Newcastle Interested In Elmander – But Larsson Is Better Bet

I just got news tonight form my next door neighbor Mats, who is Swedish, that Newcastle United are considering a move for Bolton striker Johan Elmander,  when the transfer window reopens in January.

Johan Elmander – contract runs out next summer

Elmander joined Bolton for what, at the time, seemed a really high transfer fee of £8.2M in 2008, signing a three-year contract.

And while the Swedish International is a decent footballer, he’s hardly a natural goalscorer, although he does have 4 goals in 7 games this season – the best he’s ever done in his career,

Johan is yet to begin talks with Bolton over the possibility of extending his contract and that means Elmander could talk to other clubs in January.

We have a hard time believing that Elmander would improve the Newcastle squad much, and although the club are always after a good deal, his Swedish team–mate Seb Larsson, who is currently at Birmingham and whose contract also runs out next summer, would probably be a better bet.

What do you think?

Comments always welcome.

• baro

Oct 5, 2010 at 11:00 PM

1st

• baro

Oct 5, 2010 at 11:01 PM

ED, GREAT SOURCE!!

• baro

Oct 5, 2010 at 11:02 PM

He is a very great player and since his contract runs out I’m more than certain he will go cheap. I’d go for him, he isn’t a bad player. Has tons of premier league experience

• clooneytoon

Oct 5, 2010 at 11:10 PM

doubt it, hes a target man and too simliar to carrol and ameobi, if we buy a striker it will be someone who can play off a target man,someone with pace.

• bassongs_of_praise

Oct 5, 2010 at 11:18 PM

He cant hit a barn door – no thanks

• Robin_S

Oct 5, 2010 at 11:22 PM

ED this was being banded about yesterday please try and keep up!!

It’s a non starter.

• Chris F

Oct 5, 2010 at 11:22 PM

hmm yeah, just what we need, another lumbering centre forward with a low goal-to-game ratio.

not sure a next door neighbour qualifies as a great source tbh, Ed lol

• baro

Oct 5, 2010 at 11:27 PM

• Howay The Lads

Oct 5, 2010 at 11:29 PM

Elmander > 25

Not gonna happen.

He’s a good player, but we have very similar and as people have said we only have Loverman in the small man role

• pizzicatochan

Oct 6, 2010 at 12:17 AM

We need to play Moyo very soon.

• Brutooon

Oct 6, 2010 at 12:49 AM

Carroll and Ranger are better and YOUNGER than him

• branunited

Oct 6, 2010 at 1:25 AM

by more than Elmander term contract, we should not bring it, because it already has 30 years, also has no long-term future as a player, we should give chance to the youth of the academy or buy, TAER young or experienced players no more than 26 years, I leave a list of 11 players qu for me are very interesting: 1: Sebastian Giovinco, 2: Robert Acquafresca, 3: Tomas Necid 4: Rasmus ELM, 5: MICHAEL CHOPRA, 6: MILAN Badelj, 7 : CHRISTIAN ERIKSEN, 8: Nicola Pozzi, 9: Andrea Russotto 10: Jozi Altidore. hatem hope he recovers soon, and play for a long time in newcastle gan level.

• Thump

Oct 6, 2010 at 2:11 AM

Doubt chopra would come back (or rather I hope..) and altidore? Really?

• austoon

Oct 6, 2010 at 3:58 AM

I thought we were going back for van wolfswinkle.
    8 mil for elmander? ben arfa would cost us 5.5 mil. but i guess if our main goal is to survive this season then you would think of bringing in players with epl experience, rather than youngsters.

• stunna

Oct 6, 2010 at 4:08 AM

My Swedish grandmother was unable to confirm.

I’d rather get Larsson. We could use an outside mid that can cross the ball.

• branunited

Oct 6, 2010 at 5:38 AM

in my last opinion, just wanted to show some of the players who would like to reach me (I did not mean that they will arrive), I like that in the winter market will buy 3 players, maybe two experienced and young or two young and experienced, I would love Jozy Altidore, Robert Acquafresca And GIOVINCO, but if not given this, that give chanse to youth from the academy, they are good, you think?.
    I’m Mexican, I follow the magpies no more than 5 years, I have 16 and third-division game in Mexico, sorry for my comments that may become ill and upset.

• austoon

Oct 6, 2010 at 7:30 AM

From football365: “Tottenham are monitoring FC Utrecht striker Ricky van Wolfswinkel.”

Man they already took Modric from us and now him. RVW is actually pretty good btw.

• newcastle turk

Oct 6, 2010 at 7:36 AM

What makes you think he is going to buy another striker to play alongside carrol? he only plays 2 strikers when we are getting beat. So if he thinks 2 strikers will get you a goal back, why does he not play 2 to put us in the lead! CRAZY

• john_cena163

Oct 6, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Good News
    Ben Arfa Says—“It’s cheered me up no end and makes me feel really humble and honoured that the fans are showing such support for me.

“All I can say is a huge thank you to each and every one of them, and I will relish the day that I’m able to pull on a black and white shirt again.”
    , Surely He Gona B A Ours Pernment

• Toon XI

Oct 6, 2010 at 11:03 AM

We need pace not a turtle like Elmander.

• StuW

Oct 6, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Don’t need neither if you ask me. We need a pure scorer with some pace, not a player that has a goal average similar to Heskey.

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Oct 6, 2010 at 4:47 PM

I don,t Elmander would fit in with the team!

A bit over the hill i think! There are much better players out there! van Wolfswinkel ( Utrecht ) or Peter Wisgerhof ( FC Twente ), to name but two.

Not sure about Laarsen, either, Sweden play Holland on Tuesday, so will get to see them both, if they are in the team?

• Newutd