Strange Statement From Lovenkrands On Leaving Newcastle

Peter Lovenkrands admits he may want to leave Newcastle United.

Peter Lovenkrands – home sick for  Denmark – really?

Lovenkrands has said today that he misses his home country of Denmark, but he’s been away from Denmark for 10 years, since he signed on for Glasgow Rangers , after Newcastle manager Bobby Robson thought he had signed the then 20 year-old for Newcastle United.

Peter said today:

“I miss my country, so if a team like FC was interested, I’d certainly listen to what they have to say.”

That’s a strange statement from Peter, because one reason he was delighted to come to Newcastle, was that his Glasgow-born wife was nearer home, and she could visit her folks north of the border.

And Peter’s wife just couldn’t settle in Germany, when he was at Schalke 04, which is the main reason he left the German club in January of last year by mutual consent, and then joined Newcastle on a free transfer.

So whether his wife could easily settle in Denmark is a good question.

Lovenkrands is now 30 and is hoping to keep his place in the National side, after a recall in August saw him face Portugal as a 74th minute substitute.

Peter added:

“It is obviously harder for me to get into the team than it is for some of the others, who are playing regularly. I hope that I can join again for you know me and know what I stand for.”

We could understand if Peter had said he was frustrated at getting so few games for Newcastle this season, and it’s true he’s made just  5 appearances for Newcastle this term, with one goal.

And big lads Carroll, Ameobi and Ranger seem  to fit the mode of strikers Chris Hughton seems to prefer at Newcastle, and it could be that Peter will not  get many more games before the January transfer window opens.

But Peter is still a good player, and he came through big time for Newcastle in the second half of last season, so we certainly don’t want to see Peter leave in January.

The Danish striker is still too good a player to leave Newcastle, and in 49 total appearances for the Magpies, he’s  scored 20 goals – not bad at all.

• Toon XI

Nov 10, 2010 at 1:03 PM

Can’t blame him one bit for wanting to leave. He is not getting time on the pitch.

• Brutooon

Nov 10, 2010 at 1:06 PM

With ameobi and carroll banging the goal, he gonna wait for some time

• Sav

Nov 10, 2010 at 1:15 PM

11 games in and he’s had chances to impress. I’m not particularly impressed by his statement. Where’s the close team spirit in that? We have others who are getting bits of games or none at all and I don’t hear them griping.
    C’mon man, be a good pro and don’t rock the boat. Your chance will come again – next time be ready to grab it.

• Moreno

Nov 10, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Send him on a recall loan to one of the scottish teams like motherwell or kilmarnock, right near Glasgow and guarenteed to get a game. I think he forgets that he warmed the bench at Schalke for a long time before we took him on and before that he was decent in the SPL.

This is the premier league playing Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelsea week in week out and unfortunately I don’t think he has ever been good enough to perform consistently at this level.

Lovely bloke though.

• bkeena00

Nov 10, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Am not surprised to hear this news. He must feel a little hard done by to be down the pecking order at the moment. It can’t be fun warming the bench considering the performances he’s put in for us. Also lets no forget his Dad past away not so long ago. Something like that makes you re-evaluate things and oftens makes one want to spend more time with family.
    I’d be sorry to see him go, I think he’s been a legend for us, but I can also see why CH isn’t giving him much game time at the moment.

• cupiddstunt

Nov 10, 2010 at 1:44 PM

I think his statement is a good indication of the team spirit, instead of just griping about not getting enough play time to protect his international selection he has said he is a little homesick. Which is a very polite way of saying “I’m not happy stuck here on the bench”.

That allows Hoots to either give him bit more time on the park or help him move on to a place where he can get the play time to defend his international place, and all this can be done in the best of ways without people getting their knickers in a twist about the rights and wrongs of things.

Loverboy has done well for us and he deserves a little respect for that.

• Thump

Nov 10, 2010 at 1:47 PM

I’ll always remember the goal he scored after his dad passed. Still feel a lump in my throat just thinking about it.

He deserves a chance, but if he’s getting ready to spit the dummy out and stomp his foot then I think he needs to sit back and re-evaluate his mentality if possible. That said, this is the same man who signed for us late on in the window because (if reports were to be believed) he was holding out for a better offer elsewhere.

Wouldn’t mind seeing him deployed on the left, though. He proved last time out in the EPL that he could do a job for us there (3 goals, wasn’t it?)

• leedodd

Nov 10, 2010 at 1:53 PM

This Season he Hasn’t really shone !!!!!! Is He a Championship Player ?? He needs to Show Chris he can do the Job before Saying he is of !!!!! HE has a Lot of respect on Tyneside after Last Season he has to just keep with it as I am sure he will get a chance soon. Shola Won’t stay fit for Long as Per Usual !!! Yes he deserves His Chance Hang on Pete you will get it !!!!!!!!

• midlandstoon

Nov 10, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Good little player when he wants to be has great positioning but tends tp drift off. back uo for Guti on left. Anyone seen this story below http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/46586/QPR_to_rival_Toon_for_Norwegian_wing_wizard.aspx

• G

Nov 10, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Peter has been a decent player for us, but reading the wording of the statement, I think he is angling rather than demanding a move. He is trying to get a game for us, and I am informed he is one of the hardest grafters in training. If he wants a move he can have one with my blessing, but I would be happy for him to bide his time and wait for the opportunity to play for us in the prem.

