Time To Reel In Perch And Throw In Simpson

Poor James Perch had a terrible game today, and was simply no match for former Newcastle winger Charles N’Zogbia.

James Perch – not good enough today

Charles scored a couple of goals in quick succession in the 22nd and 23rd minutes, the first one was when he comically out jumped both Perch and Williamson on the six yard box to head past Krul.

He’s 5’7″ tall and Williamson is 6’4″ tall. And then again the French International controlled a cross sent in from the right wing by Di Santo, and  quite calmly smashed the ball past Tim Krul from a narrow angle with that left foot of his, and we were  2-0 down at home.

And Newcastle must have played their very worst football of the season in those first 45 minutes.

We have to stop playing great against difficult sides when we lose, like at Eastlands,  and also stop playing terrible football against poor sides like Stoke, Blackpool and Wigan, when we fail to pick up  the points we should be getting.  That’s a recipe for almost certain relegation.

We have one home point now from three home games against Blackpool, Stoke and Wigan – and if we cannot beat these teams at home – then who can we beat?

We don’t like to really pick out players, and we probably shouldn’t –  but there have been some doubts about James Perch all season, and we don’t think Chris Hughton now can afford the luxury to have James learn his trade in the Premier League  – the points are just too important.

He looked completely out of his depth today, and we would expect Danny Simpson to now play only 45 minutes in the Reserve game on Tuesday afternoon, against Bolton at the Benton Training grounds.

Danny could then be primed to be available for our next game at Upton Park next Saturday, and we’ll look for young Steven Taylor to come back soon too, as the 24 year-old defender resumes full training on Monday.

But if the lads keep defending like they did in this game today, then we can kiss goodbye to any points in London next Saturday – and quite honestly – we deserved nothing from this game today – nothing.

And Sol Campbell wasn’t even on the bench, so we’re not sure if he was injured, but Chris may decide now is the time to get Sol’s competence, confidence and experience into this Newcastle line-up for next Saturday.

• partizanovec

Oct 16, 2010 at 6:25 PM

Hard that anyone can argue if Perch is being dropped. If Nolan can, I can’t see why Perch wouldn’t.
    Hughton is well aware of that methinks too.

• geordie_india

Oct 16, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Yeah actually the time has passed a way long back! Bring on Simpson!!!

• JP...from The Rock

Oct 16, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Perch needs to be replaced and played from the bench if we have a two goal lead. He is to shaky in defense for my liking and again at fault for the visitors goal. I would love to see Steven Taylor when fit claim thr right back spot. His forward runs are dangerous and as a defender he can play well there as he has done in the past. Great team spirit to comeback from a lost match today and claim a vital point.

• korn8

Oct 16, 2010 at 6:49 PM

I see many others say certain things about Perch; he was bad today and surely Hughton got to consider options at rightback now. At the same time i feel a bit sorry for him; i suppose we bought him as a cover for the other RBs and he should have got some time to try to fit in the team and the level in the premiership. Ryan Taylor showed against Chelsea that he certainly can handle playing at RB.

• Whitecap

Oct 16, 2010 at 6:52 PM

I didn’t understand why CH left him in the game. He was clearly having another terrible game and was being abused at the back. Being 2 goals down, I don’t understand why he wasn’t replaced by Ryan Taylor. Even if Ryan Taylor is no better defensively, he is without a doubt twice the player Perch is on the attacking end.

• Bucks mag

Oct 16, 2010 at 6:58 PM

I’ve maintained that Perch could do a job … until today. Sorry mate, you should be dropped.

On another note, Colo was class today in all aspects. A real Captain’s performance.

• toongloom

Oct 16, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Perch is shocking and tell you what boys it wont be long before we all complain about danny simpson. Hes shocking too at rb!. Ryan taylor is slow but atleast offers good set pieces.

The other thing is it me or has any one else noticed the fact that routledge is not a premiership player, he does nothing and out every bit of creativity comes from the left with enrique and jonas.

