Pardew Makes Three First Team Appointments Already

Alan Pardew is wasting no time in getting his coaching team together, and has so far made three appointments.

Willie Donachie – while manager of Milwall

The Newcastle manager has welcomed goalkeeper coach Andy Woodman – who apparently arrives from Charlton Athletic today, and Alan has also promoted Reserve team assistant Steve Stone to the first team squad of coaches.

And thirdly, Pardew has promoted senior Academy coach Willie Donachie to the first-team training base.

Peter Beardsley will continue as the Reserve team coach to gain more experience, and that seems to be what Peter wants to do, and that’s also a very important job Peter has – that’s for sure.

Steve Stone has done a good job assisting Chris Hughton since Colin Calderwood left the club in mid October, and he also assisted Alan last week, and it seems that Pardew gets on well with Stone and has immediately promoted him.

Pardew told the Evening Chronicle today:

“Steve Stone is somebody I have leaned on heavily in the last few days, and I have really enjoyed my time working with him, even if it has been short.”

“I am going to give him an improved contract to come and work with the first team.” “He has the respect of the players.”

“And I always want continuity when I come into a club.”

Alan has also promoted 59 year-old former Scotland international Donachie to the first team squad of coaches, and Alan talked about his thinking for this:

“With continuity in mind as well as I am going to move Willie Donachie up to the first-team area from the Academy.”

“He will work with Peter Beardsley and maybe cross over to myself on occasion.”

So Alan has wasted no time in bringing two coaches into his first team squad from the Academy and the Reserve side, and he is still expected to appoint his assistant soon.

Pardew talked about what he wants to do with the Newcastle coaching team:

“My idea is to have a young coaching team and to grow with the team.” “One of the reasons I have taken Willie Donachie out of the Academy is because he has that first-team experience as well.”

“Willie is a really good technical coach and I like to have that at the training ground because he ticks that box.”

“It means I can bring in another one of Steve Stone’s type, and I think that will give us a nice balance at the training ground where all the players have got a coach to lean on and they can find somebody that they trust in a special way.”

“It’s not just first-team coaches, it can be a junior coach that influences you.” “So it’s Steve Stone, Willie Donachie and myself at the moment plus one other.” “There are plenty of people there.”

Peter Beardsley is quite happy with his work with the younger players at Newcastle, and that seems a little surprising since the news we were told over the last several weeks was that Chris Hughton was told by  Ashley and company, that they wanted Peter promoted to be a first team coach – but that may have just been paper talk.

There’s been a lot of that about these last several weeks.

Pardew continued:

“Peter prefers that area, and that’s fine.”   “He hasn’t got much experience as a coach although he was outstanding as a player – one of the best we produced.”

“That brings its own special quality to the training ground too, having what is essentially a football legend there.”

“There is plenty of technical expertise there and I am happy with the way it is panning out.”

As we reported earlier today the favorite for the Newcastle Assistant manager position seems to be Ray Lewington, and if Alan can wrap that position up within the next day or two – he will have done  very well to put his team in place quickly – and that’s good.

It seems that Alan has plenty of choice for his Assistant manager as well, as he continued:

“I’ve got about four or five names and I am not sure which one yet – I have to get the balance right.”

It’s good to see Alan move quickly – because that’s important to help maintain some stability at the club, after all the daft goings on of last week.

• Malaysia-RASHID

Dec 14, 2010 at 12:52 PM

i think Shearer is the best candidate for Blackburn. Maybe. because he British and he also their history.

• Magpietillidie22

Dec 14, 2010 at 12:59 PM

^ Shearer has been saying he wants the right job etc and I think those owners would buy into a legend taking over so I agree completely.

On the story above though, to me this is a big sign of faith by Ashley. It seems MAYBE he is putting everything behind Pardew because he is his appoinment, on a long contract of course, and if this is the case then brilliant.

If Ashley backs a manager with cash and gives him the reigns then its much better for NUFC. One thing about Pardew which comes over as a plus is he’s a football man and likes to be straight, it could be a front of course, but Hughton always obeyed ashley by hiding information. Pardew may actually keep fans in the loop

• GeordieGerman

Dec 14, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Magpietillidie22, Don’t mind if Pardew (had to add Pardew to my spell checkers dictionary) does come out and tell us a bit more than before. As long as it’s nothing that give the media a field day.

