Joey Barton’s Statement Of Apology Full Of Remorse

Joey Barton has rightly issued a statement following his 3 game suspension for violent conduct, when he was seen to punch Morten Pedersen in the game against Blackburn on Wednesday evening.

Joey Barton – issues an apology – seems really sorry

There’s no way we can condone what Barton did on Wednesday night, but it’s still going to be blown way out of proportion, and will hardly help his seemingly honest attempt at changing his ways both on and off the field,  over the last couple of years.

This is Joey’s statement:

“I fully accept that I was in the wrong on this occasion and accept the charge that the FA have brought against me. I would like to apologize to Chris Hughton, my team-mates, our supporters and of course to Morten Gamst Pedersen and Blackburn Rovers.

“This season I have really been enjoying my football and although I have been on the receiving end of a few robust challenges, I have, up until now, remained calm in the face of provocation and just carried on with the game. But I hold my hands up; I reacted badly to the situation on Wednesday night and I deeply regret it.”

“I have been working very hard to keep that side of my game under control and I think it has showed in the way I have been able to get on and enjoy my football this season. I look forward to trying to get back into the team once my suspension is over and helping the club maintain its good start to the season.”

That’s an excellent statement from Joey in the circumstances, and as we said, he seems to be really trying to control his temper, but yes, he lost if for a few seconds against Blackburn and has paid the penalty.

Newcastle manager Chris Hughton seemed agitated when he told Sky Sports last night that these things happen in almost every game at weekends all over the country, and he thought  Joey’s case had been blowing way out of proportion, but did of course then say the midfielder’s conduct was unacceptable.

We accept the action taken by the FA, and it is of course disappointing to lose Joey for three games. He has worked so hard on his game this season, but he knows that he can’t react the way he did on Wednesday,”“I think he has progressed as a person. That’s the reason why I think he’ll be sorry and disappointed in effect he’s reacted the way he has,”

“ I can only comment on what I’ve seen of him for the period of time I’ve had him. He showed at Wolves away with extreme provocation,  that he’s able to maintain a certain discipline. unfortunately yesterday he did react. There was provocation.”

“It is because it’s Joey that there’s more made of it but we are conscious of how he has reacted and I know he’ll be very disappointed.” “Whichever way you want to look at it, even if you say there was little provocation, there was some provocation and he’s reacted. It was a wrong thing to do and he’ll be very disappointed he reacted there.”

This will only make teams in the future try to rile Joey up and further provoke him, and he’s got to be prepared for it, although the referees should also crack down on this, if it becomes obvious what they are trying to do.

It seems that Morten Pedersen did exactly that on Wednesday evening, and when he was hit by Joey, you would have thought Mike Tyson had just landed a right punch square on his chin.  These footballers are really wonderful actors these days.

One thing is for certain, Joey has shown this season he’s still a wonderful player, and it will be well worth it for Chris and the Newcastle United club, to keep helping Joey to get over his demons, and he’s been fairly successful at that – up until Wednesday evening.

We hope Joey can become a great player for Newcastle in the future, because there’s still a lot of time for him to do just that, and hopefully he will learn from this latest infraction.

• Panzermeyer

Nov 12, 2010 at 10:07 AM

He’s a good lad really. Got a problem with the red mist, but he’ll overcome it.

• Solaidback

Nov 12, 2010 at 10:17 AM

On the field of play, he’s no worse than say Rooney or Gerrard but because of his past problems, the refs, other players & especially the press will always blow any incident out of proportion if you ask me….

Yes he’s a frakin idiot for letting MGP get the better of him & it would be nice to see/hear what was said for him to react that way, especially after all the crap he took against Wolves & didn’t bat an eyelid, it reminds me of the Zidane incident when he headbutting that guy in the chest, why????

Anyways, I think he really wanted a rest, so decided to get banned instead of faining injury.. 🙂 lol

• roy cropper

Nov 12, 2010 at 10:17 AM

call that a punch ? joey must be getting soft in old age ! if your gonna – stick one – on the tossa the least you should be doing is slackening his top set.

very poor.

• Lynxie

Nov 12, 2010 at 10:29 AM

If you view the incident from the camera behind, look at the back of Pedersens shirt when Joey whacks him, it must have taken the wind right out of his sails. Also if you watch carefully, Pedersen was actually turning to look at Coloccini, and it was an accidental collision with Barton, who obviously thought it was on purpose. Having seen it a number of times, JB simply got the wrong end of the stick and gave him a ‘lung tester’, something which goes on in every game at every level. Joey was simply unfortunate that Pedersen is a huckle and couldnt take a slap off a child.
    It makes your piss boil when you see the likes of Gerrard (yes even him) / Henry / Catteremole / Mascherano / De Jong (shithouse of the highest order) / and other no marks kicking lumps out of people, and simply recieving a yellow card or less.
    Joey, you were wrong and you probably knew it immediately judging by your attempts to defuse the matter. End of.
    Just serve your time, and come back better. We are a better team with you, and dont forget it.

• bentoon

Nov 12, 2010 at 10:32 AM

“Everyone knows I have anger issues and on the pitch people are going to test my temperament,” Barton told the Daily Mail.

