So That’s Why Shola Ameobi Was Always Injured

Shola Ameobi has been in great form this season, and of course we should also remember the start of last season, when he scored a valuable 5 goals in August, to get the lads off to a great start down in the Championship.

Chris Hughton – can he keep Shola fit?

But usually what happens, if history is to repeat itself,  is that Shola gets lots of injuries, mainly the little  niggly ones like hamstring injuries,  which has kept his appearances down at his local club.

But Shola has today admitted that in the past he’s played games when he’s been injured – and this is what he said today:

“My injuries are behind me, I’m convinced of that,” “I’ve been unlucky here but I don’t attribute to that to anyone here.”  “It has been incredibly frustrating but I’m not going to use that as an excuse for why I’ve not been established in the side.”

“In the past I’ve played through injuries that I probably shouldn’t have. I’ve learned from that, I wouldn’t do that now.” “That happened, I was a young player wanting to play every game and agreed to play.” “But it was a mistake and as I have got older I’ve maybe come to understand that a bit more.”

“I’m not superman, I have to watch what I do and how I do it. I am conscious of that – when I do play I have to be 100%.”  “At the start of the season I was annoyed, I was frustrated. I felt I’d done enough to get into that side to be honest but he chose other players,”

“You need to keep working hard though – you can’t just walk into the side. But your chance will come and you have to take it.”

Ameobi has been made to wait for his chance this season, but when he’s played he’s turned in some of his best performances ever for Newcastle – at Chelsea and last Sunday against Sunderland, are two of his performances that come to mind this season.

Hughton was trying to sign another experienced striker in the summer, but he didn’t,  and it certainly doesn’t look like our strikers are having a difficult time of it so far, having scored 19 goals in 10 league games, and 7 goals in 3 games in the Carling Cup.

Danish striker Peter Lovenkrands is not getting too many games this season – so far – but we have to think that Peter still has a big part to play at Newcastle this season.

When you add 19 year fast improving striker Nile Ranger to the mix, then we have some good strikers who can put the ball in the net, as we showed against Aston Villa Sunderland and at Stamford Bridge last month and when the lads hit home 15 goals in those 3 games.

But we’re particularly keen that Shola keeps fit, as Joey Barton also seems to be doing so far this season, and if Shola can remain free of injury, and keep up his good form, this could even be Shola’s best season ever on Tyneside – we have to hope so.

• mashearer

Nov 5, 2010 at 10:31 AM

off topic here just read at mirrorfootball that kerr dismiss the rumour..so who do you guys think will be our assistant manager

• zargothuk

Nov 5, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Its about time this lad had some luck and get the press and attention he deserves!

• jesus was a geordie

Nov 5, 2010 at 10:39 AM

It’s no secret that Shola has played through injuries, Roeder made quite a big deal about it (during the worst injury crisis in my memory).

I’d love it if we go out play 4/4/2, it’s a risk, but I think that team deserves the opportunity and 2 big lads up front means they can’t simply mark Carroll out of the game and it’ll leave space for Nolan, Barton n Jonas!

• archaeomag

Nov 5, 2010 at 10:59 AM

I think that 4 4 2 can work, in part, because Tiote is a proper defensive midfielder, giving the others, particularly Nolan to attack.

Shola & Andy, two big guys, present a serious problem to most defences, as both are good in the air and on the deck, making them more difficult to mark.
    I thought Shola’s second goal was technically superb, – a tremendous bit of skill.

• liam85

Nov 5, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Shola Ameobi rules! He really can put in some good goals. Against Sunderland, after Carroll headed the crossbar and Ameobi scored. that was one hell of a goal.. the ball was in the air and looked very hard to control the ball but he did it so well. I wish tehy don’t change the team for the Arsenal game just to see how we play in that formation against a good team.

• JP...from The Rock

Nov 5, 2010 at 5:23 PM

I have to admit I am one of the first guys to doubt Shola Ameobi and criticize the player. But I have to admit I have been extremely impressed with him so far. Like a comment made above, his volley in the derby was awesome. That was a really technically difficult shot to pull off but he handled it superbly. His penalty was also one of the best I’ve seen and he couldn’t have tucked it nearer to the post than that with that power. He seems to be thriving under Hughton’s fantastic management. Hughton has improved every player except Xisco who doesn’t get a mention but that is probably down to his own fault. Hughton deserves a huge pay rise.

• punk skunk...

Nov 5, 2010 at 9:16 PM

Don’t worry…As soon as Shola makes one tiny little mistake everyone’ll be back on his butt…It’ll wipe out all the good stuff he’s done, cos that’s how people are with him…He’s not the only one mind…Some fans only begrudgingly give him respect when they absolutely have to, or they’ll look totally stupid…
    Howay Shola, keep ’em quiet mate…

• ardenTOON

Nov 6, 2010 at 8:15 AM

I wish shola had stayed fit during Roeders time when Al had retired and owen was crocked..he just didnt get a decent run after that in the team. Hope we go 442 at arsenil our best bet coz our team actually plays better offensively than when trying to
    shut down the opponent.