Arsenal vs Newcastle – Match Preview

After Newcastle have now won their last two league games, the game tomorrow at Arsenal will be a real test that could tell us all just how good this Newcastle side is at the moment.

Newcastle have been nothing if not inconsistent so far this season in the league, and tomorrow’s game is a perfect opportunity for the side to show they are starting to settle down in the Premier League and can string a number of good performances together.

We are getting more convinced as the points rack up this season, that Chris Hughton may be a lot better than we had thought, and since the Londoner has still not been offered a suitable new contract at Newcastle – yet – Chris and the lads will want to get some good results to persuade Mike Ashley to offer Chris Hughton what he has fully earned – an greatly improved long term contract on Tyneside.

We may not get any points from the game tomorrow, but what we’d like to see is another fully committed performance from the side, who have gone the last three games unbeaten in the league since Fab Coloccini got that last minute equalizer at home to Wigan.

We would normally expect Chris Hughton to play a 4-5-1 formation tomorrow, and that would be to combat the central midfield of Arsenal,  where Fabregas will likely return, and the London side are always so dominant in that area of the field, as young Jack Wilshere has now served his three match ban for being sent off against Birmingham City for his challenge on Nikola Zigic, and is likely to start.

It could well be that Newcastle  will be  facing  Wilshere, Song and Fabregas in Arsenal’s midfield tomorrow, so we wouldn’t be at all surprised if Chris plays a 4-5-1 formation.

But with the great form of Andy Carroll and Shola Ameobi lately, we have a sneaking suspicion that Chris will likely play the same team that has won the last two league games – why change something that isn’t broke – is the phrase  that comes to mind.

Former Gunner Sol Campbell will probably be fit enough to take his place on the bench alongside the fit again Steven Taylor, and we expect Ryan Taylor and Danny Guthrie, who both were omitted from the subs bench against Sunderland –  they beat Stoke 2-0 today and are now one point  ahead of us –  to be reinstated there.

Arsenal’s defense isn’t their strength either, especially in central defense, and Andy and Shola may be able to scare the living daylights out of the Arsenal defense tomorrow, if they show the same good form of the last couple of games in the league.

So we think Chris will play the following side tomorrow:

Krul
Simpson Coloccini Williamson Enrique
Barton Topte Nolan Gutierrez
Ameobi Carroll
Subs: Soderberg Taylor (S) Taylor (R) Campbell Guthrie Smith Lovenkrands

The defense will be so important for Newcastle, and we cannot give any sloppy goals away at the Emirates tomorrow, but that’s one thing we have not been too good at all season, and even against Sunderland we still managed to concede a goal in the 90th minute, after dominating the Black Cats completely in that second half.

We have to hope that Cheick Tiote is again top form for Newcastle in midfield, and he could be a key player tomorrow, as tries to combat Wilshere and Fabregas,  and we hope that Barton and Nolan continue to play with the skill and vision they have shown over the last couple of games.

If Andy Carroll and Shola Ameobi can be as energetic and clinical as they’ve been recently,  then with a little bit of luck,  Newcastle could even be in with a chance to bring about a shock result tomorrow.

But really, Newcastle have nothing to lose tomorrow, and we’re sure they will  make a competitive game of it, and will try to get all 3 points.

Whether we are anywhere good enough yet to do  that,  remains to be seen, but we’ll know soon enough.

Comments always welcome.

• Howay The Lads

Nov 6, 2010 at 7:26 PM

Quick, Ed, it’s ‘Tiote’!

• mattnufc

Nov 6, 2010 at 7:29 PM

We’ve got to go 4-5-1 against Arsenal I feel. Bring in Guthrie for Ameobi.

• daffy

Nov 6, 2010 at 7:32 PM

We,re back! After all the bull…. weve took , we are back up to 7th above yous where well prob stay for the rest of the season , yeah , we were worse than sh.. last week but rest assured the build up to the next one has already started & you will be in for one hell of a reception at the Stadium of Light ! That Daydream believer sh.. just shows what a mickey mouse club you really are . We would never need to stoop that low, Bring on the Arsenal !!

• Howay The Lads

Nov 6, 2010 at 7:40 PM

No way, Matt!

That’s basically, damage limitation from the first minute.

Arsenal’s defence is barely better than ours, but going forward they’re incredible. We’re awful defensively, but are pretty decent going forward. What makes more sense then; playing to our strengths, and Arsenal’s weaknesses, or vice versa?

• moonraker

Nov 6, 2010 at 7:40 PM

CH has to go 4-5-1 tomorrow or else Arsenal will murder us in midfield.

I hope he’s learnt something from the 4-0 defeat and not getting too carried away by the 5-1, cos Arsenal are on a different planet to Sunderland.

I reckon they’re gonna be in the relegation zone before long cos they were dead lucky against Stoke who dominated them for long periods today so I hear.