The other thing, tiote wat a player! and collicini is for me having the best season so far since he joined. And pls chris play ranger a bit more!

• ginkoh

Oct 16, 2010 at 7:30 PM

If Hughton decide 11 starting line-up by form, It’s time for R.Taylor or Simpson or S.Taylor now.

• DarloGeordie

Oct 16, 2010 at 7:31 PM

yeah for all you people defending him last week your not any more are you. I had a class day today at the match despite Perch being utter wank… If he plays again then i quit. What cheers me up is Boro being 20th in Championship haha laughing.

Also for all you people who were questioning me when i said play Ameobi n Caroll up together nah mate ya see what happens. Lover boy was very average today he did nothing. Ameobi is beast the big jordie.

We going down this season if we play like that again tho

• DarloGeordie

Oct 16, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Lets put it this way… We would be in the top half this season if Perch wasn’t in our team. Might as well play with ten men he is that bad.

• Suklowor

Oct 16, 2010 at 8:07 PM

I want perch out from the team..!!!

5 card i 5 first game, 1 own goal, 2 goal from zogbia, it’s really terrable mistakes.

Please Chris.. !! we still have Simpson & R. Taylor..!!

• listie

Oct 16, 2010 at 8:12 PM

CH needs to relook at his not spending any money in January plan!

• leedodd

Oct 16, 2010 at 8:16 PM

I am afraid to say he is Not A Premier League Player. Send Him To The Championship. We need Experienced Premier League Players Like Ryan Taylor etc We cant afford to Keep Giving Players Chances. Was Nolan Injured Today ?? Also what was Up With Peter Lovenkrands Today ??

• tom tomb

Oct 16, 2010 at 8:56 PM

I was sat next to a bloke who when I said R Taylor should have been in v old club instead of Perch, he told me perch was the best player for right back! I explained that a) he is shite b) old players do well v old clubs and c) there are 4 right backs at the toon better. Still he backed him up! so I gave that fool verbal throughout. The goals , the missed tackle around 85 mins etc etc. If I had not been with my 7yo, I would have snuffed him out and had 45000 people as witnesses for me!
    He is without doubt the worst signing since Pat Heard! Or for younger bloggers Fumaca.

• branunited

Oct 16, 2010 at 9:14 PM

need to do four moves so fast so we can improve, get perch and put ryan taylor or simpson (perch is not that bad, but contributes very little), taylor ryan guthrie or by Routledge (perhaps lost in excesses, but we will win, in long shots and short distance, but especially in goals than either of you can contribute), keep kevin nolan, but in its natural position as a central midfielder (in the last matches we have seen and it shows lost , also has no specific weight of a front as midfielder is the best, in which case you want to continue using nolan as striker Alan Smith is that he can do well), finally, accompany with another striker carroll , Lovenkrands, Ameobi, Xisco or as alan smith case (when playing with a single point, you lose weight in the front, and not worry about the opponent, today’s result was a tie with SABOR A VICTORIA, knowing that we were very little to lose, and would have been catastrophic, it was good to win, but let ‘s see to, at least not lost, YOU SAY?

• baro

Oct 16, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Perch is totally SHIT

• baro

Oct 16, 2010 at 9:24 PM

—————————-Krul—————————

S.Taylor——-Sol—————-Colo—–Enrique

That is how the back 4 should be. Williamson and Simpson are just too much of a risk, concede easy fouls and too risky unconsistent players

• Toon-tinted-glasses

Oct 16, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Perch has been a Fish out of Water all season (excuse the Pun!)…He currently has no confidence, and i don’t know whether Chris Hughton keeps picking him hoping it will boost his confidence, but the more he is left in the spotlight in the 1st 11, the more his confidence is draining…For his own sanity he needs to be dropped.

Simpson should replace him, although tbh I don’t really understand why Ryan Taylor isn’t getting a look in.

