Yesterday Could Be Fateful Day For Newcastle

Yesterday’s game could be a significant one in the season for Newcastle United.

Jonas Gutierrez – after scoring great goal yesterday

That’s bcause not only did they lose the game, their second league defeat in a row,  but they have lost one of their star players, Hatem Ben Arfa, probably for the rest of the season.

The Newcastle players were subdued following the incident of the broken leg, which was caused after 4 minutes by Dutchman DeJong, with another of his reckless tackles.

And then Newcastle went behind on 18 minutes from a disputed penalty, that Carlos Tevez put away, but then the lads started to came back into the game,  with a great goal from the industrious Jonas Gutierrez on 24 minutes, his first of the season.

Hughton talked about DeJong’s reckless tackle this morning:

“I thought it was a challenge that didn’t need to be made,”  “When you have a young, talented player who gets that type of injury, and it’s there for his team-mates to see, it’s very upsetting.”

“The over-riding feeling for me is I have a team I’m very proud of, that went about their business the right way, but that unjustly came out with a result that shouldn’t have been the case.”

Hughton surprised everybody by dropping Andy Carroll to the substitutes’ bench, after all Carroll’s publicity at presumably being named for the first time today in the England squad to play Montenegro a week tomorrow.

Chris talked about Andy:

“Andy had a touch of a virus last week and if I looked at his last performances, he’d perhaps just lost that little edge,”

“We’ve got Shola, who had a fabulous game at Chelsea in the League Cup and trained really well. I thought Shola deserved the edge, that’s not a negative on Andy.”

“Andy’s a massive part of this club and will continue to be so – but we have to have competition in all areas.”

Sol Campbell also finally made his Premier League debut for Newcastle after Fabricio Coloccini suffered a first-half groin strain, and Newcastle were in the peculiar position of having already used two of their subs by half tim e, after Wayne Rutledge had replaced Ben Arfa early in the game.

But after the fight and spirit the lads showed yesterday under tremendous adversity,  it’s hard to be critical of them. In fact they did us proud, even in defeat.

• Ericles

Oct 4, 2010 at 11:37 AM

There can be no shame over our undeserved defeat at Man City. The only way for the team and the fans to get over what happened is to carry on in a determined, professional and winning fashion. As a club we have been used to adversity. We have also been used to being one of the best FA cup winning teams, we have also been used to playing in the Champions League etc. I think the team and CH took the disgraceful tackle of De Jong and the blind mans buff played by the ref very well. They took it on the chin and could have won the game we were cheated out of. Well done lads, well done the staff. No honest Man City fan can find that tackle acceptable. Can the FA or the Premier League? Lets wait and see.

• Malaysia-RASHID

Oct 4, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Aaron Ramsey situation=Ben Arfa. Maybe we next Arsenal, they also don’t have backup from ref and EPL. What ever, we will fight and be more stronger, their hater will make us strong.

• CT

Oct 4, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Its a cliche I know, but I really do believe this team is far too good to go down. L of averages, our luck will change. Can see 3pnts from Wig/ 1 pnt at least W`ham/3pnts Scum/0 Arse/3 B`burn/ 3 Fulham. Sorted!!!

• CT

Oct 4, 2010 at 12:05 PM

That`s 20 points by mid Nov!! Half way there!! We`ll take that won`t we??

• dave 1961

Oct 4, 2010 at 12:13 PM

i have now made my complain to the FA and anticipated the usual response, also made my complaint to the footballing ombudsman

dear sirs.
    reference Manchester city vs. Newcastle united ko 1:30 03/10/2010.

referee Martin Atkinson

I would like to make a complaint about the incident that caused the double leg fracture of Newcastle’s Hatem ben arfa, after decompiling & reviewing the incident it became obvious that this was a deliberate assault that was meant to cause injury, Nigel de Jong’s tackle lasted 1.52 seconds and made up of two parts, the first part of his tackle was with his left leg in front of ben arfa’s left shin holding his foot on the ground, & the second was with de Jong’s right leg this impacting just below the back of the knee of ben arfa’s left leg this having a velocity of 0.6578 nms . this is a technique used by the us navy seals special forces to break the leg and render the enemy immobile. this is the second time (at least) that he has broken a players leg Nigel De Jong Broke Stuart Holden’s Leg in April with a similar tackle, also his horror tackle against Xabi Alonso in the world cup. this man is a thug. & an animal.

secondly I would like to see referee Martin Atkinson investigated & band for his comical handling of this incident, he seems to have totally missed it, yet he seen a penalty incident from tens of meters away, when it was shown on TV that Williamson had in fact got the ball, and the incident was a meter outside the area, then when Shola Ameobi was fouled in the Manchester city box the only person that did not think it was a penalty was again Martin Atkinson, is the FA happy that a referee of this poor standard should be able to decide the outcome of the premier league, martin Atkinson’s looks as honest as a Pakistani cricketer.

I look forward to your reply and what action you intend to take, as this will save me time contacting fifa’s platini with my findings, and also save me from contacting the officials of your world cup bid, showing them how incompetent the English FA are.

Martin Atkinson is at the very least totally incompetent, or could it be more.

