Sami Nasri Slams English Referees For Not Protecting Players

Samir Nasri has spoken out in support of his compatriot Ben Arfa today.

Sami Nasri – slams English referee Martin Atkinson

And has slammed referee Martin Atkinson for not even booking De Jong for the challenge – indeed it wasn’t even thought to be foul by the English referee.

Nasri told the French Daily L’Equipe today:

“I am very disappointed for Hatem because he is someone who I appreciate a lot.” “I have been stunned by the refereeing. When you see Hatem is leaving on a stretcher with oxygen assistance and the referee didn’t send off the player…that is something that has to be changed in England.”

“There has always been physical impact and there will always be. But are the players protected enough? I don’t think so.” “Moreover De Jong is just like (Mark) Van Bommel, he has previous history.” “The referees should know those players are used to committing fouls. The referee didn’t even give a free-kick.”

We are concerned there has so far been no official statement from either the referees or the Premier League or the Englsish FA about Sunday’s incident  There is a vacuum of concern, and you would think something would be said officially about the incident, but there’s no doubt English football is being seen as violent.

What else are people to think, when the tackle that broke the Frenchman’s leg is two places wasn’t even seen as a s foul in England.

But that didn’t stop the Dutch FA from immediately dropping and sending home the player yesterday from their  European qualifying squad.  DeJong was said to be extremely  upset about that – well isn’t that a pity.

There’s no doubt this bad publicity will hardly help this Dutch player in the future, as he’s been seen as a thug – playing his football in England.

• munch27

Oct 5, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Support for HBA keeps rolling in i think if the F.A fail too take action we should lobby other club sites and protest outside Asshole gate oops i mean ashton gate embarass the FA into doing something about these tackles it may not effect the THUG dejong but will protect players in the future.

• NUFC_Richyg01

Oct 5, 2010 at 2:09 PM

maybe its because nobody knows who the ‘Englsish FA’ are!!!

• rwpoynter

Oct 5, 2010 at 2:12 PM

It was only a matter of time before a player of Ben Arfa’s ability was going to get nobbled. It is a tragedy for this club and for the player himself that this is the way things work in the English game. We should accept that this is a game for men , not boys, but dreadful tackles like this are not on. Lots of players in Europe say they want to play in the Premier League but they won’t if they are going to be six games into the season before they get their legs broken. De Jong committed a dreadful foul in the World Cup Final and should have been sent off and Karl Henry’s treatment of Joey Barton in the Wolves game was little better. I cannot stand the endless shirt tugging that goes on unpunished in our game, and yet players get booked for “over celebration” having scored a goal. Come on, the FA and Sepp Blatter, get your act together and get your screwed up sense of priorities sorted out. So a guy takes his shirt off when he scores a goal, so what? Better that than his career is ended from a vicious tackle.

• geordielad880

Oct 5, 2010 at 2:16 PM

I’m sorry but I just dont go along with all this, the challenge on ben arfa was fair, he won the ball first, however it was a challenge that didnt need to made like it did, it was just unfortunate what happened, I do agree de jong is a dirty player, but dont agree about the tackle, i have seen worse tackles from smith, perch and nolan this season, it was just unlucky what happened, it was a pure accident, there wasnt any intent.

• Ericles

Oct 5, 2010 at 2:16 PM

Why on earth is there no response from the Premiership, the FA, or the Referees Association on what happened to Ben Arfa. Such play as we witnessed is being ignored, or only lightly punished, on a regular basis. Foul? More like a reckless and vicious assault knowing he would get away with it. And has and is getting away with it.

• Bucks mag

Oct 5, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Can’t wait to see the reception De Jong gets at SJP. I know it’s bad to fuel hatred but the atmosphere it makes is incredible.

• geordielad880

Oct 5, 2010 at 2:19 PM

ericles and bucks mag, he won the ball, so how was the tackle reckless and vicious??

• munch27

Oct 5, 2010 at 2:28 PM

geordielad880 mike williamson won the ball outside the box got a yellow card and a penalty against him HOW? was it a bad tackle? bad enough to warrant a yellow.

• brighter

Oct 5, 2010 at 2:30 PM

I think DE JONG should exile to a far off island or send off as Amercan footballer.He can to do is only harsh tackle.

