The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Ben Arfa – I’ll Be Back For The Brilliant Newcastle Fans

1:36 pm, Monday, October 4th, 2010 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 34 Comments

Hatem Ben Arfa  was due to undergo surgery in Manchester today after suffering a bad double fracture of his lower left leg.

Hatem Ben Arfa - taken off yesterday – waves to brilliant Newcastle fans

And Ben Arfa was able to talk to the Evening Chronicle today:

“I’ll be back. I will be working hard to play again in a black-and-white shirt and to perform again for the brilliant Newcastle fans.” “It will be a long road back, but I have to stay positive.”

Ben Arfa’s advisor and close friend Simon Stainrod  rushed to be on Tyneside today  to support his player, and Stainrod added:

“Hatem is in bits over the injury, but he will look to get his operation out of the way and then it’s the road back to recovery.”  “He will be doing all of his rehab at Newcastle and hopes to be back as quickly as possible.”

“That’s the sort of lad he is.”“It just shows his character when he sits up and claps the fans as he goes off.”  “It shows the feeling he has for the Newcastle fans, and I don’t think that many players would have done that in that situation.”

“He was enjoying everything at Newcastle.” “He felt under pressure at Marseilles, but he certainly felt comfortable here.”  “He’ll do everything in accordance with Newcastle and he’ll be back.”

De Jong apologised to Ben Arfa after the challenge, but of course the Newcastle manager Chris Hughton said the tackle should never have been made:

“It looks a bad injury for Ben Arfa, and that’s really where our thoughts are.” “My impression of the challenge was that it didn’t need to be made.”“I can’t honestly say there was real malice in the challenge, but it didn’t need to be made.”

And Newcastle goalkeeper Tim Krul spoke of his fellow countryman De Jong after the game and added:

“De Jong said he hit the ball and followed up.” “He gave his apologies to Chris, but we have a big injury.” “I didn’t see the tackle, but I saw him carried off.”

“It was a big shame. He’s a class player, and you don’t want anybody to be carried off with a big injury.”

DeJong has subsequently been dropped by the Holland side for their upcoming European qualifying games, and Martin Atkinson didn’t even think it was a foul.

So we  knew we were in trouble in this game after just 4 minutes and it proved to be right – we’ll see if anything happens this week because of Atkinson’s woeful referring yesterday.

We don’t expect anything will,  because it seems the referees always hunker down after these type of games, when their performances have been pathetic.

Tags: Hatem Ben Arfa · Newcastle News · Tim Krul

34 responses so far ↓

• 1 G // Oct 4, 2010 at 1:40 PM

I hope he does come back sooner, rather than later, and I also hope he is the same player he was. Get well soon mate.

• 2 MacToon // Oct 4, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Absolutely gutted for the lad and ofc for NUFC but more so for Arfa.

So the prem has now become a league where players are targeted and taken out of the game one way or another, shame and shame on the refs for allowing it.

• 3 Malaysia-RASHID // Oct 4, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Mate, how do you feel about HBA after the terrible injured. Can he perform like before?

• 4 ilovetoon // Oct 4, 2010 at 1:47 PM

wonder what would have happen if it had been messi and not ben arfa. The CIA, would get involved wouldn’t they?

• 5 Malaysia-RASHID // Oct 4, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Feel sorry for HBA, and impressed with the lads, he love us, can see in his eye, he absolutely a Geordie, Hope we can keep him what matter happen.

• 6 G // Oct 4, 2010 at 1:50 PM

@ post 3. Lets hope so. Double breaks can cause compications (believe me, I’ve had 2 double breaks myself). Its a long recovery, but hopefully he is young, and any long term affects can be adapted too, and won’t affect his game too much.

• 7 magpie6699 // Oct 4, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Sometimes long-bone fractures can be less bother in the long-term than joint or ligament damage for example. Let’s hope so.

• 8 antmanbee // Oct 4, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Music to our ears. Glad to hear he’ll be doing his rehab in toon. Hope the club and especially some of the lads get behind him…like the “excellent Newcastle fans” already have.
    This bit got me here, like:
    “He was enjoying everything at Newcastle.” “He felt under pressure at Marseilles, but he certainly felt comfortable here.” “He’ll do everything in accordance with Newcastle and he’ll be back.”
    Really feel for the lad, he really seems to appreciate the fans… hope he/we come through, and that he has a long career here.All the best to him in any event!

