Joey Barton To Phone Pedersen Today To Apologize

Joey Barton has said he will phone Blackburn’s Morten Gamst Pedersen today, to apologize for the punch he threw at him in the game on Wednesday night at St. James’ Park.

Joey Barton – will apologize personally to Pedersen

Joey has also said he will always have anger-management issues, and thinks he will be unable to change his ways too much, after he accepted a three-match ban for punching Blackburn’s Morten Gamst Pedersen.

The 28-year-old Newcastle midfielder  admitted today:

“Everyone knows I have anger issues and on the pitch people are going to test my temperament. I’m not a changed man because it’s who I am. It’s something inside me, a natural instinct that makes me stand and fight.”

“I just continue to work at it.””I’ll always be fighting to curb it and it’s a battle for me. I have these anger issues but I know that when it turns to rage, like it did against Blackburn, it is not acceptable.”

“It was a moment of stupidity from me. I shouldn’t have reacted like that even if it was slightly provoked. I can’t condone it and I deserve a ban. I am human but I have made a mistake I regret.”

People can change, and there are ways to get over your anger, and we have to hope that Joey is continuing to have some therapy on this.  Joey shouldn’t assume he’s going to be like he is now in the future, but the mind is very powerful and it usually likes to be right – so if he says it will not change – it will not.

If Joey thinks he will be able to overcome his demons, then  that could well come out to be true too.

We know Joey Barton is trying his very best to become a calmer person both on and off the field, and this will come as a set-back to him – but we know he’s going to keep doing his very best to overcome his demons.

We support Joey fully on that.

• wynsleap

Nov 12, 2010 at 11:54 AM

If Joey is indirectly saying that he doesn’t think he will ever change I’m afraid that is no use to the Club.
    We couldn’t afford both the regular bad publicity or playing bans if that were the case.
    I am sure Ashley will be thinking long and hard about this.

• lesh

Nov 12, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Wysleap @2…. I must admit, the thought of Ashley wanting to get rid of Joey crossed my mind too.

The problem I’ve got with this particular issue that I wonder whether the FA and media would have focussed on the so-called punch (look at Joey’s fist, it’s not fully clenched) had it not been Barton?

There have been other cases such as the tackle that took Bin Arfer out that they let go.

It’s a shame that this has happened and I’d like to think that Joey reflects, lives the regret he’s uttered and learns from it.

• BeeGuy

Nov 12, 2010 at 12:05 PM

I see two things here. First Joey recognizes his problem and is seeking help. When a problem is defined, then it can be addressed.
    Second, someone on the pitch or sidelines needs to be the one that sees Joey’s anger surfacing and either calms him down, intervenes before there is trouble or gets him off the pitch before he loses it.

There is no question in my mind that Joey can be wound up, and teams will use that as a way to distract him from play. IMHO, this is essentially abusing the handicapped. But the FA will never recognize that (that is probably the way they got to their current positions) and would be loathe to add instigation or taunting as a rule violation.

• toonie

Nov 12, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Morten Gamst Pedersen knew exactly what he was doing with his elbow as Barton approched. Barton was wrong to punch out and deserves his 3 day ban, but sould the smirking Pederson get off scot free?

• toonie

Nov 12, 2010 at 12:15 PM

Day = Match
    sould = should

Its early 🙂

• toonman

Nov 12, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Its a very fine line. Take the agression out of his play and we loose the great player (like whats happened with rooney in some way) but he needs some way of holding back before he takes it too far

• archaeomag

Nov 12, 2010 at 12:34 PM

@Toonie – I agree, I suspect Pig Sam primed Pedersen, he would know precisely what buttons to press for his former player; it’s a rough game- all fair in love, war and football!

• Moreno

Nov 12, 2010 at 2:55 PM

”for the punch he threw at him”

This is really starting to wind me up.