Can Pardew Handle Barton And Ben Arfa?

Most fans would agree that Alan Pardew has handled himself well since he arrived on Tyneside, as the new manager last Thursday.

Joey Barton in action against Liverpool – he was awesome

And Alan has said all the right things, and seems genuinely enthusiastic about Newcastle and the possibilities ahead.

But the one thing that may be worrisome about Alan, is that he tends to make good starts at clubs, but then has shot himself in the foot, and ends up leaving a club after upsetting the dressing room.

The official reason he was sacked at Southampton in August was the hierarchy at the South coast club, were concerned about staff morale.

And Alan has an ego of course, and is certainly is not short of confidence in his own management abilities.

But we have to be concerned that with strong and potentially combustible characters like Joey Barton and Ben Arfa at the Newcastle club, we wonder if he can keep these two players happy, and playing for him.

It was easy for a personality like Chris Hughton, because both Joey and Ben Arfa seemed to really appreciate and like the Stratford-born manager, who is an excellent coach.

But Alan is a different kettle of fish, and has strong views on things to do with football.

Certainly Joey Barton has been back to his very best form this season, and was excellent yesterday.

And if Joey hadn’t been suspended for three games, you have to think Newcastle  would have got more than just 2 points from the 4 games Joey missed – the first three being his suspension.

His performance yesterday, when he picked up the Man of the Match award and then dedicated it immediately to Chris Hughton (on Chris’ birthday), showed how important he is to Newcastle United these days.

And Ben Arfa speaks for himself – he’s a fantastic player – but has been hard to handle at previous clubs, as we have all been made aware of.

• RUNAWAY777

Dec 12, 2010 at 12:16 PM

joey was pure class.

• lou9brasil

Dec 12, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Think it’s safe to say that Barton can be managed by anyone when I head is right, however it will only take one small thing for him to erupt and when that happens there isn’t a person on this planet who can handle him he is a cracking player and I hope he stays on a level ( nothing to suggest he won’t at the moment )…. With regards to Ben Arfa I would be very surprised if we see him in the toon kit ever again so pardew wont need to worry about managing him ( would love it if we did manage to sign him though)

• STS_Toon

Dec 12, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Joey was awesome yesterday. I really hope he keeps his cool. One player i was impressed with was Ranger, it shows you how useless Ameobi is when he constantly gives the ball away then you have 19 year old come on and show you how its done. I hope for the teams sake Pardew starts with Ranger and Carroll for the next game.

• balubas1

Dec 12, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Barton was so awesome yesterday. Did you see when he lobbed the ball over a player? Smooth:)

Also how he timed his run to make it 2-1. Awesome understanding of the game. He starts his run even before the ball hits Carrolls head, then he really paces up when he sees that Ranger might get a touch to it. Awesome!!! And he goes in to poke it in with no fear for his life! What a nasty tackle attempt by Glen Johnson…

• tjshawsey

Dec 12, 2010 at 12:32 PM

Am I the only person hoping Ameobi was injured badly? That way Ranger should get his chance!

• balubas1

Dec 12, 2010 at 12:34 PM

tjshawsey:

naaa.. thats kinda nasty to say.. But it is time for Ranger.. no doubt about that

• Toon1978

Dec 12, 2010 at 12:34 PM

The southern press make me shake me head in disbelief. In the NOTW they have “Barton should be kicked out of football” and then they have him in the team of the week. FFS the press do not know their ar se from their elbow. They should change their name from News of the world to “HYPOCRITES”.

• mattyNUFC

Dec 12, 2010 at 12:35 PM

erm, no, I am not hoping one of our players is badly injured. I, however, would like to see Ranger start at Birmingham

• Toon1978

Dec 12, 2010 at 12:38 PM

Ranger should definitely start next week without a shadow of doubt. He links up well with other player that showed for Barton goal. Ameobi is a walking sick note and should be off in January.

• balubas1

Dec 12, 2010 at 12:38 PM

hehe.. I must repeat myself.. but guys… seriously. Don’t “hope” on our own players getting injured..

Ameobi is a Toon Legend wether you like it or not.

But he should be dropped and Ranger/Loven given the chance. Thats another argument

• Davies

Dec 12, 2010 at 12:39 PM

I don’t hope that Shola was injured badly; that’s just unfair to the lad, but I do hope that Ranger gets more starts, and I think he will under Pardew.

With regard to Barton and Ben Arfa’s temperament, I don’t think he has to worry too much. There are plenty of players in the squad who will rope them in as soon as they start to show any sign of ill temper. For all the moaning about Nolan (please refer to the numerous complaints about Hughton always playing him in previous blogs), he remains our most important player. I can see him being the one that keeps the team on an even keel if things start to get uncomfortable.

• Toon1978

Dec 12, 2010 at 12:51 PM

balubas1

TOON LEGEND AMEOBI EHHHHHHHHH. There has only been a few and they are B.Robson, KK, Shearer, J.Milburn. Ameobi is no where near a toon legend.

• hadthetshirt

Dec 12, 2010 at 1:03 PM

23 is definitely a Leg EndI have said many times he gives too many free kicks away,cant trap wind,and how many times is he offside.He has scored some good goals for us I admit.However he is far too lazy and his attitude stinks.He walks around like a prima donna.He should know better as he is a geordie.Look at how Andy Carroll has conducted himself on the pitch.Never mind about Pardew handling Barton and Arfa can he handle 23 when he spits the dummy out again when dropped.How on earth Hughton made our laziest player captain beggars belief.Chris did a fine job but mistakes like that I feel cost him his job.Ashley might be a fool,but he knows how most fans feel about 23.I think CH was too nice a bloke,and tried to keep senior players happy too much.Pardew may ruffle a few feathers.

• STS_Toon

Dec 12, 2010 at 1:04 PM

@ 12Toon1978 // Dec 12, 2010 at 12:51 PM

Haha well said.

• scrotty

Dec 12, 2010 at 1:32 PM

I’m pretty sure you’ll find Shola is ALWAYS injured across the transfer window especially the january one.

I don’t have the stats but i’m pretty sure it’s the case.

The only reason still he’s at the club is in between injuries there’s a new manager looking to give him a run out.

Does anyone know when Ameobi last played 90 mins in the first team????

• Obafan

Dec 12, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Well first of all I have to say that Pardew his comments are fantastic. The man knows that Hughton was so much loved by players and fans (he is full of respect and knows how to handle that situatuion). So far he has said all things we would like to hear. So after I was so negative last Thursday, I hope he does okay. The players also seem to appreciate the way he has handled things so far.

And MA, well I will never be a fan of him, but I was surprised to see his reactions when we scored the 2nd and 3rd goal.

I think we will get rid of a few players in January:
    – Guthrie (overrated)
    – S. Taylor (overrated and ego)
    – Xisco (where is he????)
    – Smith (when a replacement is found)

I hope a few good players will arrive.

And hopefully Ranger starts next week, cause he was fantastic yesterday.

• Offkey

Dec 13, 2010 at 9:50 AM

Am very disappointed at the treatment of Joey on MOD2 etc. He may have said something which is caught on TV but to hype it to an extent that an FA spokesman has to come out and comment on it is a joke. I have lip read more vile things, seen players spit on others and get away withn it but it seems that Joey cant even swear without the threat of a ban.