective based on the Stoke defense and Carol’s complete ineffectiveness. We didn’t have any players make an effective run into the box and (IMO) should have brought Ranger on for Routledge, and Jonas for Barton, moving HBA into an attacking midfielder role. If Ameobi was to come on it should have been for Nolan or Carol. This would have completely changed our attack and hopefully would have at least created a few more chances…

• dave 1961

Sep 27, 2010 at 4:30 PM

I the blame should not be put at perch, it should go straight to the manager, Hughtons team selection against poor teams is appalling and this is shown in the crowds, 5-4-1 at home against these sides gives them a boost, that’s reason we have had two defeats, against the teams we should be dispatching with ease too. 41,900 crowds because no one want to watch the rubbish Hughtons dishing up. if he does not drop Perch, Nolan, & Routledge, he will be on the dole by Christmas, Ashley will not stand by while the crowds plummet. by the subs he made I can only assume that the two he took off were not his players, as the ones we know where his seem untouchables.

• Thump

Sep 27, 2010 at 4:31 PM

Where I was sitting (level 2), Perch was to my immediate right – I was looking at his back and the second I saw the ball going to him, I knew what would happen. There was no chance of him doing anything BUT heading it into the net from where he was. I have no sympathy for him – he could have blocked the ball or even just ran at it and hoofed it out of play – but instead he chose to knock it into his own net. I’m sorry, but as a RB myself, there are so many different ways you can deal with that and when you’re standing where Perch was – that is absolutely the last resort.

• g3ordos

Sep 27, 2010 at 8:26 PM

I think yesterday illustrated what we all know. The back four has a lot of talent and the makings of a solid unit for years to come, but the positioning of them on many occasions yesterday (and in other matches so far) shows a severe lack of experience and naievety.

Colo looks a class act, but he’s not an organiser of the back four… time for Campbell to sort them out…

Maybe we should try:

…………….. ……CARROLL…………………….

• Gazzzz

Sep 27, 2010 at 8:34 PM

I agree with ToonAndy’s fomation, with Jonas and HBA switching sides now and then. To me Perch always looks out of his death when things get tough; at the most important times when we are under threat he’s never to be seen in his position. Ryan Taylor gets my vote way ahead of Perch, giving us a more attacking option when needed; Taylor’s crosses are far better also.
    It’s time for Hughton to ditch the 4-5-1 formation, especially at home.

• munch27

Sep 27, 2010 at 9:11 PM

Colo Sol Williamson Jose

Routledge Joey Tiote Jonas

Big Andy

Would be my team for Manc shitty but don’t think Hoots has the BALLS for it.

• Black n whiteSi

Sep 27, 2010 at 10:15 PM

A few people have mentioned this on various comments but we need to be playing 4-4-2 for sure. And drop Nolan, he is not a premier league standard attacking midfirlder and why is nobody mentioning this. Yes he was excellent in the fizzy pop league……….but that says it all, he was good there. We need another stricker to partner Carroll and he’s now going off the boil with our poor 4.5.1 set-up

• StuW

Sep 27, 2010 at 11:45 PM

@ B&W Si
    I have to agree with most of you comments. Carroll needs a striker to play off, with some pace, so he can flick the ball onto a player who can potentially break the offside trap. Nolan started well, and has drifted off, but I think he is good enough for EPL.

I think the REAL problem is Chris Hughton, he is showing his ‘rookie’ managerial style, making substitutions at the wrong time, taking off the wrong players, and not having the balls to push forward.

I can still see him lining a defensive looking formation at City. And i still don’t see why he is trying to play Nolan as a Trequartista. We have two world-class ability players in the attacking third(Jonas & Benny), who will create chances, and will create goals, and Nolan can sit in CM, playing where he is best, as a Box2Box CM, dropping deep when needs be, and pushing forward. Tiote is the key, he can sit back, break attacks up, and pushing the ball to the front.

Put it this way, if he doesn’t sort it fr ManShitty, we will be castrated.

• Brutooon

Sep 28, 2010 at 12:25 AM

when players didn;t perform, we change the players – thats the basic of any management !

plus we got a reliable right back in ryantaylor (remember he score twice already)

5 yellow cards and an own goal, what else are you waiting CH?

• Sav

Sep 28, 2010 at 12:39 AM

I hope Hoots’ post-match analysis is generally more coherent than this!
    WTF?!? No wonder Perch looks confused.

