Ray Lewington Favorite To Become Pardew Assistant

One thing Alan Pardew is reported today to be working on,  is to bring  an Assistant manager in to help him with his massive task on Tyneside.

Ray Lewington – currently still at Fulham

And according to the Northern Echo he will make that appointment this week.

Chris Hughton worked without an assistant since October 18th, when Colin Calderwood left to manage Hibs, and in retrospect that was probably a clue to what would happen to Chris.

But we always said Chris would not be appointing anybody until his own contract had been sorted out – but there is no such reason why Alan Pardew can’t appoint somebody immediately,  because for one thing the wages will now be comparable to Assistant Manager positions in the Premier League – hopefully.

Two names that have been mentioned are Wally Downes of West Ham, who has just been appointed the defensive coach at the East London club, although Avram Grants’ position at West Ham must be perilous,  after again losing last weekend, this time to Man City.

Wally is 49 years old and was born in Hammersmith, London.

And Avram Grant said yesterday he would not stop Wally leaving the club if he got a good offer from Newcastle:

“I like Wally Downes and have built a very good relationship in a short time but I cannot answer for him,”

“He is here, he is happy and we are happy with him but I’ve never stopped anyone from leaving in my life.”

“There is a contract between him and the club but I must say we are happy with him and he is happy with us.”

And the other name,  first mentioned last week is Ray Lewington of  Fulham, and the People reported on Sunday that was Chris Hughton’s first choice too.

The 54 year-old Lambeth-born (as in the Lambeth walk) Lewington was Assistant Manager at Fulham when Roy Hodgson was there, but he is now managing the Youth side there since Mark Hughes took over, so no doubt he would welcome the move.

Steve Stone and Peter Beardsley have also been mentioned, but there’s no way either of these will get the position and they will get more experience managing the Newcastle Reserves side – and that’s an  important role at the club to bring the youngsters through.

Andy Woodman – new Newcastle goalkeeping coach

Pardew has already brought in goalkeeping coach Andy Woodman, whom Alan had worked with previously at both West Ham and Charlton Athletic.

The sooner Alan completes his team the better, but we would hope for two things – one is that they are excellent coaches – and secondly that they are good man-management types.

If both coaches are of that caliber then Alan cannot go too far wrong.

• carrollsinger

Dec 14, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Hoots as number 2 I WISH! Shearer as striker coach ginola as midfield coach dream come true lol

• Captain Beefheart

Dec 14, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Ed, I’m fed up of the constant Pardew back slapping on here.

You ruthlessly kept chipping away at Chris Hughton for most of last season (then well into this one) for his lack of Prem experience – then feign shock and disgust when he is sacked for a few days. But now this un-earned and un-warranted pro-Pardew deluge on this blog is getting too much. Even I could have sat in the bloody dug out against Liverpool and we’d still have won 3-1. it was 100% Hughton’s work.

Pardew is a loser, and he’ll take us down with him, mark my words. You’ll change your tune when the transfer requests flood in and we go on one of his losing streaks… Worst manager since McGarry, and probably worse than McGarry himself. It’s a bloody disaster disguised by a rubbish display by Liverpool.

• Ciaran Thomas

Dec 14, 2010 at 11:29 AM

Steven Stone should be given the job,This club means the world to Steven Stone,Why not him ? !!.

• Captain Beefheart

Dec 14, 2010 at 11:31 AM

“You mean Simon Stone, don’t you????” A Pardew.

• NUFC_Richyg01

Dec 14, 2010 at 11:31 AM

@ Captain Beefheart // Dec 14, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Give the guy a chance FFS

• maine_magpie

Dec 14, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Beefheart,

Pardew’s our guy, so why not completely support him? There’s no use in being negative and since we just gave him a contract the only thing productive is to support our club and hope that Alan will maximize the team’s potential.

Ed, I think the posts are great and urge you to keep up with the back slapping until Pardew does something that warrants critique.

• darthkir

Dec 14, 2010 at 12:02 PM

i agree with beefheart… this is the sad reality…

• Rotonda heights

Dec 14, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Befheart,

I nearly always agree with you, but i do think Pardew may have somme mitigating circumstances in his defence.

He was excellent at Reading and did quite well at Wesh ham for a spell (promotion etc) He bought in Tevez and Macherano but couldn’t accommodate or make best use of them.

Next stop was Charlton who were already bottom of the league and I don’t think even Fergie could have kept them up and at Southampton he was sacked for non – footballing reasons.

He’s not my first choice by a long stretch as I’ve always thought we needed a good foreign technical coach, but c’es t la vie.

• Ciaran Thomas

Dec 14, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Yes,Sorry Beef.

