Warren Barton – Andy Carroll Is Still Too Naive

Former Newcastle player Warren Barton now analyses games in the studio  for the Fox Soccer Channel in the US,  and he said on Saturday night that he knew Andy Carroll, but that the youngster was still naive.

Warren Barton – Fox Soccer Channel pundit in the US

Warren talked a little bit about Andy’s altercation of last Sunday, and that Andy should get his head down from now on and concentrate on what he does best, and that is putting the ball in the back of the net as Newcastle United’s new number nine. Warren explained how the number nine shirt was revered on Tyneside, with the many great players of the past like Jackie Milburn, Malcolm MacDonald and Alan Shearer having worn the shirt.

Warren of course is a big Newcastle fan, having played for the club when Kevin Keegan and Bobby Robson were the managers, when we had a more than decent  side, and he always comes across as a great ambassador for the club, with very positive comments about Newcastle and their supporters – last weekend was no different.

Warren does think Newcastle will do no better than mid-table this season, and will probably finish lower than that,  but he lauds the job that Chris Hughton has done since he took over the club, when it was on its knees 16 months ago.

And in a remarkably short trial  at the Newcastle Crown Court today,  the case against Andy from last December was closed out, and Andy was fined £1,000 and had court costs of around  £1500 to pay.

That was after Carroll agreed to plead guilty to the lesser charge of assault, in the Blu Bambu night club last December 7th.

And it seems also that Chris Hughton was very pleased with today’s verdict, as he said today:

“We are all delighted with today, but what everybody wants to do is just get back to watching him do what he does best, as he did at West Ham.” “He is still a young lad and he is still a young lad who has improvements in his game to make.”

“We are conscious of not building him into something he isn’t at the moment.” “But he has wonderful potential and he is a young lad who is playing regularly now in the Premier League and if you are able to do that, you are able to make progress.”

Hughton will rest Carroll on Wednesday night,  so he is fit and ready to go against the old enemy Sunderland on Sunday afternoon, when we hope the lads can record their first back-to-back league wins of the season.

And Chris is very happy to have captain Kevin Nolan look after the 21 year-old for the next three months, which could be the very best thing for Andy, as he gets a taste for a settled family life with Kevin and his wife Hayley.

They have two children – their daughter is about to turn four next month, and the son is just 9 months old, so they will be quite a handful right now for the young couple.

Chris added:

“Kevin looks after him very well. I think he arranges his supper at the right time and makes sure he is tucked up in very good time to get a full night’s sleep.”

“If the two of them can continue to score the goals and put in the performances they did on Saturday, then I am quite happy with the arrangement.”

We all hope that Andy will grow up quickly,  and put these altercations behind him, so that he can concentrate on playing for the famous Newcastle United Football club and wear that number 9 shirt with the great pride it deserves.

• tom tomb

Oct 25, 2010 at 11:28 PM

Wazza wazza, were you not 40 when you nicked the taxi!

• lborotoon

Oct 25, 2010 at 11:48 PM

hey guys, come on every day but dont often post. Im pretty sure this hasnt been posted before but if it has, just ignore it! came accross this interview with our new kid yven moyo, seems like ben arfa was a big draw for him to come.

