Pardew Brief Is To Consolidate And Stay In Premier League

Alan Pardew has given a press conference today, and it’s good to get out to the fans what he said, so we can all start to get some idea of what the man is like, and how he operates.

Alan Pardew – at press conference today

This is some of what Alan said today:

“I’ve had a lot of texts from manger saying ‘you must be mad going there’ because it is such a tough agenda, with the history of the ownership and the managers, but it is a massive club,”“It is a huge club, one of the top five in the country I would suggest.” “And I would never be able to live with myself if I didn’t take it on and get the best possible contract I could for myself.”

“The longevity of it will hopefully allow me to grow this club.” “The chance of being manger here was something I couldn’t turn down.”

“Having said that with the history of managers coming and going here I wanted to be tough on the length on the contract to try and give myself as much stability at a club where they haven’t had stability of managers.”

“I don’t think it is going to be a PR battle because I don’t think I’m going to win a PR battle. The battles I need to win are on the pitch.” “I understood all that was going to happen if I was going to take the job.”

“That was quite a daunting prospect but when you see this stadium on the hill in the middle of the town it is something else.”

Alan was right not to turn the job down, because it’s a massive opportunity for the man – just like it was for Chris Hughton, and Chris took it with both hands, and now his peer managers are praising him and waxing lyrical about the man.

His resume (CV) as a manager  is there for all to see.

So Chris will soon land on his feet,  and he will be handsomely rewarded for the fantastic job he did for Newcastle United – just not at Newcastle.

Pardew says there is immediate and massive pressure on him to produce the goods (that’s good), but just as Chris used to say, the main goal is to stay in the Premier league for next season.

This is how Alan talked about what his brief for the club is – at least for this season:

“The brief for me is to consolidate and stay in the division,” “But there is an opportunity in the Premiership and certainly since I have been out of work I have watched a lot of Premier League football and the squads are so close.”

“The spirit and the unity of a team could propel you high up the table. “We are currently 11th and that is an extremely good position for a team that has been promoted but we have to kick on.”

“I know the fans are frustrated but I just hope they channel it into supporting the team on Saturday.”

Just let me expand on that last point.

Alan is not in a good situation at the club right now, to say the least, but it’s also not his fault what Mike Ashley has done this week, but Alan is now manager of Newcastle, whether we like it or not, and I for one will be supporting him.

We’ve had articles this week that have blasted him, or to be more accurate his record in football, but now that he’s our manager that’s it – it’s over – he’s part of the Newcastle club now, and if he is successful, the club is successful – forget about Mike Ashley.

I’ve supported every manager we’ve ever had, and certainly since I started this blog in April, 2007, and I will continue to do so – and if Donald Duck was manager I’d probably support him too.

My aim is to see Newcastle great again in my lifetime,   just as the lads were in the 1950s when my father traveled to every single game to see them play and when they won the FA Cup 3 times in a short 5 years, from 1951 until 1955.

In fact I remember at my father’s funeral in 1999, when his life  story was being read out about what he had done, and it was stated very forcefully he was always a big fan of Newcastle United all his life. The apple does not fall far from the tree.

My father and mother were at the 1955 FA Cup final, when we took Manchester City apart 3-1, and a certain Jackie Milburn scored in the first minute – and from a header too – and I saw the game on TV, and was 10 at the time.

Every Newcastle fan can do what they think fit, it’s a free country, and it’s not my role to criticize any fan, but I’ll be supporting the club, make no mistake about that.

And yes, it doesn’t look good that the team can become great anytime soon, but I continue to live in hope.

• Tjodalf

Dec 9, 2010 at 7:15 PM

I will also support Pardew, and hope he can win the trust of the players, the fans and the board by getting Newcastle United great again.
    Nothing would please me more than him making all of us eat our socks…..I might have to rephrase that someday, bacause I’m a size 42-44 and have quite large socks…but I think he seems quite a nice guy, and easy to like if the results go his way. 🙂

• GeordieGerman

Dec 9, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Forget Ashley. The club is our heart, the club is what counts… !

