Campbell Injured, Nolan Fit And Good News On Harper

Just when it looked like Sol Campbell could be making his Premier League debut for Newcastle on Saturday, he has been ruled out of that game with a thigh injury.

Steve Harper – good news on Steve

There was a good chance that Sol could have made the starting line-up at West Ham on Saturday, but now he also has to be a doubt for the Carling Cup tie at St. James’ Park next Wednesday night, against his former club Arsenal.

Chris Hughton said today:

“Sol is struggling with a thigh injury and is out of West Ham, we are not sure he will be OK for Arsenal either but we are hopeful for Sunderland.”

Hughton also confirmed that Kevin Nolan is fully fit for the West Ham game on Saturday, after Chris gave him a rest for the Wigan game, and we expect Kevin to return to the starting line-up as Chris will again revert to a 4-5-1 formation.

And news that Steve Harper has seen his consultant on his shoulder injury, and everything seems to be coming along very nicley, as Hughton said:

“The timescale is four weeks but Steve is doing well.”

Steve was injured on 18th September at Everton so that’s just over four weeks ago, and he was scheduled to be out 12 weeks, but maybe this means he will be coming back sooner than the club initially expected.

We hope so.

• Suklowor

Oct 20, 2010 at 1:46 PM

I think is doesn’t important without Nolan, Campbell & Harp in line up..

We have strong enough squad in West Ham if Simpson in RB not Perch…!

• G

Oct 20, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Given the nature of his (Harper that is) injury, I can’t see him coming back into the team early, I can however see him starting to train properly again. I still reckon it will be 12 weeks or thereabouts overall.

• aDeadlyTicTac

Oct 20, 2010 at 1:53 PM

I think Krul has been a really good replacement. I reckon in the upcoming years he’s going to become one of the best in the premiership. Or is that me been deluded again?

• G

Oct 20, 2010 at 1:57 PM

@ post 3, thats probably a fair assesment of TK. Whislt still not the finished article, he has all the hallmarks of a future legend.

• Davies

Oct 20, 2010 at 2:03 PM

I’d say so too, though I can’t help but think that Harper would have stopped at least one of N’Zogbia’s shots on Saturday.

• NUFC_Richyg01

Oct 20, 2010 at 2:05 PM

************* Krul
    Simmo ** Willo ** Collo ** ElToro

Xisco *** Tiote ** Barton *** Jonas

******* Carroll ** Strolla

Subs:
    Soderberg, Perch, Raylor, Nolan, Guthrie, Ranger, McLoven

• NUFC_Richyg01

Oct 20, 2010 at 2:11 PM

CALDERWOOD WANTS NEWCASTLE PLAYERS TO JOIN HIM NORTH OF THE BORDER.

“Colin Calderwood is courting Alan Smith, James Perch and Shola Ameobi to join him in Scotland.”

Well, we can dream cant we!

• GeordieGerman

Oct 20, 2010 at 2:14 PM

NUFC_Richyg01, any truth in that or are you training to be a tabloid reporter?

• NUFC_Richyg01

Oct 20, 2010 at 2:16 PM

@ GeordieGerman // Oct 20, 2010 at 2:14 PM (8)

Thought the last line might indicate that it was pure fabrication on my part!

• GeordieGerman

Oct 20, 2010 at 2:27 PM

So you are practising.

• NUFC_Richyg01

Oct 20, 2010 at 2:41 PM

@ GeordieGerman // Oct 20, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Just trying to lighten the mood!

• Lynxie

Oct 20, 2010 at 3:09 PM

Ashley wont part with the money to pay Calderwood for taking ThickHeadClubFoot Perch off our hands. Against Insomnia on saturday he looked like someone had just spun him round ten times before every Wigan attack………..
    Just plain Hopeless, and the worst Right Back I have seen (including Malcolm Brown and Ryan Taylor ha ha ha)

• Masai

Oct 20, 2010 at 3:19 PM

NUFC_Richyg01 // Oct 20, 2010 at 2:41 PM

@ GeordieGerman // Oct 20, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Just trying to lighten the mood!

what, by continually slagging off our joint top scorer even though hes played alot less than AC, Shola is a fantastic loyal pro, so what if we are not blessed with the messi’s, robben’s or ronaldo’s of this world, but tell me the last time Ameobi was in the papers for the wrong reasons, shaming our great club, i mean think of all the controversy weve been through in the last 10 yrs and non of it really involved him, give him a break and dont forget, if he didnt injured last season , he would have been our top scorer then too.
    VIVA AMEOBI.

• john_cena163

Oct 20, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Masai- agree wit u on ameobi, I tink he is much beta dan AC.

• NUFC_Richyg01

Oct 20, 2010 at 3:59 PM

@ Masai // Oct 20, 2010 at 3:19 PM (13)

I believe Ranger offers much more than Strolla.

I cant stand the lad, never could. After all this time at the club he cant even hold down a regular starting place, now to me, that indicates that the manager also thinks he is not good enough.

@ john_cena163 // Oct 20, 2010 at 3:42 PM (14)

TYPE PROPERLY FFS! Text typing is so damn annoying

• GeordieGerman

Oct 20, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Masai, Who slagged Ameobi? Not me. I’m one of them who said yesterday that if it wasn’t for his injuries last season he would probably of beaten Carroll and his 17 goals. I just wish he would work a bit harder.

NUFC_Richyg01, The more starts Ameobi gets the more chance of injury, but playing him off the bench forces the away manager to rethink his tactics. But I do agree with your comment to john_cena163. I’m sick of reading like a Jamaican.

• Masai

Oct 20, 2010 at 5:24 PM

i also have never understood ameobi’, and im not on here saying he should be first choice, but he’s definately worth having at the club due to his loyalty and ability as he does offer alot especially from the bench. im just fed up of people always being on his back, he’s done alot for us, same as harper as and neither have ever really made a fuss to leave despite both knowing they were never first choice picks, yet they are usually the first two players that are always mentioned as players we need to move on. i think both are EPL standard without doubt.

and geordie german i was reposting richynufcs post from your conversation, not calling you out

• G

Oct 20, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Masai, some valid points about Shola there, for me he is a player who people will never fully understand. For what it’s worth here is my opinion, like you I admire his loyalty and lack of controversey, I think he has scored some of the most important goals in this clubs history, and also, he does indeed offer us a different option, as he is unlike any of the other forwards we have at this club. Now the down side, whilst he is a good trier, he is not a natural out and out goalscorer, an example of this can be seen when he tries to line up a shot he always takes one touch too many, which means he will never be an out and out finisher. I would love it if he was just that little bit more instinctive on the shot, however, I am more than happy with the service he gives us, and I am happy to see him continue.

• branunited

Oct 20, 2010 at 10:44 PM

the team will see a good football, unfortunately, for now no one specifying the chances we created, which are sometimes too many, I personally what worries me is andy carrol, which has five games without a goal, I hope no matter what last season, in this case with Ameobi who had scored four goals in two or three games and then off, I have great confidence in carroll and Lovenkrands, I would like Xisco had opportunities. someone else knows when Steven Taylor returns to play? or for when you leave your injury?

• darthkir