• murvar

Dec 14, 2010 at 1:24 PM

I have been impressed with the start Pardew has made (not so much Saturday’s result – we all know that wasn’t down to him) in the way he has conducted himself, made rapid assessments, concentrating on building on what exists (and what the players like) and explaining himself clearly and quietly. I think he has done his homework and he’s not stupid enough to squander the assets he has inherited just to make the point that he’s now in charge. Keep it up. I still think he hadn’t done enough to EARN such a job – but we must all just get on with it now and hope that CH gets another Premiership club – he deserves one.

• BillBurch

Dec 14, 2010 at 1:35 PM

As much as I’d love to see Alan Shearer as a prominent manager I’m not sure going straight into the Prem is wise; I discount his eight games in charge for us, Alex Ferguson couldn’t have saved us then! Paul Ince, Gareth Southgate, Brian Robson, Roy Keane etc, all great players, have tried and failed. There’s a lot to be said for “cutting your teeth” at the lower levels because all the coaching badges in the world don’t make a good manager.

• magfly

Dec 14, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Hey guys three appointments already, two from within which Hoots didnt want ,ashleys up to his old trick again.Wont recruit wont spend bet pardew didnt want this.

• BillBurch

Dec 14, 2010 at 1:46 PM

By the way, what is wrong with promoting from within? In the daily workplace of any reasonably sized company wouldn’t people like to get promoted? Wouldn’t they resent being over-looked for an “outsider”? I can’t understand all the conspiracy theories going on here! If the employees don’t want the responsibilities of promotion then they can refuse it and the company can recruit from outside. All this is relly getting out-of-hand!

• GeordieGerman

Dec 14, 2010 at 1:46 PM

magfly, Bet he did. Bringing people that the players already know spells continuity.

• BillBurch

Dec 14, 2010 at 1:47 PM

*really

• Davies

Dec 14, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Magfly; how exactly would you know who or what Hughton wanted?

We have the red tops to stir the sh1t for us mate. No need to get the supporters doing it as well.

• lewman

Dec 14, 2010 at 1:58 PM

billburch i agree and would think maybe southampton would be a better start but you could counter that argument with the name pep guardiola as he won 6 trophies in his first season but i suppose it would be a bit easier if you had xavi,iniesta and messi in your team.

• magfly

Dec 14, 2010 at 1:59 PM

Listen guy under normal circumstances I would say this is the way forward,But knowing Ashley the way he does things I smell a Fat rat getting fatter pockets thanks to NUFC.

• geoff777

Dec 14, 2010 at 2:02 PM

I was in “headless chicken” mode last week.
    Angry and wound-up by Hughton’s sacking.
    Shouting “Pardew Out” at every opportunity.

The “boycott” seems to have been a non-event (quite apt).

It also seems that the majority of people commenting on this blog were in a small minority of actual fans –
    the majority turned up and Pardew faced a frosty reception rather than barrage of hatred by a half-empty stadium (As I expected from reading here).

The board can and do sack managers and we really do have no say so it’s hard to take.

Pardew was the luckiest out-of-work manager ever.

We can only hope he can become a top-manager now he has a better squad and hopefully a bit of a transfer kitty.

So great show of team-spirit and good first signs by Pardew.

Hope he has the money for a proper staff.

• GeordieGerman

Dec 14, 2010 at 2:10 PM

geoff777, what is an “actual fan”?

• bib60

Dec 14, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Geoff, join the club, knee jerk reaction, I cancelled Sky Sport, was never going again, but as someone pointed out, players, managers, owners come and go, we will always be here.

• Solaidback

Dec 14, 2010 at 2:29 PM

I think you’ll find that Blackburn won’t appoint anyone we know, I think there aim is to make Blackburn the first PL club with a muslim backing, the reason I say this isn’t racist before anyone bring that sh!te up, it’s because when they were looking at buying the club, they said they wanted to bring in a more muslim feeling due to the locality of the club & population of Blackburn itself…

• GeordieGerman

Dec 14, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Solaidback, So the players will be learning cricket?

• Solaidback

Dec 14, 2010 at 2:39 PM

Well they’re sh!te at footie lol 😉

• GeordieGerman

Dec 14, 2010 at 2:48 PM

LOL… ! Think that was down to Sam. I’ve never heard of a decent Muslim Manager.

• supermacnumber9

Dec 14, 2010 at 2:49 PM

bib60it – was me who said players, managers, owners come and go, we will always be here – and I also said in a similar situation we beat Liverpool before – and we did it again! We are the club – everyone else (no mater how important they thing they are) comes and goes.