Having said all the above, the whole team were shocking today; to name a few…

Tim Krul – Seemed a little unsure of himself today; his kicking appeared suspect, especially when the opposition tried to close him down and he had to rush the clearance.

C Tiote – Appeared to be in a foul mood throughout; not sure what got his goat; maybe he was lacking sleep from his international duties, but he was as assured as he has been.

Joey Barton – Can so do better than that; he must have had the wrong contact lenses in today because his vision was terrible!

Mike Williamson – This is probably unfair, as he has set his own standards very high since he joined us, but he was struggling today; he got away with a couple of shirt pulls when he got outclassed.

A Carroll – I have commenting negatively on any NUFC no 9 but he also did not look confident or in the game today; maybe its the court appearance looming….There were a couple of good touches we expect, but not on the ball as he has been!

Formation-wise, I don’t like Guthrie on the right; he started there last season then eventually played through the middle and played much better; I know a lot of commenters on here are not thrilled with Routledge, but at least the opposition aren’t sure which wing we are going to attack from…I can almost predict what ball Enrique will play (1. to Jonas, who was more bothered with his hair-do or 2. a wild cross that missed everyone and went into the stand!)

As someone else said, we should have been disappointed with the draw today, but the equalising goal came so late and after such an abject performance it almost felt like a win!!!!

Why do we only play as though we want to win / score when the odds are stacked against us with 20 minutes to go? If we started like that, our jitters wouldn’t be so bad!!!

• Toon-tinted-glasses

Oct 16, 2010 at 11:08 PM

ooops hate commenting on no 9’s not have commenting lol!

• Toon XI

Oct 16, 2010 at 11:17 PM

If CH plays Perch at West Ham it would be a blatant case of malpractice by a gaffer.

• Brutooon

Oct 17, 2010 at 12:07 AM

Perch is our worst player this season and the problem is that CH keep on playing him

Raylor can perform better there
    Danny simpson is better than him
    Steven taylor will be back soon

Reason perch was signed was just a backup!

If i am an opponent manager i would ask my left winger to attack more on perch side

• branunited

Oct 17, 2010 at 3:43 AM

watch the match delayed at 7:00 pm Mexico time, since I could not watch it live, I was studying, I think we all agree to what I say in the first goal will and perch are wrong not to jump , second of all, but all the error is JAMES PERCH, (I am also creative side defense, which has to be doing james perch in midfield when the team is defending tactical error in the first goal of the technical error if are lateral and a center ball is in motion, you must get in front of the attacking diagonal, in order to clear, do not jump in after him as he did not throw good schools, not fire, lost ball in midfield, on one occasion Lovenkrands made from camo back to defend against, and another to Tiote, is more than clear that the remainder of the tournament, unless there is an injury, should jugr, 1: RYAN TAYLOR, 2: DANNY SIMPSON or 3: STEVEN TAYLOR in that position, it is clear perch is not bad, but it hinders more than it contributes.
    another point: I would love to see in the newcastle, or two players to enter the Liverpool manager plans, Ryan Babel and Lucas Leiva dinereo will exist to bring them? saying?

• branunited

Oct 17, 2010 at 3:45 AM

another point: I would love to see in the newcastle, or two players to enter the Liverpool manager plans, Ryan Babel and Lucas Leiva money will exist to bring them? saying?

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Oct 17, 2010 at 8:53 AM

Everyone and his dog are screaming on every rubriek that Perch should,nt be played!

So why does CH insist on picking hime every game. He is clearly out of his depth in the Prem,and still needs to improve a lot to make the grade. He was brought in as a utility player, but Chris has made him a basis player who starts every game?

It is, i think going a bit far to blame him for everything that has gone wrong in our home games, however, there are 11 players on the pitch eh!

Why did,nt he play Ryan yesterday against his old club. This is a total mystery to me, and to a lot of other people too methinks.

