Alan Pardew Paramount In Getting Taylor Deal Signed

Steven Taylor has talked at length about signing his new contract at his local club, Newcastle United, today.

Steven Taylor – seems really delighted to be staying on Tyneside

And it appears that it was the arrival of new manager Alan Pardew that got things moving on a deal that had been a full 12 months in negotiations, and got the Board and Alan’s agent Paul Stretford to reach a deal for the Greenwich-born and very experienced center-back.

Steven Taylor waxed lyrical about everything and everybody today, as he is obviously delighted to be staying at the Newcastle club, which he’s supported since he was a boy:

“The board have been absolutely fantastic – I am delighted with a five-and-a-half-year contract.” “I always wanted an extension to my existing contract.”

“The club are going forward now, and I want to be part of that.” “The new manager has come in and he has had a massive part to play.”

“The first day he came in, he sat me down and said he wanted my future resolved.” “I was over the moon, and I was glad he got the ball rolling. For me to sign this contract means so much.”

“I want to be part of this football club for the next five and a half years.” “I will be happy running out in front of 52,000 for the next five and a half years – by then I will be grey and old!”

Taylor had even been put on the transfer list since late August, and at the time he came out and said he wanted to stay at Newcastle, but his agent Paul Stretford wasn’t making any quick deals it seems, and seemed to be driving the Newcastle hierarchy nuts.

And Steven is taking the opportunity to say that he;s never once criticized the club and never wanted to leave, which is true, but why did it take so long to sign ta deal?

Steven continued:

“I have never once criticized the club.” “I am not one of those players you see in football who, if things are not going well or if they do not get a contract, have a moan.”“I have never once said I wanted to leave this club.” “All the time I wanted to stay – it was between my agent and the board.”

“It was totally business at the end of the day. They were just trying to get something sorted.” “A few players have signed five-year contracts.”

“I wanted stability at this football club, and they have proved they wanted me for the next five and a half years.”

“That is all I cared about. There is a structure at this football club and I am happy with that.”

One reason it would have been tragic if Steven had been allowed to leave is that he came through the Newcastle Academy, as did another local boy, Andy Carroll, and both players are proof of how the Newcastle club can capture the best local talent on Tyneside.

And it gives local lads every reason to believe that if they are good enough they can play for their local club, and they don’t have to look elsewhere like other top youngsters like Alan Shearer, as just one example, have done in the past.

Taylor added:

“I joined the club as a boy and feel confident I can fulfil all my professional ambitions here at my hometown club.”

“Throughout the past few months I have never lost hope everything could be sorted and that I could stay here and play for this fantastic club.”

“I would like to thank the fans for their support throughout the contract negotiations, and I will look to repay them with my on-field performances. Also, thanks to Chris Hughton for bringing me back into the team.”

“To Alan Pardew, who made it clear from day one he wanted me to stay at the club, to the board and management for their willingness to work together to find an agreement and finally to my agent Paul Stretford for always having my best interests at heart.”

We’ve always rated Steven at the Newcastle club, and his performances in the last four games suggests he can do a big job for Newcastle in the years ahead, when hopefully Newcastle fans will see some success come the club’s way – for a change.

We only live in hope – we always live in hope. 😀

Howay The Lads!!

• GeordieGerman

Dec 27, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Oh, my the door bell just rang. Must be the undertakers.

• Malaysia-RASHID

Dec 27, 2010 at 1:28 PM

And that same paper reports that Chelsea have emerged as favourites for Southampton’s £10 million-rated teenager Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain. Fulham, Arsenal and Liverpool have also expressed an interest.

What about us?

• carrollsinger

Dec 27, 2010 at 2:30 PM

We don’t have 10 mill

• Toon1978

Dec 27, 2010 at 2:31 PM

Good news about Steven Taylor. I do however feel that we will lose Carroll in January if not then in August. Seems City and Spurs, Man utd and Chelsea want to take him away from us our only good striker. Makes me sick.

• fungus44

Dec 27, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Andy will not go he is living the dream of every toon fan,wearing the number 9 shirt .He will be like shearer was when man u came for him ,and say no i am at my home club to stay.WE now need Barton,Ben afra,and jose to sign new contract,s and we sorted

• GeordieGerman

Dec 27, 2010 at 3:20 PM

Toon1978, have to agree with fungus44. If he ever went he would probably have to go abroad. It would break his heart and ours if he ever scored a goal against us.

• Sav

Dec 27, 2010 at 4:43 PM

Ed, your headline should read:
    ‘” Stretford has heart” claims Steven Taylor’

Having got his extension, his next task is to prove he is worth a start ahead of Williamson, which so far, he hasn’t. His preferment smacked of a bit of schmoozing by Pards to get him to sign up. If that’s the case, let selection be entirely on merit now, as both players are on long contracts. Maybe Taylor can press Danny Simpson a bit harder, too.

• baro

Dec 27, 2010 at 5:26 PM

So So So! Glad that he signed a new long term deal!
    To me he is our best defender on this team besides Jose Enrique. Steven Taylor is young and is a Geordie!

• chuck

Dec 27, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Dont get it !
    The guy signs a five in`a half year contract, meaning he wants to spend the majority of his career at his home town club.
    What has taken place has nothing to do with the fans, a private negotiating, regarding his contract,
    negotiated by his agent on his behalf with Ashley and his crowd.
    So why is it certain fans want to dump on the guy,
    (have a personal dislike ?) hey it`s just business !
    Face it he would have been a big loss (both his agent and Ashley knew that) and the hammer was with the agent, simple as that.
    Look the guy could have said screw it , i`m off and would have had no difficulty finding a side .
    Who being there was no fee involved could have brought him a higher salary perhaps.
    We dont know because we are still unaware of the amount settled on.
    So enough with the snide stuff, the guys a Newcastle player for the next five years, get behind him.
    And grow up this is a business, nothing personal, unless it`s your naive opinions.

