Hughton To Field Strong Side Against Arsenal

Chris Hughton will play a strong side at home on Wednesday night against Arsenal, and it will be a team that also contains some fringe players at the club.

Ryan Taylor – will get rare chance against Arsenal

If Newcastle win on Wednesday night against the Gunners,  they will have eliminated two top teams in Chelsea and Arsenal, and would be in the last eight of the competition, and have every reason to believe they can go all the way to Wembley – so it’s an important game on Wednesday night.

Hughton has said he will make some changes form the side that produced that great win yesterday at Upton Park:

“My thoughts at this moment are to go down the road of making changes from the team that played at West Ham,”   “How many changes I’ll make, we’ll see. I may not make as many as I did for the last two rounds but I’ll be making changes.”

“It is a big test for us, I know that. Whatever team that Arsenal put out in this cup competition it will always be a difficult game.”  “At times they might not have had the senior names, but they play in a way that makes it very difficult for anyone who comes up against them.”

“In some ways they play without any fear because they know the pressure is not on them to go through. But whatever side they put out, they’ll be tough.” “It is a difficult balance. The most important area of our development is in the league,” “Making sure we stay in the top division is the most important. That is where the priority has to be at the moment.”

“But I know we’re at home and of course with every game you’re getting closer to Wembley. The Premier League is still the main focus – that’s my judgement.”

We expect Shane Ferguson, Alan Smith, Nile Ranger, Haris Vuckic, Ryan Taylor and – if fit – Sol Campbell,  to all be in the starting line-up against the Gunners.

This is the type of team we think Chris could start on Wednesday:

Krul
Perch Coloccini Campbell Ferguson
Ranger Vuckic Smith (c) Gutierrez
Ameobi Lovenkrands

Chris may even try to give players like Routledge a full game, but Nile Ranger, Shane Ferguson and Haris Vuckic we think will all be given a start, after their heroics at Stamford Bridge, so they can continue to show what they can do for Newcastle, as the youngsters continue to improve nicely on Tyneside.

But the Premier League remains the number one priority for Newcastle this season, and staying in  England’s top flight.

• GeordieGerman

Oct 24, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Would be nice to get a trophy, but staying up is the priority.

Oh yeah, anyone know why Chris war all dressed up yesterday?

• Bucks mag

Oct 24, 2010 at 2:26 PM

GG – no idea, preferred his usual home combo though. What am I saying?

I personally think we need Jonas to be the player to step up in the absence of Ben Arfa – for that reason I would rest him against Arsenal. My lineup would be:

Krul

R Taylor Coloccini Campbell Ferguson

Routledge Smith Vuckic Lovenkrands

Ameobi Ranger

Btw Ed, you said R Taylor to start and then left him out of your team lol

• toonchip

Oct 24, 2010 at 2:47 PM

If Campbell isnt going to be ready for this game then I would try taviner in CB to play along side colo.

• branunited

Oct 24, 2010 at 2:53 PM

Ryan Taylor is a very good player, but unfortunately in most of the time we wasted, not to give more playing time and only use it in meetings of carling, is one of the best players we have, at least in the defense I think the best thing for ryan would leave the club, of course, does not receive minutes in Premier or in all competitions.

• lloydie780

Oct 24, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Tamas Kadar needs a start too, anyone agree?

• GeordieToon89

Oct 24, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Ryan Taylor is not one of the best players at the club :s what on earth makes u think that lol if he was that good he would be playing regular but he cant defend hes too weak, he is better than perch yes but he is defo not one of the best.. he has one hell of a delivery which that reason alone i would be playing him more but well if all he can do is cross you cant play him as we need more all round players if we are to survive we cant have weak links especially defence

• GeordieToon89

Oct 24, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Colo and Kadar in the centre for me..
    Taylor..Colo..Kadar..Ferguson

• HamarMagpie

Oct 24, 2010 at 6:00 PM

Not so sure about your lineup, Ed? Why would Houghton not give Guthrie and Routledge run outs? I see them as sure starters.

Not easy to predict, but I guess he will field these players in a 4-4-1-1:

Krul
    Perch – Colo/Williamson – Kadar – Enrique/Ferguson
    Routledge – Guthrie – Smith – Ranger
    Vuckic
    Løvenkrands/Ameobi

• HamarMagpie

Oct 24, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Ohh, forgot Ryan Taylor. He’ll probably play on one of the wings. He’s marking and position play is shocking, and that’s is rightly so, why he isn’t considered as a Premiership full back.

• jamiemt

Oct 24, 2010 at 8:38 PM

Krul
    Perch Kadar Williamson Ferguson
    R.Taylor Guthrie Smith (c) Routledge
    Ranger Ameobi

• Brutooon

Oct 25, 2010 at 6:10 AM

i go for

Krul

Simpson (for match fitness)
    Kadar
    Campbell (If not Tavernier)
    Shane Ferguson

Routledge
    Guthrie
    Smith
    Lovenkrands

Vuckic (Supporting Striker)
    Ranger

• Brutooon

Oct 25, 2010 at 6:11 AM

Ops i forget ryan taylor,

Routledge
    Guthrie
    Vuckic
    Taylor (Left)

Lovenkrands
    Ranger

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Oct 25, 2010 at 6:44 AM

If we play Perch in defence we will be crucified!

Our back four should be:

Ryan Collo SOL Enrique

If SOL is,nt fit, then Simpson in his place:

Simpson Collo Ryan Enrique

I think Arsenal are gonna be up for it, so it will be surprising if we win. Our home form is crap at the moment!

• Ericles

Oct 25, 2010 at 9:26 AM

Strongest team possible has to play. Arse and All will possibly run out a weakened side so we must go for it. A cup run would be great if we can knock out Wenger’s lot. By the way – Wenger’s reserve players are also quality so we have to play our best. Common sense has to take precedence over blooding youngsters. Have them on the bench and give them a go once we are 2-0 up!!!!!

• Davies

Oct 25, 2010 at 9:38 AM

Not sure Hughton will risk Enrique and it’s another good opportunity for young Fergie to get some competitive minutes. I hope so anyway, as I’d really like to see him again. He was fantastic against Chelsea.

I don’t think Perch is quite ready for a game like this. He makes mistakes when the pressure is on, but when it’s off, he becomes a little lazy. I know RTaylor isn’t going to set the world alight as a right back and Routelidge is quicker on the wings, but I think Taylor has earned his chance in this competition, having performed the way he has so far.

The funny thing is, and it’s been a long time since I was able to say this, but I really don’t mind who Hughton puts out on the field, such is the quality and depth of our squad.

Nice.

• Ericles

Oct 25, 2010 at 9:45 AM

I also would like to see Ferguson start with Enrique on the bench as back-up. We must keep on with Carroll and have Lovenkrands alongside him to start. Also keep Simpson in the team as I am not sure Perch is really ready for regular first team duty. Barton on the wing worked as well on Saturday even though he voiced a preference for the middle. Nolan behind a front two as well. We need to win this one lads – a big scalp to take from the one-time Brylcream boys!

• ryannorm

Oct 25, 2010 at 9:54 AM

if i was CH, then i’d try and play the best team possible, my team would be :

KRUL

R.TAYLOR COLO (c) KADAR FERGUSON

SMITH

ROUTLEDGE GUTHRIE VUCKIC

RANGER
    AMEOBI

• Sav

Oct 26, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Worried about Tavernier and Kadar up against Bendtner and Walcott.