• geordielad880

Oct 5, 2010 at 2:33 PM

munch27 totally agree about the williamson tackle and penalty, it shouldnt have been a foul, and if it was given it should have been outside the box. I dont think you can give a yellow card for a tackle which clearly from every angle shows he won the ball first, the only thing you can question is did the tackle need to be made like it was??

• atom

Oct 5, 2010 at 2:36 PM

Good point munch

• windsrave

Oct 5, 2010 at 2:52 PM

please support this petition!
    against career- threatening tackles!!

• CT

Oct 5, 2010 at 3:12 PM

Geordie88. Your`e wrong. He got the ball with his lead leg but did the damage with his trailing leg ala scissors! It`s called wreckless intent and is a straight red!!

• cupiddstunt

Oct 5, 2010 at 3:58 PM

Ct your right there and there it is the intent, there will always be contact in football but the ref has to decide on the intent. I missed the game hence did not see the tackle but pics of it look like it was made from behind which fifa had decided long ago was a bookable offence.

It is nigh on impossible to tackle from behind without fouling the player with the ball, and when you go to ground it is impossible to pull out of a tackle and the result is more often than not an injury for the tackled player and as such should have been a guaranteed card. The only think that should be up for discussion in this instance is the colour of the card.

• geordielad880

Oct 5, 2010 at 4:16 PM

CT i dont agree, the tackle was within the rules of the game, i dont like the tackle personally but the tackle was fair, it was his sliding tackle that caught ben arfas trailing leg, he won the ball first, therefore not a foul, it wasnt from behind either

• CT

Oct 5, 2010 at 4:32 PM

GL880 Both legs were off the ground simultaneously “INTENT” Dutch coach agrees? Whether the thug has previous or not is not the issue! He was after damaging Benny, it looked bad in real time, horrific in slomo! Sorry, unforgiveable!! I would feel the same if one of our guys had done it. Nolan/Smith have gone over the top b4 and Barton on Alonso was similar 2 seasons ago but Alonso was lucky but Barton walked, rightly so too! No place for it, can easily end someones career! In the street its GBH!

• geordielad880

Oct 5, 2010 at 4:42 PM

I’m not really bothered what the dutch coach thinks really, i feel sorry for ben arfa, but im still not convinced it was a bad tackle, its just a tackle that ended badly, if it was a bad tackle, de jong would get reprimanded after the incident when it was looked at, and it doesnt seem like he is going to face any punishment.

• CT

Oct 5, 2010 at 5:11 PM

GL880 The fact the ref took no action doesn`t meen no intent to injure! He got everything wrong, Willos tackle/penalty, Benny`s injury/Shola`s pen claim/ Tevez pen celebration according to the rules. I used to work for Keith Hacket years ago and know enuff about the refs union, if the ref does not retrospectively change his mind, the FA are powerless to act! This guy is not gonna change his mind is he , `cos it`s admitting he cocked up/ and is incompetent. His next performance will be scrutinised by the assessor and I bet this is when he will be downmarked, as a gesture, but don`t change the fact Benny`s badly injured, the thug gets away with it, and ref picks up his £50k + exes! IT was intent!!! Don`t condone but his card is marked,ironic MAN CITY home BOXING DAY!!! Bet he dosn`t play, bloody coward. Bet Nolan/Tiote and Joey n Jose got it noted!!!

• joppadoni

Oct 5, 2010 at 5:20 PM

Geordielad, it was a two footed diving tackle, yes it was at the ball but just behind that ball are Ben Arfas legs.. the intent to win the ball and have no way of not smacking in to the player studs first is outlawed in the game and the ref is a prick. it wasnt within the laws of the game at all. i can see why some would say it was though.

• joppadoni

Oct 5, 2010 at 5:21 PM

CT, i hope Nolan does it if anyone is to, the rest id rather not see sit out for a couple of matches hehe. just kiddin nobby 😉

• Howay The Lads

Oct 5, 2010 at 5:24 PM

geordielad, it doesn’t matter whether he gets the ball or not.

That is not mentioned AT ALL in the rules.

The rules state if the tackle is reckless, careless or using excessive force. I believe any tackle that can snap someone’s leg through a shinpad has to be using excessive force and probably reckless.

