Perch Soon Under Pressure For Newcastle Right Back Spot

James Perch’s former manager at Nottingham Forest has come out and talked about his former player, and thinks he can be a success at Newcastle United.

James Perch – can he make it big at Newcastle?

James was bought from Nottingham Forest for something like a little over £1M in the summer, and of course his own goal cost Newcastle a point at home to Stoke just eight days ago, but he did give a strong performance at Eastlands in the following game.

Former Nottingham Forest manager Mick Hartford talked about Perch’s own goal against Stoke and about his former player yesterday:

“At least he got his head on it!” “Seriously, though, I worked with James four or five years ago when he was just coming through the ranks at Forest.”   “The own goal was just one of these things.”

“I wouldn’t call it an error because if he didn’t head it, there was someone who was going to.” “You can almost forgive someone something like that – he wanted to get the ball.”  “Back when I was his manager he didn’t have a position for himself.”

“I think he was playing in midfield, centre-back and right-back, but he needed to find himself a position and now right-back is very much where he plays.” “Is he good enough? Yes, I think he is.” “He’s a committed lad and he has done ever so well to get himself to a big, big club like Newcastle.”

“He’s a strong lad – you had to be to come through at Forest at that time – and he will prove that for Newcastle.” “It’s a big, big opportunity and now he has to take it.” “These kind of chances don’t come along very often.”

It’s fair to say the jury is still out on James Perch, and most fans hope he can improve as he gets more and more Premier League games.  He’s a decent player, but James has yet to show he has the class to become a fully fledged Premier League player for Newcastle.

James has made 7 appearances for Newcastle so far this season, but Danny Simpson should soon be fit again from his ankle injury to press for that right back position, and Steven Taylor returns to full training next Monday following his shoulder injury, so James will soon be under significant pressure for his starting position at Newcastle.

• Ciaran Thomas

Oct 11, 2010 at 10:59 AM

We need to stop slagging off our own players,Enough is a Enough.I have read some of comments about Perch on this Blog site,We need to stand behind our players not abuse and slag them off.

I believe that James Perch got the makings of a good Right Back,Lets Support him not abuse him 😉

• coxonfamily

Oct 11, 2010 at 11:18 AM

I still blame Perch’s positioning personally lol, and isnt this the same bloke who was “bigging up” Joe Kinnear?

• jesus was a geordie

Oct 11, 2010 at 12:42 PM

Ciaran, I agree, we know Perch isn’t a world class player, we knew that before we signed him, I’m pretty certain he knows that himself. What he is though, is a hard working squad player. He’s been fairly thrown in at the deep end, Colo and Jose both took more than a full season to establish themselves in the Prem and I don’t see that Perch is any different!

He’ll never break us into the top four, but he will work hard to keep us up and for that he deserves respect!

• DarloGeordie

Oct 11, 2010 at 12:55 PM

We are all allowed our own opinions and i personally believe he is shite to be honest with you. Yes the own goal is forgiveable because a cross like that then someone would have got their head on it, however the performances before that goal were really terrible and I don’t believe he can handle it in the Premier League. I really really hope that he makes me eat my words and turns out to be an absolute beast!!!

• Moreno

Oct 11, 2010 at 1:02 PM

I ain’t his biggest fan, he has got his chance though, has he done enough to keep his position?

Unfortunately he is gonna get knocked off his Perch pretty soon when he serves his suspension for the yellow cards he consistantly picks up! If his replacement has a storming game, it will be hard to drop him.

• Brutooon

Oct 11, 2010 at 1:12 PM

During the Man City game, the opponents attack more at perch side.

Perch is our weaker link at the back four. we need ryan taylor to play there

i know he play for us and we need to support him, but the problem is that we keep playing CHAMPIONSHIP players will cost us the points.

• REDREDRED

Oct 11, 2010 at 1:26 PM

As a Forest Fan I was not sad to see him leave, hes a great player but this is one game in 3, one other will be fair but the third he will be awful. he get used all over the pitch at forest due to our thin squad but do I think hes good enough for the Premiership, no, will we all be asking what happed to Pearch in 2 years…yes because once he is out of your team and you get a quality defender he will be a fixture of the reserves and will likly move on.

• Moreno

Oct 11, 2010 at 1:31 PM

Brutooon

Ryan Taylor at right back vs. David Silva?

I really don’t think that would be the solution, taylor can score a belter now and again, he isn’t the best right back defensively though.

Simpson would be my choice, failing that S. Taylor.

btw, buying championship players never did David Moyes any harm.

• dave 1961

Oct 11, 2010 at 1:46 PM

I have been attending st James park for over 36 years now i& i can honestly say i have never seen a player that has been slagged off as much as perch ever improve it hardly does confidence any good by telling him he’s us, I remember Mick Martin and he was just an average player, until the crowed nick named him zico and his game play improved a hell of a lot until he became a half decent player. if we gave him encouragement I bet he could raise his game.

• Ciaran Thomas

Oct 11, 2010 at 1:48 PM

If you watched the Chelsea match,Ryan Taylor was crap besides him scoring that goal.He got skinned every time they attacked down the right hand side.

If Ryan Taylor was any good,we would be in the starting line up.

So lay of James Perch,Slagging your club’s players shows you have no respect for them nor Chris Hughton manager skills.

• Reacher

Oct 11, 2010 at 3:49 PM

I don’t subscribe to the view that we, as paying fans, should not pass negative judgement on the players. I need not remind anyone that these individuals are, to say the least, paid rather handsomely for plying their trade. The rest of us are susceptible and accountable for any errors that we may make in our professions, so why shouldn’t footballers be? Not to mention the fact that the rest of us are paid a helluva lot less!

So, I for one reserve the right to say what I want about my clubs’ players, be it good or bad.

And, Cieran, by your assessment, saying that “Ryan Taylor was crap”, and stipulating that “if he was any good”, shows that you have “no respect” for him, nor Chris Hughton’s “manager skills”.

• chuck

Oct 11, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Unfortunately Perch may be a nice guy and is certainly a tryer, but he reflects his transfer fee, as for Simpson, a little better, but not the quality required by any decent EPL club.
    Seems young Ferguson is now the backup of choice behind “El Toro”is he that good ?
    Neither R. Taylor or the two mentioned above should be long term considerations for the RB spot, but used to generate income in order to bring in a decent RB.
    Hey only an opinion !

• chuck

Oct 11, 2010 at 5:33 PM

Reacher
    Ryan Taylor is crap !
    Has nothing to do with lack of respect for anyone.
    It`s a commonly held opinion, that`s all !

• Reacher

Oct 11, 2010 at 8:30 PM

Chuck, I wasn’t expressing an opinion either way about Ryan Taylor.

Please have a look at what Cieran Thomas above my post, and then reflect on my Ryan Taylor comments.

• Brutooon

Oct 12, 2010 at 1:53 AM

Even if some fans slagged Ryan Taylor is not good at right back BUT

we still got collocini who can play right back. Argentina International and play lots of time at Right Back

Collocini and Williamson stay at CB

I would like for Perch to play at right winger…he seem to be a good crosser of the ball