Newcastle Could Be Up To 4th Place – With A Win Tonight

Jose Enrique has talked today about the Arsenal win, and the fact the Newcastle side is doing quite well in the Premier League, so far this season.

Jose Enrique – cheer up Jose – we could win tonight!

And Jose today has said the win at Arsenal is the very first time he’s been in a Newcastle side that has beaten a top four side, since he arrived at Newcastle just over three years ago.

This is what Jose said today about the fantastic win against Arsenal:

“The Arsenal victory was as good a result as I’ve had as a Newcastle player. To go to the Emirates and win was very special and we are proud of the performance.”“We believe we can beat anyone at the moment, but the difficult thing about this league is that everyone does.”

“We have two very important home games against Blackburn and Fulham this week and we cannot drop more points at St James’.” “It was the first time I have beaten one of the Big Four since I came to England so that is special for me. It shows you how difficult it is to do it.”

“This is my third season in the Premier League. I’ve drawn a couple, I think, but it is very hard. These are the sorts of games I came to England for.”

Jose seems to have been well schooled by manager Chris Hughton, as he is hardly getting carried away by Newcastle currently being in 5th place in the Premier League, as he continued:

“We have started well, but we have to continue. I remember in my first year at Newcastle we started well and then we had problems later on in the season.”

“Teams have started well before and been relegated so we cannot take anything for granted.” “Staying up is still our main priority even though we are fifth in the table.”

“They are all difficult games, we have to play like we did against Arsenal every week. If we do that, we will not be in any trouble and we will stay in this division, but we have maintain the same standards.”

Newcastle’s home form has been disappointing, to say the least, with just 7 points out of the 5 league games so far at home this season, and we have a good 10 points from our 6 away league games.

Enrique talked about Newcastle’s home form:

“When we have won, we have won big against Aston Villa and Sunderland, but we have dropped too many points against teams like us.”

“We have two more games like that against Blackburn and Fulham, and we hope we can turn St James’s back into a strong place for us, that is very important.”

“This is a great opportunity for us to keep this good run and going and really strengthen our position.”

How Newcastle do in their next two home games in the next 4 days will tell us just how much Newcastle have improved in the Premier League this season.  And with playing 3 games in just 6 games, Chris will need to use the Newcastle squad wisely.

If we can continue the form of the last three games, we can indeed get all 6 points that are up for grabs against Blackburn and Fulham, but that’s a lot easier to say than to do.

But it would very nice to start things off with a win against Blackburn tonight, and if we do that and Manchester United beat City, then Newcastle will be in 4th place in the Premier League.

• RedMissionBells

Nov 10, 2010 at 11:44 AM

While I am sure the win against Arsenal will boost the teams morale and bring more self belief, I hope our players and fans do not become too unrealistic about the season.
    Ever since the victory against Arsenal, our players have talked alot about england call-ups etc. There has been alot of hype going on which may be unhealthy.

Instead, lets be level headed and start focusing on each game as it comes. Secure wins and move on with it. Come end of season, hopefully we can give ourselves a chance in Europe. At the moment, its far too early to talk about anything else other than to be humble and work hard. 😀

• jesus was a geordie

Nov 10, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Red, I’m more worried about the expectation level of our fans than the players!

At the end of the day, the players are interviewed, the interviewers will ask them about England call ups because that’s what other pundits are suggesting!

As I said, I worry that fan expectation will go up, thus increasing the pressure on the players. Look at Spuds fans, they beat Inter n then boo their players off the pitch last night…

• G

Nov 10, 2010 at 11:58 AM

I agree RMB, but, I think a lot of the old heads on here are not getting carried away, we are simply enjoying the moment, as lets face it, it seems like a million years ago since we were in this position! It is far too early to suggest European football, but there is a possibility where it might happen. I am simply loving the fact that even though we still have one of the weakest squads in the prem, we are exceeding the sum of our parts.

• sweendog

Nov 10, 2010 at 12:01 PM

RedMissionBells .. agreed but I do think us fans are realistic this time around ..
    Prem saftey first (improving our home form will secure this).. then either a good FA Cup run or pushing for europe .. or both next ..

