Who Is Newcastle’s Best Goalkeeper? – Please Vote

With Steven Harper returning to full fitness there will soon be some competition with your Tim Krul, as to who becomes the number one goalkeeper on Tyneside.

l

Steve Harper – nearly back to full fitness

Tim Krul has performed admirably fin the Newcastle goals since Steve was injured at Everton , and the Dutchman has played 14 consecutive games since he came on at Everton, and has conceded 27 goals in those games.

Tim talked today about Steve coming back, and this is what he had to say:

“He’s been out for three months now, and he’s back.” “The competition’s going to be on now.”“This is what I’ve been waiting for, and it’s what Harps has been waiting for.”

“It’s going to be a nice competition. I owe Harps a lot, but we’re going to fight for the shirt.”

“The banter’s always there – when he’s looking after me he’s always got a cheeky thing to say. That’s the relationship we’ve got.”

“It’s going to be good, and I just hope I can keep performing with the team and get the points on the board.”

“I’ve always said the Premier League’s the best in the world.”    “Every week and every game you learn so much. You have to be sharp every second of the game.”

“Even in the 94th minute they can do something. The Premier League’s the best, and hopefully we can stay there.”

Of course we also have another top goalkeeper, who Newcastle fans haven’t seen too much of – 22 year-old Fraser Forster, born in Hexham, who is currently on loan at Celtic.

Fraser stands a massive 6’7″, and has now played 15 times for the Glasgow giants so far this season.

Fraser Forster – in action this season for Glasgow Celtic

And as we mentioned earlier today, that is after starring for Norwich City last season, when he made 42 appearances for the East Anglia club, and was second in the voting for Norwich Player of the Season.

So rather than have a vote between Steve and Tim, we’ll also include Fraser Forster, even though we haven’t seen the youngster much playing Newcastle colors.

Each reader has just one vote – so let us know your opinion – thanks.

Who Is Currently Newcastle's Best Goalkeeper

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• GeordieGerman

Dec 17, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Voted Krul because the question is wrongly phased.

Who Is Currently Newcastle’s Best Goalkeeper?

Ed you should have left the currently out.

• GeordieGerman

Dec 17, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Or even phrased.

• technonasty

Dec 17, 2010 at 7:24 PM

I think Harps just edges it at the minute on knowing when to claim a ball but in Krul and Forster we have two very good young goalkeepers, and goalkeepers only improve with age and experience. If only we had this embarassment of riches on the wings…

• JP...from The Rock

Dec 17, 2010 at 7:26 PM

I voted for Tim Krul even though I believe Steve Harper is ‘currently’ our best Goal Keeper. I voted For Tim Krul because in my eyes he is our future number one and is not too far from Harper anyway. I think he’s ahead of Fraser Forster too. Considering Tim Krul’s age and how good he already is I must say he will be better than Harper in the long run and he is worth sticking to now that he has the shirt.

• tcbelfast

Dec 17, 2010 at 7:28 PM

i went for harps but i have to admit that timmy krul has conducted himself well since having to stand in.make sure we hold on to thme both,its good to have competition.

• whoarya

Dec 17, 2010 at 7:36 PM

We have three excellent keepers. All are better than most in the prem Ed and we don’t pick the team, but keeping everyone happy and contracted works for me.

I voted Krul because he has done well but all three are great.

I have a wonderful feeling that our “spine” is so strong and improving with keepers, Carroll, central midfield (tiote/barton/nolan) and centre halves etc that we might even win something at some stage.

What a party that would be?

• KillyMag

Dec 17, 2010 at 7:43 PM

Krul has to improve his kicking if he is to get better than Steve Harper. Its been dog shit all season. Harper is without doubt the best keeper at the club, seen a lot of Celtic this season and rate Forster on par with Krul…

• willowdalerez

Dec 17, 2010 at 7:45 PM

I voted Harper… provided he’s fully fit and back to form. Krul is still developing and in my mind could use a bit more time getting mentored by Steve before steppin’ in full-time.

As for Forster he has a massive frame but size isn’t everything, there’s quickness, agility/dexterity, timing and the mental aspect to consider as well. Until I’ve seen more of him in the Premiership I’m not willing to bet on him just b/c he’s done alright over 15 games with the Celtic and Div 1 Title/promotion to CCC w Norwich City!

• Whitecap

Dec 17, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Steven Harper definitely is Newcastle’s best goalkeeper at the moment. If we could take Harper’s brain and shove it in Krul’s body we’d have a world-class keeper. Give Krul a couple of years more experience and he just might achieve that label though.

I wish Fraser had gone to Aberdeen or Hibs or anywhere in the SPL where he would see a bit more action. Unless Celtic are playing in the Old Firm, the ball is mostly in the opposing team’s end. He could become top class as well and be very good competition for Krul next year.

• G

Dec 17, 2010 at 9:29 PM

I can’t believe anybody would believe it is anyone other than Harper. Don’t get me wrong, both FF and TK look like true future greats, however, FF lacks the vital experience for the toon, and TK still flaps the odd moment. I look forward to seeing all 3 battle for the number 1 jersey next season, if I were a betting man, then FF would be my prediction, however, anyone thinking that SH is finished or too old needs a good kick up the wrongun.

• branunited

Dec 17, 2010 at 11:59 PM

The three goalkeepers have quality, but we forgot to mention a Swedish porter 20 years of age, at least I like how he plays
    Ole Soderberg, maybe young but very talented

• Brutooon

Dec 18, 2010 at 12:07 AM

I think we got the best goalkeepers in the league. Most team would love to be in our place.

Harper first choice (mainly because his experience)

Krul 2nd Choice (he can easily goes to any BPL team and be their first choice keeper)

Forster (same as krul)

• THEZUL

Dec 18, 2010 at 11:45 AM

harper – great goal kick, good on 1 on 1
    krul – good reflect
    forster – harper+krul

• balubas1

Dec 18, 2010 at 2:55 PM

Harps is still a good goalkeeper but has become a bit slower over the years.

The only thing Krul needs to improve on is communication with the CB’s. He has every ability a goalkeeper needs. I also want to mention his gamesaving save against Liverpool. They would have gone up 2-1 and “probably” won the game.

• Abhik

Dec 18, 2010 at 4:22 PM

I voted for Fraser Forster..he should be given his chance after two great loan spell..