England’s Humiliation – We Got Only Two Votes

News breaking today is that England were nowhere near getting the 2018 World Cup, and in fact were the country eliminated in the first round.

These Three Lions couldn’t pull it off for England

And the shocking news is that England picked up only two votes in the first round, and were immediately eliminated.

This is an unbelievable slap in the face for England, and may reflect all the hullabaloo that was consistently  going on in the English gossip press, with revelations of corruption amongst the FIFA officials themselves.

The voters should be asked why they didn’t vote for England, so at least we can learn for future bids, and whether it’s even worth putting in future bids.

The voting for the first round for 2018 was as follows:

Russia 9, Spain-Portugal 7 Belgium-Netherlands 4 and England 2.

In the second round the two England votes were picked up by Russia and they also got two votes that defected from Belgium-Netherlands.

The round 2 vote was as follows:

Russia 13 Spain-Portugal 7 Belgium-Netherlands 2.

And that was it – Russia won it – and rather easily too.   The voting continued until the first country got a majority of 12 or more votes.

But it’s becoming obvious to us that the countries to host the World Cup are selected, not for how good their bid is, but by how much it will expand the game of football world-wide.

If you think of it in that way, then it will be difficult for England to get the World Cup anytime soon, because England hardly needs any help to make their football more popular – do they?

But one country did even worse than England in the voting, because for the 2022 vote, Australia picked up just one vote in the first round – and they were the favorites?

It seems the US at least got through to the second round for the 2022 tournament.

• Jarra Mag

Dec 2, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Can anyone confirm how much money the Premiership donates to overseas football? From memory it runs into the millions per annum. Seems to me that they are gracious when accepting freebies and handouts, but do not reciprocate. According to the latest reports, we only got one foreign vote in the bidding – from our grand total of two votes – always assuming we actually vorted for ourselves? Seems to me the Premiership money would be better spent at home, on grass roots / non league football. I’m not bitter about it – I won’t see a world cup in this country in my lifetime so I fail to see why we shoud be making any investment in overseas players.
    OK, I am bitter. Johnny Foreigner hits out again. This was never about the best bid, it was all about “anyone but England”.
    How about a cap on foreign import players – that would be a kick in the teeth for the foreign Football Associations since the slice of the transfer fees paid would nomally filter down throughout their national associations.
    Can’t wait for the character assassinations that will now take place on those who voted for Russia and the other one in 2022 in Quartermass. Jack Warner is bound to get it – couldn’t happen to a nicer person.

• estechco

Dec 2, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Or from a different perspective, perhaps our (alleged) ‘bungs’ were least forthcoming?

• mattnufc

Dec 2, 2010 at 5:26 PM

What a load of shit, what more could we have done. I could have accepted 2nd and maybe even 3rd if it was close, but 4th and with 2 points…wtf.

• Dude

Dec 2, 2010 at 5:29 PM

What a laugh. Out in R1, even Audley Harrison made it to R3. I think the only scandal is that Qatar got 2022. What a joke, if I were an Aussie I’d be crying into my Fosters.

• Jarra Mag

Dec 2, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Strongly suggest read this article. It explains why we didn’t win – and won’t win in future.

• bkeena00

Dec 2, 2010 at 5:44 PM

I’m not from England, but I hope you won’t mind if I offer a more rational opinion. I think fans of the Premier League, the world over, would be delighted to see the World Cup in England, but FIFA and others think it’s not worth the hassle having to deal with the English media. I really believe your press are your worst enemies! I live in Ireland and personally would have been delighted to see the world cup in England. Certainly a shorter trip than to Russia. Not that I expect Ireland to be there anyway.

• G

Dec 2, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Thanks for the neutral perspective bkeena00 @ post 6. It’s deffo worth thinking about, although personally, I would much rather deal with the British press, than the Russian mafia, a practically ungovernable country with the biggest alcohol problem in the world, the least stable economy in the Northern Hemisphere (anybody thinking of going, take US Dollars), and a free chance to catch HIV / Aids from the prostitute of choice that hang round in every single hotel in Moscow. Frankly, I would much rather of lost to Spain / Portugal or Holland / Belgium.