• 9 NUFC_Richyg01 // Oct 4, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Arfa is currently just on loan from OM with a view to a permanent transfer at the end of the season.

You dont think Ca$hley will cancel the loan do you?

• 10 Wendall // Oct 4, 2010 at 2:16 PM

Seeing that he was able to wave to the fans when he is carried off and was not in extreme pain, lets hope there is not much muscular and ligament damage. If that is the case, hopefully he will be back sooner than later.

Our thoughts are with you Hatem!!

• 11 G // Oct 4, 2010 at 2:16 PM

@ post 9. Don’t know what the terms are in the small print, but these days insurance companies pay the wage in the event of a serious injury from my understanding. Not sure MA will have the inclination or need to cancel the loan.

• 12 NUFC_Richyg01 // Oct 4, 2010 at 2:18 PM

@ G // Oct 4, 2010 at 2:16 PM

Never mind the insurance company, De Jong should pay!!

• 13 G // Oct 4, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Ha ha, agreed Richy!

• 14 Adssy Mccc // Oct 4, 2010 at 2:39 PM

Great lad from everything we’ve seen and heard since he’s been with us…

Gutted for him!

We won’t be able to replace a player of his quality in January either. Unless we were able to buy players like Nani or Adam Johnson (LOL) then we’ll get nowhere near the quality Hatem has (especially for the money we’ve got to spend!). Big onas on jonas now! :)

Hope everyone in Toon lets the lad know how much we want him to recover and then stay!!

• 15 Solaidback // Oct 4, 2010 at 2:48 PM

Best wishes to HBA, I hope your recovery is as fast as De Jongs exile from the Dutch squad :)

My only concern is, if he’s out for 6 months, will he have played enough games to fulfil his loan contractual needs, ie he’s got to have played 25 games for us to get the perm deal????

• 16 Steve79 // Oct 4, 2010 at 2:53 PM

New to the blog, have been following the articles for a while now. Just want to wish Ben Arfa a speedy recovery. We have seen some great players over the years in the black and white stripes, this lad has great potential, and what an influential player he would have been throughout the season. All the best mate and hope to see you back soon.

• 17 Steve79 // Oct 4, 2010 at 3:01 PM

On another note, how many times have we seen great players careers ended by reckless challenges. Even De Jongs national coach has excluded him from the squad as he reportedly comments the challenge was reckless and unnecessary. The FA need to look at the evidence and crackdown on this. Does anyone know how this will effect the buy out on Hatems contract? I know Vuckic is young but what I have seen could be a player to come in and play behind carrol, with Barton and Tiote alongside this guy could be the answer until the transfer window.

• 18 antmanbee // Oct 4, 2010 at 3:06 PM

CH just saying that the op went ok:

• 19 G // Oct 4, 2010 at 3:18 PM

@ post 15. I think we can still purchase him at the agreed price, regardless of how many games he has played, however, if he does play 25 (I think it’s almost mathematicaly impossible now given the likely timescale of the injury) it triggers an automatic purchase clause. At least, thats my understanding of the deal, although there seems to be some grey areas given what has been announced in the press.

• 20 okkurtgarvilt // Oct 4, 2010 at 3:21 PM

the thing that impressed me the most was that he wanted to wave to the fans, but the city doctor told him to lay down or something and he just kept on waving…he really does love us!

• 21 antmanbee // Oct 4, 2010 at 3:22 PM

I’ve noticed Marseille haven’t had owt to say in the last 24 hours…I would’ve imagined their prez going apeshite, but nowt…
    Also with the op a success and the rehab on Tyneside mebbes there’s already been a decision made as to HBA’s future here already…

• 22 jaynufc89 // Oct 4, 2010 at 3:24 PM

Lets use one example, think back to when Alan Shearer broke his leg, He came back a better and stronger player, Think abotu cisse.. he could still run as fast as he does.. so I think this will only make HBA better he’ll come back with a point to prove and I just hope he comes back and haunts man city!

