Leon Best Definitely Wants To Stay At Newcastle

It seems that Newcastle’s  Leon Best doesn’t think he should be sent out on loan to try to reignite his career.

Leon Best – only wants to stay on Tyneside

Leon wants to stay on Tyneside and fight for his place in the Newcastle starting line-up but he will face lots of competition from Andy Carroll, Shola Ameobi, Peter Lovenkrands and Nile Ranger, to get a game.

Best has now returned to full training after an ankle injury, and played for the Reserves on Tuesday afternoon in the 1-0 win against Man City, and played the full game.

Leon has hard;ly had a good start to his Newcastle career since he was signed for around 1M from Coventry in January for around £1M, and he will need to show a lot better form if he is to have a future on Tyneside.

We had expected him to be sent out on loan to a Championship club soon,  but it seems that Leon doesn’t want to do that:

“Getting back playing is a massive boost for me,” “I want to bring the competition back for the strikers because if we are pushing each other, that is only going to benefit the team.”

“I’ve been out for so long it has been hard, but it feels fantastic to be back. I definitely want to stay here. I’ve been sent out on loan since I was 17 years old and I’m not interested in going out on loan again really.”

“I want to stay at Newcastle because I love it here and I want to help them do well. Whether that is from the bench, or starting games, whatever, I don’t mind.”

“I want to play, of course I do, but I love it here and I want to fight for my place here. I’ve got to wait for my chance and when it comes, make the most of it.”

Of course Leon needs to be given some time to regain his form, and if he’s not sent out on loan by Chris Hughton, then Chris will give the player every chance to prove he is a future Newcastle striker.

And we also have to remember the Nottingham-born player has only just turned 24, and has 13 appearances so far for the Magpies, so he still needs some time to prove himself.

• midlandstoon

Nov 18, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Not good enough IMO, Definitely Championship and not right to keep others out the team like Ranger. Ranger has come on a bit since he was injured. Even Andy and Shola have stepped up, dont think he has it in him

• G

Nov 18, 2010 at 10:57 AM

I have to disagree midlandstoon. LB has done everything right so far, apart from score a goal, his movement is good, his positioning is good, and but for some cracking goalkeeping he would have had that elusive first (competitive) goal for us. I would like to see him and AC play together, the way AC and Shola have played together recently, I think it could be an explosive partnership.

• midlandstoon

Nov 18, 2010 at 11:04 AM

G that was in Preseason , yes scored past PSV, but still not Premiership seriously doubt from what I have seen in the past that he will ignite the Prem. I believe that CH has seen this and thats why he wont be played ahead of ranger and Loverman but we will see

• G

Nov 18, 2010 at 11:16 AM

Not talking about preseason midlandstoon, talking about last season. He looked very good apart from one game where he had a stinker. Seriously, we need LB as cover for Shola, as lets face it, Shola is made of glass. LB will never be a 20 goals a season striker, but he links up play and finds space very well indeed.

• tynesidetommo

Nov 18, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Leon has shown a lot of pr0mise and could have got himself a bundle of goals for the Toon had he not been a victim of sod’s law. He’s had more near misses and shots off the woodwork than his critics have had hot dinners. Give the lad time. Once he finds the net in a black and white shirt I’m sure they will be chanting his name.

Detest the way we dismiss players just cos they aren’t an instant hit.

• Sav

Nov 18, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Swap him for Shane Long at Reading.

• Ciaran Thomas

Nov 18, 2010 at 11:48 AM

I agree G,Hes movement is great,hes got speed is great and how quick he is over 1o yards.I believe that he is better then Love boy,His hard work doesnt get rewarded in goals :(.

Hopefully we get to see him this weekend 🙂

• midlandstoon

Nov 18, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Well he needs to get his scoring touch back in the reserves so if he gts the nod he can show what he is capable of. That goes with xisco too

• midlandstoon

Nov 18, 2010 at 12:11 PM

172 stars and sub app
    40 goals
    15 assists
    1 in 4 games to goals ratio
    Of this in the Higher level i.e International, Championship and Premier League

120 Starts and Sub app with 21 goals

Jurys out

• wynsleap

Nov 18, 2010 at 12:12 PM

He’s been sent out on loan since he was 17.
    Doesn’t that say something?
    Nice sentiments re wanting to play for the Toon but just not good enough I think.

• midlandstoon

Nov 18, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Also sounds like, ill sit my contract out waiting for a chance rather than play football. Hope he raises his game and makes it you never know. look at bothroyd 28 and now starting to show promise

• kicho83

Nov 18, 2010 at 12:21 PM

He is definitely better than Lovenkrands, so he and Ranger should be reserve for Andy and Shola. And he is 24 and has future, Lovenkrands is 30…
    Regards from Macedonia

• midlandstoon

Nov 18, 2010 at 1:00 PM

loverkrands scored 13 goals from jan last year or something like that in the championship wouldnt say he is better, diff players

• kicho83

Nov 18, 2010 at 1:49 PM

I know that stats are on Lovenkrands side, but probably my choice is Best because he is younger and maybe it is better younger player to come from bench. That’s my opinion. Honestly, I don’t like Lovenkrands 🙂

• nuttyward

Nov 18, 2010 at 3:50 PM

i would like to see hime given a run in the team
    1 goal would boost his confidence, ive liked best since we signed him but he hasnt had the rub of the green and i think he has more to offer than loverman and ranger IMO .
    his possitioning and ariel threat can cause problems played

• G

Nov 18, 2010 at 4:40 PM

Midlands @ 9. Not sure where you got those stats mate, but just checked with Opta, and they have LB as the following (League only) 127 First Team appearances, 41 goals. Also has the same stats on wiki, although that also includes cup games and other (friendlies perhaps?). Anyway, one of us is wrong, and I don’t think it’s me, so lets just agree to disagree.

• chuck

Nov 18, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Seems to me we should respect any player with the ambition to make it in the top grade, with four or more players ahead of him.
    From the little we have seen of him so far , appeared to have decent skills and works hard for the side.
    Had he arrived from the continent (Chioke or BA)everyone would be prepared to await their adjustment to another league.
    Well Best has never played in the PL either and I believe he should be given the same opportunity as the others, why not ?
    As stated above Shola has proved to be injury prone, even a big tough guy like Carroll, can pick up injuries, in which case it would`nt hurt to have someone with something to prove, in reserve.
    Give him time in the reserves and then bring him on in the later stages as a sub. in order to get him match fit.
    Hey who knows, we never will until we give the lad a chance.