Hatem Ben Arfa Vows To Fight Back From Adversity

Ben Arfa’s agent has this morning said that the Newcastle winger has vowed to fight back from the double leg break he suffered at Manchester City yesterday.

Hatem Ben Arfa – being carried off yesterday

The 23-year-old midfielder was stretchered off at Eastlands on Sunday after a strong challenge from Nigel De Jong during the Premier League clash, and it looked bad when he was given oxygen on the field, and the physios were keeping both his legs straight.

The Frenchman was taken straight to hospital and will undergo an operation today after the Newcastle club confirmed last night that he had broken both his left tibia and fibula.

Despite the serious injury, which could rule the on loan star out for a minimum of six months, Ben Arfa’sagent Michel Ouazine claims the Frenchman is still in a positive mood and already saying he will fight back from the injury.

Ouazine told L’Equipe this morning:

“I had a phone call with Hatem while he was in the ambulance, and I felt I was more shocked than himself,” “He told me there is just one thing to do – fight back.”

We see there are a few comments of some of our readers who have suffered broken legs.

I had a double break of my tibia and fibular in 1969 while playing for England Universities against the England Amateur team at Hillsborough in Sheffield, and you could hear the crack throughout the stadium.

I knew something was wrong when I was falling and my lower left leg was swinging around. When I landed on the ground the left leg went off to the right, and I knew then something was very wrong.

And it didn’t help when some of my team mates came running up and put thair hands to their faces at the sight of it all – no that didn’t help at all, and the morphine wasn’t too good either.  It was a clean break through both bones, and that was in late April, and I was back playing again in the December of that year – so around 8 months in recovery.

Ben Arfa will of course get the very best treatment possible, and they will have ways of ensuring there is limited atrophy of the leg, which was one of my main problems, and the left leg even now is smaller in size than the right one.

If it’s a clean break Ben Arfa should be able to recover OK, but of course there will be doubts about him,  and we have no idea how this leaves the player as far as Newcastle are concerned, because he’s not going to make 25 appearances this season for the Tyneside club, that’s for sure.

But that’s the least of the worries right now – and we wish the lad all the best for a great recovery – the Newcastle fans have certainly taken this boy to their hearts.

• rkw

Oct 4, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Does anyone know exactly what this does do to the agreement? Obviously he won’t make 25 games even with the speediest of recoveries. I do know the lad is in top top shape.

I would hate to lose him completely over the De Jong disgrace, but I just don’t know the particulars. In America we hear almost every aspect of a situation when something like this happens. Lawyers get on ESPN and talk about how the contract is set up and what obligations there are etc. But, in England it seems that everything is so close to the vest that no one knows.

• Davies

Oct 4, 2010 at 11:30 AM

It would have been nice if Atkinson had let Hughton know that he was going to hand the game to Citeh before we’d kicked off yesterday. At least then we could have risked less important players.

Two positives for me:

In among all of the hoo har about bad reffing and horrific injuries, did anybody notice that Perch had a really good game?
    He made a couple of fine crosses too!

Okay, the other isn’t really a positive, but I’m getting sick of hearing people bleating on about how Hughton should replace Nolan with Ben Arfa. It ain’t gonna happen and now he’s crocked you can all stop pretending it will.

I was, however, amazed to see that, with Ben Arfa not even in a cast yet, there are one or two posters on another thread already planning to replace Nolan with Adel Taarabt, who doesn’t even play for us. Nice one lads.

• archaeomag

Oct 4, 2010 at 12:00 PM

What shocked me, is that you could hear the leg break, a distinctive sickening crack was quite audible on the TV, Atkinson is deaf as well as blind.

On the doom front, at least we don’t have all our financial eggs in one basket as with Owen et al; the ‘talent’ is spread, somewhat thinly, across the squad across the team, and we have reasonable cover in most positions. As we have never relied on Ben Arfa, this softens the blow, although we were all looking forward to a bit of Gallic creativity.
    @ Davies
    Perch is definitely improving, at least he was not booked!

• shearermania

Oct 4, 2010 at 12:04 PM

broke my fibula and tibia 5 years ago when i was in my late twenties…..happened after a football game getting totally s…faced and fell down some stairs…..

with all the metal plates, recovery etc i have/will never again play a football game – not even a standard sunday league game…..
    I know these pro’s are made of different material than me – but i doubt if he’s ever going to be the same….i think Cisse had a similar injury a few years back

• Ericles

Oct 4, 2010 at 12:04 PM

I think in the circumstances Nolan is the type of player we are going to need in the coming weeks. I just wish he was more authoritative as captain on the pitch. I hope we can put on HBA’s permanent move on temporary hold. We must look after him in Newcastle cos I do not know what Marseilles health service is like. Anyway I think we need our staff to help get him better. He wanted to come and play for NUFC so we must look after him to repay his loyalty.

• Sav

Oct 4, 2010 at 12:06 PM

We can buy him until the end of the season for a fixed price. If we play him more than 25 times while on loan to us this season, it is a requirement that we buy him. Obviously, he won’t be playing 25 matches now before May. Hopefully, Hatem will be fit in time to prove his ability is unimpaired by the injury before then so that the club can buy him in confidence.
    – We have taken a gamble on Gosling with a 4-year contract, but then again, no transfer fee.

• callie9

Oct 4, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Perch was class yesterday mate I agree. Although Routledge isn’t half the player of HBA, I rate him in the Keith Gillespie mould and you can’t fault his desire, so he will make an able deputy. Unfortunately, I say this on here every time Shola plays up front – if we play him, he HAS to have a pacey striker up with him, because he is so lethargic and doesn’t put enough effort in for me. I’d love to see Guthrie in there instead of Nolan but I can’t see that happening, however now I’m concerned about the lack of flair we have in midfield (again). Unfortunately our January shopping is very likely to be from the Championship, so if we can bring in a couple of youngsters I’d be happy. However, I can’t see Taarabt coming, why would QPR sell their best player half way through the season with them doing so well? They have a very ambitious owner too, who is unlikely to sell. Our options are very limited. I trust Ashley will spend a few mil though because if he spends 5mil in January, it’ll be a lot cheaper than the revenue lose from another relegation.

• Bucks mag

Oct 4, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Get well soon Hatem!

• balubas1

Oct 4, 2010 at 1:01 PM

He might be never be the same. That left foot was a beautiful one.

I’m hoping though….

De Jong and the ref has ruined my whole season.

depresssssed…………………………………..