Sam Made Two Great Newcastle Signings – Enrique And Barton

Former Newcastle manager Sam Allardyce didn’t always make good signings for Newcastle, but two of his signings that have come to be great signings, are Jose Enrique and Joey Barton.

Jose Enrique – in action at Goodison Park

Both are now top players for Newcastle, after both players had rather difficult starts on Tyneside.

Enrique had trouble his first season as he struggled to settle on Tyneside, and the fee Newcastle paid for the Spanish U21 International raised some eyebrows, as it was reported at £6.2M.

But Jose stuck in and kept his head down, and it’s been a great move for both Newcastle and the Spaniard, who played great last season, and has carried on that form in the Premier League this season.

When Joey Barton was signed in summer, 2007, it was greeted by Newcastle fans in a lukewarm way, because essentially Joey had been fired by then Man City manager Stuart Pearce, after he had that terrible altercation in training with Dabo.

Things hardly got better when Joey was shown on CCTV cameras on 27th December of the same year, while at Newcastle, assaulting a man, for which he received a 6 month jail sentence in the following May, and served that sentence that summer,  before returning to the Newcastle club.

But since then Joey has got his life together and his football career is back on track, and he’s now in the best form of his career.

Jose Enrique is very thankful to Sam Allardyce for signing him for Newcastle, back in the summer of 2007.

Jose said today:

“I will always be grateful to Sam Allardyce because he brought me to Newcastle. He saw something he liked.”  “He saw the potential in me and he was willing to take a chance on me and bring me to the Premier League.”

“Without him, I would not be at Newcastle and I would not be loving it as much as I do.” “It was hard for me when I first came because I wasn’t playing, didn’t speak the language very well and I wasn’t ready to play in English football. It was frustrating, but I understood.”

“When he left it was a little sad, but that is football. I’m just very grateful he signed me for Newcastle United – because this has been a fantastic move for me.”

And  he will probably get a chance tonight to thank Sam for bringing him to Tyneside, but he should probably wait until after the game to thank Sam – and then he can also thank him for the 3 points.

We wish.

• ebol

Nov 10, 2010 at 11:13 AM

To be fair Habib Beye was also a very good signing.

Sam’s signings were a bit like Hughton’s – hit and miss – but when they get it right, they really get it right.

Sam also deserves credit for sticking with Joey through all the controversy and troubles off the pitch.

• Alchemist

Nov 10, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Anyone heard these rumours.. Supposedly Capello is looking at Danny Simpson for the England squad!

• sweendog

Nov 10, 2010 at 11:27 AM

Alchemist .. heard that on BBC rumours .. on current form yes .. but he’s still a way to go IMO

• Alchemist

Nov 10, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Too soon IMO.

• jesus was a geordie

Nov 10, 2010 at 11:40 AM

On current form Simpson deserves a run out, and to be fair, that’s what these friendlies are for!

As for Fat Sam and Enrique, I very begrudgingly have to admit that between Jose and Barton, Sam did a very good job…Still despise the man!

• sweendog

Nov 10, 2010 at 11:42 AM

good sign though that he’s playing well .. did a top job at arsenal .. we’ll see how he handles the physical side of blackburn ..

• Dragonera

Nov 10, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Also, Abdoulaye Faye was a rock for us

• ytz

Nov 10, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Barton the next Newcastle’s David Beckham?

• Rotonda heights

Nov 10, 2010 at 12:23 PM

I’m sure the 4m pay off for 6 months work should have eased any bitterness on Sam’s part.

Ok so he signed a couple of decent players, but neither Barton or Enrique looked like players under Sam. His route one, ultra defensive, dour and physical approach squeezed the life out of any creative players, including those 2.

• Ryan_NUFC88

Nov 10, 2010 at 12:28 PM

IMO give simpson a run out for England, it will build his confidence for newcastle and will potentially make him a much better player. I think he would be cracking on the right as he’s good at getting forward and back but also has good positional play as shown against Arsenal and mackems. Would be chuffed to bits to see two toon players in the england squad come Saturday, it would show just how far some of how players have come and stepped up to the premiership plate!!!

• Sav

Nov 10, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Expect transfer requests by the weekend from Raylor and Perch if Simmo wins a cap.