Guthrie Faces Tough Job To Get Playing Time At Newcastle

Danny Guthrie is getting fit again and played the full game last Tuesday,  when Newcastle Reserves drew with Aston Villa 0-0 at Benton.

Danny Guthrie – almost fit again

But since he’s come back Danny will see his chances of securing a central midfield position even more difficult now, with Ivory Coast International making a great start to his career with three excellent performances for Newcastle United in the last three league games.

Certainly Cheick looks  a great buy for the club at around £3.5M, good business indeed by the Tyneside club.

Since Newcastle are a bit short of wingers now with Ben Arfa injured,  Guthrie may find himself on the wing again this season, although he seems half the payer there,  than he is in the center of the park.

And Joey Barton is also showing the best form of his Newcastle career right now, and there is still Alan Smith waiting for his chance too.

Danny said today:

“I’m probably going to have to be patient for a little while longer. I don’t know what the manager is thinking, but realistically, the team has been doing well so I’ll probably be on the bench.”

“The main thing for me is just being over this injury now and being able to push for a place in the first team again.” “We’ve had a pretty good start and I think the lads have been desperately unlucky in a couple of games.”

“We dominated Stoke and Blackpool at home, it was just silly lapses in concentration that cost us.”  “I thought we were brilliant against Manchester City as well and we were really unlucky with the decisions that went against us.”

Guthrie could find it hard to get playing time while our central midfield players are fit, although in the second half of last season he played his best football at the club, and of course the Shrewsbury-born lad is still only 23.

Danny thinks his best position is in the center of the park, but we’re sure he will play anywhere for Chris  Hughton,  to get some playing time at Newcastle

Danny continued:

“I see myself as a central midfielder, I’ve got my own strengths I can bring to the team, it’s just up to the manager now.” “I’m really looking forward to proving myself in the Premier League again.”

“Nobody wants to play in the Championship, but it was character building for me.” “We formed a really strong team bond and it was a brilliant season for us. We’ve carried that confidence and team spirit into the Premier League with us.”

It shows the strength of the current Newcastle squad that Danny will be so hard pressed to get a start at Newcastle, although he may get a big chance in the Carling Cup 4th round when Arsenal come to town.

But Newcastle need a strong squad this season, to combat injuries and lack of form, which are part and parcel of the game – so it’s good to have Danny fit again, and apparently raring to go.

• Brutooon

Oct 9, 2010 at 2:53 PM

he is our best midfield last season, would prefer him over championship player ROUTLEDGE!

Alan Smith won’t get any more chance

• Bucks mag

Oct 9, 2010 at 4:03 PM

Was Guthrie really that good last season? Can’t remember him really standing out.

Did score some cracking goals mind.

• CT

Oct 9, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Bucks, Guthrie moved inside for the first time in the Fri nite Cardiff game, after that arguably best player for rest of the season, certainly the most creative! Like to see hm alongside Barton in a 3 with Jonas, Tiote holding n Lovan off Carrol. Simps(Saylor)/ Willo/ Colo(Sol)/ Jose at the back. Def create chances at home. Swap Loven with Nolan if we have to play 4.5.1 away.

• baro

Oct 9, 2010 at 5:28 PM

I hope everybody remembers how excellent Danny Guthrie was last season. He was our best midfielder. Had great crosses and shots. One for the future. I’d drop Nolan and start him and Barton in the middle

• bulljongen

Oct 9, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Can only see him as an understudy for barton the way things are going,Similar players but joe’s streets ahead

• CT

Oct 9, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Barton/Guthrie could play together, it`s about intelligence n discipline. One supports/ one stays deeper. Keeping this shape would also give room for either back to get forward, the other staying back in a defensive 3, with Tiote acting in front of them mobile across the park.

• john_cena163

Oct 9, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Let colo or joey captain da side n nolan replace wit love

• CT

Oct 9, 2010 at 6:50 PM

JC, I`d be happy wi that. Back to my formation, Alonso/Gerrard did this successfully for years, Alonso sold L`pool ti*s up!! Quickly off topic, GOin $ dins. 2 years time when new FIFA rules kick in Manure latest financials wud mean nowt, Zilch, didly squat,Feckal could be spent till they were tradin in the black!! Shame eh??? Can`t wait for Chelski/ Shitty etc, wud take years unless owners cleared the debts personally in UNSECURED LOANS , lifes a bitch!!!!!

• Brutooon

Oct 10, 2010 at 7:14 AM

Guthrie is young, his play is like xabi alonso (although its far to compare with him) but he will one day.