Joey Barton Thinks £1.5M Is A Bit Cheap For Him

Newcastle midfielder Joey Barton has today laughed off  the news that Newcastle wanted to sell him next month for a ridiculously low fee of  £1.5M.

Joey Barton – we want this player to stay at Newcastle

The news was direct from Sky Sports, and we are just pleased that the reaction to that story is laughable, because there’s just no way we want to Joey to leave.

We have to admit to being a little concerned when we saw the story, because Sky Sports News is usually quite fair with their reporting, but it looks like it’s simply untrue.

In fact we want the Newcastle club to start negotiating a new long term deal for the Liverpudlian – whoops I meant to say Evertonian.  Sorry Joey – honest.

The 28-year-old will be out of contract a year come June, and if he stays unsigned too much longer,  than a number of clubs will want to sign him – there’s no doubt about that.

And apart from his recent daftness with Morten Pedersen, he has managed to corral his on-field and off-field bad behavior – to his credit.

And Joey has said more than once he wants to stay at Newcastle for the rest of his career, and given how well he’s managed to control his demons, since he served time in jail over two years ago, we hope he stays on Tyneside.

Joey talked to BBC Radio 5 Live today about the Sky Sports nonsense (thank goodness):

“I was actually laughing about it this morning, saying that I thought £1.5M was a little bit cheap and if I was them, I would ask for more, and we had a good giggle about it.”

“People write what they write, it is silly season. I have always gone on record about the affinity I have got with the fans at this football club, and the football club and my fellow players.”

“I have been on record as saying I want to stay here for the rest of my career.” “Nothing has happened and no-one has told me otherwise, and as far as I’m concerned, that’s what’s going to happen.”

It seems that Alan Pardew has quickly bought into the Newcastle team spirit, and obviously wants to maintain it and is desperate to keep the two top local lads, Andy Carroll and Steven Taylor to stay with him.

It also seems that Joey also wants to keep everybody who’s currently at the club.

Joey continued:

“I don’t want anyone to go. I’m quite happy with the squad.” “Maybe I would like to add an additional couple of players to push the team and just strengthen us as a group.”

“But the starting XI is a strong starting XI and it would be difficult to find somebody to go in there at this time.”

“I don’t want to upset the balance they have and the spirit they have, so I’m doing my utmost to make sure the players we do have here want to play for Newcastle.”

The best thing Newcastle have had going for them in the last 18 months is the Newcastle team spirit, and if we can maintain that – we have every chance of keeping up and even doing quite well this season – and that would be fantastic.

Howay The Lads!!

• dave 1961

Dec 22, 2010 at 4:44 PM

I have been hunting down any link between the QATAR FOUNDATION & Newcastle united football club and although theirs now mountains of storeys about a likely take over, but sadly everything goes back to the daily mail article, & the only thing that is evident is the sponsorship with Barcelona, & the 2022 world cup, they (QATAR FOUNDATION)seemed to be in contact with spurs over the naming rights to their new stadium (the Olympic stadium) that west ham made the first Bid for, as Tottenham could not raise the £500 million to build a new stadium, and this has seemed to of stalled over the Jewish links to Tottenham, so unless the Qatar Foundation suddenly thinks of backing the daily mail, we are stuck with Ashley for now. at least.

• GeordieGerman

Dec 22, 2010 at 4:56 PM

According to “The Sun” Qatar are after Manure.

• veto

Dec 22, 2010 at 5:01 PM

cant say im happy about the toons transfer policy these days, what’s keeping things positive is the knowledge we have a canny decent squad in the making with joey and the like adding experience meaning there is space to bring youngsters through this squad in the knowledge we have a steady head or two in the thick of things .
    howay mike , tie these lads down to new contracts for us .
    joey , nolan , jose should be tied down for the rest of their years with us , then the whole youth policy could work

• GeordieGerman

Dec 22, 2010 at 5:15 PM

To subject, Would Barton take a reduced wage? Let’s say £45,000? £15,000 sounds a lot, but if you were on £600 a week and your boss said you can only stay if you accept £450 a week what would you do? I’d be pretty miffed. Unless my boss offered me a revenue related bonus. Or in Joey’s case. Goals scored, goals set up, games won, position at the end of the season, ect.

