James Perch Finding It Hard To Tow The Line At Newcastle

Newcastle right-back James Perch did not have a good game on Saturday.

James Perch – finding it difficult in Premier League

In fact James had a bit of a nightmare game, and just couldn’t handle former player Charles N’Zogbia, and we have to think Perch was targeted by Wigan manager Roberto Martinez, as the weak link in the Newcastle defense.

And both goals came form the last wing with Charles scoring the two goals that he took very well.  Danny Simpson could return for the vital game at West Ham late Saturday afternoon, and the game is being televised live around the world.

Danny will play for the Reserves tomorrow against Bolton Wanderers at the Benton Training grounds and no doubt Chris will take a along hard look at Simpson, who has been outstanding in the last two Reserve team games.

Hughton talked about Danny today:

“Danny Simpson has played two reserve-team games, and he will play again tomorrow.” “The decision will be on how much more football he needs to play.”

“He has missed a lot of football – he missed the whole of pre-season.”

We were surprised to see Danny start on Saturday out on the right wing, but he did quite well and he may also be given more match practice in the Reserve game tomorrow afternoon.

Steven Taylor also returns to full training today, following his recovery from a shoulder injury, and as soon as the local lad is fit, he could also come back into the Newcastle defense – somewhere.

• ginkoh

Oct 18, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Perch just not good enough yet, that’s fact.

• G

Oct 18, 2010 at 2:01 PM

@ post 1. Seconded, agreed, and a double dose of smug!

• BeeGuy

Oct 18, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Poor Perch, CH & the fans! The guy who is at this moment the best RB on the squad does not have the answers to the questions. That hurts everybody.

It was scarry to hear Colo talk about not getting three points. That is what you hear before people start jumping ship.

• geoff777

Oct 18, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Ed, Think you are getting your Dannys mixed up.
    It was Danny Guthrie who started right midfield.

• G

Oct 18, 2010 at 2:07 PM

@ BeeGuy, he isn’t the best RB in the squad, he is just one of 2 mediocre fit RB’s. Glad Danny S is fit again, as I for one am sick of defending Perch because of his age. He has had enough starts in the Prem now, and he looks well and truly out of his depth. I know he was brought in as cover, but circumstance forced him into play, but hopefully he will learn an improtant lesson once he realises he has to earn a place. He should, in theory get better, but right now, he looks weaker with every game, as the more he plays, the more the oposition get to watch his game and exploit his weaknesses.

• Born Again Geordie

Oct 18, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Perch is not up to the premier league. If we had been playing a better team we would have been 5 or 6 down at half time. We were cringing at times during the first half ! He had Ryan Taylor on the bench – why not play him ?

• Ciaran Thomas

Oct 18, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Put Tiote at Right Back ? then letting Danny.G Go into the middle,Having Raylor on the right 🙂

Just saying 🙂

• Brutooon

Oct 18, 2010 at 2:46 PM

if i am the opponents manager, i would play my 10 years old unknown never-tested left winger to go against perch and would easily score 5-7 goals from perch side.

yupz he is crap!

we got (according to order)
    Steven Taylor
    Ryan Taylor
    Collocini
    Tiote (but i prefer him at DM)
    Guthrie possible can play there
    Our Reserve RB (whoever)
    Our Under 18 RB (whoever)
    Our Under 15 RB (whoever)
    Perch

• Ericles

Oct 18, 2010 at 2:55 PM

Perch needs more time to develop. As for more waffle from CH – he goes on about Simpson missing a lot of football and then puts in Guthrie who has also missed a lot of football as well!! Ryan Taylor should have played against Nzogbia.

• munch27

Oct 18, 2010 at 2:58 PM

weres danny simpson fit in Bru?

