Do You Want Steven Taylor To Stay At Newcastle? Please Vote

We are trying to gauge the feelings of the Newcastle fans, as to whether they want local lad Steven Taylor to sign his new contract at Newcastle United.

Please vote below – one vote per reader – and let us know how you feel about this – thanks.

Do You Want Steven Taylor To Sign New Contract?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• GeordieDan

Dec 17, 2010 at 6:39 PM

I voted yes, but only because he is a Geordie and is still a very talented young defender. If it came down to whether I wanted to keep him based on his conduct off the pitch and apparent holding out for a ridiculous contract then it would definitely be no.

He needs to sort himself out otherwise he’s just going to waste the potential he showed from the beginning. Big shame

• murvar

Dec 17, 2010 at 6:44 PM

He’s a good player and a known quantity – he is Premiership quality. Why sell him and get in someone who might not be as good? The only reason to let him go would be to avoid him compromising the club’s wage structure.

• G

Dec 17, 2010 at 6:44 PM

What he ^ said.

• Fak

Dec 17, 2010 at 6:53 PM

he is a geordie and he should feel lucky that he was born as a geordie and play for his hometown till now. please stay steven taylor! stay here, and be a legend!

• Mac

Dec 17, 2010 at 6:53 PM

He just isn’t good enough. He has had so much potential for sooooo long. He really isn’t goin to improve. Tit.

• GeordieDan

Dec 17, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Mac, who is he not good enough for?

If it aint us you can bet he’s good enough for Everton or Villa, maybe Spurs? And you know he’ll turn out to be an outstanding player if we let him go.

Talent isn’t really the issue I think, its just the lad mentality. If he thinks he’s bigger than the team then bollox to him. We’d all kill to be in his position.

• willowdalerez

Dec 17, 2010 at 6:59 PM

Murvar said it all.

• Mags

Dec 17, 2010 at 6:59 PM

I’ve voted yes; however, there is a large BUT and that is if he himself wants to stay and play for us.

I don’t think he’s committed or he would have signed by now and unfortunately he has a right b******* as an agent.

• GeordieGerman

Dec 17, 2010 at 7:11 PM

I voted yes but I should have voted “No Opinion” (Abstained). I say yes because he is home grown and an adopted Geordie (not a pure Geordie, I may be old fashioned on this).
    But say no If he is going to continue holding the club to ransom.

• Geordies

Dec 17, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Unfortunately Steve Taylor is not as good as he thinks he is, spends too much time injured as well.

• moonraker

Dec 17, 2010 at 7:18 PM

I voted “no opinion” cos we’ve done without him for so long that he’s not that important now.

If he stays (and improves) then fine; if he goes he goes. End of story

• Toonmania

Dec 17, 2010 at 7:21 PM

i voted yes but only if the hold up is not about MORE money, if he wants city type wages he can go

• tcbelfast

Dec 17, 2010 at 7:25 PM

i’d be happy to see him stay as i think he is good enough to be here.why let him go to another prem club.at least get him to sign for 5 yrs then if he is still sought after sell him and hopefully get good money.
    ps……..i hope he’s not holding the club to ransom.newcastle united is bigger than any one player!!

• CT

Dec 17, 2010 at 8:27 PM

tcbelfast, welcome— did you and J get back ok?
    Hope you didn`t get too much earache after the result!! LOL!!

• Whitecap

Dec 17, 2010 at 8:47 PM

I could see why Harper is waiting on the contract. Part of it has to do with respect I think. If the club is offering him 50% of Coloccini’s wages does he feel that he is 50% of the player that Colo is?

I think therein lies the problem of giving someone a massive contract. Everyone else, especially those who have been with the team for a long time, expect to be treated fairly and similarly.

• Whitecap

Dec 17, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Did I say Harper? Wrong Steven. Taylor of course.

• kevymartins

Dec 17, 2010 at 8:58 PM

I voted yes cause lets face it. he is a very talented player he is making sol campbell look silly in are team..picture him an collo on top form ooooh im getn hard over that 1……Fu**k all dat agent contract s**t were football fans not contract fans!

• RossGellar

Dec 17, 2010 at 8:59 PM

I’d rather have Pique if I’m honest.

• Sgt. Heagerty

Dec 17, 2010 at 9:07 PM

look if he wants to be loyal and keep the newcastle strip on his back then yes i want him but if he doesnt wanna be here then no i dont want him. and that goes for anybody at our club. it really pisses me off cuz tayles is a geordie and he knows what this club means to us and he still isnt committed so if i have to go with take him or let em go i say let em go

• Solaidback

Dec 17, 2010 at 9:20 PM

I voted NO because I think his head has been turn by money & I think he’s not commited to the Toon anymore or he’d have signed his contract ages ago!!

I also don’t think he’s as good as he thinks he is, especially with all the time he’s been with us, he’s not improved that much & I don’t think he’ll improve if he plays elsewhere either, I mean, look at all the players that have left our club, can you name me any that have made significant progress in their careers, I can probably think of 1, Milner!!! anymore???

