The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Cheick Tiote The Big Difference For Newcastle Yesterday

12:59 pm, Monday, November 29th, 2010 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 6 Comments

The one big difference in the Newcastle side from last week was Cheick Tiote, who stamped his mark on the game yesterday, from the very first minute of the game.

Cheick Tiote challenges fellow Ivorian Didier Drogba

The 24 year-old was all over the place for Newcastle, and put in some biting tackles and his play is so well suited to the Premier League, that he’s already one of Newcastle’s best players so far this season.

He did however pick up his 6th yellow card of the season yesterday, on his return from serving a one match ban for his 5th yellow card.

Cheick, who is not surprisingly becoming a very big favorite on Tyneside, told the Evening Chronicle today that he will maintain his competitive play for Newcastle :

“I don’t want to change – it’s my football.” “I have to be careful about silly bookings, but I don’t want to change.”

“If I change, then I am killing myself.”“This is my style and if I do have to change, I might as well go back to Holland!”  (no don’t do that!).

“For me, it’s a good result, because Chelsea are a big club. They were playing to win the game, and draw is a good result for us.”

Tiote was playing against two of his Ivory Coast team-mates in Didier Drogba and Salomon Kalou, and he had many tussles with the great Drogba.

But his presence in the Newcastle side seemed to transform the side from what it was last weekend, and he provided the springboard for our players to move forward.

And the lads did that with great aplomb, especially in those first 20 minutes or so, before Chelsea woke up – or was it that they warmed up?

Make sure you register your vote for your Man of the Match – with Cheick slightly ahead of Jose Enrique right now.

Tags: Cheick Tiote · Newcastle News

6 responses so far ↓

• 1 spanishtoon // Nov 29, 2010 at 1:14 PM

I’m concerned that tiote will go very quickly – bassong style. he’s a great great footballer

huge game tonight in the SPL – the clasico! what?

• 2 Robbanufc // Nov 29, 2010 at 2:05 PM

Tiote is a class act! I rate him with AC, BBB and Jose Enrique! The best players we’ve got!

• 3 arcarius // Nov 29, 2010 at 3:09 PM

@Robbanufc

Who the hell is BBB :lol:
    I’m assuming its Ben Arfa

• 4 Sav // Nov 29, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Our first eleven is a decent side but when the likes of Barton or Tiote is missing we do suffer badly. The key to keeping Tiote ( or Carroll) is to improve the squad so we can start to make progress. Hopefully, if we survive this season, Ashley will reinvest in the summer. But I won’t be betting the wife and kids on it.

• 5 Sav // Nov 29, 2010 at 3:50 PM

When we have our best 11 out, we are a good side but if Barton, Tiote or Carroll are out, we are in trouble. With Joey we could have won yesterday but the difference between him and guthrie was the difference which had us hanging on at the end.
    The key to keeping Tiote and Carroll (our 2 most valued players?) is for Ashley to reinvest in the summer, assuming we don’t fall off the rails this season. Improve the squad a bit more and we could be challenging for something.

• 6 GeordieMeerkat // Nov 29, 2010 at 4:12 PM

If we can keep improving the side to the point where we’re regular European competitors again then we’ll keep our better players unless a mega club want to add them to their first team.

There is absolutely no way the likes of Carroll or Tiote will go to Chelsea, Man U or anyone else to sit on the bench if we are competing at a good level and continue to have a positive atmosphere around the club. That will also help us get players looking to prove themselves to the footballing world and not just their bank managers.

previous post: Many Many Positives From The Game Against Chelsea