Newcastle manager Alan Pardew has come out today and said that midfielder Joey Barton will not be leaving St James’ Park in the January transfer window.
Joey Barton – going nowhere – and that’s nice to hear
Since the news was put out yesterday by Sky Sports we are really pleased that Alan has denied that today – because selling Joey would be very hard to take for Newcastle fans, after we’ve already lost manager Chris Hughton.
West Ham and Aston Villa had been linked with the 28-year-old for a ridiculous price of just £1.5M, and the story was linked with Joey’s huge contract on Tyneside running out in 18 months time.
But Pardew has told the Newcastle Journal today:
“We don’t want to do any business.”“Part of my first week or so here has been spent trying to analyze what is the situation with the players we have.”
“And then try to secure their positions before we start looking elsewhere.”
“That’s been my main focus, rather than looking at other players who could raise the level here.”
Barton has only appeared 60 games for Newcastle since arriving in 2007 for £5.8M from Man City, who Newcastle play next Sunday afternoon.
Joey loves it on Tyneside, and has been one of Newcatsle’s top players this season back in the Premier League.
We don’t just want to see Joey not to leave but we also want Newcastle to tie him down at the club with another contract.
We’ll just have to wait and see on that one of course.