• 23 jaynufc89 // Oct 4, 2010 at 3:30 PM

http://www.imscouting.com/injury-centre// < look at this.. Ben Arfa has a return date on here of march 28th 2011, meaning he'll play the final 9 games of the season.. but we all know footballers come back sooner .. look at ramsey ruled out for 2 years he came back after 9 months.. I think ben arfa will return at the start of march

• 24 Stardust // Oct 4, 2010 at 3:32 PM

Its my understanding that the 25 games triggered an automatic buy clause.

The injury wont preclude us from buying him at the end of the season but I imagine the club will want to evaluate his fitness and or renegotiate the price.

• 25 G // Oct 4, 2010 at 3:35 PM

Hmmmm…. plenty of scope for it all to go very, very wrong there Stardust. Lets hope it doesn’t come to that, assuming he comes back from the injury in decent nick?

• 26 antmanbee // Oct 4, 2010 at 3:38 PM

G
    See post 16…ie he should come back as down to rehab alone now…so far no complications, particularly in the op.

• 27 G // Oct 4, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Yeah, seen that antmanbee. I’m just worried that MA and DL may try and fleece LOM for a few quid from the fee, which may affect the deal happening at all?

• 28 antmanbee // Oct 4, 2010 at 3:59 PM

See your point G…wouldn’t put owt past them, but technically, we ( MCFC ) broke him rather than him being damaged goods we could knock a percentage off of.
    As I said earlier, it’s strange l’OM are so quiet about the whole thing. Perhaps their reaction will eventually shed some light on where we stand as regards buying him…

• 29 G // Oct 4, 2010 at 4:15 PM

@ post 26. Does the use of the word ‘we’ followed by the MCFC in brackets indicate your loyalties lie with MCFC there antmanbee? If so, just wondering why you are on this blog (I don’t have a problem with it like, just curious)?

• 30 antmanbee // Oct 4, 2010 at 4:41 PM

No, G far from it !! ;0)
    A lifelong mag thru’ and thru’…
    i meant that we are custodian’s, and therefore have a responsibility, even though it was Man City, technically, that knacked him, not us. We can’t then go back and ask for discount…

• 31 balubas1 // Oct 4, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Some of you guys has already highlighted my worries… HBA is a player on loan… here to prove himself so we can buy him. I guess he has already proved himself, but will he be the same after recovery? thats the main thing..

This is the 3rd post i say this in… but hey.. its how I feel.. IM GUTTED by this! I was SO looking forward too seeing HBA turning in to a classic Newcastle Hero. For De Jong’s sake, I hope I never meet him in person.

• 32 Sav // Oct 4, 2010 at 8:26 PM

De Jong is a chicken scumbag and that was a coward’s tackle. He is more concerned with protecting himself and that is why others end up getting hurt. Look at that photo of him drop-kicking Alonso in the World Cup if you doubt it.

Irony of it is that it seems the fact that Atkinson didn’t even give a free for it means the FA disciplinary committee can now rule on it. They may yet deem it reckless and impose a ban – and after Van Marwyk’s clear response, they haven’t much choice but review it. I hope they also call in Atkinson to explain his views on it, as he was close enough to have heard the crack. I for one would like to hear what he has to say.
    I know City can just go out and buy whoever they want if they lose a player, but if connecting with the ball with one foot is a licence to break a standing leg with your other, it’s a bad day for football.

• 33 Solaidback // Oct 4, 2010 at 9:52 PM

I think its about time the FA created a independent committee to over view the refs decision in cases like this, someone who will take action against reffing decision when they fail to to run a game properly & side with the bigger teams against the smaller one, as it shows that some refs are bias towards the bigger team, especially at their home grounds!!!

De Jong should have been sent off for that tackle but instead the ref let the blues play on as if nothing had happened, it was the same with Tvez & Sholas penalties, he again sided both time with the blues when it was clearly incorrect.

This Atkinson needs to be taught a lesson in how to be a unbiased ref, I wouldn’t put it past him have a bet riding on the Mancs to win!!!

• 34 baro // Oct 4, 2010 at 9:53 PM

This player is just brilliant! We love him and he loves Newcastle fans more than anything. He is awesome player and we need to get him signed up permanently 4 ever. He had a absolutely audacious start to the premier league, looked like Ronaldo. Anyways get well soon BENNY

previous post: Disgraced DeJong Dropped By Holland Following Ben Arfa Injury