• G

Dec 14, 2010 at 12:21 PM

In terms of Pards appointment, he isn’t who I wanted, I didn’t want rid of CH, however, he is here now, so we need to get behind him and do our job as fans regardless, in terms of his record prior to this job it seems to hover between stunningly average, or insane, depending on your point of view. My gut feeling says that the guy will get us relegated, however, I am, as always, happy to be proven wrong.

• wynsleap

Dec 14, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Have to agree with Captain B.
    Pardew will take us nowhere. Yes there’ll probably be a little honeymoon period when results may be acceptable (as there often is when a new manager takes over) but some time in the near future Toon supporters will once again be saying, “We have to get behind the new manager, that’s all we can do”.
    It’s like a treadmill that we can’t get off. Unfortunately treadmills don’t take you anywhere.

• Magpietillidie22

Dec 14, 2010 at 12:54 PM

I was one of the first to say Pardew out before he’d said anything but after the dust has settled i’ve come to realise REALLY its down to the players as to the success we have.

The group we have seem to play for each other and the senior players seem to have maintained a lot of say as to what goes on in football terms. I think if Ashley gives Pardew a kitty for january AND the summer and Pardew i better in the market than Hughton we could have a lot of success.

I mean the key to what we do this year under Pardew will come when we play the teams around us starting with birmingham. Under Hughton the birmingham game is one we prob would have lost or drawn like stoke, wba, fulham etc etc. This is where we need to improve, if we had won the games we SHOULD be winning we could be top of the league!

As i say though, the team looks like one of the best we’ve had without being the best quality we’ve ever had so as long as Pardew can keep them mentally on side we should be fine

• rwpoynter

Dec 14, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Captain Beefheart, I hope you are wrong , but like me you have been around for years and seen it all, and I suspect you may , long term, be proved right. Saturday was nothing to do with Pardew, it was a birthday present from the players for Hoots, who I , personally,think will become a very good manager. I hope Pardew proves me wrong but on that we shall have to wait and see, but even when we get rid of Ashley,who is likely to come in with a) the money and b) an even rudimentary idea of how to run a football club? I don’t see too many of them around and haven’t done for 50 odd years. As for Bill McGarry, I totally agree with you. If I remember rightly 80% of the first team had gone inside 6 months, and just when I thought Richard Dinnis was beginning to do a good job as manager. If Pardew doesn’t do any better than McGarry, the club will be in administration, but I am prepared to reserve judgement on him for a bit longer.

• BillBurch

Dec 14, 2010 at 12:59 PM

I’m sorry but the hysteria over CH’s sacking is wearing thin! He was a nice guy, he did well for us in the Championship but was struggling in the Prem. As I’ve said before, 5 wins out of 16 games is not good enough! Read past blogs and comments when we lost again at home or got thumped by Bolton and West Brom, the comments were more like “naive”, “no tactical nous” etc! If Martin O’Neil or Jol had been appointed there wouldn’t be as much nastiness but because it’s not a “big name” then rumours and stories abound about Pardew’s appointment. No, he wasn’t my 1st choice either in fact his name never entered my head but for God’s sake give him a fair chance!! Let’s see where Chris goes next and how well he does; I wish him all the success in the world but to call him a “great” manager at this stage in his managerial career is ridiculous! When you read some of the comments you’d believe that if Alex Ferguson retired now that Man U would appoint CH!!

• wynsleap

Dec 14, 2010 at 1:50 PM

No one suggested Hughton was a ‘great’ manager but replacing him when there was no need to, with someone with a very questionable CV, was folly.
    As the saying goes, “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it” – at least until it IS broken”.
    Jobs for the boys I’m afraid – and it stinks – just like the Ashley ownership!

• Ciaran Thomas

Dec 14, 2010 at 2:28 PM

No Beef ! Steven Stone !

• BillBurch

Dec 14, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Wynsleap
    I’ve read comments on other blogs that have claimed CH to be “great” and “the best manager we’ve had”, it’s beyond belief! I’m not running Chris down at all, I really appreciate everything that he’s done for us but if there wasn’t so much hatred of the owner the comments wouldn’t be so over-the-top. Chris has to earn his spurs as much as anyone else, player or manager and I think he’d be great in the Championship for another season.

• Captain Beefheart

Dec 14, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Ciaran@16:

These were Pardew’s words last weekend, not mine! After working with Steve Stone for 2 days he still thought he was called Simon (BBC radio interview).

Mind you it took Sir Bobby 2 seasons to remember all the player’s names – but his was the brain of a football genius so such idiosyncracies were entirely forgivable, bless him. The same is not true of AP’s brain, and is never likely to be.

“Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it.”
    George Santayana

P.S. We regularly do, George, every 2 seasons on average of late….. Nightmare.

• BillBurch

Dec 14, 2010 at 4:05 PM

So he got his name wrong big effing deal!