“I realise that. But people ask me, ‘Have you not changed?’ and I say, ‘No, this is me, I have this aggression in me and I’m trying to handle it’.

“I’m not a changed man because it’s who I am. It’s something inside me, a natural instinct that makes me stand and fight. I just continue to work at it.

“I’ll always be fighting to curb it and it’s a battle for me. I have these anger issues but I know that when it turns to rage, like it did against Blackburn, it is not acceptable.

“It was a moment of stupidity from me. I shouldn’t have reacted like that even if I was slightly provoked. I can’t condone it and I deserve a ban. I am human but I have made a mistake I regret.”

“Footballers are role models and I have always recognised that,” he added.

“But I’m not even a role model to myself. Drink was a big problem for me. That was one of the reasons I ended up in prison, and I can see more clearly now that I have abstained from it.

“As soon as it happened I was thinking, ‘Oh for ****’s sake. I can’t believe I’ve done that’.

“At the training ground I watched it with all the lads on television. I just turned to them and said, ‘That’s me out for three games’. I was obviously sorry.”

• arcarius

Nov 12, 2010 at 10:40 AM

No doubt what Barton did was stupid and unnecessary

BUT because he is Joey Barton, people will make a bigger fuss out of it more than anything else.

Unfair really. Looking forward to have you back soon Joey

• Solaidback

Nov 12, 2010 at 10:45 AM

Maybe if Barton is so full of anger & rage, he needs to release it, he should take up MMA or boxing, something that he can do which will teach him to control his rage & anger, he can always go to the gym after training, put a face photo of whoever wound him up on the kick bag & take the crap out of that instead of doing it on the field.. 🙂

• Obafan

Nov 12, 2010 at 11:07 AM

I think this is so unfair. I’m not talking about the fact that Barton reacted in a wrong way, cause he did that, but about the fact that some players make tackles and injure players maybe for the rest of their carreer and they cannot get banned becausde the ref didn’t see it

Well the ref didn’t see what Barton did, so what’s the difference???

On the other hand I’m quite disappointed Barton reacted that way, but how often does it happen in the current football world. A lot, but how many get banned after it; only the players who have got a “bad” name.

• Lynxie

Nov 12, 2010 at 11:18 AM

Bentoon (5) Great article nice one mate, good constructive reading.
    Just goes to show that Joey knows who he is, and is making constant strides to better himself. he is obviously very well liked and respected amongst the rest of the squad, and cant be all bad.
    ALSO: Dont believe all you read in the papers………….
    He will come back better from this, he is not a daft lad. How many of you lot reading this, had a pot of tea to celebrate winning the Fizzy pop league last year? Not me thats for sure. Joey and Smudger turned down an open bar (MA put a free bar on for the lads at Plymouth), and had a pot of tea each. Now if that is not an example of someone putting himself back on the right track I dont know what is. Cut him a bit of slack, and let him serve his pennance, he will be back.

• pearceet

Nov 12, 2010 at 11:28 AM

He;s not exactly going to give a sarcastic apology is he? he is always giving sincere apologies and he cant go on giving apologies if he is really sorry he would not do it again he needs to change or his career might be ruined

• Lynxie

Nov 12, 2010 at 11:34 AM

Apologising and continuing to be a prick is for tossers. It never stopped Dyer becoming a millionaire…….. Joey might have certain issues, but compared to the upstart Cattermole doen in Albania on Wear, he is a model professional. We need someone in midfield wwith fire in the belly, it just needs channelled correctly, and he is working hard at it. There have been times this season where you would have excused him levelling someone in retailiation (Wolves?), so give the lad a break man. What do you want, a team full of Hugo Viana’s?

• Darling27

S.Taylor
    Smith
    Guthrie
    Lovenkrands

• Brutooon

Nov 12, 2010 at 1:57 PM

to be fair with barton, every match he been a target for opponents. to control himself for the first 10-11 match is consider a good effort from a bad guy like him.

• davis_toons

Nov 12, 2010 at 3:15 PM

It is really his background. Growing up in this background is surly not easy for him.

You cant choose where you born but you can choose how you live life.

• davis_toons

Nov 12, 2010 at 3:18 PM

Growing in his background. Have taught him to be violent.

He will have to constantly remind himself to stay claim whenever there is a situation.

• davis_toons

Nov 12, 2010 at 3:23 PM

It is true that we needed someone in the midfield with “fire” and skills of course.

• davcon22

Nov 12, 2010 at 3:50 PM

What really f””ks me off is all the fuss about JB jabbing Pederson in the chest,(by the way i’ve seen better punches in a school play ground,and what a pussy Pederso is going down like he’d been shot)when De jong smashes Benni’s leg in various places and nothing is done.
    I’d love to see JB let loose on the blurts that decides who gets punished and who doesn’t.

• Dennis Twice

Nov 12, 2010 at 4:08 PM

Maybe boxing with Andy..i mean off field exe…

• eran

Nov 13, 2010 at 6:44 AM

Dennis are you crazy we want carrol alive and breathing..