• shearermania

Oct 4, 2010 at 12:13 PM

CT dont count your chickens……we played and fought well – but lets not forget that this team in a bit of a yoyo – brilliant – then poor….

lets just get behind them and not look to much at the table before we played the games.

lets get the 20 points first – then we’ll set new goals

• shearermania

Oct 4, 2010 at 12:15 PM

dave 1961

got to admire your drive

• dave 1961

Oct 4, 2010 at 12:20 PM

I should have also added that I am still angry it’s doing my hypertension no good at all

• CT

Oct 4, 2010 at 12:20 PM

D 1961,I think you could have been a tad more forceful. Smania, really believe in this squad, luck will change n we`ll be ok!

• Mags

Oct 4, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Well done dave 1961. That means they have at least two missives to deal with…. here is copy of mine: ………..After witnessing yesterday’s match Man City v Newcastle United FC, I feel compelled to write seriously questioning the efficacy of referee Mr Martin Atkinson who should be utterly ashamed of his woefully inadequate performance.

I would ask that you intervene along with the Referee’s Organisation (who I have also contacted) and take action against him for his utter ineptitude.

When will the English game address the so called ‘hard tacklers’ in our game? How many legs have to be broken? Mr Wenger is vilified, but he is fully correct in is summarisation of these sort of players, no matter how much their clubs subsequently inform us of how nice they are, and they did not mean it, and they come from good families. Rubbish, this is gross negligence on the referee’s part.

De Jong’s tackle on Hatem Ben Arfa was crude and cowardly, yet the referee thought it acceptable and did not even stop play or subsequently offer even a yellow card and this despite a player was lying on the floor with a double break to his leg. It is shameful and a condemnation on our game. No wonder players are increasingly reluctant to come to our premiership to play.

I sincerely hope that retrospective action be taken against this player. Not only has he a history, I strongly suggest you obtain a video of the ‘whole’ game and you will spot two other nasty incidents pertaining to this player. Again these went unspotted or unpunished by this apology of a referee.

De Jong, no doubt, will be playing for his international team next weekend, and then will be returning to City for the weekend after, whilst Ben Arfa faces a 6 month spell unable to play. Where is the justice?

Please note I have not even mentioned Atkinson’s crass and wrong decisions regarding the two penalties. I sincerely hope De Jong is given a retrospective and lengthy ban and Atkinson is demoted until he can show he is capable of doing the job he is paid handsomely for.

How can you expect the average fan to show any respect, when decisions of this nature are made?

The sooner you and the referees’ organisation get together to rid this from the game, the better. None of this will help Newcastle or Ben Arfa immediately but long term perhaps we will not have to witness such scenes in our game.

I await your response.

Since sending this I hear that the Holland manager has dropped De Jong and roundly condemmed this tackle.

• Mags

Oct 4, 2010 at 12:32 PM

DAVE1961 – (8) Yes I am still incandescent with rage.

• Tee Oh Tay

Oct 4, 2010 at 12:42 PM

anyone else see Bert van Marwijk criticise De Jong?

he said; “It was a wild and unnecessary offence. He went in much too hard. It is unfortunate, especially since he does not need to do it. The funny thing is that the referee did not even show a yellow card for it. Apparently, there are other standards.

hopefully he kicks him out of the national team! THUG!
    “But I have a problem with the way Nigel needlessly looks to push the limit. I am going to speak to him.”

• GeordieDan

Oct 4, 2010 at 12:42 PM

Good lad Dave-I really wish that they would pay even the slightest bit of attention to your letter as it is nothing but fact and common sense. De Jong is a Thug and Atkinson is a complete moron.

Unfortunately it won’t change the awful events that unfolded yesterday and I for one am absolutely devastated by Arfa’s injury and that scandalous result.

Our well documented team spirit must be taking a complete hammering at the minute from all this unlucky BS again and again and again.

Always look on the bright side though eh?

HWTLs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• hadthetshirt

Oct 4, 2010 at 12:47 PM

@DAVE1961 and Mags excellent stuff,let us know if you get a reply.I won’t hold my breath though.
    As for the team a gutsy performance.I am just wary of our manager.No.23 whinges on and bang he’s in the team.This isn’t the first time Hughton’s arse has gone either.He seems to bottle it with the senior players.I can’t understand the thinking in dropping Carrol,who actually scares the opposition defenders.23 and his gum shield just give the opposition an easy day.Get a backbone Hughton and for god’s sake lets not be afraid when at home.Teams must think hey look at newcastle scared of us,lets go at them as they only have 1 man up front.No disrespect to Stoke or Blackpool but we really should be beating them at home.I know Blackpool beat Liverpool,but come on we should be beating these teams at home.Next up Wigan are we going for the draw or will you maybe go for the win Hughton.

• GeordieDan

Oct 4, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Nigel De Jong has been dropped by the Dutch national team for his horror tackle on Arfa. -HOW THE F**K did Atkinson not do anything about it????

It beggars belief and thats before even mentioning the exasperating penalty decisions. The man is a complete f***ing joke and to think of the kind of money he must be on doing that as well.

Makes you sick. I hope he gets a very large smack around the gob for what he let happen yesterday. Nothing would make me happier.

• G

Oct 4, 2010 at 1:33 PM

GeordieDan @ 15. Well it’s nice to know the Dutch (possibly the most tollerant people on the planet?) have an FA that isn’t affraid to take action in unfair circumstances. Perhaps we should send the English FA over for a fact finding mission?