• macn0ble (Finland)

Dec 17, 2010 at 10:08 PM

Agree with Solaidback here. I think Taylor should feel privileged to wear his home town footy clubs jersey, instead he listens to that tw@t of a agent of his and whines for more money..we should sell him, we’ve got plenty of cover in that department anyway, and with 24 years of age, cannot see him taking it to the next level anyway.

• john_cena163

Dec 17, 2010 at 10:15 PM

Yes 4 me

• Dennis Twice

Dec 17, 2010 at 10:29 PM

yes of course

• slazberger

Dec 17, 2010 at 10:31 PM

@macmoble – fair enough we’ve had players like bramble who always make mistakes but to say sell him because he won’t improve at 24 is rash imo. i would say CB hit there best form after 28, look at the age of the best defenders in the world and there ages when at there peak. i’m not saying he will be world class but we shouldnt rule out his quality as a centre back at 24.

for me it is a balancing act between what he is asking for + what we can get for him compared to what we can replace him with for that value + that persons wages. i struggle to see what we can buy for the amount we can sell him for now so it will depend on the wages.

the problem is he is on FFS wages as far as i know, which in todays market are probably over priced. he will want a pay rise due to his age but newcastle should assess his potential over the next 6 years and offer a contract to suit. i personally think he is worth persevering with.

• Geordiedoonsooth

Dec 17, 2010 at 11:54 PM

I voted yes and for people to say he should be the finished article at 24 is absolutely ridiculous. Defenders & esepcially central defenders get better with age & do not reach their peak until they are at the earliest 28. Look at the number of top defenders who have gone on to play at the top until well in to their late 30’s. You can bet your bottom dollar a top side will take Steve Taylor if he leaves the toon. I would lay money he’ll play for England in the next 2-3 years.

• Brutooon

Dec 18, 2010 at 12:10 AM

He is a Geordies and (maybe) Talented but no long YOUNG. He is 24 years old. Best Defender show a A+ Performances week in week out by this time

• Toonarmy1993

Dec 18, 2010 at 12:38 AM

overall id say yes, at the end of the day there new plan involves developing youth players for the first team, so letting taylor go wouldnt be the best example for the new youth players. Wouldnt be the end of the world if he left though, as long as they got in a quality replacement, because if sol campbell is our only backup and young kadar then there could be problems.

• armajam

Dec 18, 2010 at 1:10 AM

I very rarely post my comments on here. I read everyday, almost every article on this blog.
    I went to school with Steven, and he lived just down the street from me… From what I got from him is his dream, as most other geordies dream… To play for Newcastle! He is very good defender (he kept my cousin out of RB position @ monkseaton high school). I think he is a potential england CB & I for one hope he stays @ NUFC

• nufc18

Dec 18, 2010 at 1:41 AM

I voted no opinion coz i dont care if he moves to other club. I dont see him as the first eleven team player anymore. In fact i’d like to see Kadar playing more games. BTW im from Brunei, follow nufc since the days when shearer and ferdinand played together.

• armajam

Dec 18, 2010 at 1:46 AM

and Ed, I too live in the US in Florida… I have watched every game this season. and from what I have seen so far, as you have said Newcastle have been very on & off… My opinion is that overall we have a very talented set of players, I agree that lately Jonas has not been playin his part, seems like everytime he has the ball he gives it away? However he sometimes has a fantastic game.. So what do u do with him?
    I think we have a phenomenal set of players that could possibly challenge the top 4, with a couple of sensible additions. IF & only IF they learn to play together as a team EVERY game, and not just once in a while

• sirjasontoon

Dec 18, 2010 at 7:46 AM

Cockney.

• max

Dec 18, 2010 at 8:08 AM

i really want s.taylor to stay. he is a good player from the beginning. he is like carlos puyol that have versatility to play everywhere at the back there. he can be our future captain. i hope nufc will try the best to put him stay in our club. do not sell him and land him a contract.

however, if fatty ashley wanna sell him, i hope he will sell him to chelsea with an exchange with ivanovic. i hope so..

• peterjoicey

Dec 18, 2010 at 10:49 AM

I voted no because he is prone to mistakes and does not seem too interested in remaining a Newcastle player. If he sorts his contract out and wants to stay then I’d happily keep him. The problem we had when we went down was that we were playing too many people who did not care enough, Taylor’s got to want it at Newcastle.

• toonster88

Dec 18, 2010 at 11:09 AM

voted NO.just being a geordie shouldnt be an excuse.id rather have a commited non geordie born anywhere whos willing to give 110% for the club than a hometown brat thats taking club and city for ransom.wheres the commitment steve?where are your roots?

• Gazzzz

Dec 18, 2010 at 12:28 PM

It’s a no brainer for me, of course I want him to stay, he is a quality centre half, we know what he can do! He’s been committed to Newcastle for so long now, I dont see why we should let him go when he’s at the age where we can get the best out of him. I really believe that the whole mess around his contract talks is down to his agent, rather than him; however, if he does want to play for us he needs to start taking a grasp of his own contract negotiations!