Especially when everything is taken into context (4 minutes in our best player has a hard tackle made on him in a n area where it wasn’t needed – surely a ‘message’ to Ben Arfa. De Jong’s ‘previous’. And the fact he hasn’t said sorry) he has to get a three match ban, and as I’m typing Newcastle have just sent a strong-worded letter to the F.A. in an attempt to ban De Jong

• Toonboy_84

Oct 5, 2010 at 5:35 PM

If we go down this season by the odd point or 2, this will be even more devastating. He earned us 3 points at goodison on his own. How many more would he get for us over the course of the season?

Get well soon Benny boy!!!!!!

• ronaldeano

Oct 5, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Geordielad,
    there was nothing clean about that tackle mate, he was like a bull that had a red rag waved at him. He smashed his leg ffs! Weather he got sum of the ball or not, you can’t do stupid things like that, he could have ended the poor lads career…

• sparetheman

Oct 5, 2010 at 6:38 PM

I’m with GeordieLad880 on this one. I know people are angry and upset we’ve lost an exicting new talent and potential match-winner because of the injury but I think if people are honest when they first saw the tackle they didn’t think it was that bad.

I find myself wanting to blame De Jong like everyone else due to his history and just because I’m not a huge fan but had Ben Arfa come out of the tackle injury-free it wouldn’t have even been a footnote in the post-match analysis to be honest.

• dave 1961

Oct 5, 2010 at 6:41 PM

Mike Ashley is fuming over the incident and has made a complaint to the fa check out the site, or nufc.com

• dave 1961

Oct 5, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Newcastle United FC have today written a strongly-worded letter to the Football Association in relation to the tackle by Manchester City’s Nigel de Jong on Hatem Ben Arfa in Sunday’s Premier League fixture, which resulted in Ben Arfa sustaining a broken tibia and fibula of his left leg.

The club has asked the FA for the appropriate action to be taken against De Jong for the tackle which in the club’s opinion was unnecessary and used excessive force.

Newcastle United will also be writing to the appropriate body regarding the performance of the match officials, specifically the referee, in relation to a number of incidents during the game including the tackle on Ben Arfa.

• Howay The Lads

Oct 5, 2010 at 6:52 PM

sparetheman, I wasn’t there, but anyone watching it on ESPN with volume would have heard the sound.

It was like a gunshot and I was appalled by it straight away. Tiote was clearly fuming and just kicked Milner to either stop play or get back at City.

And the more you see it, the worse it gets

• sparetheman

Oct 5, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Well I don’t want to get into an argument about a subject a lot of people are emotional about.

The only thing I would suggest is if it was Barton on Adam Johnson, for example, I’m pretty sure most people would’ve defended Barton for the same tackle.

• sparetheman

Oct 5, 2010 at 7:08 PM

I mean most people on this site… obviously the mass media would have a field day having a crack at Barton.

• CT

Oct 5, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Spareman/Geordielad U both entitled to your opinion eventho your both wrong, specsavers fof u both! Mixed feelings about the club writing to FA and Refs association, good we make a stance and not being pushed around,but fear the refs sticking together when we play in future. Bit like KK`s rant at Fergie, when he did it live I thought GET IN THERE SON, but on reflecton I thought thats it we`re knacked, Fergie`s psyched Kev out. Rests bloody history!

• Masai

Oct 5, 2010 at 7:15 PM

long time reader, first time post, just wanted to say look at it like this, by the end of the season we will definately have less points on the board than we would have done with Ben Arfa’s availability for the season. On top of this we are already starting to look like we have a tough season ahead, so with the money and resources man city have, it would be a nice gesture come January for them to provide us with Ben Arfas temporary replacement til the end of the season

• stuart no9

Oct 5, 2010 at 7:16 PM

i really cant understand all these people who are disputing the foul on hba, lets put it this way
    BOTH FEET OFF THE GROUND,TACKLE FROM BEHIND ,BROKEN LEG AS INTENDED, WHERE S THE F..KING ARGUMENT . i hope this has cleared up a few things up,

• Thump

Oct 5, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Geordielad: Watch this.

Stuart Holden leg break: I don’t think he intended to break the lads leg, he went in with too much pace and cleaned the lad out. However look at the manager’s reaction, it isn’t one of surprise or shock as much as it is “It was going to happen eventually”. What makes this tackle worse is that there was absolutely no need for it – it was an exhibition match, a “friendly” game.

