Hughton May Stick With Perch Tomorrow

Chris Hughotn has today said he has to be totally convinced that right back Danny Simpson is 100% fit, or else he will not play him tomnorrow at West Ham.

Danny Simpson – first start tomorrow in London?

After James Perch had just an awful game last week against Wigan and Charles N’Zogbia,  it had been widely expected that Danny would be brought into the starting eleven, after recovering from his long term ankle injury.

That was especially true after Danny had another 70 minutes of impressive play for the Reserves last Tuesday afternoon, when they easily beat Bolton 4-1 at Benton.

The last time Simpson played for the first team was the last game of  last season in the 1-0 win at Queens Park Rangers, but he played then on a “slightly” injured ankle.

Danny has now paid the full price of doing that, with five months out on the sidelines, when the injury turned out to be a lot worse than the Newcastle medics had first thought – but he seems fit to go now.

Chris Hughton told the Evening Chronicle today:

“That’s a decision I have to make.” “He’s come through almost three reserve games, but what I’m also conscious of is that he’s missed a lot of football.”“This is somebody who, in effect, has had to do a pre-season later – that I’m conscious of.”

“There’s nobody that will have worked harder than Danny to get to a level of fitness, but there’s a difference between a level of fitness, and actual match play.” “It’s a decision for me to make, but the most important thing is that he has put himself in contention.”

We still think that Danny will be preferred to James Perch at right back, and he’ll  be in our side, when we come out with our match preview later today.

We also expect Chris to play his usual 4-5-1 formation away from home, so a place for either Ameobi or Carroll up front tomorrow – and wer’re going for Shola to start the game.

• Toon XI

Oct 22, 2010 at 1:17 PM

I have to agree that CH will start Shola over Carroll after this week’s events.

Playing Perch in lieu of Simpson or Raylor this weekend will bring additional pressure upon CH if NUFC lose the match.

• NUFC_Richyg01

Oct 22, 2010 at 1:19 PM

I think he will stick with Perch if Guth is not playing infront of him.

But I can see him playing Simpson with Guth infront of him.

I think Rout and Simpson down the right would give us a lot of pace and we wouldnt need to rely on Rout supporting Simpson as much as he needs to Perch.

• BeeGuy

Oct 22, 2010 at 1:20 PM

CH played Danny last year despoite the lad needing surgery. It seems CH has left Nolan on after being hurt, and I think Barton has been playing hurt while under CH’s eye. So not playing Simpson means he is still too hobbled to go, or CH is worried Danny will re-injure himself, CH not confident to make the change or (God forbid) Perch is the best RB on the squad.

• NUFC_Richyg01

Oct 22, 2010 at 1:21 PM

I can see Hoots picking:

************* Krul
    Simmo ** Willo ** Collo ** ElToro

************* Tiote
    Rout ******** Barton ****** Jonas

************* Nolan
    ************ Carroll

Subs:

Soderberg, Perch, Smith, Guthrie, Strolla, McLoven, Ranger

• Brutooon

Oct 22, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Perch is total crap

Give ryan taylor a chance at the premierleague at RB!

• Davies

Oct 22, 2010 at 1:35 PM

We’ve all said before that RTaylor isn’t good enough at RB. I’m not sure he’s the answer, but it has to be worth a try. Just hope people don’t start getting on his back if he plays and has a sh1t game.

• peterktoon

Oct 22, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Lets try R Taylor on the right wing if Chris H insist on using Perch.
    R Taylor can cross the ball and maybe even score some goals.
    Guthrie just dosn’t cut it on the wing and I think Routledge has struggled so far.

• Lynxie

Oct 22, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Peterktoon, I agree about Guthrie, but for me its about playing people in their favoured positions, not reverting to the Sounness plan of square peg/round hole. Routledge is an attacking right wide player, Guthrie is a middle of the park midfielder. No brainer Im afraid.
    Wingers = supply.
    Supply = Chances.
    Chances + able striker = goals.
    …..And what do goals make ? (insert Bruce Fosyth impression here) !!
    I rest my case. West Ham are pants and we should attack the living daylights out of them, give us some breathing space.

KEEP THE FAITH!!

• Brutooon

Oct 22, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Raylor – premierleague player

Perch spend his whole career at cc

If players dont perform drop him, even players like ronaldinho use to be dropped if not in form

CH get some balls and dropped perch

• sweendog

Oct 22, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Lynxie .. exactly no square pegs and we can win this one..

• sweendog

Oct 22, 2010 at 2:28 PM

as for this topic .. gotta be simpson..

• Toonboy_84

Oct 22, 2010 at 7:11 PM

I hope CH gives Simmo a start. Lets face it. He CANNOT be any worse than Perch. Perch in the EPL is like a fish out of water. Get it………….Ha ha

I’ll get my coat!

• chuck

Oct 22, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Hey whats the point of arguing whether, Perch, Raylor or Simpson is the better player ?
    Fact is all three are pants, dump them and sign a decent RB, cause non of them will ever improve to where they are EPL standard.
    We got our DM in Tiote and our AM in Ben Arfa,
    Now sign Taylor and a right back(love to have young Coleman @ Everton.)
    In the window a decent bid for Krajncar, a winger to replace Routledge, who shows flashes of skill, but has no consistency and does`nt track back.
    Sooner or later if we are to compete we will have to spend, we are not always going to find, Tiote`s and BA`s for peanuts.
    It`s a catch 22# if you sign a free agent, he expects a bigger contract and could cost more in the long run.
    I can foresee the end of the transfer system as top players (not unlike Rooney) will simply run out their contracts, or threaten to do so as a bargaining ploy.
    My point is , with the introduction into the equation of agents, there`s no way you can operate a EPL side on the cheap.
    Certainly not if you are looking to build a competitive side and that`s a fact !

• baro

Oct 22, 2010 at 8:51 PM

I hope Perch is dropped immediately! That guy plays and we will automatically loose the game no question about it! Simpson is much better than him and Ryan Taylor is the best out of them 3

• Rowan Milsted

Oct 22, 2010 at 9:12 PM

Perch needs more time to develop, he’s potentially a good RB but it’s plain to see he’s struggling to adapt to PL standards, and it’s been costly for us. I wouldn’t sell him, I’d try to develop him, but he can’t be starting for us week in week out because the sad fact is he’s just not good enough.

There’s no way I agree that all 3 of our RB’s are pants though!

• Brutooon

Oct 23, 2010 at 12:45 AM

Last Season:

Simpson play for the champion of championship

Perch play for Nottingham which is still at the cc

• shamadz72

Oct 23, 2010 at 2:06 AM

I always started to have a butterfly in my stomach everytime I see Perch name in the lines up.

It is time CH realized that Perch is a liability to the team at the moment. Perhaps a few more months with the reserved team will help him to gain more experience.

I would rather play with 10 man rather than have Perch in our team at the moment. He is just not ready for PL. Period..

• Brutooon

Oct 23, 2010 at 2:54 AM

shamadz72 – i agreed with you mate, i rather play our under 18 (even under 15) RB over Perch

5 yellow cards