• GvFalkirk

Oct 18, 2010 at 3:01 PM

According to a Norweagian newspaper, Andy Carroll has been in trouble again. This time its a girl that got some head injuris. Hope this is just bullocks. For you who understand norweagian/scandinavian this is the link:

• sith

Oct 18, 2010 at 3:03 PM

o…my dear perch
    what more can i said…he is a proven liability to the squad..
    he set a new Premier League record by being the first player ever to receive 5 yellow cards in his first 5 games in the league..
    then an OWN GOAL…what a contribution..
    sorry perch..u’ve done enough..

• Ericles

Oct 18, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Ciaran Thomas has a good point too. Danny Guthrie is far more effective in the middle. Against Wigan we only had a right flank when Jonas moved over there at times.

• 37 BEN ARFA 37

Oct 18, 2010 at 3:11 PM

BRUTOON THATS A TERRIBLE ORDER OF RIGHT BACKS…

RB ORDER

Danny Simpson
    Ryan Taylor
    Steven Taylor
    Collocinni (if really short of players)
    James Perch (should play for reserves)

Guthrie could never play at right back

• sith

Oct 18, 2010 at 3:14 PM

danny simpson should play RB..
    ryan taylor can play RM..possibly more good crosses and a proven free kick specialist.
    guthrie is a AMC, nolan places if he does not play..

• newcastle10

Oct 18, 2010 at 3:46 PM

looks like calderwood could be on his way to hibs

• NUFC_Richyg01

Oct 18, 2010 at 3:47 PM

• GeordieGerman

Oct 18, 2010 at 3:49 PM

GvFalkirk, Ya na what? a divn’t give a sugar. I have just got back from the toon after watching the Wigan match, after buying my son (11) a Carroll strip, after a stadium tour, After putting a very little bit of money towards Carroll’s wages and after spending over an hour of waiting outside the emergency tunnel, freezing my bollocks off, so my son could see and maybe get an autograph of a couple of players (he did OK) Sol came out first walking and signed a few but also took my son in his arms. What a gentleman. Dan Gosling, also walking. A few just drove passed but smiled and waved. Lovenkrands signed and Williamson parked on the side of the road and signed loads. Then comes Mr. Flash No. 9 in his all (all) chrome Range Rover, neither looking left or right, not a smile or a wave, foot to the floor. If it wasn’t for another kids mother pulling my and her son out of the way, Carroll would be up in court for more than assaulting an ex girlfriend (see SKY). Who does he think he is? My son says he’s going to cut the signatures out of the shirt and glue them on to Campbell’s. I and a few other people who where there would agree with him.

• NUFC_Richyg01

Oct 18, 2010 at 3:49 PM

@ newcastle10 // Oct 18, 2010 at 3:46 PM (16)

Who would you see being Hoots’ new right hand man if he leaves?

• newcastle10

Oct 18, 2010 at 3:50 PM

NUFC_Richyg01 i would like to see nickey butt

• NUFC_Richyg01

Oct 18, 2010 at 3:51 PM

@ GeordieGerman // Oct 18, 2010 at 3:49 PM (18)

Excuse Carroll, he was in a rush to leave to get to his court appearence!

• NUFC_Richyg01

Oct 18, 2010 at 3:52 PM

@ newcastle10 // Oct 18, 2010 at 3:50 PM (20)

Very Good call mate, never thought of him!

• NUFC_Richyg01

Oct 18, 2010 at 3:54 PM

What bout Joe Kinnear!? lol

• NUFC_Richyg01

Oct 18, 2010 at 3:59 PM

What about Batty, Lee, Big Les (Ferdinand) ??

• Ericles

Oct 18, 2010 at 4:03 PM

Does this mean Calderwood has found a sense of direction at last? We have a number 2 in waiting = our own Beardo!

• Ericles

Oct 18, 2010 at 4:04 PM

Richygo1 – you can add Gary Speed to that list. Rather have Mourinho though (as no1).