FM: Yven, why to have left Sochaux to join Newcastle?
    Yven Moyo: I had to start from Sochaux because they were not rather respectful in my connection, I estimated that I deserved to sign my first contract pro, an opinion that did not seem to divide Sochaux. From there, my departure was inescapable.
    FM: Describe to us your style of play.
    YM: I am an offensive medium which can evolve/move as well on the left as on the right, I like dribbler, to cause, make the difference. I can be decisive and mark goals, a profile in the Ben Arfa.
    FM: Aren’t you afraid to have succumbed too early to the sirens of England?
    YM: Not I am not afraid it is a very good challenge for me, I had this chance thanks to god to be able to join Newcastle. I do not have anything to lose and very to gain.
    FM: Before joining Magpies, did you have other proposals?
    YM: No the direct proposal, but one will say I were in contact with Manchester City. But there is two years it is Manchester United which wanted to take to me whereas I was at the training centre of Sochaux, but there were circumstances which made that was not further.
    FM: Did you meet your future coach and T it has you assured as for your time of play?
    YM: Yes, of course, it is him which recruited me. But if I meet almost every day Chris Hughton, we did not really still speak about my situation. I have just arrived, I am not pressed, I am there to learn.
    FM: Did the presence of Hatem Ben Arfa influence your choice?
    YM: Of course that the presence of Hatem was dominating. For all to say to you, I am a true fan of Ben Arfa. For me, this player is an example and I would like to make the same career as him.
    FM: What do you think of the attack of Jong?
    YM: I am revolted by such a gesture! I was at the stage Saturday with the cousin of Hatem and we were upset. We immediately went to the hospital to support it and we tried to make good figure in front of him because in fact things make party of the risks of the trade of footballer. But Hatem is a leaf, it will return even stronger.

thats obviously a rough translation, original link is http://www.footmercato.net/premier-league/yven-moyo-j-aimerais-faire-la-meme-carriere-que-ben-arfa_56289

• GeordieGerman

Oct 26, 2010 at 12:11 AM

Think we only want one thing and that is that Andy doesn’t become a Gascoigne.

• Howay The Lads

Oct 26, 2010 at 12:15 AM

Good one, Tom Tomb 😉

Nice interview, lboro. He sounds like a decent player, what with Man U & City apparently sniffing around him. Obviously it doesn’t mean they WERE interested, but it must be in the realms of possibility if there were a few rumours about it.

Maybe he, as we as LuaLua could help us this season. Or at least get some time on the pitch in the early stages of the F.A. Cup etc

• CT

Oct 26, 2010 at 12:56 AM

Latest news, Gazza with Joey decided to help Andy with babysittin at Kev`s provided they can borrow his car??

Anyone still undecided that Hoot`s the man, stay away, CH saved us kids, we`ll be ok! give him time!!! He`s learning, but he has the makings, and he has empathy with the players, n us!!!

• ksmit

Oct 26, 2010 at 1:04 AM

Chris added:

I’m assuming that this is about Andy then? Must make sure he’s comfy too…..

• toon_auz

Oct 26, 2010 at 8:12 AM

—————-Krul——————
    Perch—-Collo–Kadar—- Fergo
    Rout—Guthrie—Smith—Xisco
    ——Vuckic–Lovenkrands——

I love inventing these cup lineups, so many options

• perch

Oct 26, 2010 at 9:03 AM

Howay The Lads // Oct 26, 2010 at 12:18 AM

perch, he has been charged I believe. Up in court in January to plead his innocence for the girlfriend incident.

No need to get so touchy. I’ll forgive you because you’re clearly not very old – or bright, for that matter<<<< well i think your the 1 that isint very bright , hes been bailed too go back too the police station in jan get your facts right yeah you prick

• NUFC_Richyg01

Oct 26, 2010 at 10:33 AM

@ toon_auz // Oct 26, 2010 at 8:12 AM

Good lineup, but maybe…

————–—-Krul——————
    Raylor—-Collo–Kadar—- Fergo
    Rout—Guthrie—Smith—Xisco
    ———Ranger–Strolla——

• munch27

Oct 26, 2010 at 10:48 AM

richy good team i would like too see danny simpson get more playing time as he changed the dynamic of the team on saturday.

• BeeGuy

Oct 26, 2010 at 5:04 PM

Richygo1, Good line-up. I think Strolla does his best work when not under pressure. Since no one favors NUFC chances vs. the Gunners, he may well shine. But, hard to see CH using his # 2 striker in a game where little hope for advancement.

BTW, Portsmouth made it to the FA cup final last year, but they still went down.