Hughton Challenge – What To Do With Xisco?

The 24-year-old Spanish U21 striker Xisco, who was brought into Newcastle by Dennis Wise two years ago for a massive £5.7M is finding it hard to get a game at Newcastle – once again.

Xisco – finding it hard to get a game on Tyneside

Xisco will get another chance with the Reserves at Bloomfield Road in Blackpool on Wednesday night, but the lad really needs first team games to improve right now.

It’s another decision Newcastle manager has on his plate, as to what to do with the young striker, who’ll find it difficult to squeeze into the Newcastle squad, while, Chris plays with just one striker up front.

Hughton may want to look at sending Xisco out on loan again to get some games, and he was at Racing Santander for the whole of last season of course, and played 23 times with 3 goals.

Hughton talked about the lad today:

“Xisco has had to bide his time this season and it has been hard for him because he’s not had many minutes,”“He’s played in a couple of reserve games, but he’s found it hard to get in the side, as have a number of other players. At this stage in his development that is difficult for him, I’m sure.”

“With regards to a loan, he’s one that we’re continuing to assess. It is a matter of progress with him and sometimes first- team football is what helps you there, so it’s a possibility.”  “But I have emphasised to all of them who aren’t in the team that they have to keep pushing hard for selection. If they do that then the door isn’t shut to anyone.”

“He came back in the summer and his attitude has been very good,”“He worked hard and showed a very good approach in training.”  “It is no reflection on his effort or application that we’ve decided to use other players so far.”

It wasn’t Xisco’s fault that Dennis Wuse thought he was worth £5.7M, and the reports we keep hearing about the Spanish striker is that he has a first class and very positive attitude, and only wants to do the very best he can at Newcastle. It’s hard to criticize a player too much with that kind of outlook.

Indeed when he came on as a sub at the beginning of the season on the left wing, he looked quite a decent player, even though he was  playing out of position.

Newcastle tried to offload the striker to Racing Santander in the summer, but the La Liga club were not interested enough to make a deal, and we have no idea how much the transfer fee would have been – not much to be sure.

It could be that we’ll see a number of Newcastle players sent out on loan before the season goes too much further and among those who are candidates are Ryan Donaldson, Nike Ranger and of course Xisco.

• Brutooon

Oct 11, 2010 at 1:15 PM

he is a flop – same level as luque, marchelino etc

• munch27

Oct 11, 2010 at 1:29 PM

I don’t think he’s a flop just not an out and out striker i would like to see him in a free roll in front of midfield and behind caroll as i think he has good feet and a decent pass/cross .

• Solaidback

Oct 11, 2010 at 1:42 PM

I don’t think he’s had enough playing time for us to call him a flop, he needs the time in the 1st team but with the 4-5-1 formation, it’s only ever going to be Carroll or Ameobi up there, which isn’t the role that Xisco, Lovernkrands or Best would get to play in.. 🙁

• Solaidback

Oct 11, 2010 at 1:43 PM

The one thing I don’t understand is, last season when we played 4-4-2, both our front men, Carroll & Loveryboy plus Nolan scored for fun, since getting in the PL, we’ve gone to this 4-5-1 formation & the only game we’ve really scored in was the Villa game… so why is CH sticking with 1 up front??? I’m confused!!

• BeeGuy

Oct 11, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Most of you have been watching Xisco for a few years, I’ve only seen him a couple of times. But what I have seen is a player in the right place doing the right thing. What I have seen may be the exception, but if it is not, then I would find a place for him. To me, he has more future than some of those now playing.

As to NUFC playing 4-5-1. I’m against it. Since there seems to be a penalty kick awarded to NUFC opposition every week, Newcastle needs more goal scoring.

• NUFC_Richyg01

Oct 11, 2010 at 2:13 PM

The formation needs to change.

I want to see Carroll and McLoven playing up front together again, they formed a good partnership up front in the CCC.

********** Timo

Percho * Collo * Willo * Bullo

********** Toto

* Guito *** NoNo *** JoJo

******** LoLo * Carro

Subs: Sodo, Fergo, Solo, Raylo, Routo, Rango, SloSlo,

• NUFC_Richyg01

Oct 11, 2010 at 2:14 PM

I would rather see Xisco come on over Strolla any day

• Caljam

Oct 11, 2010 at 2:30 PM

That’s Strolla, the two-goal hero at Stamford Bridge? Yep, very good. Move along now.