• paddyq

Dec 2, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Dude…I am an aussie, and I certainly wish I had a fosters to cry into. I mean seriously, Qatar? A country of 1.6million people, a football team ranked 113th in the world that has NEVER qualified for a world cup, 11,000sq km land mass, I could go on here forever. I mean we are hardly world beaters but I mean, seriously? One effing vote? I am livid! We would put on a world cup worth watching, whearas the WC in the bubble-dome planet they will create in qatar……
    oh and bad luck to the poms about 2018, must say I was surprised to see Russia win so clearly….

• G

Dec 2, 2010 at 6:54 PM

paddyq, I reckon a world cup in your neck of the woods would have been bloody brilliant mate. Am as devastated for you, as I am for our bid. Perhaps England / Australia should register a joint hosting bid in the future… that would confuse the hell out of the TV fixtures bods!

• kajman

Dec 2, 2010 at 7:18 PM

the uk give millions in handouts to other nations football development we should just stop our hand outs,,simple then see if they come running

• cyprus

Dec 2, 2010 at 7:31 PM

What’s all this about handouts? I think you are misinformed. And why not give the world cup to Qatar? Give them a chance lads. G wins the prize for most bigoted remarks. Finally, to the aussie dude, isn’t Australia like 112th in the world?!

• Toonboy_84

Dec 2, 2010 at 7:39 PM

corrupt! That is all I’ve got to say on this matter.

• spanishtoon

Dec 2, 2010 at 7:52 PM

They deserve each other totally…good piece on it http://wp.me/p1cykJ-3G
    If ever two entities were similar its Russia and FIFA

• dave 1961

Dec 2, 2010 at 8:03 PM

ha, ha, ha, I warned those scum bags at the fa that I was in contact with all but 4 of the fifa delegates, and I had gathered articles on dirty deed’s the brit’s had done on their countries, then a dossier on the re-emergence of football hooligans in England, then finally I sent a great dossier on British colonialism in the 18th -20th century’s. i must add lots of works of fiction but I hid the fiction in amongst facts, although I can’t claim to have ball’sed up England’s bid I am sure I at least put a doubt in some minds.

• G

Dec 2, 2010 at 8:05 PM

Cyprus at 11, clearly you have never been to Moscow, I have. You may think my post is bigoted, but seriously mate, take a trip there, then call me a bigot. I stand by every statement made.

• dave 1961

Dec 2, 2010 at 8:09 PM

on a different note who thinks the dinosaurs at the fa have now had their day and it’s time for a change in direction, with a new Footballing administration with elected officials, the old boys club should be made redundant, and the self appointed old rinckly’s time to get measured up for their coffins.

• Toon XI

Dec 2, 2010 at 8:11 PM

Sorry Cyprus, but the air conditioned stadiums of Qater are a joke. Seriously? Do you think they earned the world cup? Do you think the Cup belongs in an air conditioned environment?

Don’t even get me started on Russia winning…the crime and corruption there is beyond anything we saw and will see in South Africa and Brazil. How many matches do you think the Russians will fix at that Cup? Russia is assured a spot in the Semi-finals in 2018.

• cyprus

Dec 2, 2010 at 8:19 PM

G since we obviously share a passion (NUFC) I’m not cross with you. I just think other countries should be given a chance, maybe given the spotlight this will force them to straighten their act. You got me on the Russia visit, I’ve been to 31 countries but not there. The one thing I’ve found, it’s easy to criticise countries, including mine (England and Cyprus).

• Toon XI

Dec 2, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Cyprus,

I agree with countries being given a chance and cleaning up their act. But to reward them before their act is cleaned up is crazy. What incentive do they have now to get their %^*& straight? Heck, we just gave them a pat on the back and the reward of the world cup. I’m not saying England should have the 2018 cup. I am saying that Russia and Qatar back to back seems like complete insanity.