• BeeGuy

Dec 9, 2010 at 7:20 PM

Best of luck to AP.

It could be he is hired because some of the decisions CH made were of too great a concern to MA and the squad. Look at some of the weird line-ups. Look at some of the supposed “last minute injuries”. Look at all the injuries coming out of practice. Those actions by CH could have not only distressed MA, but could have been the seeds of a player revolt. CH did not see that certain players that made things click in the Championship did not have the capability to do the same in the Prem. He clung to those men, even if they should have been sold or loaned out. He shortened his bench and options by not assessing who could do what.

I’m not sure I can watch the Liverpool match. there is a dread that the squad will not perform and chaos and discord will sneak back into the locker room. I deeply hope that does not happen, and that the full scope of the squad can be exploited to the utmost by the new manager.

• GeordieGerman

Dec 9, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Tjodalf, “I’m a size 42-44” that’s not large. Unless going from your name, they are Norwegian socks. Now they are a mouthful.

• whoarya

Dec 9, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Ed you are spot on.

We must support the team and the manager totally in the eyes of our competition, creating an atmosphere that frightens and literally sucks the ball into the net.

Unfortunately the reverse applies and thats what we have become to good at.

Please keep up the example you set Ed because I for one understand.

• Norwegian NUFC supporter

Dec 9, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Nufc is doomed with cheap stupid Ashley as owner and will never be a top team before he sells. Off course I give our new weak manager a chance, but the fact is we need a a rich owner if we ever will be a CL contender again. Liverpool was saved, so there is hope. Today NUFC is an easy choice to buy, with a huge upside. Qatar please help

• roblee7

Dec 9, 2010 at 7:30 PM

alan bloody pardew…..

• roblee7

Dec 9, 2010 at 7:31 PM

REPEAT….ALAN…..PARDEW…. JESUS WEPT

• Jarra

Dec 9, 2010 at 7:32 PM

After watching the Press conference I will say that Pardew came across as a respectable man and said the right things, I for one will not slaughter him as only one man has caused this current unrest.
    I also think this is the first press conference that I have ever seen from any club where no chairman was present.
    I hope he is honest however I find it strange that he was called Monday night after the sacking and not before CH was dismissed, this went through too fast so I will be convinced that dialouge took place well before the sacking.
    My final point for consideration is that the Fat Man wanted a manager in to secure survival who will not cost a lot and not need money in the transfer market in January.
    He might have to wheel and deal or get players on loan but no money to buy.
    My rational for this is that I honestly believe the Fat man sacked CH as he was terrified we might slip down again, he could not afford to take that chance hence AP in charge.
    Why because I think once survival for premiership football next season Newcastle will be up for sale and any money coming into the club from the Premier league will go straight into the Fat mans pocket.
    The big worry is will that include him selling a valued players such as AC, sell all and run.
    I might be wrong but thats my gut feeling, January could prove me wrong if he spends money.
    Think like Ashley does he love Newcastle, why is he here, can he make money out of the club?
    your thoughts?

• hktoonfan

Dec 9, 2010 at 7:34 PM

come on AP lead us back to europe

• CT

Dec 9, 2010 at 7:38 PM

Finally some sense at last. Some so called supporters got short memories, we were next to bankrupt when Ashley came in. Estimated spent so far £3oo mill of his own money to save this club, because fat Freddy and sir Johno lined their own pockets, if you don`t like what he`s doing then go away.
    The club is his, the team is ours. He won`t get his money back, but we`ll still have our team and they still want to protest like spoilt kids being told it`s bed time by nasty Daddy.
    Ash has done what he thinks is right for the club and his investment,beieve me Pardew friends or not with MA and DL is on a small severence payoff if this doesn`t work, no sentiment in business.
    Until then get behind the team and give Pardew a chance.