• GeordieGerman

Dec 22, 2010 at 5:22 PM

I loved this part:
    “I don’t want to upset the balance they have and the spirit they have, so I’m doing my utmost to make sure the players we do have here want to play for Newcastle”.

veto, don’t start asking or telling Ashley to get people under contract. We did that with Chris.

• cupiddstunt

Dec 22, 2010 at 5:59 PM

The problem with this question GG at #4 is people always try to equate being a high level professional footballer with it being a job, yes I agree it is a “job” but not in the sense that it can be compared any other job.

I do a job of work and as such have little or no bargaining power as I can easily be replaced, but a pro footballer is supplying a very particular service which depending on the level of skill/service can be almost impossible to replace and because of this they have bargaining power.

An extended contract may encourage Joey to take a drop in weekly wage but I doubt it, if MA tries to be too hardnosed in negotiations I can see Joey moving on if for no other reason than he will get offers from other clubs who are prepared to pay the bigger wages.

Sadly it’s just a fact of life with football, you just have to look at the way old crumple face at spuds is trying to stir the s**t by dropping hints into the rumor mills of offers of 20 mill for bigger boy, there’s still lots of clubs that will risk the big wages if they think the player can drag them a couple of places higher up the league.

• GeordieGerman

Dec 22, 2010 at 6:30 PM

cupiddstunt, (love the anagram by the way), Pardew has said he hasn’t been contacted from any clubs. Can only think that all we are reading, at present, is media crap. I’m not one for picking teams for the next match, or saying who we should buy, who we should sell (but I know who we should keep) I’m not the manager it’s not my job and if Pardew comes on here, I don’t think he gives a damn about my advice.

I do however think that when Pardew says Andy, Joey or who ever are not for sale he is telling the truth (and with Ashley’s backing). Going from all the “sound bites” Pardew is making I think he is desperate to be accepted from us (the fans). To come out as a liar, another one? Wouldn’t help.

• Flop

Dec 22, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Good lad Joey, with your current form I’m happy to let you stay for the rest of your career. Another good performance against Man City please.

• chuck

Dec 22, 2010 at 6:56 PM

Think Joey is worth a bit more than a buck fifty !
    And hey if i had another year at sixty grand a week , why would i want to leave ?
    I can see the two football genius`s Ash & Derick attempting to reduce the bill, but c`mon. we could be fourth from the bottom in a week, this is no time to get rid of good players.
    Especially Joey who is justifying his salary by playing some of the best football we have seen from him of late.
    Probably rumor, then who knows ?

On another subject, looks as if Houllier wants rid of both Ireland and Dunne, Ireland wants his career back on track and is one of the best inside forwards in the country on his day.
    Would`nt come cheap but who knows ?
    Dunne is still a decent defender and could give us a good coupla years and should`nt cost a lot.
    both guys are desperate to get outta Villa, some-thing to consider.

• john_cena163

Dec 22, 2010 at 7:36 PM

5mill + smith for tim cahill.

• slazberger

Dec 22, 2010 at 7:47 PM

what about a swap smith for that south african guy at everton? he is out of contract in the summer and it would get smith off our wage bill

also saw this saying ranger was going to start against the brummies

• slazberger

Dec 22, 2010 at 7:49 PM

* Pienaar

• baro

Dec 22, 2010 at 8:01 PM

All i hope we get out of the Man City game is a big win and a broken leg of De Jong. I would hope AP puts Smith in last 10 minutes so he can go shatter De Jong’s legs. That would be awesome!

• john_cena163

Dec 22, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Slazberger@ would love piennar, but cahill would b great.
    Krul
    Danny-s.taylor-colo-jose

A.johnson-toto-arfa

Cahill

Ranger-Carrol

• john_cena163

Dec 22, 2010 at 8:11 PM

Baro@ dnt think dat thug wl play against us, he knows joey is waitn to show him who is the boss.

• slazberger

Dec 22, 2010 at 8:12 PM

@john_cena163 – i agree, but couldnt see everton selling or us signing him not without a bidding war anyway.

the trick seems to be to keep any player a team wants out of the papers so harry@spurs doesnt read how good someone is and tries to sign them.