• Toon Sweden77

Oct 11, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Cant complain about the job Hughton is doing but I would love to us play with 2 strikers again. Carroll, Xisco would actually be my first choice, belive Xisco could start deliver if hes given a run in the team. Might sound optimistic but thats the way I like it!

• Whumpie

Oct 11, 2010 at 2:42 PM

We’ve not had as many people as I’d expected on here saying what a disgrace it is that he hasn’t had the chance, etc.

Bottom line is he has had as much chance in training as anyone else, and that is what CH uses in his selections.

I too thought he looked ok – but no more – when he has been on, and certainly did a good job against Villa – but who in the team didn’t that day?

NUFC_Richyg01 – you’ve implied he’s better than Strolla. Can you honestly give us any evidence to support that? Anything?

• Whumpie

Oct 11, 2010 at 2:43 PM

For what it’s worth, and based on very, very little view of the lad, I also think his best position is probably Nolan’s. For now, Nolan’s position in another English club – loan or otherwise – would be good for all concerned.

• munch27

Oct 11, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Toto ffs dorothy’s dog must be 70 now a bit long in the tooth me thinks.

• NUFC_Richyg01

Oct 11, 2010 at 3:19 PM

Im not saying he is better than Strolla.

But Strolla is so annoying to watch, he drifts in and out of the game and always looks like its too much effort for him.

I think Xisco is a quality player but just has not been given the chance to show his worth.

• dave 1961

Oct 11, 2010 at 3:21 PM

Hughtons got to get things right for Saturday we can’t have another home defeat, we have looked poor at home the last two games, and we need to start to play with more conviction, Chris Hughton should put a picture of the assault of Hatem on the wall and just tell them they are going out to play against 12 men but if they apply themselves we can beat anyone, we want revenge, each & every game, we will not fear the bullies & thugs. it’s time now to stand up and be counted. we don’t want any more stokes’s or Blackpool’s we need to stay focused for 90+min to overcome what the reff might shaft us with.

• lewisnufc

Oct 11, 2010 at 5:10 PM

NUFC_Richyg01 – i hope you missing out joey barton was just a simple mistake….

• G

Oct 11, 2010 at 5:19 PM

Backtracking a bit, I agree with 4-5-1 away from home, but at SJP I would like us to switch to 2 up front. I think Xisco should be given a bit of playing time, as suddenly he has started looking like a footballer. 2 seasons ago, I was as much for chucking him out as the next man, but now, with the new mentality he has, and the fact that he seems to be wanted by this regime, I think it is stupid not to play him. When he has come on in place of jonas and played up the left, he has looked good, if not spectacular. Given more playing time, he might just be what we need in place of HBA. The worst case scenario here, is of course that more playing time means more scouting oportunity for spanish coaches to watch him play, which to me, means win-win. Nowt wrong with Shola by the way.

• dave 1961

Oct 11, 2010 at 5:52 PM

i have a feeling that we will go to 4-4-2 when best is playing again

• G

Oct 11, 2010 at 5:55 PM

And I will be happy to see it dave, after all, I believe Best has lots of doubters to prove wrong, and I belive the lad has it in him too.

• lewisnufc

Oct 11, 2010 at 6:18 PM

anyone else heard the rumours andy carroll got locked up again last night?

• branunited

Oct 11, 2010 at 11:42 PM

I have always had a great confiansa in Xisco, has not had many chances in the first team, but yet when played in friendly or competitive matches what has done well, I like to compare, but if I must, for me it is better LEON BEST that I would like to see a front Xisco and CARROL, or Xisco, Carroll and Lovenkrands in the band. Hold them confiansa this guy has great conditions and things get better. saying?

• Ericles

Oct 12, 2010 at 10:00 AM

Xisco is not a flop. He needs playing time in the first team. Lovekrands does not get playing time either. It makes me wonder what CH is up to sometimes. Without Ben Arfa we need to inject some more skill into the side – for me that is Lovenkrands and not Nolan or Smith.

• NUFC_Richyg01

Oct 12, 2010 at 10:30 AM

@ lewisnufc // Oct 11, 2010 at 5:10 PM (15)

NUFC_Richyg01 – i hope you missing out joey barton was just a simple mistake….

Erm… JoJo (from silly naming of players last week)

Who did you think I meant by JoJo??