Pardew So Impressed By Both His Young Strikers

It could be that Alan Pardew has been surprised just how many good players he has inherited on Tyneside.

Nile Ranger beats up Skrtel – sorry –  challenges the Liverpool center-back

And he has been told in no uncertain terms that it’s his job to bring on the youngsters, and he must have been impressed with at least one of them on Saturday – Londoner Nile Ranger.

19 year-old Nile Ranger came on after 63 minutes, and it could have been hailed as a brilliant move by the new manager, since it completely changed the game, and will probably mean Nile will start next Saturday at Birmingham.

But alas, the reason the youngster came on was because Shola Ameobi pulled a hamstring – for the umpteenth time in his career.

How often has a 19 year-old beat up a Liverpool defense with his physical and direct play?

And with any luck the youngster would have scored within a minute of coming on – when he hit that shot, we looked for the net to bulge – but it never did – as the ball whistled just inches wide.

But this lad looks like he’s coming through big time again – just like he was doing before Newcastle bought Leon Best last January – which restricted Nile’s appearances through the rest of last season.

Pardew added:

“We were effective in offensive areas, and Nile Ranger was effective off the bench, and Shola did a shift – more than he usually does because his hamstring was tightening up.”

And Pardew will know that he has one of the most exciting players in England right now in Andy Carroll, who got the ball maybe 35 yards out, hesitated a few seconds, realized not one Liverpool player was moving towards him, so he hit a left foot missile into the bottom corner of Reina’s goal – a wonder strike.

Alan continued:

“Andy Carroll was what he is – an outstanding young player who has got a hell of a future in front of him over the next 10-15 years if he manages to keep himself sane in the mad world that he’s now in.”

If Nile Ranger comes through in the next year or so like we hope he will, can you imagine what the two of them could do to opposing defenses?

The opposing defenders will have nightmares the night before the games – and then hopefully more nightmares during the game. Skrtel certainly had a nightmare game on Saturday.

Nile was some find from Southampton – that’s for sure – and Andy promises to be the next great player in a long line of famous Newcastle number 9s.

Howay The Lads!!

• geordieal

Dec 13, 2010 at 9:25 PM

Like shearer and Ferdinand, could be very promising.

• carrollsinger

Dec 13, 2010 at 9:28 PM

Ranger HAS to start Saturday he’s top class

• geordieal

Dec 13, 2010 at 9:31 PM

Wouldn’t go as far to say he is top class yet! But he is better than ameobi.

• john_cena163

Dec 13, 2010 at 9:33 PM

I say ranger is our messi

• Shot Bru

Dec 13, 2010 at 9:34 PM

Ranger was excellent on saturday and is progressing nicely…comparing Carroll and Ranger at 19 yrs old you could argue that Ranger looks an even better prospect ..just needs the confidence of a getting a couple of goals …

• ITUNDERASHELL

Dec 13, 2010 at 9:45 PM

We could have the best forward line in the country soon, Carroll is going to dominate any defence in the world with his power and ability in the air.
    Ranger has pace and power and needs to learn to run around and off Carroll.
    Also Ben Arfa and Barton can deliver the killer passes and the real wonder this season Tiote will cover the defence and steady our midfield.
    Team spirit and youth development is the answer lads.

• giimps

Dec 13, 2010 at 9:53 PM

HEAR HEAR,
    Carol and ranger up tops, Saint Joseph firing in the crosses and Captain fantastic bombing in from midfield .The futures bright (Its Black and White)

• Rafael

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:04 PM

ranger should be picked over lazy slug every week. he outpaced and outpaced liverpools defence even if their defence is s**t

• GeordieGerman

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:31 PM

Funny how Ameobi appears to always be injured as transfer windows near. Must be some sort of inborn defence mechanism… ?

• Rafael

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:32 PM

outpaced and out muscled *

• boater

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:37 PM

@Rafael & the other rabid dog supporters.

In the interest of sanit, sigh for what it’s worth…
    but 7 short days since the owner sacked our beloved manager, and already the mob have turned their ire back on to easy-target shola – who’s putting a mature shift, providing an outlet for midfield, and still got 6 in 12 starts this season. He’s looked out of sorts recently in front of goal – aye but is clearly not fully fit.

ranger hasn’t scored in the premiership yet yee dafties. Why can’t you just let him feel his way in for Christ’s sake!? That was the first time he looked up to handling this league, but after 30 (very) promising minutes you’re demanding automatic starts – and billing him as the next Shearer/ferdinand? whoever said that!?!?! I’m staggered.