• mattnufc

Sep 28, 2010 at 1:44 AM

When is Simpson back? Perch has got to go

• jlarsen

Sep 28, 2010 at 1:50 AM

our right attacking slot is not good enough at the moment. Routledge was ok at times in the first half, but I think he could do better when coming of the bench. I think we should play Ben Arfa on the right flank, and let him cut inside to shoot more often. Play R.Taylor as right back, so that we can have a right footed player overlapping who is also able to put some pace and curve on the ball. Tioté should be our anchorman in midfield, letting Barton and Nolan show a more offensive display. Our best left winger is Jonás Gutierrez, with his high work-rate and decent dribbling. Yes, he cannot seem to find the final ball, but if we change our overall tactical approach he can fit in really well with Enrique on the left flank. We need more options up front, so if we let our wingers cut inside more often, Carroll will not be so alone in the middle. Barton and Nolan should always look to support Carroll behind him. We should definitely not play Ameobi alongside him, it would be better to let Løvenkrands come on, especially against Stoke, his pace could give their defenders something to worry about. Perch should not start the next game, that is for sure. We all hope CH finally chooses Raylor, and I believe he will. And I hope Simpson will come back from injury soon. Colo, Enrique is very good players, and Williamson has played pretty well this season. When a team keep pumping the ball into the box, we should not let them try again and again. Give THEM something to worry about, counter attacks. Newcastle United should never try to DEFEND a 1-0 -lead, we should always look to kill the game with a second goal. I know that with a bit of luck and a different tactical approach in our latest two home games, we could have been 2nd in the league right now. Concentrate and try to avoid the silly mistakes that cost us the points. I think the Blackpool game was pretty unlucky, but the Stoke game was purely down to bad tactical management in the second half. Wrong substitutions, lack of motivation and will to succeed. Attack is the best way of defending.

Sep 28, 2010 at 4:53 AM

Missed the whole game, but managed to follow it
    on the text on internet in the hotel.

Felt sorry for Perch, but i think what happened could of happened to anyone! We need to just take this on the chin and go and win at Eastlands.

A good strike partner for Carroll would be van Wolfswinkel, who is top scorer now in NL.
    but the Reds are also reported to be in the race to get him in January, so don,t hold your breath!

As for the bad result sunday, i,me not really that fussed, it,s one game and that does,nt ruin our whole season. The shame is that we should be winning at home against teams like Stoke and Blackpool. Can,t decide at the moment if its bad tactics or just bad luck.
    Perch certainly should,nt blame himself for his own goal though!

• Bao Zheng

Sep 28, 2010 at 5:41 AM

Perch – every new player we buy is vilified on this and other sites as ‘not good enough’, some like Jose then become one of our best players. Give the guy a chance. On the own goal someone should have been on the post ready to attack the cross away from goal, that’s a tactical decision by Hooton / CC. I think HBA is actually holding the ball looking for a run which never comes, not greedy. Draw at Citeh?

• Bao Zheng

Sep 28, 2010 at 5:44 AM

jlarsen appointed assistant manager in shock announcement …

• jlarsen

Sep 28, 2010 at 8:04 AM

heheh.. sorry for bad english, located in Norway.

• buzza

Sep 28, 2010 at 8:50 AM

Perch was not at fault for this loss, he did all he could and it would have been a goal anyway had he left that ball…
    Carrol was much more at fault on the first goal, given that he followed the ball thinking he could get to it (impossible!) doing his “superman” act. If he had stayed on his man (Jones), they wouldn’t have got that easy header…

• Klatoon

Sep 28, 2010 at 9:51 AM

jlarsen is right,We have two fullbacks who can cross the ball really well so we should play Jonas on the left,Ben Arfa on the right.Allow both to cut inside at will,making room for Enrique and Raylor to advance and whip in those crosses.Result= more shots on gol from the incutting Jonas and Arfa plus,more bodies in the box when the Enrique/Raylor crosses come in2 th box. Only drawback,Raylor is not good enough defensively.Also Routledge to always come on towards the end because he has alot to offer with his pace against tiring defenders.

• Davies

Sep 28, 2010 at 1:57 PM

“I’m sorry, but as a RB myself, there are so many different ways you can deal with that and when you’re standing where Perch was – that is absolutely the last resort”

Thump: You think you’d do a better job presumably. Been scouted?

Sorry mate, not looking for an argument, but surely giving the benefit of your experience to a professional footballer is a bit deluded.

Also, anyone saying RTaylor shoud replace Perch, please try to remember what he’s like in that position. He’s a good, versatile player and he’s good with free kicks, but he got skinned repeatedly by van Aanholt last week at Chelsea.

I like Perch and I think with the right person showing him the ropes he will improve enormously. I don’t really care how or why he went, I’d really like Beye back, and SOON.