Fab Sorry For Sending Off – Steven And Sol May Be Better Than Me

It seems that Fabricio Coloccini is a realist if nothing else, and has today said he’s sorry for the sending off on Saturday.

Fabricio Coloccini tussles with Johan Elmander on Saturday

And he also thinks that the two center-backs standing in the wings at Newcastle,  who will deputize for him, can do as good and even better job than he’s done for the Newcastle team.

There’s some honesty for you.

This is what Fabricio Coloccini said today about his sending off:

“I apologized to my team-mates – that is normal.” “I am sorry for everybody, but now we have to move on.”

“It was a red card, but it wasn’t with my elbow – but it was the same, because it was my arm.” “It was a red card. It’s disappointing, although I can’t do anything about it now.”

“The next time, I know I can’t do it.”

Fabricio has been outstanding for Newcastle this season, but looked in poor form on Saturday against the big and physical Johan Elmander, who seems to have become a much better player under Owen Coyle and now has 8 goals in the Premier League , and he used to find goals difficult to come by.

Colo will now miss the next three games which are difficult games against Chelsea and Liverpool at home – and the away game at fellow promotion side WBA, who we usually do well against – usually.

Fabricio continued:

“It’s finished, and I have to think of another game.” “It’s difficult for me, but I have to learn.”  “That’s important. I can’t do it again.” “There are a lot of games, and I have to continue to work and try to be better on the pitch.”

“Here we have good players.” “Sol and Steven have a lot of experience, and they can do it the same or better than me.”  “It’s a mistake – it’s not a drama.” “It’s a mistake, and I have to learn – no more than that.”

It will be a big chance for one of the back-up center-backs and we have to think Sol Campbell will get the nod on Sunday, as he came on for Fab on Saturday and is the experience Newcastle may just need at the back to stop the mistakes that are being made.

It will be very interesting to see how Sol plays on Sunday, but in last week’s Reserve game against Man City he looked majestic at the back, and seemed to be ready for a first team chance – which he will now get on Sunday.

• i Toon

Nov 22, 2010 at 2:32 PM

22 goals scored only 4 teams in the league scored more. 21 goals allowed 14 teams in the league has less goals allowed which means the problem got to be the back line what you think guys ???

• ballerfan2

Nov 22, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Although I see where you’re coming from, 11 of those goals came in 2 games which means that goals have been in much shorter supply elsewhere. My own feeling is that Williamson needs a respite from the constant challenges anyway. I like Collo and he may be missed but it does give Campbell and Taylor an opportunity and quite honestly that appears a pretty solid pair to me – might even prove stronger than Collo/Willo who have been getting all the plaudits so far but have looked increasingly vulnerable.

• partizanovec

Nov 22, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Midfield is the key. If defence is exposed as in Bolton we will keep conceding goals. Hardwork is required in front of back four, covering and running.

• Davies

Nov 22, 2010 at 3:09 PM

We really missed Tiote and Barton on Saturday. I don’t necessarily say that we would have won if they’d been in, Bolton are in good form at the moment, but I doubt we’d have leaked five and I doubt very much that Colo would have been put in the position he was for the sending off.

It’s good that we have the experience we do in Campbell and Taylor. I wouldn’t be surprised if the both get the nod on Saturday.

• tjshawsey

Nov 22, 2010 at 3:57 PM

I think that the defence needs to be more consistant. Look at them individually, and sure the back 4 are strong. But together they make too many mistakes. Simple things like not getting rid of the ball, trying to pass it out and getting caught. So I don’t think its as bad as everybody thinks, but consequently concedes far too many goals. Hopeful CH has realised this and will try to stamp it out.
    On another note, does anyone think that chris is telling the truth when he says he wont be bringing in any players in january? I hope he:
    -Makes Ben Arfa’s loan permanent
    -Brings in 2 or 3 young players who would be good enough to play when we have injuries (a LB, Winger etc). What do you guys think?

• Thump

Nov 22, 2010 at 4:01 PM

It could be that it’s because of King Arfa that he may not be bringing in any new faces.

Either way, I don’t believe him. He’s lied in the past so people will take attention away from NUFCs dealings (fairly certain everybody is onto him now, though) so why should this time be any different?

We do need cover for LB and a decent RW (even if he just gives Routledge the playing time) and if he can’t see that, he’s blind or working with his hands tied.

• tomlkier

Nov 22, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Kadar can be used as cover for Enrique.

I’d like to see the Arfa deal made permanent, I wouldn’t mind not signing anyone else if we got him permanently. Gosling is essentially a January signing, so his return will strengthen the squad as well.

• mattnufc

Nov 22, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Yeh we have Kadar for LB. We look like we need cover on the wings and, if Carroll is injured, up front. Think we only need to sign a top class striker in January, as Gosling and Ben Arfa will both be coming back.

• Geordiedoonsooth

Nov 22, 2010 at 4:37 PM

CH HAS TO PLAY Steve Taylor & Campbell against Chelsea I think that these two are our best CB pairing.

• dave 1961

Nov 22, 2010 at 5:05 PM

i have just sent this to the fa

Dear sirs under the freedom of information act could you please supply the following information.
    1. how many times have you investigated the actions of players, that have been missed by officials
    In 2008, 2009, and up to 20/11/2010.
    2. What were the penalties imposed by the fa.
    3. How does the fa distinguish what warrants investigation of an incident missed by the referee?
    4. Why does the fa not investigate blatant cheating when player fain injury to get opponents booked or sent off?

• G

Nov 22, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Reading the blog for the last couple of days has been a weird experience. 2 days ago hardly anybody had anything good to say about S Taylor, now everybody is demanding his immediate return to first team duties. Proof as ever, that there is nothing quite as fickle as a toon fan! I for one, hope think there hasn’t been much done wrong by either Colo or Wilo, and hopefully an enforced rest will do them both the world of good. Common sense would dictate that the line up for Chelsea will no doubt have both S Taylor and Sol Campbell, and I welcome the competition. More centre havles battling for 2 starting births can only be a good thing in my opinion.

• GeordieGerman

Nov 22, 2010 at 5:13 PM

I hope that the “no new players in January” is again a smoke screen. Because dead honest, Colo, Williamson and Nolan look Knackered and Jones, Andy and the Bull seem to be tiring.

• BeeGuy

Nov 22, 2010 at 6:02 PM

What made me so sad Saturday was that only Colo & Elmander were in the picture as Elmander out fought Colo or the ball on the 4th goal. Where was the DM Smith? Where was the RW Routledge? Where was the referee to stop the wrestling match and give one or the other team a free kick? Everybody too tired?

• GeordieGerman

Nov 22, 2010 at 6:11 PM

*j+Jones = Jonas

• GeordieGerman

Nov 22, 2010 at 6:12 PM

*Jones = Jonas.

Jeez av only had one beer.

• chuck

Nov 22, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Might be better than Colo. and Williamson ?
    I would take Taylor in a heartbeat over Willo.
    any day in the week.
    As for Campbell and Colo, now he`s 35 it`s close, but in his prime, no comparison, Campbell was far the better player.

• spanishtoon

Nov 22, 2010 at 10:49 PM

Colo got a bit of stick here in Spain whilst he was at Depor and Atleti Madrid but he’s really come into his own in Newcastle, actually think they year in the Championship was great for him

I think the premier league to take each case as an individual incident. Thats what theyve done here, sure they’d probably say that they made a mistake on the de jong incident but hey…

great piece on the toon here,
    “breaking news: no news on Tyneside”