Cheick Tiote Sends Money Home To Five Brothers, Three Sisters

Cheick Tiote, the Ivory Coast international, picked up his 5th booking of the season against Fulham on Saturday, and will have to sit out the important game at Bolton next Saturday afternoon.

Cheick Tiote – in action against Fulham on Saturday

Tiote looks to have been a fantastic signing for just £3.5M from Dutch club FC Twente in the summer, but he will need to learn how not to pick up so many yellow cards in the future, although there’s no way Chris Hughton is going to rein him in anytime soon.

Tiote gave a good interview with the Newcastle Evening Chronicle today:

“When I’m not playing I feel like a caged tiger.” “Already, I know that the Premier League is the place for me and Newcastle United suits me absolutely fine.”

“I hope to keep doing it for them.” “I think the Premier League suits my style of play too.” “It is physical and my game is to break up the play to win the ball for my team-mates.”

“It’s a great feeling to hear the supporters roar you on when you win a tackle.”  “That’s what I enjoy doing.” “You don’t have to be the most skilful player to be effective in football – everybody has different roles.”

Tiote is now with the Ivory Coast team, who will play Poland tomorrow night, and his team mates include Chelsea striker Didier Drogba and Manchester City brothers Yaya and Kolo Toure.

And Cheick has said the three of them persuaded him during last summer’s World Cup in South Africa, to come to the Premier League, which is of course well suited to his physical style of play.

Cheick continued:

“They speak French like me and we had a big conversation together after the World Cup.” “They said that I would be a hit in the Premier League.”

“I am 24 and I knew I needed to step up to La Liga or the Premier League, but they said this league would suit me the best.”

“There are big clubs like Real Madrid and Barcelona or Man United and Chelsea, but Newcastle is also a very big club. We have a lot of fans and a great stadium.”

But the most important thing Check said today – as far as we are concerned – is that his background was full of poverty back home in the Ivory Coast, and the midfielder is unwilling to forget what he has left behind, and he says that he still sends money back to his brothers and sisters.

Cheick continued:

“I still send cash to my five brothers and three sisters at home.”

Cheick has become an even bigger favorite of ours, after we have learned that.

He’s a good lad is Cheick, and we are so pleased he is now with Newcastle United.

• Thump

Nov 16, 2010 at 3:08 PM

“I still send cash to my five brothers and three sisters at home.”

This is probably one of the nicest things I’ve read a Newcastle player say.

But 5 brothers and 3 sisters? Bet his dad has a constant smile on his face 😉

• Toon Sweden77

Nov 16, 2010 at 3:37 PM

At least he had a great smile on his face, its not just as funny looking after those kids as “making them”..

• Thump

Nov 16, 2010 at 3:41 PM

I think his dad might disagree haha

• chuck

Nov 16, 2010 at 4:00 PM

Seems to be an African thing, talking bout the CD role, there are so many who excel in playing there.
    So far Tiote has looked decent in the ball winning role, but has to cut down on the number of unnecessary fouls (yeah I realize it goes with the territory)
    Not only that, he needs to develop a passing game plus the occasional shot on goal, in order to become the complete (Essien-Keane type) player.
    He certainly does`nt lack confidence and may in fact live up to those expectations.
    Given the time to adjust to the league and his new team mates, plus a bit of coaching we could end up with a great DM who could boss the side.
    Something we have lacked for some time.
    Keep watching !

• toonboyjake

Nov 16, 2010 at 4:08 PM

Im sorry chick mustve misread something there, did you say chieck tiote needs to develop a passing game????????
    Cant remeber where i saw it now, but i read that he has the highest pass and pass completion rate in the premier league at the moment, so if he can do that without a passing game he’ll make xavi look completely useless when he does start passing

• toonboyjake

Nov 16, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Chuck even, not chick

• CT

Nov 16, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Can somebody buy Cheik`s dad a TV or the poor lad`s gonna be skint!!

• estechco

Nov 16, 2010 at 4:31 PM

I wonder if any more of his siblings play footy?

• chuck

Nov 16, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Toonboyjake

When i said develop a passing game, I`m not talking about the safe short pass to someone who will then begin an attacking move.
    If you have been watching him play, so far it`s what he has done.
    What i am talking about is the vision to see the openings and have the ability to be creative in beginning a counter attack, something we have yet to see.
    Look i`m not knocking him, in fact i was delighted to see him arrive at St. James`s, is it too much to expect him to improve his game, by not only being a ball winner but someone who can basically run the side ?

• Thump

Nov 16, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Tioté is a defensive minded player, so of course he’s going to look for the safe pass rather than the long, risky one. He needs to learn just to put his boot through the ball to clear sometimes (ie: Blackburn) rather than try to play his way out of danger, but on the same note look at Colo and Bull who both play out of danger regularly.

• Brutooon

Nov 16, 2010 at 9:02 PM

his one week salary can support his family for a year 🙂

• Charlietoon

Nov 16, 2010 at 9:24 PM

I really like his style of play. Instead of hoofing it up the field and trading quick position for possession 9 times out of 10 he brings it close to the halfway line and passes it to the winger or it back to Colo to switch play. When he sees space he runs but he is probably mindful that with someone as dangerous as Nolan getting forward his job is to be the one at the back just in case

• Ciaran Thomas

Nov 16, 2010 at 11:51 PM

HAHAHAHAHAH CT,Dead funny !

• HOGC

Nov 17, 2010 at 2:42 PM

didnt you see the world class pass tiote crossed to carroll after he dummied kolscieny in the late stages of the arsenal game? it was pure class. he can do long range passing, probably hughton wants him to concentrate pon what he does best.

anyway, we have barton who is a really superb crosser and long ranger passer of the ball