Breaking News – Steven Taylor Signs New Contract – At Last

Good news for Newcastle fans this morning, in that Steven Taylor has signed his new contract at Newcastle United.

Steven Taylor – will be at Newcastle until the summer of 2016

And the new deal is again for five and a half years, and will keep Steven at Newcastle until the summer of 2016 – when he will be 30  years old – and that sounds good to us.

Mike Williamson, Andy Carroll and Nile Ranger have also signed new deals recently,  which keep them at the club until the same time.

This is what a seemingly delighted Steven said after signing:

“I am absolutely delighted to have agreed terms with the club on a new long term contract that will see me play for Newcastle United in my prime years.”

“I joined the club as a boy and feel confident that I can fulfill all my professional ambitions here at my hometown club.”

“Throughout the past few months I have never lost hope that everything could be sorted,  and that I could stay here and play for this fantastic football club.”

“I would like to thank the fans for their support throughout the contract negotiations and I’ll look to repay them with my performances in the black and white shirt.”

“Also Chris Hughton for bringing me back into the team and  Alan Pardew who made it clear from day one that he wanted me to stay at the club.”

“Also the board and management for their willingness to work together to find an agreement and finally my agent Paul Stretford for always having my best interests at heart.”

Well Steven thanked everybody there – the only one missing was Santa Claus. 😀

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew was obviously pleased to have secured a top prospect for Newcastle United and said today:

“I’ve always really admired Steven Taylor and I thought it was imperative that we kept him here.”

“He’s still young, he’s a Geordie and he’s a top defender.”

“He’s played a lot of games for somebody his age, played in Europe and captained his country at under-21 level, and that says everything you need to know about him.”

“Steven is somebody who can be a bedrock of our defense for a long time to come, and it’s great news that he’s staying.”

“I made it one of my priorities when I arrived. Steven is just the sort of player that we need to keep at this club.”

In our poll a full 74% wanted Steven to sign his new deal, and now they’ve all got their wish.

And we always wanted the two local lads Andy Carroll and Steven Taylor to stay on Tyneside, because it’s important to always have some Geordies in the Newcastle side, and these two lads are two of our best players too.

For the record Steven has now played 177 times for Newcastle United with 10 goals, but of course  he missed many many games this year, with his two serious injuries, but as Steven hinted last week, the year’s ended on a very positive note.

We think this is great news and a coup for new Newcastle manager Alan Pardew.

• alkinou

Dec 27, 2010 at 11:09 AM

Good news!

Do you think that this could be compared to the Rooney saga except that the media didn’t blow this out of proportion because it was less interesting?

• shear-class

Dec 27, 2010 at 11:22 AM

Were does all the hype come from with Steven Taylor i dont think hes that good he quite regular makes silly little mistakes that cost the team,I beleive he makes good centre halves that play alongside him look ordinary i wouldnt have been dissapointed to see him go

• alkinou

Dec 27, 2010 at 11:26 AM

(just a question)

• AussieToon

Dec 27, 2010 at 11:27 AM

Good news! The great thing about all the players committing long term to the club, it shows that there is a good atmosphere at the club internally and everyone is on the same page. We are not paying the huge wage amounts we were under Sheperd so it has to come down to players wanting to play for the shirt. There can be no bigger positive than that in my opinion.

We are not far away from having a top class team. Sign Ben Arfa and another winger of good quality, another striker to help out Carroll and a bit more depth and we can push for higher things in the near future.

Some good signs happening at our beloved club. Great to see!

• Ghali

Dec 27, 2010 at 11:31 AM

I never lost faith,i always knew he would sign no matter how much the media said he wouldn’t..i knew that he had the club in his heart when he kicked the ball in frustration when we got relegated against villa that day.i can never take that picture of my mind until this day.
    Good player with Great prospects
    Hope he proves me right

• lewman

Dec 27, 2010 at 11:34 AM

he is great if we want to attack all game but when it comes to sitting back i would play williamson as taylor can just be a tad unpredictable. still its good news but does anyone know what his contract is

• will die for the toon army

Dec 27, 2010 at 11:41 AM

My back line:
    ………………………..Krul
    Simpson………S.Taylor……..Williamson…….Enrique

I have lost hope in Colo jst like Jonas they both blow hot and cold

• hypno geordie

Dec 27, 2010 at 11:51 AM

Great news! Now we can wait til the end of the season and sell him for decent money!

• lou9brasil

Dec 27, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Bit worried that Mancini had come out and said he is interested in Carroll.. Ashley must have a party going on his pants he knows with all this interest a bidding war will happen which means Man City will get him for something like 45 mil, and how much of that u reckon will go back into player investment…………….. A big fat zero it’s going straight into ashleys bank account!!!!!

• GeordieGerman

Dec 27, 2010 at 12:08 PM

lou9brasil, don’t start.

• geoff777

Dec 27, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Great news after a disappointing result yesterday.

Although the fighting performance made me very proud of the team.

HWTL

Just need Joey and Enrique to sign new contracts now.

• Brutooon

Dec 27, 2010 at 12:50 PM

good for him

Next for Saylor : Go for the England Senior Cap !

• tcbelfast

Dec 27, 2010 at 12:50 PM

fantastic news!!,glad to hear he has signed a new deal.at least if he does leave in the future the club can now get a good price rather than have seen him leave for pennies in january……..not that i want to see him leave.it shows that there is a good atmosphere in the dressing room ,more than is happening at a lot of other clubs.hwtl

• leedodd

Dec 27, 2010 at 12:54 PM

We all Knew Steven Would Sign Its Good News !!!! Onwards and Upwards.

• Obafan

Dec 27, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Good news???? The guy is just an average player; I cannot see why he started yesterday instead of Williamson. So disappointed I was really hoping we could get rid of this clown!

• thepict

Dec 27, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Seems to me that every time Taylor’s contract comes up for renewal , he leaves it to the last minute tore-sign. No doubt in 5& a1/2 years time we will see the same thing occurring again.

• GeordieTwo

Dec 27, 2010 at 6:49 PM

It seems reasonable to sign him. Colo wasn’t good enough on the second goal and is vastly overpaid. Time to move him on. Develop Kadar. Too bad we lost Bassong to the owners greed. He is developing well now.

• cg

Dec 27, 2010 at 10:39 PM

Am I the only one who is not overly excited about staylor? Carol out and what do we have at the top?
    Need some proper backup in January. And please god do not say ameobi.

Also I agree on bassong, big loss, good lad.