• GeordieGerman

Dec 22, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Baro, think de Jong has a virus. Or at least that’s what will be said.

• Spuggy

Dec 22, 2010 at 8:35 PM

Dennis Wise refused to sell Carroll and signed a new contract with him and didn’t sign Nacho or Xisco…..

Interesting.

• GeordieGerman

Dec 22, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Spuggy, Dennis Wise cleans his teeth with toilet paper.

• Spuggy

Dec 22, 2010 at 8:55 PM

lol – still no one knows the truth, there are three sides to every story.

• Jose Enrique

Dec 22, 2010 at 9:09 PM

just what i wanted to hear, best news all season 😀

• traceline

Dec 22, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Good man Joey. You are a light for us.

• Thump

Dec 22, 2010 at 9:40 PM

• daffy

Dec 22, 2010 at 11:10 PM

Thug
    End of.

• slazberger

Dec 22, 2010 at 11:22 PM

not talking about cat-mole daffy

• BiffBaffBoff

Dec 22, 2010 at 11:28 PM

@chuck #9

We dont need Ireland, we have Nolan who plays in the same position as Ireland, if we signed Ireland it would just be as a squad player because hes cerainly not taking Nolans place because I know who i’d rather have. 🙂

• daffy

Dec 22, 2010 at 11:43 PM

Na Catts is a tough tackling footballer , bites ya legs , gets yellow + red cards but aint a thug,
    Barton is a thug + will never change as shown recently v Pederson + his gesture to Torres.
    Leopard / spots.

• slazberger

Dec 22, 2010 at 11:55 PM

na black and white stripes not leapard spots lol.

catts is a bad tackling footballer. goes in like titus used to for us (dont know what hes like now) went in hard and fast all he had to do was miss time it and would be in the book.

those incidents were nowt but handbags, fair enough he has a past but is doing well off the field and playing well on it.

• Brutooon

Dec 22, 2010 at 11:57 PM

ask 1 million people this question and i can bet 99.99% think 1.5million is TOOO cheap.

1.5 Million value is someone like Alan Smith or maybe Perch

• slazberger

Dec 23, 2010 at 12:04 AM

just paper talk brutooon. it shows how well the team is playing when they get linked with other teams. one of the teams linked with him was west ham and there giving a medical to sidwell.

• colwell

Dec 23, 2010 at 12:10 AM

Theres not much of a comparison between Barton and Cattermole is there, two different types of players Cattermole plays the same as TIOTE just no where near as good and never will be.

• mashearer

Dec 23, 2010 at 3:21 AM

off topic here..when will the club announce new asst.manager?didnt jose tweet that 2 days ago

• Teamstoof

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Hi,
    I am frpm sweden and have planned to come over for sundays game. What do you all think about it? Will it be cancelled?

Here in Sweden we have a huge snow storm..

• MacToon

Dec 23, 2010 at 10:00 AM

Don’t think it will be cancelled Teamstoof but the airports might be effected, If the council clear the snow around the ground it should go ahead…….. but more snow is forcast!

• balubas1

Dec 23, 2010 at 3:15 PM

Barton is a geordie! Barton is a geordie! And Jesus aswell!

Merry x-mas!

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Dec 24, 2010 at 7:41 AM

Firstly i,me a bit concerned with the phycopathic comments about broken legs and the causing of! While not condoning De Jong for what he did, you are all either having a joke or you could be appearing at The Old Bailey in the not too distant future! Joey also has a dodgy charachter and is no angel!

Secondly, returning to the artikle, if one places oneself in the shoes of a prospective buyer, then his value is reduced every time he does something stupid. However, it would remain to be seen if Joey would get so much bad press if was at another club. Just recently, we have had some shite decisions made by the FA with TV pictures condemning Williamson and Joey. The incidents which happened are of the similar ilk to things which happen in every game every week. This prompted me to think of the word “WITCHHUNT”. Collo was a clear red and was a justified ban!

Returning to the City game, lets just hope we get a decent ref if the game is played!
    Enjoy your Turkry Lads.