Ben Arfa In Good Spirits – Magpies May Press Claims Further


Chris Hughton has said today that 23 year-old Hatem Ben Arfa remains in good spirits, and is pressing on with his rehabilitation.

Ben Arfa – we all want to see more of these fantastic goals

Hatem has traveled to Tunisia to spend some time with his family, and then the plan is for him to return to Newcastle for his rehabilitation.  However, we expect the club will allow him to see his parents now and again over the next several months, as he recovers from what is an awful injury for the youngster.

Hatem suffered a double fracture of his tibia and fibular in his left leg (the good one), after a wild two footed flying challenge from the Eastlands assassin Nigel DeJong, and the Dutchman has rightly received severe criticism in the press since the incident.

Hughton says the 23-year-old Frenchman is quite determined to return to the Newcastle ranks just as soon as he can – and that attitude will have to help, and we all hope he can make it back to play for the Magpies before the end of the season.

Chris told Sky Sports News today:

“He’s in good spirits. It’s obviously a very difficult time for him. He’s a young man that’s going through an injury, and a length of injury that he hasn’t had before.”

“But he’s in good spirits and all his thoughts are on his rehabilitation and getting back as fit as he can as quick as he can.”

Newcastle wrote a letter to the English Football Association asking that action be taken against DeJong for his wild tackle, but the FA, true to form, said there was nothing they could do about it. That was hardly a surpise to those who know how the FA works, and what they do – which is nothing much.

Chris has said it is an ongoing matter, which we expect is being handled by Managing Director Derek Llambias, and we understand that owner Mike Ashley was incensed with the challenge by the Dutchman, and not at all happy with the situation Newcastle now find themselves in.

Chris continued:

“It’s an ongoing matter that’s being dealt with. Our job here is to get on with the business in hand. It’s something we have to put behind us and look forward to a very tough game at the weekend.”

It’s not Chris’ job to pursue this, but there is a hint that Newcastle have not finished with this yet, and  we hope that’s true.

It looks like the club may still be  trying to get some action taken against DeJong,  for smashing the leg of one of our most gifted players.

We hope that’s the case.



You can share this articleShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePin on PinterestDigg thisShare on LinkedInShare on RedditShare on Tumblr

9 comments so far

  • G

    Oct 13, 2010 at 4:59 PM

    Comment #1

    I thought LOM were the ones taking the action, not us? Not sure how much weight we can add to any kind of claims, or who would be beneficiary should there be any kind of compo?

    0
  • Chris F

    Oct 13, 2010 at 5:10 PM

    Comment #2

    depends on the terms of the loan.

    if we’re paying his wages, we could seek damages in relation to that outlay

    marseille could potentially seek damages for incurred losses (ie if we don’t buy him, or if there were additional fees tacked on to the loan regarding games played/goals scored during the course of the loan period)

    0
  • G

    Oct 13, 2010 at 5:22 PM

    Comment #3

    Don’t know about any of the above Chris, but my understanding is under the new rules, that long term injuries mean the underwritters insuring the players pay the wages? Or is that only in relation to injuries whilst on international duties? Not sure how any of the guidelines relate in terms of loan players etc, but I know its all very complicated, and as you correctly point out I supose it would all depend on the terms of the loan deal.

    0
  • bassongs_of_praise

    Oct 13, 2010 at 5:40 PM

    Comment #4

    Surely it doesnt matter who would get any financial compensation, at the end of the day something needs to be done to deal with De Jong simply so that he doesnt wreck anyone elses career with another horror tackle in the weeks ahead.

    I dont really care about the club getting compensated, that would be a bonus. I just want to see this guy (and others) stop getting away with murder.

    The fact nothing has been done is just a joke.

    0
  • Toonmania

    Oct 13, 2010 at 7:47 PM

    Comment #5

    De Jong is nothing but a thug and is cut from the same mould as Karl Henry both would have been arrested and charged for GBH for that sort of behaviour had it been on the street instead of a football pitch so why shouldn’t they be charged with something along those lines

    0
  • Hatem is a geordie

    Oct 13, 2010 at 8:17 PM

    Comment #6

    Referees needs to stamp out these jump in two footed scissor tackles that break players legs. It’s not just De Jong who is guilty of them.
    Instant red cards would sort the problem out.

    Ben

    0
  • geoff777

    Oct 13, 2010 at 8:34 PM

    Comment #7

    Nobody is going to be claiming anything.
    The referee saw the incident and took no action.
    The FA have since looked into it and taken no action.

    How is a judge ever going to rule against De Jong?
    If the sports officials haven’t.

    0
  • joppadoni

    Oct 13, 2010 at 10:07 PM

    Comment #8

    he will bust a few more legs before that ever happens, however the reality is the spotlights on refs to see it, punish it on the field and file a report when it happens next, just hope we dont hit man city in a cup or two 🙁

    0
  • JIMMYBOBNUFC4LIFE

    Oct 13, 2010 at 10:26 PM

    Comment #9

    I still cant get over this HBA injury so i cant imagine how the lad feels he would of been Special this season the best in the leauge at what he does with his MAGIC and SKILL..also will he be the same when he recoverys god i hope so de jong has got away with it,,, A Disgrace But True???? I stongly believe in what goes around? COMES AROUND??…Ihope its awful HWTL

    0

You must log in to post a comment.