• ToonIreland

Dec 9, 2010 at 7:43 PM

why dont my comments show?

• chuck

Dec 9, 2010 at 7:53 PM

Bee Guy
    Exactly what do you mean by weird lineups and what are you insinuating by”last minute injuries” and injuries coming out of practice.
    Dont you know that many injuries are picked up during practice.
    Distressing MA, sowing the seeds of a player revolt?
    The only thing revolting is your back-stabbing of CH after all the man did for this club
    Smacks of Sir Bobby`s disgracefull firing.
    You and your friend Mike deserve one -another.
    Wondered how long it would take before some Ashley apologist posted an article filled with anti CH supposition and other nonsense about shortening benches and options, for ch***sakes
    he was stuck with the players he inherited and the few that could be bought for peanuts due to Ashley being a tightwad.
    If you are so worried about Chaos and discord ,
    why would you advocate it by endorsing the CH firing ?
    Jerk !!

• wynsleap

Dec 9, 2010 at 7:58 PM

I didn’t think it would be long before the lily- livered “accept anything/walk all over me it’s fine/it’s for the good of the club/he’ll have my support” brigade start to appear.
    What a spineless lot!
    Yes it is right – some people would even give their unequivocable support to Donald Duck.
    And you wonder why we haven’t won a domestic trophy for 55 years?

• Toonmania

Dec 9, 2010 at 8:01 PM

I hate ashley and it makes me feel totally sick thinking that paedew (notice the mistake) is our manager, what those poor players think of it lord knows, but it’s not paedews fault (whoops thats twice) that he’s come to this “Town” under these Circumstances, this is do or die for ashley because if pardew doesn’t do well the fans will be on his back instantly if he does well then he will get the time, it’s also good to read that the contract has a clause that allows us to get rid fairly cheaply if needed (at this moment in time i’ll give the man until end of Jan) it did make me laugh when he said he a successful premiership manager and has alot of experiance in the PL (not quite how his CV reads lol!!)
    but we have no choice now he’s here and the proof of the pudding will start on saturday with a win against liverpool hopefully if not the end of Jan will loom ever closer
    HWTL

• korn8

Dec 9, 2010 at 8:12 PM

I`ve been so massively depressed about the whole situation that i have not voiced my expressions before now. But here goes nothing:
    After seen the interview with Alan Pardew i get a slight hope of survival, at least for this season. I really hope that we get a new owner and i hate to spend money buying merchandise when i know who owns the club, but i remember 08/09 with KK. We can`t do that mistake again and make the players and the manager suffer because of our feelings against Ashley. We need to support this club, the players and the manager.

@Norwegian NUFC supporter:
    Ja. Har du oppsparte midler må du gjerne investere dem! 🙂

• roy cropper

Dec 9, 2010 at 8:20 PM

well said chuck.

• Charlietoon

Dec 9, 2010 at 8:22 PM

A week of character assassination but then Oh lets give him a go….Wow Ed you changed your tune

• chuck

Dec 9, 2010 at 8:26 PM

CT
    Ermm ! Whatever MA spent , you can be sure it was both reluctantly and in his interest to do so.
    He has a history of making dumb moves, the not doing due dilligence to begin with was followed by firings and discord, ailienating the fan base and various other screwups.
    And solely by accident (through cheapness) he hired CH as manager who did all that was asked of him and more and was the best decision he has made to -date.
    For Ch***tsakes we are a mid table side and one that was in the process of being rebuilt by CH, who showed an ability to bring in decent players, (Tiote and BA)
    It takes time to build a side, unfortunately Ashley panicked, fear of relegation, so instead of bringing some more quality into the side he hires a loser and fires the very person that could prevent it happening.
    Go figure !

• alex84

Dec 9, 2010 at 8:30 PM

this brought a tear! plus makes me hate MA even more if thats possible!!

• CT

Dec 9, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Chuck, sorry you know nothing about football or business. End of!!
    Because of Ashley we still have a club/ team to support. Go watch your baseball!!