• chuck

Dec 14, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Shearah for Blackburn ?
    Would`nt hire him for Spennymoor Utd. well maybe I would, do an apprenticeship like.
    But following his stint a coupla seasons ago , he was exposed for the novice he is.
    He`s probably holding back for the England job.

• Solaidback

Dec 14, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Chuck fella, even Sir Alex would have struggled to keep that bunch of mercs up the PL with 8 games to play, so don’t be shooting Shearer for failing, the players didn’t want to survive & wanted to leave, so which better way of getting out a club than to get it relegated… bingo it worked!!!

• BillBurch

Dec 14, 2010 at 4:13 PM

Chuck,
    What’s your problem with Shearer? Too big for his boots eh? Best CF in many a year, played at the highest level, committed to NUFC all the signs of a big-head eh? Wants to be a manager and not an assistant, what an a**ehole eh? Jealous for some reason I’d say.

• ITUNDERASHELL

Dec 14, 2010 at 4:26 PM

I bet Pardew cannot believe how lucky he is! A squad that can easily hold its own in the top flight and a five and a half year contract.
    Talent bursting out all over the place, and an owner who wants to buy and develop youth. Pardew will love blooding our developing players more than going out and buying average players.
    He will be able to concentrate his resources on building from 12 year olds and see them competing for first team selection in 5 or 6 years.

• Pak Toon Army

Dec 14, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Solaidback // Dec 14, 2010 at 2:29 PM

———————————————————-

just to you let u know mate, the blackburn rovers owners are not muslims.

They are Hindus from India.

• The Eternal Optimist

Dec 14, 2010 at 6:50 PM

cant remember who said it but

“knowing ashley as I do”….. lol you have no idea. he made two massive mistakes early on and ever since his every move has been under the most ridiculous scrutiny ever. and these mistakes are only relative to our sentimentality. you know the same sentimentality that makes the papers mock us for our messiahs etc.

shearer did an awful job, the man thinks he’s bigger than the club and has for years.

keegan came back and made ridiculous demands- he was ridiculed and left in a huff knowing that he could take public support with him.

ashley took us down by changing the manager 4 times in a season no doubt. but since then we’ve spent where necessary, got rid of the vast majority of bad eggs and moved back into a position where we can actually push on in the premier league. tight? he bought us and the debt fred landed us in, he has restructred, invested in the academy and makes pre-emptive decisions rather than waiting til its too late.

if we finish in the top 7 this year do not be suprised. Put your bigotry, xenephobia and idiocy aside and support the toon.

• leedodd

Dec 14, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Remember the Westwood Stand the Gallowgate with the open air toilets the National front at the Gates – Throwing Bananas at The Black Players Then We Buy Tony Cunningham !!! Remember the Board 30 – 35 years ago ?? same today boardwise and chairman wise as it was then But the difference is not the old wooden stand and the Ground falling to bits and top players like Alan shoulder and steve Carney the centre half we got from that top European side Blyth Spartons !!!!! Can you see is doing that today ???? Were ok – Maybe Alan Pardew is what We Needed ?? The Team Like Him & he will play attacking football like we want !!!!!! The Pineing For Chris Hughton Won’t Help us Now. We have to Move on. Mind You Supermac and John Tudor Up Front With Tony Green Jinky Jim & Terry Hibbet in the side & Iam Mcfaul in Goal ?? Would Help us today —— Would Ashley Be Scared Of Joe Harvey!!!! Joe Wouldent Take the Crap From Him !!!! Priceless !!!!!

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Dec 15, 2010 at 3:31 AM

leedodd:

Your showing your age a bit mate!

I used to watch The Spartens when i was a kid.

• expatgeordie

Dec 15, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Leedodd: You must be as old as me. I knew a lot of that Blyth Spartans team in the 70’s. I used to play with and against most of them on Sunday mornings. We could certainly do with a SuperMac, Tony Green & Jinky Jimmy Smith today. As for Joe Harvey I think he might have throttled Ashley. On the managers we’ve had, the only time in the past 50 years the Toon has been remotley successful has been when we’ve had a manager with some connection to the club/area. Joe Harvey skipper & coach when we won the cup 3 times in the 50’s, Kevin Keegan played for us and of course Sir Bobby who was one of us. I hope Pardew is successful but I think history is against him.