• dave 1961

Oct 18, 2010 at 4:09 PM

players signed by Hughton, perch, best, Rutledge, Williamson, unfortunately I don’t rate any of them, Williamsons so overrated, time for sol now. I’m glad he’s not spending too much of my money, apart from the cost of 2 season tickets. I will be very surprised if Chris makes it to the end of the season, and I feel he has brought it on himself by his team selections. I have absolutely no expectations of him, I just hope he can turn this shambles around.

• Ericles

Oct 18, 2010 at 4:15 PM

dave 1961 has a point there – I do recognise CH’s coaching ability but still have doubts about his tactical sense. The looks on the face of Ashley are beginning to tell. We do have quality players in the squad but why are they not playing regularly. Sol is a case in point and I am sure Ranger and Ferguson could contribute more. Lovenkrands should play more and if it were up to me I would have LuaLua back asap cos I can see Carroll breaking rocks eventually.

• dave 1961

Oct 18, 2010 at 4:16 PM

with luck hell come back for perch

• G

Oct 18, 2010 at 4:18 PM

@ posts 27 / 28. Bit early to panic boys, yes CH has his faults, but one of the things I like about him is the fact that he generaly recognises them and learns from them. We are less than 10 games in the Prem, and we are outside of the bottom 3, so this is not the time to start calling for a change. Calling for a change has long been this clubs main fault. Give it until at least xmas, and even then, be reasonable, because regardless of the size of the stadium, we still have one of the weaker squads in the Prem. I would like to see us higher up the table, but indeed, I am more than comfortable with our current plight, and it isnt squeeky bum time just yet.

• BeeGuy

Oct 18, 2010 at 4:19 PM

dave 1961, I doubt Ch has much to do with signing players. He has a team to manage. I’m sure he tells MA & Co., what he would like, and maybe sits in on vetting possible players, but I bet it goes no farther than that.
    I think we have to keep in mind that the most of the recent signings were made to insure promotion. Now those men are being tested, and the next window will be their report card. (Though we all should have a good idea where help is needed.)

• dave 1961

Oct 18, 2010 at 4:25 PM

one thing I was pleased on Saturday no one turned on Hughton as we need to stick with him as we will not get any better, just hope he has a brain wave and keeps the team that finished on Saturday. we have to hold our nerve otherwise who could we get, we have to (as fans ) hold our nerve and leave it to Ashley, then we might attract someone who can handle the job. I have and will not stick the boot in. a large number of fans are starting to think down the same lines, we just have to remember loyalty has to go both ways. we need Chris to have the bottle to make changes.

• Monument Mal

Oct 18, 2010 at 5:14 PM

It’s not only Robert Martinez who has targetted Perch. almost every goal we have conceded this season has been from our right flank. The lad is trying hard but unfortunately he is just not good enough for this level of football.

• listie

Oct 18, 2010 at 5:24 PM

• G

Oct 18, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Just seen Wee Jimmy Crankie has left the Boro. I do hope he isn’t CC’s replacement?

• Thump

Oct 18, 2010 at 5:33 PM

Well… that’s certainly interesting.

• G

Oct 18, 2010 at 5:36 PM

I wonder if the club will appoint internally (Beardo?) or look outside for a new assistant? Given his record with Huddersfield, I wouldn’t mind Clarkie back at the club, but I doubt he would want to be a number 2 after tasting the number 1 spot?

• Thump

Oct 18, 2010 at 5:38 PM

Hang on, reckon we can palm Perchy off on Colin?

• G

Oct 18, 2010 at 5:39 PM

Dave 1961 suggested that earlier too Thump… lets face it, wer’e all thinking it! lol

• Thump

Oct 18, 2010 at 5:40 PM

I doubt Beardsley would be appointed as no. 2 – he’s just been made the reserve manager. I also doubt Lee Clark would move here under CH based entirely on the fact that he’s an up and coming manager.

That said, CH and CC have always seemed to be on a very even keel; I’ve always seen CC as more of a ‘co-manager’ than assistant. Kind of excited to see who’s next in line but I honestly can’t see it being anybody we’re happy with!