The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Reported After QPR Play-Maker In January

11:23 pm, Sunday, October 3rd, 2010 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 24 Comments

With the long term injury to Hatem Ben Arfa and Newcastle’s current position in 6th bottom place in the Premier League, Newcastle will again delve into the transfer market for reinforcements in January.

Adel Taarabt – 21 year-old QPR play-maker

The very last thing Newcastle want is another relegation season, and while we don’t think that will happen,  mainly because of the great fight and spirit in the side, the club will not take any chances and will bring new players in during the January transfer window.

And news tonight that Newcastle have been linked with QPR play-maker Adel Taarabt, as manager Chris Hughton will now look to bring in new attacking options.

Former Lens and Spurs player Taarabt has been a big success at Loftus Road, and at just 21 he’s the right age for the players Newcastle are looking to bring into St. James Park to build for the future.

The player was born in Fes, Morocco and has impressed Newcastle manager Chris Hughton, and the news is that Chris wants to bring the player to Tyneside in January, even though the lad just moved permanently to QPR last summer, after being on loan from 2009 at QPR.

Taarabt cost just £600K in the summer, but his price will of course have gone up some since then, and it may be that QPR will want to sell the lad at a good profit in January.

But it’s clear with the long term injury to Ben Arfa today, Newcastle will need to bring in some creative players in January.

The 5’11”  Taarabt joined Lens in 2004, and then moved to Spurs on loan in January 2007, and then signed permanently for the London club in June of the same year.    He then joined QPR on loan last year and signed permanently for the club this summer.

The 21 year-old played for the France U-16, U-17 and U-18 sides and then opted to represent Morocco at senior level, and he’s now played 8 times for his country of birth with 3 goals, and since the lad has big ambitions,  he may be more than interested in joining Newcastle in January.

The Moroccan has so far played 75 first class games with 9 goals.

Tags: Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

24 responses so far ↓

• 1 clooneytoon // Oct 3, 2010 at 11:51 PM

would be a good acquistion again by hughton, has great potential but didnt really fulfill it at spurs.

• 2 Tee Oh Tay // Oct 3, 2010 at 11:58 PM

would love him to come in, completely running the show at QPR. from what i’ve seen, if he isn’t scoring, he’s setting them up. way too big for the championship, but is he big enough for the prem? would slot in nicely behind carroll in place of nolan

• 3 Howay The Lads // Oct 4, 2010 at 12:12 AM

Not sure he’d cut it in the Prem. But I do think he could be the perfect player for the CAM role we need. He would be perfect for that

• 4 Thump // Oct 4, 2010 at 12:18 AM

Haven’t seen him play, but the championship is hit and miss at best.

• 5 Howay The Lads // Oct 4, 2010 at 12:25 AM

Anyone else hear the disgraceful comments on MOTD?

I wonder whether Lee Dickson would still say the challenge was necessary if his career was ended at 23 from a needless tackle.

I wonder if he’d feel the same if his son was the best winger in the country and his career was ended at 23.

Would he bollox!

For that tackle de Jong should be banned for 5 games and docked 2 weeks wages. Every time after that if he went in to hurt a player (which could be assessed after the game by the ref) the punishments should be doubled.

Until serious punishments are handed out for these tackles nobody is gonna stop making them.

I also think three game national bans should happen if players make these tackles. I know that wouldn’t apply to many lower league players, but it would cut down on these fouls for sure.

Could you imagine if someone like de Jong was banned from playing for Holland for three games? He’d be scared of losing his place so would stop making these tackles.

I think I might write to the F.A. about football nowadays. It’s crap :lol:

• 6 john_cena163 // Oct 4, 2010 at 12:28 AM

Cum on CH get dìs lad.

• 7 Warwick Hunt // Oct 4, 2010 at 12:41 AM

Not sure what will happen with HBA now, usually when a player on loan gets injured they go back to their parent club but with HBA it is a little bit more complex. OM didn’t want him and he found a new club only for OM to say they wanted to sell outright without the loan. He doesn’t want to play for them, they don’t want him, he must feel like a player without a club. Hope we say “stay with us and we will look after you” and he comes back for us big style. Get well soon HBA, all our Geordie Hearts are with you.

• 8 baro // Oct 4, 2010 at 1:19 AM

He is a wonderful skillful play maker. I’d take him. Have seen this young guy play lots of times and he is a very great play maker. Don’t know if he will cut perfectly into the premier league.

• 9 baro // Oct 4, 2010 at 1:21 AM

We are also after Paraguay international Lucas Barrios. He is a good player but i was not a great fan of his in the world cup. I don’t like him very much. Ruined too many chances for Paraguay in the world cup. But you never know what he might do in the premier league

• 10 austoon // Oct 4, 2010 at 1:43 AM

I dunno if anyone’s mentioned it but I will anyway. Liverpool lost to Blackpool at home. There’s something to cheer us up I guess.

• 11 mashearer // Oct 4, 2010 at 4:31 AM

liverpool to relegate in 2012

• 12 Thump // Oct 4, 2010 at 4:48 AM

Eh, I wouldn’t say no to Barrios if we offloaded Shola. He’s a good strong poacher, but he has one of the worst first touches I’ve ever seen in a striker (very heavy footed). I follow the Bundesliga casually as I 2nd FC Koln and he hassled us a few times in the Bundesliga. Dortmund are a big team in Germany too, with some great support… problem being, I’m not sure the lad could hack it with us. He thrives off pacey support from both flanks and through balls from midfield.