• BeeGuy

Dec 9, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Chuck, yeah I am a jerk sometimes. Aren’t we all?
    But CH had all Summer to work with the scouts to upgrade the squad. And the scouts made some good signings. But certain players are still around on high wages, players that cannot provide a winning performance. They could not do that even in the Championship. Somebody spoke up for them and they are still here. That could very well have been CH (him not being sure about the devil you don’t know).

As a point about weird lineups, he held Tiote and Ben Arfa out until after they had been here for weeks-why?

And as for practice injuries, I believe I saw a stat that less than 10% of pro injuries occur in practice, and @ 75% of them happen in pre-season.

• alex84

Dec 9, 2010 at 9:13 PM

actually tiote was put in once his workpermit came through, while he was on international duty.
    he played the moment he was available.
    arfa had to wait one game.

• davis_toons

Dec 9, 2010 at 9:28 PM

im more corcern of which players will Alan Pardew sign in now.

• lewman

Dec 9, 2010 at 9:30 PM

42 – 44 are we talking about mike ashleys jeans size here.
    i thought pardew did ok at west ham and he ade a few good signings but this is a way of making the club more sellable plus sorting his mate out a little half mil or so (a guess) from the future (hopefully quatari) owner when sacking him.

i will still support our club although i wont be buying any from sports direct for a while.

ps after keegan was sacked i swapped the cover on a tennis racket from there and got the £150 racket for £27, i felt a sense of pride in my selfish immoral act of greed

• lewman

Dec 9, 2010 at 9:36 PM

davis he signed benayoun for a very small fee but i cant think of anyone else

• Tjodalf

Dec 9, 2010 at 10:28 PM

GeordieGerman: Yes, Norwegian socks and sizes…why have different sizes for the same socks in Norway..? hmm…
    Anyways, I hope the players are geared for saturday, and in that way we can see the attack-minded play of Pardew! 😉
    I’ll put a tenner on him being lynched at halftime.

• Sav

Dec 10, 2010 at 12:56 AM

He must have a smooth line in patter to worm his way into the drawers of the wife of one of his West Ham players. He didn’t get in there on looks.
    Didn’t see any evidence of it today. Just watching his Ps and Qs. I hear he’s a bit of a mover on the dance-floor.
    Maybe that’s his attraction.

• IndianapolisToon

Dec 10, 2010 at 1:51 AM

“Alan is now manager of Newcastle, whether we like it or not, and I for one will be supporting him.”

I’m right there with you Ed. As much as I’m disappointed with Mike Ashley’s business plan and really feel for Chris Hughton, Alan Pardew is the manager now and he’s got my support.

• Oleg G

Dec 10, 2010 at 7:43 AM

Sorry. I don not agree.

I will not support him. He is a thief, his fault is that he spoke (probably) before Chris was out and agreed to come if a position will be opened, I am sure Mike Ashley had this planned.

Fat Mike is slow, and never does anything fast, so this – bringing a manager until the weekend is BS. It was ready before Chris was out.

About the team – The team is my heart, And I (as all of us) will support the team But Our Owner, Our Director (or whatever this Lamb is) and our manager – No way. Even if he gets us to Europe, I don’t care. He should not have taken this place – If the club was looking for an experience Manager, he needed to say – “I am sorry, but I am not the man for this job, With all due respect – I cannot handle your expectations, my record shows that”.

But because there are almost no decent man living these days, he saw some money coming his way and took it.

Our manager needed to be Jol, at least he a nice record, But as it was said everywhere – Jol and others had some character and decided not to be a puppet.

The team – I love them even more now. This year I don’t see any Egos. Toite is great, Had high hopes about HBA.

lewman – I Agree

Although, compare to the guys here from the UK, I don’t have the inner fight of – To go or not to go (to the game), so you have it tough there in Newcastle “town” (good that he didn’t say resort or village).