Newcastle Linked Again With Portuguese Striker?

News in Portugal today,  that Sporting Lisbon have agreed to sell their striker – Yannick Djalo –  if they receive offers of £3.5M for him.

Yannick Djalo – available for around £3.5M

Newcastle were said to be interested in the striker in August, but now with a new manager at Newcastle, we have no idea if Alan Pardew will be interested in this player, or even if Djalo was an initial target of Newcastle United in the summer.

The fee has been agreed after Djalo met with the the club President, Jose Eduardo Bettencourt, and it looks like Yannick is very keen to leave Portugal for pastures anew.

As we said before, there was a lot of news circulating of Newcastle’s interest in August, and that the Tyneside club even had a bid rejected last summer, and we had around four articles on the forward, who can also play on either wing..

Djalo has been at Sporting Lisbon since 1997, when he was 11, and has appeared 82 times with 18 goals for the Spanish club.

He has played for all the Portugal youth sides through Portugal U21 and Portugal B sides, and was also on loan to Casa Pia from 2005-2006, and appeared there 26 times with 16 goals for the Lisbon-based club.

Earlier this season he was called up to the full Portuguese National side for two UEFA Euro 2012 qualifiers, and in early September  he played the last six minutes of the 4–4 home draw against Cyprus, replacing Hugo Almeida and gaining his first cap for his country.

The 24 year-old was born in Bissau, Guinea-Bissau, a former Portuguese colony in West Africa,  that gained its independence in 1974, but the player has lived most of his life in Lisbon.

Djalo is under contract until 2013, and Everton manager David Moyes may be interested in signing the player, as he was also linked with the player in August, and of course Everton will be without Tim Cahill in January, as he is off playing in the Asia Cup.

If Djalo is still on Newcastle’s wanted list it wouldn’t be a huge surprise if Newcastle went after the player – since he seems to have what Alan Pardew seems to be after – speed and skill on the wing.

The news in August was that Spurs had bid £4M for the player, but nothing else was heard after that, but at that time, Djalo’s agent Lionel Silva admitted his client wanted to move to the Premier League.

• baro

Dec 31, 2010 at 7:38 PM

Yannick Djalo is still young and is very talented player. I would love him at our club. He plays on the wing or striker. We were interested in him in the summer for a while and I believe a 5 million offer was rejected and now they want 3.5 million?

• geoff777

Dec 31, 2010 at 7:46 PM

?Not another Hugo¿

• GeordieGerman

Dec 31, 2010 at 7:51 PM

Howay man Ed, Lisbon is Portugal and not Spain.

Other than that, I would prefer Yannick Djalo (young and fit) to Keane (older and always injured).

• GeordieGerman

Dec 31, 2010 at 8:11 PM

Here’s a video. He’s got a great (Drogba) back kick.

• GeordieGerman

Dec 31, 2010 at 8:15 PM

As far as I can see, Yannick Djalo would be on the bench at Everton after the return of Cahill.

• HaZ-NUFC

Dec 31, 2010 at 8:15 PM

we need a new right back because Simpson is not good enough

newcastle team for sunday should be ;

harper
    taylor williamson colo fergusan
    barton Nolan tiote enrique
    ranger loverkrands

• Whitecap

Dec 31, 2010 at 8:17 PM

£3.5 million sounds too low for a youngish Portuguese international striker. He will have many teams interested at that price.

• Cockney Magpie

Dec 31, 2010 at 8:22 PM

Who is this jonathon legear we are supposedly interested in from anderlecht? anybody know about him?

• free giveaways

Dec 31, 2010 at 8:28 PM

I would prefer Robbie Keane

• HaZ-NUFC

Dec 31, 2010 at 8:30 PM

jonathon legear has scored 14 goals in 99 games for anderlecht………….

• GeordieGerman

Dec 31, 2010 at 8:31 PM

This is from Transfer Market (Germany):

Newcastle eye Blackpool goalkeeper Matt Gilks and Belgian star Jonathan Legear

My son (11) talks a lot about Legear. Thinks he’s under recognised.

• GeordieGerman

Dec 31, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Legear helped Anderlecht to the Belgian title last term and is renowned for both his pace and the danger that he poses from set-pieces.

Newcastle could well be on the look-out for another tricky winger, given the broken leg suffered by Frenchman Hatem Ben Arfa , who had just begun to endear himself to the St James’ Park crowd following a loan move from Marseille.

• Sinner

Dec 31, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Signing him would be an absolute stunner!!
    Signing Ben arfa would be a real steal!!x2 (^

• Magpies-till-d3ath

Dec 31, 2010 at 8:38 PM

He’s still only 24 and a very good potential, He’d be a good signing for us, He’ll give us width and cross balls for Carroll and score goals.

• GeordieGerman

Dec 31, 2010 at 8:46 PM

He’s another (Dennis Wise) Video 🙂

The one thing that worries me is them taken a season or so to settle into the EPL. 🙁

• chuck

Dec 31, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Erm, you mention speed and skill on the wing ?
    Thought the guy was a striker and one with 18 goals in 82 games, thats one every four and a half games ?
    Probably get a better idea of his scoring record from what he`s done this season.
    However all in all think we could do better.