Bruce Lee vs. Alonso: Absolute disgrace and I said it when I watched it. High foot, totally unnecessary and frankly disgusting to see at the very, very top level of football. If you can justify his leg being that high and his jump, I’d love to hear it.

Navy Seal assault on HBA (higher quality: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_233MxrENY): The more I watch this, the more sick I feel. Yes, he played the ball first and upon seeing it, I thought “Ah he’ll be fine” and right as I got to “he” I heard the crack. I would love for you to watch his (De Jong’s) trailing leg. Of course momentum will force the joint open as you see but never that far. His leg speeds up until it’s at full extension and only when Ben Arfa starts to fall do you see his leg pull back.

I’m sorry, but if you think that was a fair challenge in ANY way then I’ll have an ounce of what you’re on. One of the lads on here downloaded and split the video and discovered that his leg actually SPED UP after winning possession. It’s an absolute disgrace to the team, the league and I’m glad to see players speaking out against De Jong. You can almost see Karma sitting on his shoulder.

As for the “if he didn’t come out injured it would barely have been a footnote” comment, well of course, spare! If Hatem hadn’t have came out injured, then De Jong wouldn’t have brought his trailing leg into his shin whilst pulling his lead leg back.

• Thump

Oct 5, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Seeing as my last comment is awaiting moderation…

Navy Seal assault on HBA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_233MxrENY): The more I watch this, the more sick I feel. Yes, he played the ball first and upon seeing it, I thought “Ah he’ll be fine” and right as I got to “he” I heard the crack. I would love for you to watch his (De Jong’s) trailing leg. Of course momentum will force the joint open as you see but never that far. His leg speeds up until it’s at full extension and only when Ben Arfa starts to fall do you see his leg pull back.

I’m sorry, but if you think that was a fair challenge in ANY way then I’ll have a bit of what you’re on. One of the lads on here downloaded and split the video and discovered that his leg actually SPED UP after winning possession. It’s an absolute disgrace to the team, the league and I’m glad to see players speaking out against De Jong. You can almost see Karma sitting on his shoulder.

• Toonboy_84

Oct 5, 2010 at 7:26 PM

@31

AGREED!

• dave 1961

Oct 5, 2010 at 7:45 PM

I have kicked a hornet’s nest, I have made complaints to many different body’s, next one will be fifa, & I have warned the FA that I intend to send a dossier to the selection committee for the 2012 world cup, showing how unfit the English FA is to host the competition, they only have two options act on this or suffer the potential consequences, it’s up to the FA now they can’t crawl away or ignore it, this was a deliberate act I have even sent them the evidence, velocity that various parts of his body were travailing at, and before anyone says it yes I would be just as angry if Barton had done it to a player I would demand he was sacked. if I wanted to watch people getting hurt I would be a fan of kick boxing, and such like. if any of the so called experts want to disprove what I claim, come on then convince me, I made my mind up by watching it frame by frame, and if anyone wants to check it out, but maybe does not have the gear I have, one of the older versions of vlc media player has a tool for watching a video frame by frame, even windows 7 has a basic video editing tool.

• balubas1

Oct 5, 2010 at 7:46 PM

To the De Jong defenders here:

After watching the tackle over and over, I see how you may defend him. His trailing foot is bended and De Jong hits HBA with his knee/leg.

But BEFORE this, De Jong knows that HBA is in a bad spot and he goes in hard with both feet, with the intention to hurt HBA. IF HE DID NOT INTEND to hurt HBA the tackle would have looked ALOT different. De Jong has numerous other tackling options to get the ball clean and tidy, but he selects the only one that will HURT HBA and get him off the hook with the ref as he gets the ball first.

• Toonboy_84

Oct 5, 2010 at 7:49 PM

I think it’s definately a minority that think this tackle was acceptable

• moonraker

Oct 5, 2010 at 7:49 PM

De Jong’s tackle cant be defended and as far as I’m concerned, if the Dutch FA and Johan Cruyf say it’s a bad tackle then that’s good enough for me.

The FA should now review the tackle and take appropriate action!!!

• balubas1

Oct 5, 2010 at 7:51 PM

When Hatem Ben Arfa returns, we must make him feel the roar of the Toon Army. Cheer like we’ve scored a league winner.