• munch27

Nov 10, 2010 at 12:08 PM

As far as i’m concerned these next two games are the most important of the season , my reasoning for this is Blackburn will come here tonight looking at our very hit and miss home form thinking they can get something out of this game.

If blackburn win tonight Fulham will then come thinking they will get something from the game , so as i say lets hammer Blackburn and then teams that follow them too St James’s will have something too think about i want our “Fortress” back.

• hadthetshirt

Nov 10, 2010 at 12:10 PM

All I ask this season is to be still in this league.
    Fair play to Hughton too,who I have given stick to.He has been man enough to change to 4-2-4-at home now,and against Arsenal.Let the other teams worry about us.In Tiote he has bought one of the best.This lad is always available for a pass rarely gives the ball away and wins more than his share of tackles.A real gem C.H.Just a shame we lost at home to blackpool,stoke,and drew with wigan as we would have been half way to safety,not too mention 2nd in the table.Not getting carried away though it’s been a decent start to the season,and light at the end of the tunnel.
    howay the lads

• Whoarya.com

Nov 10, 2010 at 12:16 PM

At 5 on Saturday we will know that we are capable of “doing” a Spurs.

For me everything is crossed

• hadthetshirt

Nov 10, 2010 at 12:26 PM

that should read 4-4-2 before you all get on my back

• Toontastico

Nov 10, 2010 at 12:51 PM

Good words from Jose, whos haveing a great season so far. To be honest I dont think anyones getting carried away, reckon everyone knows that 2 loses in a row and were right back down the table.
    Saying this I think CH has shown enough tactical nouse this season to know that tonights game will be totally diffirent then Arsenal and we’ll have to keep the ball on the deck a lot more and look to get in behind them as opposed to dropping balls into the box and putting them under pressuere that way. An early goal tonight would be magic but I really think its gonna be tight with either a 1-1 or a 2-1 either way, hopefully to us.
    With regards to the International call ups Its all part and parcel of how well we’ve played so far this year and was always going to happen, I dont think this will effect this group tho as they all seem level and focussed and this is in no small part to CH.

• StevieGee

Nov 10, 2010 at 1:06 PM

I am over the moon with the last few performances and the most pleasing thing from my point of view is the way we’ve passed so well and kept the ball.

When we were up against West Ham and Arsenal I was admittedly nervous as hell as we were one mistake away from dropping points but the way we passed the ball, calmed the game down and looked comfortable in possession was amazing. Especially against Arsenal. The home fans were getting really irate.

But yes I agree. We all need to keep our feet on the ground and focus on the next game.

I wont mention that if we beat Blackburn 6-0 and Arsenal and ManCity both lose we would be in 3rd. Ha ha…

Just kidding before anyone has a go!

• Burni

Nov 10, 2010 at 1:21 PM

I have to agree with parts and disagree with others fellas.

I think after newcastle were relagated they got rid of (most of) the people who were costing too much and not putting the effort in. I have seen a huge improvement in the newcqastle TEAM over the last 16 months since Hughton took over. Dont get me wrong if people were talking about winning the premier league then I’d think they were being a bit silly but in all fairness we have a REALLY good football team who, yeah had a couple of shaky games at home but in all fairness 2 losses at home… is that it? We all have a right to be overoptimistic and enjoy the way the club is at the minute coz its the best it has been in years. The only thing I wouldnt like is for fans to boo them if they drew,….. we were cheering when we drew against wigan. In all seriousness tho guys we have only played badly two and a half times this season, we should have beaten Wolves and Citeh but decisions went against us. Ive gotta ask if now isnt the time to start being optimistic then when is?

• Moreno

Nov 10, 2010 at 1:21 PM

I agree with being realistic and keeping feet on the ground etc.

I also can’t wait to see who we get in the group stages of the Champions League next year.

• Toon XI

Nov 10, 2010 at 1:21 PM

I’m not at all concerned with the “E” word. Just surviving the season without a late season relegation battle would suit me fine. The lads have been outstanding as of late. Let’s hope it continues for the next few days and we see another 6 points.

To be sitting on 23 points with just 13 games played would be a dream this season.

• Burni

Nov 10, 2010 at 1:23 PM

stevie gee I was thinking that too why would anyone have a go my glass is also half full unlike a lot of these doubters…..