Hughton Ponders What Formation To Play Against Sunderland

Sunderland do not have a good away record in the league this season, and have drawn three of their 4 away games and lost the other one.

Chris Hughton – pondering what formation to play

Burt surprisingly the Sunderland defense has conceded only 7 goals,  but there again they have only scored 8 goals, so they have a goal difference the same as that of Newcastle of +1.

Newcastle have both scored and conceded more goals than Sunderland with 14 goals scored and 13 goals conceded.

There’s no doubt Chris Hughton would love to get Newcastle’s second home win of the season on Sunday, as he said today:

“We’ve done very well away from home,  but we need to address our home form. I’m aware of that,” “This is the ideal game for us to start picking up those points.”

We would expect Newcastle to play an attacking 4-4-2 against Sunderland, but you never know with Chris, and he creates his game plan specifically for the opposition. But we’d be a little surprised if he changes the team at all form that which beat West Ham 2-1 last Saturday.

Having Carroll and Ameobi, both local lads up front, to start the game, they could surely play havoc with the Sunderland defense. Well we certainly hope so, and Shola  has had many good games against the old enemy.

18 year-old Haris Vuckic could have earned a place on the bench for Sunday’s game  after being the star man for Newcastle against Arsenal, and the Slovenian seems motivated to press on at Newcastle, as he talked this morning:

“There is definitely motivation for me now in training this week,” “I am very excited about the game. My first weekend here after signing I watched the Newcastle-Sunderland game, it finished 1-1 with Shola scoring for us.”

“It is a huge game, I’m excited about it and want to play a part.” “If I’m involved it will be great for me. If I get a chance it will be a brilliant opportunity – I will do everything in my power to make it happen.”

The 18 year-old has shown in his Carling Cup performances that he could be the next youngster to break through into the first team, and he looked a strong central midfield player on Wednesday against one of the best teams in the land.

That cannot be bad.

• Bucks mag

Oct 29, 2010 at 12:10 PM

I think Jonas will be the key for us – sorry to quote John Terry but I feel he’s the only one who can unlock a defence for us.

Wouldn’t surprise me if Shola scored against them either – as you said Ed, he has a good record against them.

• micknick

Oct 29, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Doesn’t really matter what he plays does it. Humiliating home defeat and sacking of the manager is on the cards. Bring back Dennis Wise.

• toonpigeon

Oct 29, 2010 at 12:40 PM

i think if hughton goes with the team that he put out against west ham we may just sneak the match from the mackems.

• micknick

Oct 29, 2010 at 12:46 PM

I really believe it will be about 5-1 to Sunderland. The quality of player in all aspects of the team will just be too much.

• john_cena163

Oct 29, 2010 at 12:50 PM

Ameobi wl score for sure.

• toonoholic

Oct 29, 2010 at 12:53 PM

bambi to bag one and my money on routledge

• shamadz72

Oct 29, 2010 at 1:01 PM

Just leave Perch out of your selection and everything will be fine 🙂

• Richy_c90

Oct 29, 2010 at 1:51 PM

micknick, have you not got better things to do?

Well up for this game, Barton and Tiote should keep Cattermole and Henderson quiet, if we can do that we’ll be fine

• NUFC_Richyg01

Oct 29, 2010 at 2:07 PM

My Team to face the unwashed…

*********** Krul
    Simo ** Collo ** Willo ** ElToro

*********** Tiote
    Barton **** Nolan ****** Jonas

******* Carroll * Strolla

subs:
    Soderberg, Perch, Rout, Guth, Smith, Ranger, McLoven

• Brutooon

Oct 29, 2010 at 2:13 PM

shamadz72 : agreed with you mate, no perch = automatic win

think vuckic will come on the second half and score within seconds (like chopra)

• micknick

Oct 29, 2010 at 2:35 PM

We have to be realistic and realise that Sunderland are by far the classier side in every position on the pitch. From Bent and Gyan, through Cattermole and Elmohamady all the way back to Bramble and Turner. Newcastle just have nothing to compeair in any area of the pitch. Even the Sunderland bench is like a whose who of the world cup, Riveros, Mensah, Da Silva can’t even get a game. At best Newcastle may hang on for a draw.

• Jarra

Oct 29, 2010 at 2:53 PM

It saddens me to say, but I don’t see either team scoring in a very tight fougt out battle in midfield.
    I honestly believe the same team that played against West Ham is our best hope, but the problem I see is how we will break down a very well organised Sunderland defence.
    I hope I am wrong and we score but I think we are quite predictable in our tactics.
    Possible best chance of a goal from us is either down the left flank or set play.
    Please prove me wrong lads and have a blinder.

• NUFC_Richyg01

Oct 29, 2010 at 3:08 PM

@ micknick // Oct 29, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Who are you Mick McCarthy?

• micknick

Oct 29, 2010 at 3:24 PM

Not at all, but I can recognise the difference between a club with- a good owner and chairman, excellent infrastructure, a good young team of talented players and a commitment to their fans- and Newcastle United.

• stestickle

Oct 29, 2010 at 4:01 PM

micknick if theres such an big gap in quality why is there only 1 point between the two teams you have to be a scabby dirty mackam

• micknick

Oct 29, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Yoy have to look at the quality of opposition that both teams have played over the last couple of weeks. While Sunderland have gained good draws against Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal Newcastle have struggled against teams like Stoke, Blackpool, and Wolves (and Accrington Stanley). I think most Newcastle fans would agree with my last comment Newcastle have a rubbish owner and chairman who has ruined the infrastructure of the club and has no commitment to the fans.

• chrisf30

Oct 29, 2010 at 4:50 PM

I’ve scribbled some pre-derby nervous thoughts. http://bit.ly/baFzQD

• neeraj

Oct 29, 2010 at 6:24 PM

micknick:

for all your blah blah….

You have a self exploding Dynamite and we call him Titus Bramble…..