Jonathan Legear Believes Newcastle Are Interested In Him

We had reported last month that Newcastle may be interested in Anderlecht’s  23 year-old Belgium winger  Jonathan Legear, who can also play up front as a striker.

Jonathan Legear – Newcastle  have contacted my agente

And the player himself has said today that Newcastle United have indeed expressed an interest in signing him.

Legear claims that Newcastle have already contacted his agent, about a possible move to Tynesdie, and Jonathan  told La Derniere Heure today:

“Newcastle has contacted my agent to let him know they are interested in me,””I need to prove again and show if I have the level to play in the Premier League.”

The reports suggest the player is not getting carried away with the speculation surrounding him, and that’s good, but we’re also sure that Newcastle would have preferred it if he had kept quiet about their  interest.

Legear is quite highly-rated in Belgium, and of course Anderlecht are the current Belgium Champions, and it’s true that scouts from other clubs  across Europe, in addition to Newcastle United,  have been monitoring his progress this season.

The report suggests that Chris Hughton has already watched the youngster in action, and while Chris has said Newcastle will not bring in any new players in January, we think the club may strengthen the squad  – if the timing is right and  some good players are available.

Everton are another club who have been linked with the player, but he will cost some real transfer money, as he has only recently extended his contract through the summer of 2014 with the Brussels club.

The likely fee quoted  for the player is around £3.5M,  and that’s within Newcastle’s range should they indeed decide to bring in some players in the January transfer window.

Jonathan has tremendous speed down the wing, and certainly Newcastle need more speed in their side, and as we mentioned earlier, he can also play as a striker.

It would appear the lad could be a decent signing for around £3M, if they can get him on Tyneside for that fee.

Jonathan started his career with Standard Liege as  11 year-old   back in 1998, and finally moved to Anderlecht in 2003, and has made around 100 appearances for the Brussels club since then with 14 goals.

• tjshawsey

Nov 2, 2010 at 6:01 PM

While I would prefer Lukaku, Legear would be good for the money we have available. I imagine Lukaku would be worth 10x that!

• Thump

Nov 2, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Been on FIFA11, tj? 😉

I agree, though. I’d love to get Lukaku in (future Drogba if ever there was one) but I don’t think we have the money for him. Think we should hoy in a cheeky bid 😉

• Nolan96

Nov 2, 2010 at 6:53 PM

Looked on youtube – fantastic goal against Bilbao. Anyone know if he is prem quality? If he is as quick as routledge i’ll be happy but Routledge lacks creativity and can’t put a ball on anyones head. Can Legear?

• GeordieGerman

Nov 2, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Pump up the brass, pump it up, pump it up.

• G

Nov 2, 2010 at 8:17 PM

He believes we are interested in him? Well I believe there are geordie whackers out there, I’m off to Canada to claim asylum with Randy Quad.

• StuW

Nov 2, 2010 at 9:11 PM

Legear is still young, and is still a good player. I wouldn’t mind him signing.

• sweendog

Nov 2, 2010 at 10:07 PM

not bad .. theres better out there .. prefer a winger with more pace .. and haven’t seen how good his crossing ability is .. although he looks to score a fair few goals but it is the belgium league .. still we need a RW

• RobIIINUFC

Nov 2, 2010 at 10:57 PM

I read somehwhere we were after this bloke instead of signing Ben Arfa permanently, dunno about anyone else but I’d prefer HBA over this guy even if there is a question mark over whether HBA can come back and be as good as he was..

• branunited

Nov 2, 2010 at 11:19 PM

is a good player, would be a good buy for the team if carried out, even if used as a striker I prefer one that actually plays there. I leave a list of 7 players that I would like to see in the newcastle, any contract ending in 2011, are good players and good value.

1: Hugo Almeida (striker) (6 million euros, the contract ends in 2011)
    2: Mario Bolatti (defensive midfielder) (4.8 million euros)
    3: Valter Birsa (attacking midfielder) (3 million euros, the contract ends in 2011
    4: Reto Ziegler (left side) (4.4 million euros, the contract ends in 2011)
    5: Nicola Pozzi (striker) (4 million euros)
    6: rasmus jonsson (striker) (2 million euros, Swedish twenty-year-old sensation in his country, contract ends in 2011)
    7: roland Bergkamp (striker 19 old year) (176,000 euros, the contract ends in 2011) nephew of Dennis Bergkamp

• Brutooon

Nov 2, 2010 at 11:28 PM

The player that is just nice for the club

Not that highly rated

Not being target by thetop 6 pf the premierleague

Not that high in cost

Go for him

• nufcursed

Nov 3, 2010 at 9:19 AM

i know legear as i’m from belgium.he’s very quick, a lot faster than routledge.his crossing is above average, gives lots of assists. can score a few crackers as well and has a decent shot on goal. the only thing that worries me is his consistency.but if you want to check out how good he is, just watch the game belgium-austria (4-4) where he played a massive game and in that game you can see which damage he can cause with his speed..
    i think he’s suited very well to the prem league.he’s better than routledge i guarantee!

• Obafan

Nov 3, 2010 at 2:46 PM

I’m from Belgium so I think I can give a few comments about Legaer.

I don’t think he is better than what we’ve already got to be honnest. He is quite quick and scores a few goals in a season. His crossing is not that bad at all, but we have to look at the level he plays.The Belgian League is below average (look at the European League results of the teams that play in it). This season he has played a couple of good games, but that’s it. And indeed like mentionned above he played very good against Austria, but when you wplay on the wing you also need to defend and that is something he doesn’t do at all. To play him as a striker is not an option at all.

So in Belgium he is good, but he has no EPL quality at all.

And about Lukaku, stay calm people, everybody screams he is the new Drogba but I cannot see that. He is starting to score the goals again, but lots of the goals he made were perfect assists of Boussoufa where Lukaku just couldn’t miss.