Bran United! I have difficulty understanding what you are trying to say! I did, however get your drift, even if the message was a little unclear!

• toonbrother

Oct 17, 2010 at 12:53 PM

Colocinni has been the common factor in all our lousy defensive displays this season and last time we were in the premiership!

With him constantly starting for us I forsee yet another relegation struggle on the horizon. If you pay attention, he is never anywhere to be found especially when
    a. we are being attacked with the aerial balls and
    b. we are facing quick counter attacks
    the less experienced observers will absolve him of any blame because they dont see him getting beat by the likes of Nzogbia but in fact he is the main culprit because he has perfected the art of
    hiding away from the line of fire

If Chris has the guts to replace him with Sol going forward, I envisage a top ten finish for us.
    (Note:In light of his heroic last minute goal yesterday i know its probably not what a popular point to make right now but at least you cant accuse me of jumping on the bandwaggon)

• geoff777

Oct 17, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Perch stopped Williamson defending the fist goal.
    Then was AWOL for the second.

He then stopped a confident hatrick hunting N’Zogbia for more than 60 minutes.

Agreed he needs more experience and time but come on he’s only been at the club a few months.

He needs encouraging not tearing to bits.
    A spell in the reserves and games in the cup?
    C’mon Perchy!

• Reacher

Oct 17, 2010 at 1:51 PM

I could not disagree more with your assessment on Coloccini toonbrother.

He’s a very classy player. He has an excellent touch (something of a rarity in say, an English defender), terrific positional sense and is a great professional. And in reference to your stipulating his apparent unwillingness to shy away from aerial balls, I don’t know if you watched the game yesterday but he won a number of towering headers.

Sure he has some weaknesses. He could maybe be a bit nastier, but at the end of the day that’s not his style.

It’s perhaps a little unfair to cite our relegation season and point the finger of blame on Coloccini. It was his first season playing in England. He came into a team with very little confidence, making it even harder to adjust. He was often merely a scapegoat for so-called “pundits” like Lawrenson and Andy Gray to reiterate that age-old cliché “Newcastle’s defence simply isn’t good enough”.

To say that Colo is a common factor in our lousy defensive displays is to do a disservice to how very easy he made playing in the Championship look last season. At times, it was as if him and Enrique were taking the p!ss.

He is not only our best centre-back, but also our best right-back.

• toonbrother

Oct 17, 2010 at 3:01 PM

@Reacher To state the obvious, the standard of football in the championship is inferior that of the premiershiep. Fair enough about colocinni’s touch I actually agree with you there but thats not enough to offset his flaws in the grand scheme of things

Whatever our disagreements on colocinni, fact is we need Sol Campbell introduced in central defence asap . Sometimes we underestimate the psychological boost a reassuring presence like Campbell’s can give the rest of the defence – jittery james perch included. Colocinni has the opposite effect on his teammates- his presence instills panic in our back four. Even Bassong looked distinctly average playing alongside him.

Williamson is not the finished article but he’s young, has great mobility, strength and plays with honesty . The kid has a lot of upside ;above all he’d be a better compliment to sol thaan Colocinni.

• Reacher

Oct 17, 2010 at 3:36 PM

Yes, of course I agree that the standard in the Championship is far inferior to that of the Premiership. In fact I was suprised to how big the gulf in class was to be honest, as I am sure others were too. My point was simply that Colo was a class apart last season, and for him to go from that level of performance to being the culprit of our defensive failings thus far this season, is somewhat inaccurate, in my opinion.

I like Williamson, I really do. He’s been an absolute revelation and great value for money (something that Newcastle are not known for!) but I just have this constant nagging feeling that he’s going to get found out, like he did a couple of times yesterday. If anything, I would argue that it’s Williamson’s presence that instills an element of panic. I always think that Colo looks incredibly assured, particularly nowadays.

I’m not quite sure what you meant by Bassong looking distinctly average alongside Colo? By that, are you saying Bassong is a better player?