The Newcastle manager has today come out and said that it was an unfortunate altercation between Mike Williamson and Elmander on Saturday, but that it was a reaction to what the 6’4″ Swedish striker had been doing before the body check by Mike, that left Elmander apparently unconscious.
Johan Elmander – this big strapping lad knocked out by body check?
Fabricio Coloccini is already out for three games after being sent off at the Reebok Stadium, and it looks very much like Mike will also get a three match suspension, so we suppose the good news is that it at least gives a big chance to Sol Campbell and Steven Taylor, to show what they can do, but neither has started for the side this season in the league.
Cheick Tiote will be back against Chelsea on Sunday (good), after serving his one match ban for picking up 5 yellow cards, but Joey Barton will not be back until the next game, which is a tough one at WBA.
This is what Chris said about Mike’s altercation with the big strapping Swede on Saturday:
“It was a silly action by Mike, but I think it was the frustration of some five minutes before that when Johan Elmander pulled him down,”“It’s there for everybody to see, he shouldn’t have got involved. But what it was, was a body check and no more than that.”
“It was a reaction to Elmander pulling him – it was a yellow card.” “The charge is the last thing we need at the moment with Colo missing the next three games.” “But I can’t what defend what Colo did. We have to accept the ban, and get on with it.”
It will be a big test for Sol and Steven to come in and help right the ship for Newcastle, but both lads are very experienced, and they will see this as their big chance to put their claims forward for a starting place from now on.
And Chris again talked about last night’s charge made against the likable Mike Williamson:
“We could have done without the charge,” “f you look at Mike and Colo’s record, they aren’t players who pick up a lot of bookings.”
“We’re going through a period where Joey Barton’s banned, and Colo’s out for three games. It’s a concern, absolutely.”
“We have to make sure we focus on winning football matches. We’ve got a small squad, and we need to have as many players available as possible. It’s affecting the squad.”
Apparently the three year deal offered to Mike that was reported yesterday, has yet to be signed, and reports suggest Newcastle have quickly offered Mike an improved contract on Tyneside, after the reports that Spurs were looking to bid for him in January.
Mike has been a wonderful buy for the club, and he seems just a smashing lad, and we look to the Stoke-on-Trent born player to still improve his game, as he gets more and more Premier League experience under his belt.