Hughton And Williamson Sing Praises of World-Class Colo

Newcastle defender Fabricio Coloccini was just determined to show he’s a Premier League class player this season,  and so far he looks just exactly that,  as his consistency so far has been superb.

Fab Coloccini – watch out – he’s just scored
Colo’s reaction after scoring the sensational equalizer last Saturday

The 28-year-old Argentina International had a mediocre season in his first PL season, after arriving from Deportivo la Coruna during the summer of 2008, with a huge £10.3M price-tag over his head.

But not only is the Argentine showing he may just be worth that fee, but he’s also become a massive favorite with the Newcastle fans, after his dedication to the Newcastle cause once the club was relegated last year.

Fab is probably now the official vice vice captain at the club, being third in line for the Newcastle captain’s armband, behind Kevin Nolan and Alan Smith, but since Alan doesn’t make the first team too much these days, since Cheick Tiote has arrived – Colo may wear the armband a few more times before the season is out.

And he seems to have fans among his team mates too, as central defensive partner Mike Williamson said today:

“He is one of the most laid-back players I have ever played with. His quality on the ball is just unbelievable.” “Playing alongside him is not difficult because he is a world-class player.”

“He has got everything in his game – he can head it, he can tackle, he can play. He has got the full package.”

And Chris Hughton has managed to get the very best out of Coloccini,  since he took over as manager of the Newcastle club almost 16 months ago, during which time the Argentine has been a massive player for Newcastle United in the center of defense.

Chris talked about his vice vice captain today:

“He is having a wonderful season so far. Last season, he was certainly one of our better players in a good season, and what he has been able to do is take that form into this season, and it has been important.”

“With Steven Taylor being injured and having brought Sol Campbell in and seen him miss the games he has missed through being injured and with Mike Williamson in his first season in the Premier League, Fabricio has been a vital player for us, and we hope that continues.”

“I am a great believer that if you are a player who works hard enough at your game, are confident enough about your own ability and try to do all the right things, you stand in good stead to improve yourself as a player.” “He has been arguably our most consistent player this season.”

We’ve often said how delighted we are with our two Argentine players in Colo and Jonas Gutierrez, and the Newcastle fans have taken to both players, not just because they are obviously top-class players, but they seem to be dedicated completely to the Newcastle club – and we just love to see that.

• bastie

Oct 22, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Anyone know anything about Enrique? rumours that hes got a suspected cruciate injury

• Flop

Oct 22, 2010 at 10:43 PM

I agree colo has been our most consistent player this season. Could do with a few players following his example

• Howay The Lads

Oct 22, 2010 at 11:11 PM

Joint best defender since Woodgate

• ganiyu

Oct 22, 2010 at 11:50 PM

Average players

• Thump

Oct 22, 2010 at 11:57 PM

Oh you’re back, ganiyu?

Do me a favour and go back to the hole you crawled out of before you start spamming here again.

• branunited

Oct 23, 2010 at 12:01 AM

reading news about football today, I found a story. (As at 5 pm in mexico night in England) I really like, says the psv eindhoven, confirmed that a renewed Ibrahim Afellay (I love), your card is valued at ten million euros, but could be sold at 8 million, I think it would be worth spending that money on a player with that capacity, and if no such amount, sell to someone, to try to buy Afellay think?, here is the link news

(the news is written in Spanish, try to translate it), note: Afellay contract ends in the summer of 2011, so that’s how transferable this winter.

• GeordieGerman

Oct 23, 2010 at 12:02 AM

ganiyu, Pratt… !

• Howay The Lads

Oct 23, 2010 at 12:08 AM

I’m afraid Afellay will probably sign for Arsenal. They tried to sign him in the summer but didn’t in the end.

I’d give them Best, Xisco and – get this – Lovenkrands, as well as the money, to get him though. He really is that good

• kevymartins

Oct 23, 2010 at 12:27 AM

we dont need any1 like afellay..look at are youth
    shane fergison
    nile ranger
    haris vukic
    krul
    lualua
    what we need is a better staff to produce the youth

• branunited

Oct 23, 2010 at 12:34 AM

Maybe I if you would bring, but even so, I would do to play the young, because in reality there are very talented and I am very pleased vuckic ferguson, I do not think we could use someone like Afellay, that is my thinking and respect very much your opinion.

• john_cena163

Oct 23, 2010 at 12:50 AM

Colo is a legand

• john_cena163

Oct 23, 2010 at 12:51 AM

Hope to win 5-0 2day. Cumon toon.(proud)

• Howay The Lads

Oct 23, 2010 at 1:09 AM

5-0!

I’d take 1-0 right now!

• balubas1

Oct 23, 2010 at 1:43 AM

lol… 5-0… no wonder us toons have a major crisis everytime we loose a game.. very ambitios group of people 🙂

Howay The Lads: agree.

• MacToon

Oct 23, 2010 at 2:15 AM

3 points vital. Score unimportant. Performance 2nd.3 points vital 😉

• baro

Oct 23, 2010 at 2:24 AM

LOL! 5-0 I wish it would happen vs West Ham today! By the way Ibrahim Affellay whoever mentioned is a terrific skillful playmaker. For a great player of his quality I would take anyday for 8 million euros!

• Howay The Lads

Oct 23, 2010 at 2:28 AM

FINALLY! An article where Louis Taylor actually doesn’t say anything properly anti-Newcastle!

And on that note, I’ll leave you.

• john_cena163

Oct 23, 2010 at 10:11 AM

Portsmouth FC on brink of liquidation, I feel sad 4 them lol

• ollynufc180

Oct 23, 2010 at 10:15 AM

coloccini is our best player imo and he leads by example and is a top pro

he was poor in his 1st season, but so were vidic and hangeland in their 1st years in the PL……………he reads the game so well, isnt as slow as people think and he has been winning plenty headers…………..as far as his ball play he is immense…………….dought theres a more composed and quality CB (on the ball) in the PL………..class act so far on and off the pitch 😉

• Rotonda heights

Oct 23, 2010 at 10:35 AM

kevymartins

thats where we have always fallen down.
    We have good youth players but not the technical coaching staff to bring them on like a Ten Cate or someone and we have a manager who will not give them a go unless he absolutely has to.

• ganiyu

Oct 23, 2010 at 11:46 AM

I hope we dont lose

• kevymartins

Oct 23, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Don’t hate me but in my opnion Ameobi is playing great atm.But nile is the best stricker we have and lualua would be better than wayne..i would seriozly recall kazenga.

• JakartaDean

Oct 23, 2010 at 1:09 PM

I guess I’m the only one who still doesn’t rate Colo these days. I like him on attach, and think he might be a credible midfielder, but he doesn’t defend well. He’s fine when the pressure isn’t very intense, but still this season he’s had several “deer in the headlights” episodes where he freezes due to indecision. Against ManU he was truly terrible. In our other losses he has only been awful. He even manages to make our other defenders look bad, as they don’t know what he’s going to do — of course they don’t because he doesn’t either. (I’m not talking about Perch, who would look bad playing for any team.) I just hope he gets rated well so we can trade him profitably, I’m afraid.

Now, on to the game!