• cyprus

Dec 2, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Toon XI, what do you mean ‘earned’? Are you insinuating that they bought it?? Of course they did. Do you think Chelsea earned the PL? They bought it too via a guy who bought a business for 40 million and woke up a month later seating on a billion dollar company. Money makes the world go round. Did England earn the multiple Olympics and the WCup? No, they had the money to build the facilities when others didn’t. Let them have their turn. By the way, I’ve heard from a high ranking local FIFA official that Cyprus will be bidding for the 2038 WCup. Please support us. Donations welcome.

• Toon XI

Dec 2, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Seeing the WC in air conditioned domed stadium doesn’t sound like fun to me. It doesn’t seem proper. Sort of sterile and fake.

Should I make my donation to you or directly to the FIFA voting member? 😉

• cyprus

Dec 2, 2010 at 8:40 PM

I’ll send you my bank details… I’ll use the money to help develop the local stadia. And, sorry to the aussie NUFC comrade, I’d rather watch football during the day than 3 am! Just kidding man. Tough luck

• G

Dec 2, 2010 at 8:40 PM

Cyprus, not having a bite mate, I just feel I can justify my comments. With regard to the corruption, its as prevalent for all to see as it was in the 90’s if we want to be topical. In terms of hosting, I can’t feel there’s a bit of Eurovision going on too, with everybody voting against us for political reasons (Sunday Mail / Panorama / Brummies?) and not necessarily voting the strongest (Spain / Portugal if I’m honest) bid. As for your country Cyprus, I spent 3 very happy years there in the early 90’s at a place called Ayios Nicolios just up the road from Napa, and I have very fond memories indeed. For what its worth, I would love to see a world cup there.

• cyprus

Dec 2, 2010 at 8:48 PM

Thanks for the vote of confidence G. In truth we’ll be ready by the next… millenium. We’ve got some more squabbling to do with our neighbours the Turks for the next hundred years or so first. I’m not sure I know the place you refer to, is it AyNic, the bases? And given our recent summers, we’ll need airconditioned stadia as well to host the cup!

• israeli_fan

Dec 2, 2010 at 8:53 PM

I suprised that none of you saw Ashley Cole’s kick at Shola on 40 minutes… How come the FA not investigating it?!?!

Disgrace

• Charlietoon

Dec 2, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Hey Ed!

I’m glad it makes you feel better that Australia did even worse but pull your head out as we were not the favourites. Not only did our home vote get wiped out because we didn’t have an oceania rep but USA were ranked number one for for financial return and we were ranked last. Favourites?? Where did you pull that from??

At the end of the day if we had our home vote we’d have got two just like the English….and we are not the “home of football”.

Talk about Australia in the same tone you talk about Sunderland again and I’ll be off as it is not the Geordie talk I come here for

• Charlietoon

Dec 2, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Paddyq I think an Aussie world cup would be awesome for us but everyone else in the world would have to get up at 2am so they might not like it too much LOL

Apparently Qatar is going to build all new air conditioned stadiums and the after the cup dismantle them and ship them to poorer countries…..thats pretty good marketing if you ask me.

• israeli_fan

Dec 2, 2010 at 8:59 PM

I know Israel probably won’t qualify to the world cup, but still, it’s impossible to enter Qatar with an Israeli passport… Great choice FIFA!

• G

Dec 2, 2010 at 9:00 PM

@ post 24. Yes, it is AyNik, was 9 Signal Regiment then, I believe it is now known as JSSU Cyprus. Thought all the stuff with the Turks was calming down a bit these days? Oh well, I just cant think of a better place to celebrate winning a match than in the square in Napa, then off to Sosti’s for a kebab… happy days!

• Thump

Dec 2, 2010 at 9:01 PM

I’d love to see Cyprus or Australia get the WC (less so Australia – no offence, Aussie’s but the time difference alone is enough to put me off… plus the sheer prices of plane tickets!) tbh.

I don’t understand Qatar at all, outside of FM I’ve never heard of them!

