Tiote Treated Like A Man Since He Arrived At Newcastle

News yesterday that former Newcastle left back Olivier Bernard is very active in helping our new midfielder, Cheick Tiote, settle in on Tyneside, and from what we can tell, Olivier is doing a very good job.

Tiote in action in Newcastle’s hot engine room on Sunday

It’s nice to see one of our former players Barnard, who is still only 31 years of age, helping out the club in this way.

Newcastle now have two wins in a row in the league, but they’ll do very well indeed to keep the unbeaten streak to 4 games, if we can just avoid defeat at the Emirates on Sunday.

Looking ahead to the big game at Arsenal, Tiote said:

“We are going to play Arsenal and we are very focused – we can’t get too excited after Sunderland.” “What we’ve been doing in training is working really hard.”

“But if we put in the same effort as Sunderland, then why can’t we get a good result at Arsenal?” “We have to be careful but I think we have a chance because of the way we are playing.”

Chris Hughton is obviously doing something right in the way he treats the Newcastle players, since he took over 16 months ago, because not only has he brought the very best out of the squad he has, but players seem to wax lyrical about him all the time.

We have to think that because of his vast experience, both playing at the highest levels of the game, and coaching continuously since the summer of 1993, when he joined the  Tottenham coaching staff, he knows just exactly how to handle his players, and he certainly seems to give them all the utmost respect and support.

It’s a big insight into Chris’ coaching style, that Tiote has come out and said he’s  pleased with being treated like a man (and not a kid), since he arrived at Newcastle, as he continued:

“I always knew that the English game was for me.” “Steve McClaren told me last season that I had the right type of mentality to play and survive in England.”

“So that made the decision very easy to come to Newcastle.” “The mentality is completely different to the Dutch style in the dressing room.” “In Holland you get treated like a kid.”

“Since I have been at Newcastle I get treated like a man.” “I am allowed to think for myself and do what I want to do.” “It is a lot better at Newcastle for me.”

Newcastle are currently doing very well in the Premier League so far this season, but we’ve got to make every attempt to keep our feet on the ground, and not get too carried away.

But Hughton is also starting to get lots of plaudits from his peers for the job he’s doing on Tyneside, and just looking at the man’s record,  you have to believe he’s not yet finished with his tremendous, and so far very successful,  overhaul of the Newcastle club.

Whether Chris can become a top manager in the Premier League is still up for debate – but if he keeps getting results like the last two wins at West Ham, and then at home to old enemy Sunderland last Sunday, Mike Ashley may have found himself a jewel, when he surprisingly appointed him manager of our famous club 16 months ago.

At least it will be both interesting and exciting to find out this season, just how good our manager really is.

And he could even surprise the lot of us.

• Sav

Nov 5, 2010 at 12:01 PM

Tal;king of treating Tiote like a man, this assistant manager saga can’t be very easy on Beardo either – a bit of a forgotten casualty in all this. Hope it gets sorted soon one way or t’other.

• Sav

Nov 5, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Have to add that I’m a bit in agreement that we should not be conga-ing around the boardroom or playing Daydream believer over the tannoy after Sunlun 5-1.
    The biggest insult was the stream of Mackems leaving after the 4th one went in. We didn’t have to demean ourselves with that just because they do it and I totally disgree with Luke-who’s-talking’s article on it. We won 5-1. Time to show a bit of class. We have bigger fish to fry than beating the unwashed.

• jesus was a geordie

Nov 5, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Sav, I think as long as Pedro was told outright by Hughton that he wants to recruit from outside (if that truly is the case) then he is no more a casualty than me or you – he’s doing a decent job as reserve coach and I would personally like to keep it that way!

As for the ‘insults’ Perhaps day-dream believer was a step too far as the tannoy is perhaps seen as being an official voice and therefore slightly more impartial, but at the end of the day, we’d just made history and all those working at the club (for the most part at least) are NUFC fans, they obviously got a bit carried away, as did we all….

Same goes for the conga in the boardroom, I was in Belfast, but I had people in and out of my flat all game after hearing me effing, blinding and screaming at the top of my lungs…Why shouldn’t Ashley dance around like a kid who’s had too many M&Ms, I know I was, and he’s as much right to do so as anyone else!

I do get what you’re saying, and all this gloating will make it even sweeter for them should they turn us over at the SOS, so I guess what I’m saying is, at the time, it was understandable, but now let’s put it to bed and get on with Arsenal!

• cupiddstunt

Nov 5, 2010 at 12:55 PM

Hey were they not gloating when we went down??????????????

• mrmcgee

Nov 5, 2010 at 1:14 PM

Hey im sorry but i think playing daydream believer was spot on.

After all, we beat our biggest rivals 5-1.. .cupid you are right.. they gloated for a year when we were in the championship. Every night on the legends we had to put up with people saying sunderland top dogs etc….

Playing daydream believer was a musical way of letting the door hit them on the way out. It was a statement of intent, when combined with the 5-1 drubbing we gave out.. that we are not messing with them. We hate them.. We embarrassed them… we absolutely thrashed them. In fact… we should have made them all watch the 5 goals on re run 50 times before they were let out.

Saying we should show more class? Sunderlands fans dont deserve any class showing to them. Anyone else, yes, but sunderland… not a chance.

Good on you NUFC… I fkn loved it!

• Burni

Nov 5, 2010 at 1:20 PM

MrMcgee, Im with you mate! I cant believe that toon supporters would be upset that we sang an offensive song or that NUFC promoted it. I get the feeling that Ashley genuinely likes the toon and that he was happy to see us trounce scumderland too. Remember that were all equal and they would do the same thing if they could ( which they wont ) why should we show more class?

• MonsterMagnet

Nov 5, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Olivier Bernard, what a nice guy. I always thought he was a good LB.

• GeordieGerman

Nov 5, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Who did we offend? Most of them were back home before the final whistle.

• Sav

Nov 6, 2010 at 1:58 AM

A point I made earlier.
    Hold on a minute, I’m all for 5under1and and all the other stuff, including the obscene version of DDB, and I leapt about and yellled like a nutter as well, but not the ”official’ stuff.

And not Llambiarse and Cashley shaking their fat behinds at Niall Quinn when he is their official post-match guest.

To put it another way, its not what Chris Houghton would do, is it?