Good times!!! 🙂

• Howay The Lads

Nov 6, 2010 at 7:41 PM

Daffy, that is one of the funniest comments on here all season – if not ever! 😆

• G

Nov 6, 2010 at 7:43 PM

The Arse will probs murder us in the midfield whatever formation we play. I always believe, that if you have nothing to lose, you should risk the lot! Lets just keep running at them and try to outscore them. Come on, 3 points tomorrow.

• pearceet

Nov 6, 2010 at 7:44 PM

ive heard topte is a class act! 🙂

• JP...from The Rock

Nov 6, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Daffy do us all a favour and shut up. why don’t you whine on the sunderland blog…oh yeahh I forgot your shite club aint got a blog.

But thanks for reminding me about the derby…aaaaahhhh the sweet memories 🙂

• davcon22

Nov 6, 2010 at 7:54 PM

Daffy,here’s a little reminder of gulf between the 2 teams.Have another look matey HA HA!!

• daffy

Nov 6, 2010 at 7:54 PM

Thats confined to history + one game dont make a season , thing is we done what you couldnt by beating stoke , your gonna get gunned down big style by the gunners who by the way couldnt beat us at the S.O.L
    Just check out the table.

• Howay The Lads

Nov 6, 2010 at 8:01 PM

daffy, put it this way.

Can you remember what position we finished when we beat you 4-1? I can’t. I think you got relegated, but I don’t remember where we finished.

The things I remember are the 3-2 and 4-1 wins. I couldn’t name you another result, but those I could.

In a few seasons, I’m certain it’ll be the same this season. And you know that too.

Even if we lose to Arsenal, I doubt we’ll be calling for our manager’s head like you’s. You know why?

Because we expect it. We don’t delude ourselves by thinking we’ll go to Arsenal (or in your case, Newcastle) and win and then leave thoroughly disappointed 😀

• CT

Nov 6, 2010 at 8:10 PM

As I`ve said earlier on previous post, this is one game we have to go 4:4:2 and play more direct and bypass midfield or we`re done!!

Daffy, Martin Atkinson won the game for you!

• daffy

Nov 6, 2010 at 8:11 PM

Yeah , i was at sid james when we won 4.1 in 79 , i rememeber that + i was at Roker Park in 80 when little stan scored & it was 1.0 remember that + 2.1 at sid james in 2000 , + 2.1 at sid james in 2001 , remember that one , ah + 2.1 at the Stadium of Light 2 years ago , remember that, so whats your point?

• daffy

Nov 6, 2010 at 8:13 PM

Not to mention the play off game with gates +gabiadinni, remember that??
    Thought not.

• davcon22

Nov 6, 2010 at 8:15 PM

That one game’s made my season Daffy!!!

All together now “Cheer up Stevey Bruce” etc etc
    Join in Daffy!!

• davcon22

Nov 6, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Who the f**ks gabiadinni? :-/

• daffy

Nov 6, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Anyway pleased to seee you eventually got the sold out signs up .You only come to see Sunderland.

• Howay The Lads

Nov 6, 2010 at 8:28 PM

“so whats your point?”

My point is that this game IS ‘confined to history’, but not in the way you think.

In 30 years, when people mention Nolan, they’ll almost definitely recall this game. Whereas if you mention that season they won’t say ‘oh, the season where Newcastle finished 13th and Sunderland finished 11th, as you’re clearly claiming is more important’.

It’s about what goes down in history. What would you rather do; finish 10th and lose like you did, or finish 13th and win like we did?

I know what I’d want. And, going by how obsessed you clearly are with us, I think I know what you’d want…

• daffy

Nov 6, 2010 at 8:40 PM

Look , Ha,way the lads , it wont be relevant when we stuff yous at the S.O.L which i tell you know is what we will do , the clock is ticking…..

• balubas1

Nov 6, 2010 at 9:16 PM

someone mentioned putting in Guthrie if we play 4-5-1.. for christ sake not! He is not fit enough for the premier league yet. I hope he will be eventually, but I’m starting to doubt it. I don’t dislike him, but it’s like with Perch.. Good spirits, but is just not good enough. If we do 4-5-1 Routledge should come in for Ameobi and play right winger with Barton going in central.

• balubas1

Nov 6, 2010 at 9:18 PM

daffy: 5under1and. I don’t mind the occational shout from you here, but you are now the most regular poster in here.. seriously, don’t you have your own forum or blog?

ED: ban daffy from this forum

• Howay The Lads

Nov 6, 2010 at 9:28 PM

balubas, he’s been injured all season and has only not been in the team because of Barton, Nolan and Tiote’s incredible form.

The season we went down, he was one of our better players and scored a few too. He’s only just turned 23 and has the technique, he just needs to add a defensive side to his game.

If he gets that – and it is so important in the EPL – then he’ll be great

• baro

Nov 6, 2010 at 9:54 PM

I agree with going with last weeks lineup with Ameobi and Carroll up top like Ed has his lineup, but I believe Sol Campbell deserves a chance as he is playing his former team who he played with for a really long time. I would hope to take a early lead in this game which would be the best thing and then in the second half put in Steven Taylor to help out the defense. I just hope we do get a point out of this game!

