Seb Bassong Still Has Great Affection For Newcastle Club

Seb Bassong was at Newcastle for just 10 months, but that didn’t stop him being our Player of the Season during our relegation season 2008-2009,  with a massive 65% of the vote.

Seb Bassong – while at Newcastle a couple of years ago

Seb talked today about this afternoon’s game in which it looks like he’ll get a star for Tottenham:

“We are at home in this game and I know the Newcastle will bring a lot of fans with them as always.” “There will be more Spurs fans there of course but you will hear the Newcastle fans a lot too.”

“When I was at Newcastle, the supporters were just unbelievable to me.” “They were such a great support for any young player.”

“They loved me and I loved them back.” “I hope that when I go back to Newcastle they won’t boo me too much.”

“It will be a special game for me.” “This is the first time I will be playing against Newcastle since I left the club.”

“Therefore a big game such as this, against my old team makes for a big game indeed.” “Newcastle was my first year in England and it was an enjoyable time for me.”

“The reason I am playing in the Premier League and Champions League is because of Newcastle United.” “I owe it all to them.”

Bassong  was not in the Spurs side that did so well on Boxing Day in beating Aston Villa away with just 10 men, after Jermaine Defoe was sent off in the first half.

But it makes sense for Redknapp to bring the Cameroon International in  to play against his former club,  which it seems he still has a great affection for.

It will be an interesting battle between Seb and big Andy Carroll of course, but Bassong is a good player,  and he was one we lost when the club was relegated.

Bassong continued:

“We are in good form.” “But Newcastle is a tough team, they are playing well enough and I have watched many games on TV.”

“That means it will be a tough game.” “We must be ready for a tough challenge.”

Bsssong will get the chance of marking Andy Carroll, which he probably did many times in training when he was at Newcastle for 10 months, after he arrived in the summer of 2008 from Metz,  for a paltry £500K.

Bssong is one of the best buys Newcastle have made in the last several years, and of course we sold him to Tottenham for around £8M in the summer of last year.

Seb talked about big Andy Carroll, who has been setting the Premier League on fire this season:

“Andy is doing well.” “He is in great, great form and he has had a rapid promotion through the ranks for his club and his country.”

“I am really happy at what he is doing to be honest.” “He has worked hard for years and years and we must now be at our best to deal with him.”

Bassong is a strong and physical player, but he;ll have to be at his very best this afternoon if he is to corral big Andy, who was terrific for Newcastle on Boxing day in  the losing cause against Man City.

• Brutooon

Dec 28, 2010 at 1:16 PM

We need to find another “bassong” signing

this guy is excellent, cheap, unknown and the important thing he is GOOD

• ToonAndy

Dec 28, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Hey,
    Does any1 know a website where i can watch the match tonight??

Thanks

• Jarra

Dec 28, 2010 at 1:18 PM

It is no suprise with these matches coming thick and fast that it will show the lack of depth due to injuries and suspensions in support of our starting 11.
    So it will be good to see how we do in the transfer window
    I am interested to see the team and formation AP puts out today.
    He has options in formations which could be three at the back and play a 3 – 5 – 2.
    In this formation we have a few more choices with 3 outta 4 centre backs, I would play Simpson and Ferguson as the wing backs with Tiote, Barton and another holding the middle.
    I would like to see that as I believe we would be solid at the back yet could still break with speed with Carroll and Ranger up front.
    I am also supporting Pardew as he is feeding me with confidence with what he is saying, because quite simply he is communicating with us in a manner I appreciate.
    Well done mate I hope you are a success.

• Rylandhall

Dec 28, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Jose Enrique is out for the match at WHL this afternoon with a sore hamstring… real bad news both stopping Lennon and going forward. Think this will really hamper us today. Leaked on his twitter an hour ago… not sure Pardew will be too pleased. Our very own version of Wikileaks!…

JoseNUFC3: “Sorry lads i have a test this morning and we decide is better dont play if no im in 100×100. Im so hungry because this game is nice to play”… “We dont know yet the formation but sure i dont play. Is my hamstring is so stiff today but next game i can play sure is just 2 or 3days”

Heard it hear first!..

• Toon1978

Dec 28, 2010 at 1:21 PM

F..K Bassong, at NUFC for 10 months and at the first sign of trouble jumped ships and left us high and dry. Awesome defender but another player who has no morals and does not know the meaning of LOYALTY. Sorry to all you pro Bassong but he shat on us as did Owen, Duff, Beye just to name a few and where are they now………languishing on the benches of other clubs or struggling at the bottom. F..k them all.

• Toon1978

Dec 28, 2010 at 1:23 PM

Jarra

I would love to see Ferguson get a game today but we also have Kadar.

• keegan trio

Dec 28, 2010 at 1:24 PM

our future midfield if we can get our targets
    barton tiote gosling kranjcar
    ben arfa

• Toon1978

Dec 28, 2010 at 1:25 PM

What about Vuckic????

• Sav

Dec 28, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Toon 1978, Ashley was glad to get the money for him. We (he) made a big profit on Seb, unlike Owen, Martins, Viduka or Duff. Not really any hard feelings. he is a career footballer and fair enough.

I hope he gets mullered today.

• alex84

Dec 28, 2010 at 1:34 PM

anyone seen the rubbish about liverpool ready to beat us to having ben arfa on a permanant in the summer?

• GeordieGerman

Dec 28, 2010 at 1:36 PM

• Toon1978

Dec 28, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Sav

I do not dispute the fact that Ashley made a huge profit BUT at the time we were a club in crisis and it was a time when we needed our best players but did they care…….not a chance. Its the supporters that suffer the most at the end of the day.

• ToonAndy

Dec 28, 2010 at 2:03 PM

Thanks GG 😀

Howay Tha Toon!!!

• allan666

Dec 28, 2010 at 2:08 PM

todays team news any one

• sweendog

Dec 28, 2010 at 2:09 PM

Allan666

krul
    Perch Colo Taylor Simpson
    Routledge Barton Tiote Jonas Smith
    Carroll

Bit defensive IMO

• CT

Dec 28, 2010 at 2:10 PM

The formation today will be key to whether we get anything from the game, maybe to counter Lennon/Bale we need 3:5;2 formation using wingbacks who have pace and who can support going forward(plus injuries/suspended Nolan
    limits our options)
    ————Krul
    —-Taylor–Williams–Colo
    Simpson–Barton–Tiote–Guthrie–Jonas
    ———–Carrol

• sweendog

Dec 28, 2010 at 2:11 PM

perch and smith .. a draw an I’ll be laughing .. can’t see it .. perch and routledge against the best LW in England .. f**k ..

• ToonAndy

Dec 28, 2010 at 2:13 PM

CT … Your only putting 10 men out??

I’m not that confidentin us m8 haha!!

• sweendog

Dec 28, 2010 at 2:13 PM

getting worried already .. either a masterstroke or a crazy selection …
    must be 2 DM ..
    4-2-3-1 formation by the looks of things .. hope guti and routledge attack well or we’re done for ..

• Toon1978

Dec 28, 2010 at 2:18 PM

sweendog
    My thoughts also, Perch will get ripped apart. Pardew looks like he knows his tactics lol hmmmmmmm we’ll see.

• magfly

Dec 28, 2010 at 2:20 PM

Hers hoping smith and perch do a good job tooday but I am slightly worried.

• sweendog

Dec 28, 2010 at 2:20 PM

It maybe Smith upfront

• sweendog

Dec 28, 2010 at 2:25 PM

where the f**k is ranger .. come on now .. hopefully after 66 mins 0-0 ranger comes on a sets up carrol ..