Here’s a decent montage of all his goals last season. As you can see there’s one or two fortune goals but most of them are simple poaches – something that we definitely need here. No disrespect to him, he’s got a smashing right boot and can generate huge power from a light jog (see: Ben Arfa) and he definitely knows where the target is.

I will admit I’ve only see him play with Dortmund so I don’t know if he’s merely adapting to their style of gameplay (largely counter attacking from what I’ve seen) so take my words with a pinch of salt.

Re: Ben Arfa, I hope we sign the lad permanently. We’ve already shown that injuries will not get in the way of a bargain (see: Gosling) and frankly for a lad of HBAs talents, I’m definitely in support. He’s an amazing player and has shown great attitude in his short time here – he’s also shown immense gratitude towards the fans and the club for giving him a clean slate and the backing he deserves and frankly needs.

• 13 gsmith // Oct 4, 2010 at 7:13 AM

Boys don’t get too excited because I can assure you that this wont happen. Ask your selves the question; why on earth would Taarabt move to Newcastle when there is a very good chance you will drop back down again, but most importantly with Mittel now calling the shots at QPR, unlike your Mr Ashley he has more money even than the Chelsea scumbag and simply wont let the move go through because of his ambition to be playing quality football in the Prem.
    Tarrabt has just signmed a 3 year deal with QPR and I don’t think you would pay what could be demmanded for him.
    I think this rumour should be left to die somewhere in a cold dark room!
    Really think about it lads why on earth would he want to leave not just a winning team, but a team that are playing the best football I have ever seen to go to a team that in my oppinion are going to struggle as will most who go up by the way!
    Sorry to dash your hopes but kiss this one good bye!

• 14 Visten // Oct 4, 2010 at 8:57 AM

It is simple really this season……..
    Nigel De Jong, Karl Henry, Mick McCarthy and the officials can suck my chebs long time. Defensive midfielders are seen to disrupt the oppositions attack I understand that and also understand that players can have a rush of blood to the head when going in for a challenge, HOWEVER De Slong and Henry do this every bloody week which means that they are not footballers but enforcers that have no place in modern football but would do well in the NHL. All the best to HBA and hope that he returns the same player next season in the black and white.

• 15 Malaysia-RASHID // Oct 4, 2010 at 9:43 AM

Feel like my season end too early when saw HBA being tackle like that. I hope he will back soon for us.

So, what will be Hugthon plans after this, YES i can see there will be chnace for Guthrie to shine. Last night playing some PES game just make hard tackle to De Jong.

• 16 Malaysia-RASHID // Oct 4, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Just finish watch the Wise scouting play youtube… if this guy we want to sign, I would be in dream again like we sign for HBA. Quality young boy.

• 17 Thump // Oct 4, 2010 at 10:49 AM

Lol do one, gsmith. Very good chance well drop back down? Its early doors yet and I have every confidence we most certainly will not – in fact QPR have more chance of doing the yoyo than we do. We have a squad of premier league players who were unfortunately relegated due to the years of abuse behind closed doors (no settling time, new manager every 5 minutes etc. Etc). We’ve cleaned out that rotten wood and it’s showing quite nicely. Yes were lacking in a few departments but we can certainly manage as we’ve proven already.

Why go to a bigger club in a higher division? Stepping stones mate.

Although I do agree that we won’t get him. As you said he has just signed a new contract, has been on loan from spuds for two seasons, I’ve a feeling he’s quite happy where he is.

• 18 gsmith // Oct 4, 2010 at 11:13 AM

Thump: Mate I hope you don’t drop because I used to love coming up there for a weekend away!
    What do you boys make of Wayne Routlage, has he still got an attitude problem?

• 19 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Oct 4, 2010 at 2:14 PM

What happened to our interest Ricky van Wolfswinkel van FC Utrecht. Now top scorer in the Dutch competition.

As far as de Jong is concerned, he,s been dropped from the national team because of his violent play. This was a quote from the coach, in the AD nieuws blad this morning.
    The game was sent out live on satelite TV here.

• 20 slazberger // Oct 4, 2010 at 2:36 PM

this has got the boumsong transfer wrote all over it. he was available in the summer and we didnt sign him so why sign him now for an exaggerated fee because QPR have had a good start to the season? lets not forget this guy was there last season and were close to relegation until warnock took over

• 21 HTT // Oct 4, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Jog on gsmith you troll, this is an NUFC blog – we have no interest in hearing rubbish from other club’s fans.

• 22 Robby Bobson // Oct 5, 2010 at 12:14 AM

I was shocked spurs sold him, especially for next to nothing to a team in the championship.

I think you have to base your team around him, but we did it for arfa with nolan dropping deep, and i think tarabt can have just as much of an impact, if hes played correctly.

Harry once said he is the most gifted player hes ever seen but you have to use him right.

• 23 gsmith // Oct 5, 2010 at 8:32 AM

HTT : You just sit up there in your little bubble my old mate, obviously real out side oppinion or truth don’t wash with you then my friend!
    I bet you don’t even go to watch do you!
    Dream on about Tarrabt you don’t have half a hope of signing him .
    See you next season, but will you come to Loftus Road?

• 24 brighter // Oct 5, 2010 at 7:26 PM

No interesting on him at all.It’s nonsense that rumour to be emerge.

previous post: Ban Arfa Has Double Fracture Of The Leg – Out For Many Months