Shola Ameobi Remains An Enigma At Newcastle

Andy Carroll, after signing his new five year contract yesterday, may still find himself on the bench next Saturday, when Newcastle entertain Wigan Athletic at St. James’ Park, in what is another important home game.

Shola Ameobi – likely to keep place against Wigan

Shola is a product of the Newcastle Youth system, and has been a bit of an enigma at the club over the last 10 years, since he made his debut for Bobby Robson, against Chelsea in September of 2000.

And Shola has never achieved his potential at Newcastle, yet,  and has been too inconsistent throughout his career, which has been interrupted by injury too many times .

However, after his tremendous performance against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in the Carling Cup last month,  he now looks to be in top form, and kept Andy Carroll on the bench in the game at Eastlands last weekend.

The Nigerian born player, who turns 29 on Tuesday, has so far made 284 appearances and 64 goals for the Magpies and he remains Newcastle’s most experienced Premier League striker and Alan Shearer, a former teammate, knows just what he is capable of.

Shearer talked about two local strikers at the club – Shola and Andy Carroll:

“It could be quite a battle between Andy Carroll and Shola Ameobi this season. I’ve played with Shola and he has always shown flashes of brilliance."

“He was superb in training, but he has never managed to put it together over a long period of time in the first team.” “He has the ability, but he needs to show it consistently.”

“He was brought back into the team at Manchester City and he will be hoping to keep hold of his place.” “With the system Chris is playing at the moment, there is only space for one of them. That competition can only be good because they will both be desperate to hold on to the jersey.”

Probably the very best we have seen of Shola is last August when he scored 5 gaols in August when Newcastle were in the Championship, but then, as has happened too many times in the past, Shola was injured and never really regained his starting place, with Carroll taking his chance.

We hope Shola can keep up his good form, and a goal or two against Wigan a week today would be very nice, but the very last thing we want to see is that Newcastle cannot beat Wigan at home.

A win will see us on 10 points after 8 league games and comfortably positioned.

• Ciaran Thomas

Oct 9, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Come on Shola !

• listie

Oct 9, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Sir Bobby saw something in him, so I trust his judgement

• Reacher

Oct 9, 2010 at 3:05 PM

I think Shola is class. There, I said it.

I feel much better now.

• Bucks mag

Oct 9, 2010 at 4:09 PM

I don’t rate Shola, but I do think he deserves to start against Wigan. AC needs to get a goal after his new contract.

I’ll say this much for Shola; when you think strikers like DJ Campbell and Varney are scoring, it makes me think Shola should be getting 15 goals a season.

• callie9

Oct 9, 2010 at 4:53 PM

I think he’s an absolute disgrace. Why he’s still here I don’t know.

• Reacher

Oct 9, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Disgrace? Seems a bit extreme, but perhaps you’d like to elaborate…

It would be reasonable to say “I personally don’t think Shola’s a very good footballer, in that he shouldn’t be playing for a club with top flight aspirations”, but a disgrace? I don’t think that’s entirely justifiable.

My own opinion is one of a blinkered, sentimental, maybe slightly delusional faith in his ability. The stick he gets from a lot of Newcastle and even non-Newcastle fans (which I find most irksome) isn’t warranted in my opinion. Injuries have certainly been a factor in curtailing his progress. His personal life has never been the subject of media scrutiny, unlike our current Number 9.

He has good footballing ability. He causes opposition defenders problems. He showed more mobility in the game against City than Carroll had the previous three games combined. But hey, these are just my opinions.

I’m beginning to sound like his agent.

I

• gorskino10

Oct 9, 2010 at 11:58 PM

Ameobi is a player who does JUST enough not to get cut or sold, everytime the fans get on his back he has a good game, remember the time everyone was calling for him to be sold then he got injured during the next 2 transfer window, luck? nope cleaver thinking by him, And now he got a chance to play after that game at Chelsea and GUESS WHAT…….He goes back to his crappy self untill people are calling for him to get dropped or sold dont expend any good proformances from Shola! Play Ranger FFS he is FAR superior than Shola or even instead of Arfa, Ranger was played at RW and looked really good with his height he always plays well. Carrol should be back for this game.