• boater

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:40 PM

sanity*

As the article in True Faith said – “it’s as if some mags WANT shola to fail, it’s depressing”.. couldn’t put it better meself.

On Ranger – he looked good, still green as hell but good aye. Still would like to see another canny striker with great movement brought in to partner AC in the short term.

• Timmers09

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:44 PM

He’s had his “feel his way in”period. Rooney, Milner, Owen, Messi etc etc they were all regular by 19. If your good enough your old enough. Get him in now. Let’s not wait until bambi finally packs in to go “oh he’s not actually much better”

• boater

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:51 PM

timmers09 – those players were making it impossible for their coaches to leave them out, by virtue of their goals, assists and vital contributions coming off the bench or in cup games, etc.

As opposed to by the clamour of a bunch of excitable supporters who have heard from their mate he was good in the reserves, and thought he played well for 30 minutes in the last league game.

Next?

• TheGallowgateEnd

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:52 PM

The Brazilian Anderson just had a magnificent game for Man United. Seems he’s definitely going to stay at Old Trafford.

• GeordieGerman

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:52 PM

boater, You must be Ameobi’s agent. Ameobi is one of the laziest players that we have. I have often stuck up for him, but I have always said he scores when needed. At most as an impact sub. But dead honest (an after 80 minutes) knackered Ranger is still faster as a fresh Ameobi.

• d.calverley

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:55 PM

I gave Ranger a bit of stick a few weeks ago saying I felt he looked a little light weight when he was introduced, but since then he’s had me simply eating my words. Hes has been fantastic coming off the bench ever since the Arsenal match and I think he thoroughly deserves a start.
    Even with Ameobi fit or not I would start with ranger first, Ameobi just doesn’t seem to look interested off the ball and when he’s on it he struggle to keeps hold if there’s a strong wind! It’s great to see players coming through the ranks and pushing for a place in the 1xl.

• GeordieGerman

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:55 PM

boater, “those players were making it impossible for their coaches to leave them out, by virtue of their goals, assists and vital contributions coming off the bench or in cup games, etc”.

Well that’s bloody well something that Shola can’t be accused of.

• boater

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:01 PM

GeordieGerman – I know you are a proud shola basher – I see your comments on here every day.

You miss my point, I think it’s too subtle. This says more about you – not the players. What happens when Ranger has a few bad games – or appears ‘lazy’ he certainly looked pretty uninterested in the CC match against Arsenal as an e.g. Will you start slagging him off every day on here? Probably, I don’t and never have liked supporters singling out players for abuse – you just shatter their confidence. Who wins?

This along with my last post on Shola is all I have to say – if you still can’t see where I’m coming from I can’t put in any other way to help you understand mate,, you’re just narrow minded,

• Timmers09

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:01 PM

Next? Lol like u smashed my point out the ball park. They were getting far longer runs without playing in the reserves and scored the odd goal to get their first team runs. if Ranger had scored one amazing goal he would be starting fact is u only ave to look at the game time in first team at any of those players to see they got their chance before there goals! Next.

• Timmers09

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:07 PM

I’ve not abused your best mate but I’m not stalwart of old fashioned loyalty that prevents new talent coming through by harbouring a sense that he’ll get his chance attitude whilst clinging to the vein hope of a “mature” performance to justify his existence in the starting 11. I hope this is supercilious enough to match your comments aimed at others. Strange how tiote can get his run straight away over smith though

• Rafael

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:10 PM

@boater have you been watching the games? yes ameobi’s first touch can be good but so often he looses the ball. not saying hes completely rubbish cause he can link up well with carrol ie. when he knocked the ball down for carrols shot against liverpool. Just saying give ranger a start and see what happens. Hes worked hard when hes come off the bench and made an impact. would be since to see him start instead of ameobi for a change but would be good experience. he needs a couple of starts

• Rafael

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:12 PM

If he plays bad whens hes started then im wrong but he needs games and confidence infront of goal will come because he creates many goal scoring chances

• dublin mag steve

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:12 PM

i dont know why were all on talkin about the lad its mot like he hasnt performed like that before we all know what a talent he is now let him keep his feet on the ground cos pace is something we lack up front big time andys got pace but he cant do everything lets not forget this was chris houghtons formation and team that won its gona take a hell of a lot more wins for pardpew to win me over

• Rafael

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:14 PM

and you cant say ameobi isnt lazy

• GeordieGerman

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:15 PM

boater, no you haven’t, you haven’t read my last posts. For months I have stuck up for Shola. You have read my posts from the last few weeks, where I have made use of my right to change my mind (or have my mind changed). If Shola starts, or is subbed next week and runs his backside of I will have the right to change my mind again. But he has to do it.

