The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Our Hearts Go Out To Portsmouth Fans

11:44 am, Saturday, October 23rd, 2010 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 14 Comments

It was really bad news for football when it was announced yesterday that Portsmouth Football Club may go out of existence soon.

There has been some late disagreement between the Administrator Andrew Andronikou and one major creditor Alexandre Gaydamak,  and the statement said that the future of Portsmouth FC is now in jeopardy.

Portsmouth were founded way back in 1898, and the statement issued yesterday said that Gaydamak had demanded a large up-front payment, if the club was to exit administration, and since Pompey don’t  seem to have that money, it has put their future in danger.

We all know how some clubs in the last several years have been run with a kamikaze like attitude to financial management, and there’s something not right about millionaires buying clubs, simply to make money out of them,  and the recent antics by Liverpool’s former owner Tom Hicks seemed to give human beings a bad name, because of his complete greed.

But we feel sorry for the Pompey fans, who let’s face it are just terrific, and they just love their football club and Portsmouth is very like Newcastle – because in the local community the club has a huge influence on the town – it is the town.

We hope this can all be sorted out, but the sooner UEFA Present Michel Platini brings in his new financial fair play measures – the safer a lot of clubs will be, if only because they are literally forced into being financially sensible.

Portsmouth have been Champions of England twice, in the successive years of 1949 and 1950, and have won the FA Cup twice, most recently in 2008, beating Cardiff City 1–0.

To get an idea how Portsmouth fans must be feeling right now – just imagine if Newcastle United FC were to go out of existence.

You see what we mean.

Tags: Newcastle News · Other News

14 responses so far ↓

• 1 Rotonda heights // Oct 23, 2010 at 12:01 PM

i know a pompey fan and he gave me nothing but grief in our relegation season. karma is a wonderful thing.

• 2 Rotonda heights // Oct 23, 2010 at 12:04 PM

i lived in portsmouth. yeah ok reasonable supporters but their passion is nothing like ours in a million years. in toon it is what everyone talks about. no way is football the be all and end all in portsmouth.

• 3 exgaffer // Oct 23, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Rotonda, I’m a Pompey fan and have been for 50 years, all my family are Pompey fans, most of my friends are Pompey fans. We will be DEVASTATED if Pompey cease to exist and to suggest that we are not passionate is mean spirited at best. I’ve been to Newcastle many times and I have a lot of respect for your great fans but to suggest that you are more passionate just because you turn up in greater numbers is rubbish. Football fans always give each other grief, it’s called banter and if you think a bit of gloating over a small thing like relegation equates to your football club ceasing to exist you don’t understand the nature of the game. I wish all the REAL Toon fans nothing but the best and hope that we are still around to play you at St James’ and Fratton in the future. The atmosphere at Pompey v Toon games is always something very special.

• 4 CT // Oct 23, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Don`t care, any club touched by uncle dell boy arry deserves their fate! Don`t see him rushing to help!!

• 5 ganiyu // Oct 23, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Auctioning the club isnt possible right?

• 6 exgaffer // Oct 23, 2010 at 12:29 PM

CT, your views on Bagpuss are shared in Pompey I can assure you, though we don’t see why we should be liquidated because of our association with him. The irony is that he was granted the freedom of the city in 2008, I don’t think he’ll be trying to claim his rights any time soon.

• 7 CT // Oct 23, 2010 at 12:42 PM

Platini`s financial fair play measures is obviously a huge step in the right direction BUT expenditure is linked to income, not profit! In other words £5o mill in takings means £50 mill can be spent?? Yes, it helps but nothing left to reduce existing debt, clubs could still go bust!!
    exgaffer, Don`t want to see Pompey go purely for supporters sake, but this was an accident waiting to happen! Christ arry turned us down, feel sick just thinking about it! Lucky escape I say!!!

• 8 jimiley // Oct 23, 2010 at 12:44 PM

I hope Pompey’s plight is NO justification for keeping the fat man. I hope nobody will say Ashley is doing a good job. Stack em high and sell em cheap. He is slowly strangling the life out of the club. Hughton is doing the best he can with next to no support from Cashley. I hope nobody says we have had a good start to the season. 5th bottom after three easy home games when we took one point worries the hell out of me. Is 5th bottom good because we expected to be bottom? I don’t think so.

• 9 john_cena163 // Oct 23, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Man city wl join pompey soon.

• 10 exgaffer // Oct 23, 2010 at 12:59 PM

JIMILEY, Pompey fans would LOVE it if all they had to worry about was being 5th bottom of the league. If you had to worry about extinction it might make you a bit more sympathetic to the plight of others. Anyway I’ll leave you to debate where you are in the league and go back to praying for the existence of my beloved club. Cheers.

• 11 baro // Oct 23, 2010 at 3:08 PM

I just love that we have Mike Ashley who knows business very well as we all know and are really sure of. Him and Hughton are doing an excellent job running this Newcastle United team. For most I just hope we are successfully running into the right direction.

• 12 Rotonda heights // Oct 23, 2010 at 3:42 PM

exgafferr

all I’m saying is that we as a people in the city, NUFC is our whole life. We are not just talking Saturday afternoons, we are mentally fanatical to the point of talking each other’s ears off about NUFC and nothing else, everywhere you go.

In the navy I used to go and watch pompey every home match and have got a soft spot for them. But the guy who gave me nothing but grief when we were relegated wouldn’t give a monkeys if we were in the same boat.

• 13 exgaffer // Oct 23, 2010 at 4:07 PM

Rotonda, all I can say is that the guy must be a cretin and not a football fan. I most certainly WOULD give a monkey’s if Newcastle (or any other club for that matter) were threatened. Football clubs are part of our history and the fabric of England, we are all diminished if they cease to exist. As to your points about the club being your whole life, the same is true for us I can assure you. As I said before, there may be more of you doing it but to the real fan of any club it fills their every waking hour. You have great fans, no question, and they are not plastic ones like most of the Man U and Liverpool fans but you shouldn’t assume that you are the greatest. I’ve been at St James’ when the team hasn’t been playing well and the fans gave the team a lot of stick. That doesn’t happen at Fratton these days, as long as the team is trying they get only support. Anyway the news from Fratton looks a bit brighter so hopefully we’ll be playing you again in the not too distant future. Howay the lads and all that.

• 14 Rowan Milsted // Oct 23, 2010 at 4:54 PM

Respect Ed for posting this even though it’s not strictly about NUFC; as exgaffer rightly points out all football clubs are part of the footballing community and I don’t wish extinction on anyone. Football clubs should thrive or fail as a result of how they perform on the pitch, not as a result of how crooked or stupid their managers or owners are. If Newcastle were facing liquidation I’d be looking for the nearset river. I’m not entering into an ‘our fans are better than your fans’ debate because it’s ridiculous and that’s not even the point. Our fans are amazing, Pompey’s fans are also some of the best, but individuals are different and what a club means to an individual varies from person to person, so exgaffer may well be just as gutted about Pompey as I would be if Newcastle were in their predicament.

Also, fans don’t chose who their managers or owners are, but the fans do suffer if those people do not carry out their jobs with decency and responsibility. It’s not Pompey fan’s fault that Harry was at the club, so why throw it in their faces?

I hope Pompey stay afloat and continue to exist. Things are looking slightly brighter now but I’m sure the fans won’t be celebrating just yet…

previous post: Guthrie Desperate To Prove He’s Good Enough At Newcastle