• midlandstoon

Nov 10, 2010 at 2:00 PM

I agree G. lets face it he probably had similar game time last yr before the new year and scored a hat full in the closing stages of the season. He didnt look that bad against Chelsea and could have got a brace

• Thump

Nov 10, 2010 at 2:34 PM

Interesting midlandstoon, he could be good for the right wing but honestly I’d sooner make do with what we have and snatch up King Arfa at the end of the season.

• Gary

Nov 10, 2010 at 2:43 PM

he’s a quality player but life in today’s Premiership may be just too much for him. His goal scoring record is excellent though and although Ameobi is getting more starts and indeed goals (I can’t deny that), Peter has more skill in his little toe than dear old Shola.

Funny old game!

• RedMissionBells

Nov 10, 2010 at 2:50 PM

Currently we have several strikers, some of which I feel are not good enough.

Leon Best: Simply not good enough.
    Xisco: We should cash in on him before he leaves for nothing

Lovenkrand is pacey and scores goals. However, he is a small built and will lose pace as he gets older. It will be ideal to have a fast striker to compliment Ameobi , Ranger and Carroll. Gives us more options.

Shall we bring Obafami Martins back ?

• Angryman the Angry fan

Nov 10, 2010 at 2:53 PM

Any links for tonights game ladies???????

• paddy4nufc

Nov 10, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Hi all have been reading the site for some time, hope to start to contribute now.
    Further to Angryman, I’m in London tonight and wonder does anyone know a pub showing the match, especially in the Fulham area or nearby.
    Thanks for any help. Howay the lads!

• newcastle29

Nov 10, 2010 at 3:12 PM

check that link later and there should be quite a few!

• jesus was a geordie

Nov 10, 2010 at 3:13 PM

• jesus was a geordie

Nov 10, 2010 at 3:13 PM

There’s one there, but they usual have 4 or 5 different links by the time we kickoff!

• morand84

Nov 10, 2010 at 3:38 PM

As long as Ameobi and Carroll is playing good and gets the ball in the net Lovenkrands cannot expect to be in the start-up line. BUT I think it is a bad strategy not to use the 3 subs in the games. In a game like against Sunderland Chris could easily have put in some of the players which have been warming the bench. At some time or another we will run into injuries and we will then have a big problem. I think Chris is great, but if not i starts using his subs, we could have a terrible time with the many games in December and January!

• Irie-Magpie

Nov 10, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Loven is a decent striker for us, is only fault is that when he gets play time in the PL he doesn’t take his chances and that maybe whats letting him be a bench warmer, don’t shoot me here guys but Carrol and Shola are half decent, yes we’re being winning but they are slow and i think Carrol and Loven would be a better paring up front. When is Benny Back??

• GeordieGerman

Nov 10, 2010 at 5:21 PM

• Geordie Matriarch

Nov 10, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Have been waiting for this – he’s had hardly any airings, and it’s no wonder he isn’t specially good when he does get a game – vicious circle – no matches, so not match fit.
    Would be really sorry if he went – apart from being so grateful for his performances last season I have a feeling he would work well with Ben Arfa.

• neeraj

Nov 10, 2010 at 6:12 PM

Would always remember the WBA game when he scored after his father died.

And if he wants to move on, fair enough and I wish him luck and hope to see him play for Denmark in the near future

• DoctorZelig

Nov 11, 2010 at 1:09 AM

He says if a team like FC was interested, I’d certainly listen to what they have to say.

He is referering to FC Copenhagen, who plays in the Champions League, just drew against Barcelona, and he like most players wants to play in the Champions League if they get the chance.

Chris obviously does not regard Peter as a striker for his type of EPL team, which I respect but Peter is not a young player who can wait for their chance. If Chris does not want to use him than its only fair to let him leave for his home country. Its not like we paid a transfer sum for him.

I by the way think we miss the McLoven + Carroll this year. Mostly at St. James. Shola + Carroll is just to clumsy and slow. Ranger is not sharp enough in front of goal. I wish Chris would try last years home line up in the next game with Carroll and Loven up front.

• valle

Nov 11, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Half of you in here are talking bullsh*t… You would rather want players who are happy to sit on the bench and picking up their paychecks? Well then i know a spanish bloke called Marcelino you might wanna get out of retirement… He has done his bit for us, but now is is even after Nile Ranger who is lacking the composure to play in the EPL at his early age to put it mildly.

Have some respect for the players who have served us well, will you… Ungratefull tw*ts

• willowdalerez

Nov 23, 2010 at 5:41 AM

Saw this coming… I have routinely posted that Lovens should be getting a starting spot but CH sees things differently.

To my mind Lovens is more dynamic than Shola and still has more pace (maybe he won’t in a year ot two but he has it now). He also plays a transition game that pairs better w Carroll than Shola.

I’m sure Carroll’s goal tally would easily be 2-3 higher plus Lovens would have netted between 4-6 himself easily justifying his starts… but if we are not going to start him than we should let him go… He only has 2 maybe 3 good years left in him so let him make the most of them at a club that hs a use for his services.