Emotional Argentine Captain Dedicates Goal To Late Mother

Coloccini was certainly emotional after his point saving late goal on Saturday, and now we know there was more behind that than first met the eye.

Fab Colloccini – that one’s for you mother!

In an emotional post-match interview, Coloccini told the Evening  Chronicle:

“It was very emotional for me for a lot of different reasons.” “It was because it was my first goal at St James’ Park, and also because Sunday was mother’s day in Argentina.”

“For me, it was very important as my mother Silvia died back in 2001, and  I wanted to make a tribute.”

That was Fab’s third goal for Newcastle over the last two seasons or so, but the first one ever in the Premier League, and it’s a habit we hope he gets used to.

Coloccini continued:

“It was my first goal in the Premier League, and we were losing, so it was very important.” “I enjoyed my goals away from home against Cardiff City and Watford, but they were for the people who travelled a long way to support us.”

“It’s nice to give a present to the fans at home.” “And it was nice to see the goal bring as much joy as it did on Saturday.”

It was the first time that Fab has been captain  in the Premier League, but of course he was made honorary captain in August against his former club Deportivo la Coruna, in the pre-season friendly in Spain.

It’s clear that Fab loves being captain at Newcastle, as he continued:

“The captaincy was a present to me – it was very important.” “You are the boss on the pitch, and you can speak to the referee.” “I have to say thank you to the manager and my team-mates for this.”

“At half-time, I thought I am the captain!” “We had to draw or win the game. I had to take more responsibility than normal.”

“I think we played the worst first half in the league, and we have to learn from that and correct the mistakes in the next game.” “We have to do better.”

Coloccini certainly looks captain material at the Newcastle club, no doubt about that, and he also qualifies because of his vast experience and his obvious love of the club – and of course he’s a big fan favorite on Tyneside.

We do expect to see Kevin Nolan return at West Ham next Saturday, after Chris gave the Liverpool boy a day off on Saturday, so Colo may have to wait for his next game as a proud Newcastle captain.

• North Atlantic Magpie

Oct 18, 2010 at 1:24 PM

We have a clueless manager especially for home games. What is he afraid of at SJP?

• GeordieDan

Oct 18, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Losing your mother puts everything else into perspective. Football very rarely comes second to anything in my life like most Geordie’s but family always comes first.

Having a son who is so well thought of by so many is a tribute to her memory in itself. I’m sure she is even more proud of Fabicio than we were when that goal went in!

Cheers Colo, your a legend and your Mother has to be proud of that.

• GeordieDan

Oct 18, 2010 at 1:28 PM

>North Atlantic Magpie

Read the article u muppet.

Go Hughton bash on another blog. Aye he deserves critism for tactics the other day but what’s that got to do with this story?

• wynsleap

Oct 18, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Coloccini is a class performer who has never given anything less than 100% to this club. He is the acceptable face of Newcastle United and should be given the captaincy on a permanent basis. I’m afraid it’s time for Nolan to hand it over as his place is becoming less certain, now that Guthrie is back (play him in the centre please) and Gosling nears fitness.

• Born Again Geordie

Oct 18, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Guthrie was poor though wynsleap you have to admit that ! he looked second rate at times – and that is being kind !

• Ciaran Thomas

Oct 18, 2010 at 2:22 PM

She will be proud of Ya Fab,We all are !.Kevin Nolan Or Coloccini to be Captain ?

• G

Oct 18, 2010 at 2:38 PM

@ Post 5. Most of the team were in and out of the game. It’s not often I agree with the Sunday Sun ratings, but lets be honest, the only man who looked great at the weekend was Jonas, which I never expected to be able to say!

• Brutooon

Oct 18, 2010 at 2:50 PM

Great Player
    Great Person
    Your Mom will be proud of you Collocini!

• nufcant

Oct 18, 2010 at 3:29 PM

Coloccini is a legend. I sit up in the leazas so i couldnt really tell who had put it in at first but when it came over the speakers i was so chuffed for colo to get his first premiere league goal, he deserves it.

• Bucks mag

Oct 18, 2010 at 4:25 PM

“Oh Coloccini…”

Love that chant, probs the best excluding Blaydon Races

• davis_toons

Oct 18, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Still recalling from the season when both of the Argi were force out of the match day and made to cycle on the track at the side line.

Remb? They both have improve. Not to our highly expectation but ok to watch.

Now is for those that whom have just joint us to blend into the squad.

• Sav

Oct 19, 2010 at 2:12 AM

I’d be more than happy to see Colo keep the band.