• baro

Dec 27, 2010 at 5:48 PM

Plllleaaaseeee SIGN UP!!! This site is an very easy way to get paypal and amazon gift cards, and MUCH MORE. All you have to do is answer surveys and do offers , that you don’t need real information. There is a contest to see who can get the most people to sign up. PLEASE!!

• GeordieGerman

Dec 27, 2010 at 5:57 PM

I think Ashley knows who he has to keep to get us anywhere in the PL. Andy, Ranger, Taylor (have I missed anyone)? All have new long term contracts. I can only see three reasons.
    1. He wants to make this club a success and earn.
    2. He wants to make this club a success and sell.
    3. (I don’t trust him) By giving the players long term contracts and raises their value.

I’m not to worried about January. But August. That makes me nervous.

• G

Dec 27, 2010 at 7:05 PM

Chuck @ post 9. I don’t get it either. I have a couple of theories on the subject in terms it, but people seem to hate him because of errors, I have seen him make a few, but then again, I have seen John Terry, Rio Ferdinand, and all of the other top dollar centre halves make those errors too. Seems to me that the main protagonists who would willingly let him go seem to fall mainly into 2 categories: Firstly, those who only see the games on TV, therefore they only witness his on-the-ball contribution and not his all round obvious talent. Secondly, we have the computer game fan, who takes statistics from a database as fact, as well as in game form. We have one at work who thinks he speaks knowledgeably about all players, but his wife dropped him in it at a work do and stressed that he doesn’t even watch MOTD! Other than that, the only other reasonable explanation I can have about people keen on letting ST go, is that there are a hell of a lot of toon fans that are idiots? So who knows.

• chuck

Dec 27, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Look what may appear quite a lot of money, in a few years could seem paltry.
    After all, it`s not that long ago that Roy Keane demanded fifty thouusand or more per week, thereby breaking the supposed salary cap at Man. U.
    I recall some of the comments at the time, greedy barsteward , etc.
    Point is it`s probably better for top players to sign short contracts, as no one can predict with any certainty what will be considered affordable two or more years from now.
    Plus there`s the opportunity to wait out the club and threaten or in fact become a free agent(Bosman) therefore going into negatiations free
    from having the additional payment of a transfer fee from the negotiating side.
    With some of the present enormous amounts being paid to players at Citeh, Chelsea, Man.U. and others, where will it end.
    Probably the enforced ruling about to go into effect, limiting the size of squads and regulating the number of home grown players as a percentage of that squad.
    Personally i dont see it happening, Why ?
    Do you think an organization like FIFA or EUAFA can dictate to billionaire owners, as to how they should run their clubs, unlikely !
    But i`m sure they will negotiate some sort of agreement, that could be used as a way of introducing a salary cap, only it wont be actually called that, for obvious reasons.

• G

Dec 27, 2010 at 7:37 PM

I think there are all sorts of loopholes which will still allow all of the big financial players to exploit salary caps (image rights, performance bonuses, etc), but I deffo think FIFA are taking the problem seriously. In theory, we could have a level playing field for the first time since the 80’s in the next 3 or 4 years. If they don’t enforce this, then I think it may be a time for an en-mass breakaway from FIFA, however, as you quite rightfully point out Billionaire owners will not rule in favour of the common man, but chase the mighty dollar.

• MacToon

Dec 27, 2010 at 8:12 PM

Glad he’s signed but I think our best back 4 would have STaylor @ RB and Williamson in with Colo, obviously Enrique LB.

Best MF, Barton, Tiote and?

Best forward, Big Andy and? maybe Ranger…….

• G

Dec 27, 2010 at 8:17 PM

Still not convinced by the idea of ST at RB like MacToon. I seen him play there out of pure nescessity, however, he didn’t look comfortable. DS seems to have improved his game and style of play this season, and I see no reason to mess with that. Considering what he cost too, bargain.

• MacToon

Dec 27, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Lol, he’s done great attacking down the right wing @ times from RB but we all have opinions.

After I posted I actually thought it’d be a shame for Simpson to lose a place as he’s improved and done ok.

• G

Dec 27, 2010 at 9:11 PM

Agreed, he does have a style of play which infuriates most people. Most of us like to see the full back shut down the player first chance, but Simmo likes to stand off, then look for the attack opportunity, rather than the defensive approach. This infuriates most people, but I can see the merits, as well as the deficit. I like what I see in DS, and I would like to think he will get better than he is. Its one of those things though, that only time will tell.

• BWFFBW

Dec 28, 2010 at 1:01 AM

Is Taylor cut out for us now? I will be honest, I just love the local lads and will give them more than a chance. My concern with Taylor is he can’t hack it. Chrissy played others before him, so my concern is high for what we might be spending here. He played ok against City, but nothing to write home about…

Black and White Forever, Forever Black and White

• greatnavi

Dec 28, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Stevie is a young man, only 24. Guys plz give him some time. DOnt have over the roof expectation from this lad and eventually becoming famous that this club and its supporters are known for theire over ambitious approoach. Stevie has all the attributes to be an England star! For God’s sake give this guys ome time!!