Newcastle 3 – 2 Arsenal

Carroll 1 goal
    Barton 2 goals

• baro

Nov 6, 2010 at 9:56 PM

By the way Samir Nasri is playing one of his favorite players ” JOEY BARTON ” !!!!!!!!

• Toon XI

Nov 6, 2010 at 10:03 PM

Daffy – your name fits you perfectly. ‘Nuff said.

• balubas1

Nov 6, 2010 at 10:30 PM

how way the lads:

yea.. But “he played well the season we went down”.. he played alot and we lost alot. It probably sounds like I’m thrashing him now, but thats not my intent. I just don’t see how he’s gonna fit in our team. He is hopeless on the right. He could be a good CM with main purpose to deliver balls around, but that spot is taken.
    As I mentioned, he looks very unfit for the EPL…. He should put down some serious time in the gym. His natural physique is poor so he needs to step up and do the job. I really hope he does, and doesn’t waste the talent he has.

• branunited

Nov 6, 2010 at 10:38 PM

be very difficult to beat arsenal, but I have hope and faith in God and our players that we are left with the victory, if we get the win, we can dawn on Monday as the sixth general, which would be very good because Now we would fight for a place in European competitions, competitions to which we belong.
    this is the possible alignment of arsenal for the meeting.

Fabianski
    Koscielny Vermal Sagna Clichy

eboue fabregas nasri Wilshere

Chamakh bendtner

my result would be a spectacular 4-3 to Newcastle

3 nolan
    1 carroll
    ue think we out to attack, he best way to respect a strong opponent attacked, wba remember what he did, and I leave the same question I leave you lost after the match against arsenal in carling, newcastle case that no is a better team than wba?, then you can win, I leave the name of a good French front center of 22 years old, NOLAN ROUX, consider

• branunited

Nov 6, 2010 at 10:40 PM

this is the possible alignment of arsenal for the meeting.

Fabianski
    Koscielny Vermal Sagna Clichy

eboue fabregas nasri Wilshere

Chamakh bendtner

my result would be a spectacular 4-3 to Newcastle

3 nolan
    1 carroll
    I think we need to go out and attack, he best way to respect a strong opponent attacked, wba remember what he did, and I leave the same question to leave after the match we lost against arsenal in carling, newcastle case that no is a better team than wba?, then you can win, I leave the name of a good French striker of 22 years old, NOLAN ROUX, consider.

• Howay The Lads

Nov 6, 2010 at 10:43 PM

How I see it is, if he can become a great tackler, he is the heir to Joey Barton.

He’s brilliant going forward and sees through balls as if time has slowed down, but he’s not a player you want in the trenches when it’s bad. I think that’s why in the 08/09 season he wasn’t as effective.

The better we get and the more of a possession football team we become, the better he’ll look.

I’m not one to get carried away, but the development team at Liverpool said, at 17, he was better than Gerrard. Obviously he’ll never be as good as him, but he can pretty damn good, IMO

• G

Nov 6, 2010 at 10:57 PM

Can I just ask one question here guys? Why is everybody entertaining the duck impersonator? Remember the old expression ‘An empty can rattles the most’, well that particular can is clearly a void! Just let the results do the talking.

• Turkish Magpie

Nov 6, 2010 at 11:13 PM

@ daffy comment 14

You’ve pretty much mentioned every win you’ve ever achieved against us.

Now i could mention any of the 48 times we’ve beaten you but i have a life

oh and 5-1, nuff sed.

• shamadz72

Nov 7, 2010 at 12:49 AM

I like your selection Ed. I will choose the same too.

Bring in the big chap Andy & Ameobi and we will rock the Emirates stadium. 🙂

• Carl92

Nov 7, 2010 at 2:46 AM

Daffy your a typical sunderland fan more bothered about whats going on at newcastle than at sunderland, take interest in your own team and get off this blog.

• Brutooon

Nov 7, 2010 at 8:15 AM

the pressure is on arsenal to win, so we got nothing to lose

keep them frustrate, tiote would easily control fabregas

a draw and a win are possible 🙂

• Hugo_Viana

Nov 7, 2010 at 11:27 AM

My team for Arsenal would be:

Krul

Simpson, Coloccini, Sol, Enrique
    *************Tiote***********
    Barton******Guthrie*****Gutierrez
    ********Nolan****************
    ***************Carroll********

• xfer

Nov 7, 2010 at 12:52 PM

We need to start with 4-4-2, Ameobi hasnt done too much wrong in the past few games. We cannot be defending for 90 minutes. We have physical threat in our team, use it!

Ameobi and Carroll will be immense for Arsenal’s CBs. Tiote, Nolan and Joey Barton has to be combative! I believe we can sneak a result here.