• cyprus

Dec 2, 2010 at 9:04 PM

Charlietoon, get of your patriotic high horse man. I’m trying to understand why you come here mate. If you don’t come for Geordie talk, why do you come? That’s what you’ll get here. Speaking of Geordie talk, I do hope we beat WBA on Sunday. Prediction: 0-2, unlikely scorers as AC will be closely marked: Jonas and Campbell

• gorskino10

Dec 2, 2010 at 9:12 PM

End of the day it was done on WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE, in Qatar and Russia they need to do EVERYTHING from stadiums to transport which FIFA love to approve because they love saying we “revolutionised the sport of football in …… country) in the UK and USA we had everything already there so thats the big reason.

• tom tomb

Dec 2, 2010 at 9:15 PM

We are the most unpopular country in the world (with USA). Look at that daft eurovision we are hated. A lot of it has to do with the politics I think, for us being humiliated-again. Afghanistan,Iraq etc, taking that into account, it still makes me wonder why its the most popular country with Oz to come to to live!

• cyprus

Dec 2, 2010 at 9:19 PM

On a final note before checking out for the night. Israeli fan, get a TV man, no need to go to Qatar, don’t think they really want you there. Thanks also to Thump for the vote of confidence. Football is improving here gradually, with teams in the champs league in the past couple of years. A certain Lua Lua is playing in a local team, hope he does well. A certain Ketsbaya lives here as well, also Niky Papavassiliou is a local coach, he played a couple of games for NU. Fingers crossed for next game, it’s really going to shape our season: Do we look upwards or downwards?

• Whitecap

Dec 2, 2010 at 9:30 PM

It’s funny because the only people who thought England, Australia or the USA would win were England, Australia and the USA.

I’m looking forward to Russia and Qatar. I like to see the World Cup actually live up to its name and be the World’s Cup.

Anyway, it’s not who hosts that is important. It is who wins.

• Solaidback

Dec 2, 2010 at 9:34 PM

I’ve said it once & I’ll say it again, as long as Sepp Bloater is in power, then England won’t get to host anything, the guys hates us, he hates our football, he hates our teams because our league is the best in the world & he doesn’t like that, so he turned everyone else against us!!!

Cyprus – how can you live in Cyprus & not know where AyNik is.. tut tut tut… I’m guessing you’re a civvie not military over here then?? I have asked before where you’re from but you haven’t said or I haven’t seen your reply!!!

• g_lish

Dec 2, 2010 at 10:30 PM

This isn’t sour grapes as I would rather see Newcastle win a corner kick than England lift the world cup…… but look at the 2 winners….

Russia, corrupt and a bid backed by Abramovich and his cronies…bung? Unless things really change i predict muggings, robberies, murders etc and I wont be going anywhere near the place.

Then we have Qatar, sitting on billions of gallons of oil and battling with the big boys of UAE and Saudi etc. … Bung? How can you hold a world cup in 50 degree heat in a country where you’re not allowed to drink alcohol in public?

Its not worth bidding while these practices are going on…

• Moreno

Dec 2, 2010 at 11:24 PM

How can people not expect this??? Football isn’t about passion, sportsmanship or pride. If it was we would have won. It’s about money (look at out best English player for example – Wayne Rooney) and politics.
    People are dreaming if they think we lost because Russia have binges everyone, there are a lot of men of integrity on the panel and only one voted for us.
    The BBC and brummie fans scrapping obviously didn’t help, let’s be honest though, when it cones to popularity contests, us and the Americans are never going to win anything!

• Moreno

Dec 2, 2010 at 11:29 PM

@ whitecap

Erm, yes it is about who hosts it as we are going through the worst recession for decades and the effect on the economy would be monumental…

Aparantly the Qatar 2022 world cup is going to be like Rambo 3 where the places have to don camels and the ball is a dead sheep. The losers get publically executed

• CT

Dec 3, 2010 at 12:25 AM

Who on earth gives a shit, my only focus is WBA? as shud be yours. 3 points, the league looks for different us, but? Barton n Tiote .Should make the difference!