• GeordieGerman

Dec 31, 2010 at 9:15 PM

chuck, He plays in both positions, but prefers wing. This is what my son (11) says. “He doesn’t get many goals, but his passed and set ups are about 1-2”.

• sweendog

Dec 31, 2010 at 9:25 PM

top class … rather him that keane .. still unproven but he has pace to burn, skill and a good shot .. would give keane a run for his money already and he’s only 24 ..

• BWFFBW

Dec 31, 2010 at 9:35 PM

@ Sweendog — Well said!! I agree 100% with you. Hopefully Fatty will pony up the money for the youngster.

• GeordieGerman

Dec 31, 2010 at 9:39 PM

My son’s only 11, but ask him who plays for whom in European or Brazilian top league football and he will tell you. Pity that other than maths he’s not like that at school.

• GeordieGerman

Dec 31, 2010 at 9:43 PM

Yannick Djalo is only 5,7 which would complement Andy. We need a short fast striker. this guy could kick a ball through the defences legs and follow it.

• BeeGuy

Dec 31, 2010 at 9:43 PM

I’ll go with the youth and speed every day. No retreads or retirees for me.

Happy New Year all. My resolution is to get out of Waxhaw & meet Ed over in Raleigh this year. Also, continuing not reading those church message boards along the road (third year running for that!)

• StuW

Dec 31, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Would be a good player to get at Toon. I feel that if this is true, we will not be the only club after him.

• batty

Dec 31, 2010 at 9:56 PM

you lot better toughen up because batty will be back soon to liven the place up abit 🙂

• GeordieGerman

Dec 31, 2010 at 10:01 PM

Happy New Year BeeGuy, I’m of out as well now, off to a party. Couple of hours without transfers in my head (I hope but easier in Germany as in Newcastle I suppose). Wish you luck with your resolutions. My resolution is the same as every year. Give up smoking. Well it’s 11 pm here in Germany so I have time for a few last cigarettes.

• BWFFBW

Dec 31, 2010 at 10:20 PM

All–What about Ranger? He seems to be a younger version of Djalo. I believe Ranger is more forward type player than a winger, but a buy like Djalo would/could cut into Ranger’s time.

Thoughts?

• Big Dave

Dec 31, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Batty @ 25 I think I might just be joining you mate.

• baro

Dec 31, 2010 at 10:23 PM

Happy New YEARS Everybody!

• cynicaltoonfan

Dec 31, 2010 at 10:49 PM

Just saw that we have been linked with a sensational swoop for Charles N’zogbia
    Imagine him on one wing and Ben Arfa on the other with Carroll and Keane/ Nolan upfront !!
    Well i am allowed to dream right ?

• branunited

Dec 31, 2010 at 10:55 PM

happy new year to all, djalo is a boy very talented,if this is true will be a good signing for us, i liked hugo almeida, but signed for besiktas.
    djalo is fast,strong, goals scored made, maybe it would be good complement of carroll.
    i have always had impossible dream, his name is lukas podolski, i would like loan signing, or fernando gago, is difficult, as for me speak english.
    @georgiegerman.
    is difficult for me speak english, i understand, but i speak in a sixty percent
    sometimes why i support a translator.
    greetings

• pearceet

Dec 31, 2010 at 10:57 PM

branunited

Where are you from mate?

• daffy

Dec 31, 2010 at 11:02 PM

Well here we are silly season + NUFC linked with anyone under 40 with 2 legs! Any way all the best to all , except on 16th Jan!

• branunited

Dec 31, 2010 at 11:04 PM

@ pearceet, mate, I’m from Mexico, currently living in that country, so I can hardly English.
    you may not want to know, but I dream of playing in newcastle.
    Greetings

• branunited

Dec 31, 2010 at 11:07 PM

@ pearceet

you may not want to know, but I dream of playing in newcastle.
    Greetings

• pearceet

Dec 31, 2010 at 11:07 PM

branunited

I went to mexico a couple of years ago, amazing country.

have you seen the film goal? Santiago Munez? He had a dream it could be you soon!

Maybe you could bring some trophies to Newcastle!

• tjshawsey

Dec 31, 2010 at 11:10 PM

Other than what ED has said, we are looking into signing SWP on loan. We don’t want to pay all of his wages, which proves a stumbling block as although City would pay part of the wages, they’d rather not due to the fact they want to get rid of him! Also are scouts are watching a lot of QPR games, so i’m guessing that means we are looking at Taarabt (Hope I’ve spelt it right). In any case Happy New Year All!

• Geordie-Gerrard7

Dec 31, 2010 at 11:16 PM

cynical were you see about zoggs pal? id love him and benny boiy on the wings.

• branunited

Dec 31, 2010 at 11:17 PM

pearceet.

I watched the movie a couple of times, and made me mourn, remember my dream, and at times I felt at the fabulous St James Park
    I know 16-year free agent, I am currently a third-division team in Mexico.
    know the way that I can go to newcastle testing.
    speak Spanish?
    I give you my email brandon.2305 @ hotmail.com, there may be how we contact mate.

• pearceet