• Rafael

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:25 PM

GeordieGerman – second that

• Howay The Lads

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:26 PM

Shola: the enigma on Tyneside.

• baro

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:36 PM

Nile ‘Danger’ Ranger is going to be the season changer!

• mightymag

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:39 PM

ameobi is pants always has been always will be, give young ranger a run in the team, his pace opens up defences and lets other players in the space, soon as he came on aginst the scouse they were all over the shop

• mightymag

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:40 PM

~also thought his movement arount carroll was brilliant!

• JP...from The Rock

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:46 PM

GeordieGerman – comment 8 : classic! 🙂

• JP...from The Rock

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:48 PM

Stick Ranger in the deep end we have nothing to lose. Ameobi is just not good enoguh I am afraid. I even prefer Smtih up front to Ameobi tbh. (and yes before anyone mentions it I know Smith still hasn’t scored for us).

• boater

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:52 PM

timmerman – Tiote was an established full international – and a regular (albeit not in every starting 11) in his last season/s (?) as champ’s of Holland. He’s also 5 years Ranger’s senior. So there is a difference, he was brought in as a first team starter this season – whereas Hughton was wisely letting Ranger off the leash for valuable match minutes in what is already a steep trajectory in his rise to the toon first team squad.

I agree Ranger is exciting, I agree he needs first team experience, but I don’t get why on the basis of ONE top showing in the league he should have it in his head he has done enough to earn the starting slot. It’s not even good for him. Keep him coming on in the second half until there is no doubt he should start – you’ll know when that happens, there’s a clicking sound. Don’t send him down the path of Paul Dalgliesh, Robinson, coppinger, B Gudjonnsson, chopra as the star of the reserves that wasn’t managed properly in their transition in to the first team side.

• newcastle29

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:53 PM

I would like to see a striker come in when the window opens. Someone a bit like Craig Bellamy with pace to play off Carroll.

• boater

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:54 PM

I know I’m arguing his corner on my own – and that yees are right about his last few games, but when I read the following comment about a player who STILL has 1 in 2 starts this season, I think some of yees are the ones that aren’t right in the head:

JP…from The Rock // Dec 13, 2010 at 11:48 PM

• dublin mag steve

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:56 PM

i actually thought strolla went down cos ranger took his top off 29yrs old and were still disputing this are u lazy or are u a bottler cos u certainly have it strolla now cut the crap and put the effort in im sick to death of it at this stage,

• mightymag

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:57 PM

so who would you play up front boater??? i believe he deserves a start, give him a run of games!! dont you think our team lacks pace?? PLAY HIM, hes 19 not 12!!

• JP...from The Rock

Dec 14, 2010 at 12:02 AM

Boater – I was joking about Smith for Gods sake the guys useless. I should be the first player out the club. I know he gives is all but it ain’t good enough as he only concedes stupid fouls in dangerous positions. As for up front, well he used to be good there in Leeds but he’s lost it now I am afraid.

As for Ranger well I must say he has quite a few appearances under his belt and one game he starts will do wonders for his confidence. If he doesn’t pull it off then he will be replaced by Ameobi until Ranger earns his right for another start through sub appearances again. As I said nothing to lose as Ranger is much more effective than Ameobi any day.

• boater

Dec 14, 2010 at 12:04 AM

He’s not lazy, you’re right that’s a stupid debate. He lacks obvious aggression – especially compared to Carroll, who is pretty much the exceptional hunter/chaser/hard working striker in the league at the moment.

If you still think he’s lazy because of his manner after all these years- and remember he’s plowing on even with an injury at the minute – then so is berbatov, adebayor, van persie, etc. and I’d have any of them in my side.